Hadley hubs revisited- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hadley hubs revisited

anyone on Hadley rear hubs out there? i've heard their free hub bodies don't mar or gouge, great engagement and virtually bombproof. anyone know of breakage or is it a goldilocks tale, the perfect hub?

mtbr member
    It's not really a new product or anything. I think people have been on them for a couple decades now.

They're good, reliable hubs. Tons of people use them. They're definitely not winning any weight contests though, some people value that quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    anyone on Hadley rear hubs out there? i've heard their free hub bodies don't mar or gouge, great engagement and virtually bombproof. anyone know of breakage or is it a goldilocks tale, the perfect hub?
    I'm on them. They have been bombproof. I've used them two Seattle winters so far and the only thing I've done was add freehub oil.

They are a bit heavy compared to others but it comes with the reliability. Also the weight is at the right location on the wheels so I don't feel it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    there are lighter & maybe as reliable hubs, but not more reliable hubs. i changed my bearings after about 7,000 miles, not because they were shot, but getting a little notchy after year round riding in PNW. i service them @ the beginning & end of wet season. real easy w/ a few hub tools.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    there are lighter & maybe as reliable hubs, but not more reliable hubs. i changed my bearings after about 7,000 miles, not because they were shot, but getting a little notchy after year round riding in PNW. i service them @ the beginning & end of wet season. real easy w/ a few hub tools.
    Out of curiosity, what bearings did you replace them with? I'm still spinning fine just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Enduro Max. i'm not sure what Hadley uses
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    WI hubs are lighter and more reliable. I think they look better too, and they're cheaper. They're also 48pt instead of 72, so no free ride there.

Hadleys are just another option among quite a few very good options these days. They're definitely fantastic hubs, so if you have your eye on those specifically, go for it! You'll kick yourself for not buying what you wanted originally.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ive got 2 (1 barely used and for sale) and no problems at all. Researched hubs till my eyes beld and I chose the Hadley. This was a few years ago and more options are available now to confuse a buying decision. Shimano style free hub body is Titanium so no gouging. Super nice hubs, great engagement, roll well, and reliable. Really not that heavy.
    Balle Racing is the best source for these.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    not familiar w/ WI(White Industries?), but in what way are they more reliable?
    breezy shade

Wanna ride bikes?
    Enduro Max. i'm not sure what Hadley uses
    FYI Max bearings aren't really intended to be used in hubs, or any application that goes round and round in a circle. They're meant for use in a pivot that only goes back and forth. (I think there's a term for it, I forget).

Your hubs won't explode, but the bearings may die faster than you expect. Next time just use an Enduro or ABI Stainless bearing.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I've been running Hadley hubs for ~15 years. I'm about to lace a replacement Derby rim onto a rear hub I've now had on 3 different bikes so it's at least 10 years old. It was an easy conversion to 142 and the XD driver. The XD driver, similar to the carrier for 9 or 10 sp is "aircraft grade" titanium. Not sure exactly what that means other than it's high quality but I never had an issue with the carrier gouging and cassettes. It's a non-issue with 11 sp anyway.

They were meant to be racing hubs so they roll fast. That also means they are perhaps not as well sealed as other offerings. I overhaul mine every 6 months which is pretty simple. As for bearings, they are an easy replacement as well. On my last overhaul I noticed the XD driver bearing was notchy but not knowing the size I called Hadley. They sent my a replacement bearing for free w/ seals and Teflon lube. If that's not customer service then I don't know what is. I like supporting the little guy and worth noting that they're USA designed and manufactured.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    amen to all of that. my CS story goes like this;
    bought mine when they were 108 POE. special DOD( Dept. of Defense) titanium driver. had a driver problem they took care of but they couldn't replace w/DOD titanium 108 because of 1st Gulf War buying up all available DOD quality ti. they offered ALL of my money back & keep the 72 POE none ti driven hub. i passed on their generous offer, gladly kept the hub, so they sent me a complete set of their ti Hadley hub tools, Teflon oil & grease, springs, pawls & seal, for passing on the money back. i've been maintaining mine & friends ever since.
    i'm all in on Hadley

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I've been running Hadley hubs for ~15 years. I'm about to lace a replacement Derby rim onto a rear hub I've now had on 3 different bikes so it's at least 10 years old. It was an easy conversion to 142 and the XD driver. The XD driver, similar to the carrier for 9 or 10 sp is "aircraft grade" titanium. Not sure exactly what that means other than it's high quality but I never had an issue with the carrier gouging and cassettes. It's a non-issue with 11 sp anyway.

