Help with first wheel build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Help with first wheel build

I'm looking to build my first wheel. I had a rear 27.5 rebuilt into a 29er a while back, it was a DT M1700 wheel.

I need a 27.5 rear now and though I should have all the parts (bar the hub) to slap it all back together. I'll be using the same DT350 straightpull boost hub that was originally built on the wheel. So the spokes I have should be good to go.

I have a truing stand and dishing tool as well as spoke keys

A few things I'd love some help deciding on:

Nipples and nipple tools - I believe I need 2x12 nipples and I was looking at the DT squorx (same that came off the old wheel) or Sapim double square. Any opinions which would be better? I've rounded some squorx nipples in the past retruing wheels and have read that it is not uncommon to do this with aluminium nipples. I will need to buy the driver (torx or square) for either of these options.

Washers - Are washers actually required and/or recommended? I read conflicting opinions on this. The rim has eyelets if that makes a difference

Spoke Prep - I keen reading about using linseed oil, motor oil, wet chain lube ... is there any particular reason to use one over the other?

mtbr member

mtbpete
    In my experience Sapim alloy nipples are more durable to true and more corrosion resistant than DT Swiss alloy nipples. The double square are a good choice because they thread starts 1mm further into the nipple and also extends 1mm further into the nipple which allows you run 1mm longer spokes to ensure that they are threaded far enough into the nipple to avoid fatigue. If the rim manufacturer recommends washers then I would use them. In my experience all these lubes you mentioned work about the same and I would use any of them. The linseed does have some benefit of congealing after a while and keeping nipples from unscrewing, but if you have the tension high enough and check after a couple rides the linseed oil is not necessary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    In my experience Sapim alloy nipples are more durable to true and more corrosion resistant than DT Swiss alloy nipples. The double square are a good choice because they thread starts 1mm further into the nipple and also extends 1mm further into the nipple which allows you run 1mm longer spokes to ensure that they are threaded far enough into the nipple to avoid fatigue. If the rim manufacturer recommends washers then I would use them. In my experience all these lubes you mentioned work about the same and I would use any of them. The linseed does have some benefit of congealing after a while and keeping nipples from unscrewing, but if you have the tension high enough and check after a couple rides the linseed oil is not necessary.
    thanks for the advice. yeah i was leaning towards the sapim brass nipples as i keep hearing they're more forgiving to work with. Might order everything up and give it a go.

Rider
    I really like the Sapim aluminum with anti-seize on the threads and at the rim/washer interface. It will also dry over time and slightly increase the breakaway force, but once the nip is turning its smooth.

If you go for the double-square, the Park tool for the 3.2mm square has a huge variety of quality. I've had to file some, and others are too loose. So if you go with Park, you should order three and pick the best, send the rest back. Not sure the qc on other brands.