mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Hans dampf 29x2.35 super slow

Picked up a pair of these locally and they are a beast to keep rolling. My use is light xc. Thinking about keeping the front tire and going with a smaller faster tire in the back. What's a good suggestion. Lots of southern sand, roots, and mud.

mtbr member
    Bontrager XR-3 or XR-2, or 3 front and 2 rear.
    Do the math.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Bontrager XR-3 or XR-2, or 3 front and 2 rear.
    I don't think the XR2 can cope with roots and mud.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I guess it's all where you are coming from cause for Enduro style riding the HDs are rockets.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I guess it's all where you are coming from cause for Enduro style riding the HDs are rockets.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I will say for climbing and technical obstacles they are amazing, but keeping up speed on hard pack and flat ground i can literally feel them sucking the energy from my legs

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    How about seeing what other folks in your area riding like you do are using---seems a more relevant approach to finding something that works

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    They're boat anchors on soft ground. The knobs aren't tapered and they sink in and suck out. But on hardpack they've always been ok. Not Racing Ralph but not bad on the front.

transmitter~receiver
    Yeah... they're not really a light XC tire. They look like freakin' moto treads.
    Getting ideas from locals is a good thing. Gotta take shop advice with a grain of salt. Maybe go to a race and see what experienced riders that care about speed are riding in your terrain.
    I ride Maxxis Ikons in similar-sounding Central Texas terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I don't think the XR2 can cope with roots and mud.
    Always a balance between traction and rolling resistance in wet loose stuff. The XR3 is what I use for eastern trail riding, rocks, wet roots, and some mud. I also use the XR-4, which has a bit more noticeable more rolling resistance.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    They're boat anchors on soft ground. The knobs aren't tapered and they sink in and suck out. But on hardpack they've always been ok. Not Racing Ralph but not bad on the front.
    The new HD may be better in soft conditions, no?

mtbr member
    You can always try a Nobby Nic. That's what I run with my HD. I'm still using the older Trailstar compound and I really like it. My areas are pretty much all hardpack dirt...

mtbr member
    The HD isnt bad up front. Toss an ikon out back and you're good! The HD out back is going to feel like dragging an anchor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Most shops here are setting the racers up with ardent race up front and ikon in the back. Got these tires on black friday sale for 35 a pair. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Put the old bontrager 3 on in the back. Im not trying to go fast, but my rides are usually 35-50 miles. After the first 10 i could really feel it in my legs. Will try and drum up an ikon for the back and see how that set up feels.

Live Free & Ride
    When I threw an Ikon 2.35 on the back...riding got faster and more enjoyable. Ended up with a Barzo of the same size on the front and have not looked back. Lots of great rolling tires available these days, its just a matter of trying something that works for your local trails. Word of mouth and seeing what other fast riders are using can work too.
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The HD isnt bad up front. Toss an ikon out back and you're good! The HD out back is going to feel like dragging an anchor.
    The HD (the previous generation, not the newly revamped one) isn't really a good front tire, it lacks any decent side knobs and becomes unpredictable when leaning the bike over. The new version looks much better in this regard, but I'd still choose the MM over the HD for the front.

Barely in control
    Yes, for light XC I suppose the MM does beat the HD in the front.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Yes, for light XC I suppose the MM does beat the HD in the front.
    Well, the MM has more grip than the HD, no doubt... but it also heavier and rolls slower, which is the main complain of the OP.

For light XC the Magic Mary is plain overkill, but everybody is different I guess.

I'd keep the HD front and go for a lighter, faster rear... like a Racing Ralph (for harder soils) or a Rocket Ron (for softer soils).

The HD is not a bad front, but a very different tyre than say, a DHF. It has transition knobs that are not of the likes of many, but they offer more progressive grip for people that do not lean over as much as others.

The Ikon suggested is a fine choice too.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Shop was sold out of the ikon in the size i wanted and it would have been after Christmas before new stock came in. Got a vittoria mezcal to fit up on the rear. Reviews are good for everything but sticky mud

#pedalmasher
    Jul 2017
    I rolled a Hansdampf 2.35 front and a RazorRock 2.35 rear on my XC bike. The Hansdampf was the only tire that would hold in snotty corners, anything else and I was slowing down to make up for the lack of traction. Didn't seem like that were that much slower than Racing Ralph.

Rides all the bikes!
    Funny, I used an HD in my last local series XC race. I finished just as fast as normal, just slower uphill (extra 200+ grams) compared to the RaRa, but made up that time in the soft stuff by maintaining cornering speed. At no time did it feel slow. All the guys I was racing with got a laugh out of it (fast class).

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Like i said, I'm not a racer. Running flat out im sure i could produce consistently decent time with it, but on the long rides i prefer to do i can definitely feel a difference compared to my old bontrager tires. Kept the HD up front and swapped out for a mezcal in back. I did like the cornering and downhill confidence the hd gives. With a lighter smoother tire in the back the bike feels much better. If the ground turns to soup i can put it back on before i head out.

mtbr member
    +1 for the HD/Rock Razor combo ^^

RR rolls as quick as most... with great side knobs.

HD is an awesome front Trail/AM tire (except for true mud).

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"