They were meant to be racing hubs so they roll fast. That also means they are perhaps not as well sealed as other offerings. I overhaul mine every 6 months which is pretty simple. As for bearings, they are an easy replacement as well. On my last overhaul I noticed the XD driver bearing was notchy but not knowing the size I called Hadley. They sent my a replacement bearing for free w/ seals and Teflon lube. If that's not customer service then I don't know what is. I like supporting the little guy and worth noting that they're USA designed and manufactured.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Oh yeah, the customer service is wonderful. I had an issue where my hub was dragging after I converted to a different axle size and XD driver. Called them up and the woman I spoke with figured out my problem quickly (my fault as I added a new seal and didn't remove the old one sort of hidden in the hub as I recall) but then she said they would also send me the tools and a bottle of the Teflon oil free of charge. These are the things I've read repeatedly about Hadley.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

Curmudgeon
    Iíve been on Hadley hubs for over ten years. Have three sets, two for Shimano and one with the XD freehub body. Their weight is not an issue since itís in the center, but still averaging about 100 grams per set more than other quality hubs. Their price is actually on the low end of the spectrum at only $450 per set. Hopes are cheaper but everything else in their class is more expensive.
    The 72 POE feature is really nice, especially when ratcheting up a technical trail obstacle. The titanium freehub body is excellent, zero marring issues. They have adjustable bearing preload to dial-in the perfect spin. As others have mentioned, Hadley hubs are super easy to service with basic tools. You can replace the main bearings using sockets as a drift. The stock bearings are Enduro ABEC-5, nothing special. The freehub rides on a needle bearing and also a deep groove radial ball bearing (easily removed with a cassette lockring tool).
    The light-contact hub seals are also simple to replace if you start losing the Hadley Teflon-based oil.
    Since I service so many hubs I made a custom bearing drift set from Delrin and a bolt, super easy to pop the main bearings in and out of the front and rear hub shells. I recently replaced some worn-out original main bearings (size 6804 and 6805) with ceramic hybrid bearings from Acer Racing. A great upgrade at a reasonable cost.
    I just finished building a gravel bike wheelset using White Industries XMR hubs (and Nextie carbon hoops). The hub quality is on par with my Hadleys. WI hubs also have ti freehubs and bearing preload adjustments. The cost (for color anodized) is about $90 more than Hadley. I need a 100 x 12 mm thru axle for the front that Hadley doesnít offer so I bought White Industries this time.
    I also have a set of Industry Nine hubs. They look pretty but overall I donít think theyíre superior to Hadley on WI. And Iíve had a few Kings and Hopes in the past, not impressed with either. Kings are probably the best manufacturing quality but require too much maintenance, have too much seal drag, and need special tools to really tear them down. Your mileage may varyÖ
    Hadley has no web site but they answer the phone promptly and they have the best customer service in the business.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    FYI Max bearings aren't really intended to be used in hubs, or any application that goes round and round in a circle. They're meant for use in a pivot that only goes back and forth. (I think there's a term for it, I forget).

Your hubs won't explode, but the bearings may die faster than you expect. Next time just use an Enduro or ABI Stainless bearing.
    so that's why... good info, thanks
    breezy shade

