Has WTB stopped making the Laserdisc hubs?- Mtbr.com
    offroader
    Dec 2008

Has WTB stopped making the Laserdisc hubs?

They are no long on their website wtb.com and recently was on clearance on hucknroll?

ronbo613
    LaserDisc hubs are rebranded American Classics

Formerly of Kent
    In the past, perhaps.

Currently, definitely not. A simple image search will show key differences (besides FH body).

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I believe the internals are still the same no?

Former Bike Wrench
    The HucknRoll models were 2010 which are Bill Shook designed hubs (hence their striking similarity to the American Classic hubs).

However, the 2011 models are significantly different looking and don't look anything like American Classic hubs. They are still shown in WTB's store webpage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The models were 2010 which are Bill Shook designed hubs (hence their striking similarity to the American Classic hubs).

However, the 2011 models are significantly different looking and don't look anything like American Classic hubs. They are still shown in WTB's store webpage.

This is good to know. I bought one of the AC designed and built Laserdisc rear hubs from HuckNRoll last week after you posted about them being on sale for $50. With stainless steel cartridge bearings and a 24-point freehub, I couldn't pass it up. I'm going to have Tree Fort Bikes build it up with a Stan's Arch rim. It'll be my very own poor man's American Classic wheel!

Thanks for the tip.
    Experienced Crasher

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitar29 View Post
    This is good to know. I bought one of the AC designed and built Laserdisc rear hubs from HuckNRoll last week after you posted about them being on sale for $50. With stainless steel cartridge bearings and a 24-point freehub, I couldn't pass it up. I'm going to have Tree Fort Bikes build it up with a Stan's Arch rim. It'll be my very own poor man's American Classic wheel!

Thanks for the tip.
    Yep, I got mine and it is a AC clone...complete with the steel inserts on the freehub body which is awesome. I have spokes (Wheelsmith DB14) and a rim (Sun EQ27 29er) on order to build up a nice 29er rear wheel.

mtbr member
    I hope they finally killed off that awful cam-gear hub! While it technically has 24 points, its so slack that the actual engagement feels like a 12 point hub.

Id pawn it off on ebay for a profit and buy damn near anything else. I went back to a deore hub just so i could get off the WTB LDL!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Pull off the freehub and post up a pic of the engagement system.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I hope they finally killed off that awful cam-gear hub! While it technically has 24 points, its so slack that the actual engagement feels like a 12 point hub.

Id pawn it off on ebay for a profit and buy damn near anything else. I went back to a deore hub just so i could get off the WTB LDL!
    It is the 6 pawl, 12 contact point, 24 tooth Freehub body that both WTB and American Classic use. It feels plenty tight right now, are you saying it loosens up with use?

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    It is the 6 pawl, 12 contact point, 24 tooth Freehub body that both WTB and American Classic use. It feels plenty tight right now, are you saying it loosens up with use?
    They loosen up a fair bit once broken in. The cool thing about that system is that all of the pawls engage at the same time, instead of each pawl having it's own spring and engaging at will. The downside is that there is a lot of lash between the click and engagement. It's hard to notice while riding though. Unless your a POE whore you won't be bothered by it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    the laserdisc hub is not in 2012 catalog anymore.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ivarulz View Post
    uh no! no more inexpensive - quality hubs
    Last edited by CupOfJava; 12-01-2011 at 06:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    They loosen up a fair bit once broken in. The cool thing about that system is that all of the pawls engage at the same time, instead of each pawl having it's own spring and engaging at will. The downside is that there is a lot of lash between the click and engagement. It's hard to notice while riding though. Unless your a POE whore you won't be bothered by it.
    So my understanding is that you're referring to the 6 pawl system when you say loosen up, not play in the bearings, correct?

I currently use a DT Swiss 340 hub on one wheelset and a Bontrager hub on another wheelset. My intention was to get a rear wheel built with the WTB hub so I could have a wheel with a 24 tooth freewheel versus the 18 tooth freewheel of my DT hub. I'm hoping the 6 pawl system will be durable enough for me. I'm a XC trail rider and I ride a Niner Sir 9.
    Experienced Crasher

mtbr member
    Have you looked at the DT Swiss 350 hub? The 18 tooth star rachets can be upgraded to 36 tooth star rachets.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitar29 View Post
    So my understanding is that you're referring to the 6 pawl system when you say loosen up, not play in the bearings, correct?

I currently use a DT Swiss 340 hub on one wheelset and a Bontrager hub on another wheelset. My intention was to get a rear wheel built with the WTB hub so I could have a wheel with a 24 tooth freewheel versus the 18 tooth freewheel of my DT hub. I'm hoping the 6 pawl system will be durable enough for me. I'm a XC trail rider and I ride a Niner Sir 9.
    They both loosen up in my experience. I can't directly speak for the WTB hubs but the AM classic I had had pretty sloppy bearing bores. So the bearing would actually be loose in the hub shell. Fixable, but sloppy QC. That hub was from 99 or so, not sure if they have gotten better.

I would equate the 24 POE on the WTB/AM classic hubs to be pretty similar to the DT star ratchets. I'm at a loss for how to explain it but the AM Classic design has a lot of lash between when it clicks and when it actually engages. The DT design on the other hand clicks and engages instantaneously. Even if they were the same design, you can't tell a difference going from 18 to 24.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ivarulz View Post
    They appear to be still on their horribly over priced Stryker wheelsets though.

I'll take my chances for $50 on the rear hub