Wanna ride bikes?
    so that's why... good info, thanks
    No worries, you can/should also get the ABEC 5 version. It's only a couple bucks more and they're made to higher tolerances. People who know things about bearings seem to agree it's a nice step up from standard (ABEC 3), and the higher you go up the scale you reach a point of diminishing returns. I'm an ABEC 5 guy, bang for your buck.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I too, am a big fan of Hadley. I bought my first SS specific hub 135x10 bolt-on hubs. Plus my front was 100x10 through bolt that fit QR forks pre QR15's. That was 10plus years ago. The SS was able to convert to 142x12 TA the only SS specific 142x12 of it's time and only SS specific Ti free hub I know of. Riding SS's put a lot of torque on bearings and they do get thrashed but getting new bearings is never and issue. I actually bought some off amazon last rebuild. I've had CK's but had a lot of backlash with them, never an issue with Hadley's. The only other hub I've thought about are ONYX. They have a stainless steel SS free hub and a clutch direct engagement system.
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

I'm with stupid
    I love my hadleys. Been nothing but great and feel like they roll forever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    once again, thanks for the good, useful info
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    No worries, you can/should also get the ABEC 5 version. It's only a couple bucks more and they're made to higher tolerances. People who know things about bearings seem to agree it's a nice step up from standard (ABEC 3), and the higher you go up the scale you reach a point of diminishing returns. I'm an ABEC 5 guy, bang for your buck.
    breezy shade

Here, diagonally!
    I got mine used about 18 months ago, and am very happy with it. I did find that the axle end would rotate on the axle and tighten up the hub over time. Several layers of teflon tape on the threads cured that. Again the hub was used; not sure if the issue was related to that or not.

The hubs are very easy to service. I had a bearing go bad, so bought the bearing kit from Balle Racing along with the lube and seals. I got the Hadley tools as well.

The machining is pretty inside in case that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

J:

Hadley hubs revisited ...

is good...ghoood
    video=youtube;][/video]...

J:
    full size fhb not immune to gouging, though toughest I've found...the ss is my fav as well
    video=youtube;][/video]...

RIP Friendgirl
    Bought my hadley's second hand, older 36poe but they are very nice. The rear preload adj is a bit touchy, but everything is well made & there CS is outstanding.

The Ti fhb's can gouge a bit if used with cheaper cassette's without carriers, but are tougher than AL just not as bulletproof as tool steel that some hubs(DT) offers.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    I have them on 2 bikes. The bike from over 8 years ago...no issues with the hub ever. The bike from about 1 year ago (that was a downhill bike)...bearings were gritty and didn't spin freely at all. They are easy to service/clean, but I had to take to a shop for the bearing work. That being said, don't know if the quality lately is different, or the dh bike just wreaked havoc on it, but I'm gonna try different hubs on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    There have been three sets of Hadleyís in the house. Both my wife and I have sets from 2008. I had another that I sold.
    I have replaced the bearings on my 2008 hubs, moved from 135X10 to 142X12 and they now need another bearing replacement (2nd change in 10 seasons). My wifeís are still running smoothly but she doesnít ride nearly as much as I do having birthed 4 kids in the last 7 1/2 years.
    My hubs have also started making a creaking sound that I have yet to properly diagnose. Iím hoping itís nothing too serious. I would like to switch to the XD driver but itís $200. A new rear hub is $300.
    As others have mentioned, they are great hubs, very easy to work on if needed and someone is very helpful when you call to ask a question.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    but she doesnít ride nearly as much as I do having birthed 4 kids in the last 7 1/2 years

excuses....

mtbr member
    I have had my Hadley rear about a year now. not a great experience.

the first one I built up started skipping under load soon after i put it on my bike. it seems to skip when I am moving slowly and suddenly engage, like when I have just dropped down and incline with a punchy hill right after. I contacted Hadely and, after a series of pleasant emails, they sent me a new driver and some lube.

i sent the old driver back to them and put my wheel back together. same popping and skipping occurred. I took all of the spokes off my wheel and mailed the hub back to them (this was much cheaper than sending the whole wheel on my dime). they sent me a whole new hub, which i rebuilt the wheel.

the new hub didn't skip at all for a long time, but it's starting to now. it's rare but just enough to be annoying. I wanted to buy something really nice for my bike for once and i could have gotten a more reliable hub for less money in the end. as a single-speeder, i wanted a high POE, or I would have gotten a DT Swiss 350. If I could go back a year, I would have bought a Hope.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    the new hub didn't skip at all for a long time, but it's starting to now. it's rare but just enough to be annoying. I wanted to buy something really nice for my bike for once and i could have gotten a more reliable hub for less money in the end. as a single-speeder, i wanted a high POE, or I would have gotten a DT Swiss 350. If I could go back a year, I would have bought a Hope.
    I've had this and it was solved by replacing the pawls. I do service my hubs regularly with the correct oil. This was six months ago and I've just started to get occasional skipping again. I'd just replacement them regularly but they only sell them in a service kit which is something like $40.

I think next time I'll try the Hope hub like you said given the new ones have great POE and cheap service parts and there is actual information online about them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    I've had this and it was solved by replacing the pawls. I do service my hubs regularly with the correct oil. This was six months ago and I've just started to get occasional skipping again. I'd just replacement them regularly but they only sell them in a service kit which is something like $40.
    My first hub skipped right out of the box. The next one started skipping within three months. So I should just count on $120-160 in replacement pawls per year?

mtbr member
    Have you oiled the freehub? Not grease, but oil. I think you're getting thick-grease skipping. Especially now that its pretty cold in most places.

mtbr member
    It was close to 80 here in Austin a few days ago when I rode last. Yes, I used the oil that Hadley supplied me after cleaning the hub a week or so before that, after the skipping returned.

mtbr member
    Called Hadley HQ today to ask a question about removing the bearing on the XD driver. Mr. Hadley himself picked up the phone at 5:15 on a Friday. Anyhoo, he mentioned that they've had a new and improved pawl made out of 17-7 stainless steel available for retrofit for about 2 months. They're also now doing all their own polishing in-house and it helps with conditioning the steel.

Hadley hubs revisited-hadley-rebuild.jpg

mtbr member
    they've had a new and improved pawl made out of 17-7 stainless steel available for retrofit for about 2 months.
    interesting. why the new material for pawls? any chance that might help reduce the amont of skipping (which is not much, but enough to be annoying) that i experience?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    interesting. why the new material for pawls? any chance that might help reduce the amont of skipping (which is not much, but enough to be annoying) that i experience?
    I'm not sure but that's why I mentioned it. Certainly worth checking into. 909-946-6780

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I currently have 5 hadley hub sets in the fleet and will never ride anything else. Quality is second to none - thousands and thousands of miles on them all without any issues, POE is great and they look killer. And as mentioned earlier, customer service is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Called Hadley HQ today to ask a question about removing the bearing on the XD driver. Mr. Hadley himself picked up the phone at 5:15 on a Friday. Anyhoo, he mentioned that they've had a new and improved pawl made out of 17-7 stainless steel available for retrofit for about 2 months. They're also now doing all their own polishing in-house and it helps with conditioning the steel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hadley rebuild.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	1171335
    Is there an easy way to aquire these new and improved pawls?
    I just serviced my hub again today and there was a bit of metal glitter in it and the pawls had some wear to them.
    No idea if I'm doing something wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    Is there an easy way to aquire these new and improved pawls?
    I just serviced my hub again today and there was a bit of metal glitter in it and the pawls had some wear to them.
    No idea if I'm doing something wrong.
    Calling them is pretty easy. Or, you can source parts from here: https://www.balleracing.com/hadley-s...on-kits-parts/

As for whether you are doing it right this is a nice write-up: http://www.sicklines.com/tech/howto/hadleyoverhaul/

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I had Hadley parts all the way back in 1986 on a couple Haro Masters and a Redline RL-20II. They started makign sealed bearing bottom brackets for Redline 401s and Sugino BMX cranks.

Have had the same set of Hubs in my hardtail for 10 years. Just built up a new set of wheels for my 5010 and didn't go with Hadley hubs because of a long wait time quoted by the builder. Not really happy with the Chris King hubs though; they are very quiet even after a couple hundred miles.

Anyone running Hadley boost hubs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Resurrecting this thread.

So I bought a Hadley boost hub. Very impressed at first with the machining work and quality of material. Received the hub on beginning of June, built new wheels and went riding.

This week I noticed dust stick on the spokes, as if some viscous fluid had leaked. Opened the hub, and the seal was damaged.
    Hadley hubs revisited-img_20190725_131010.jpg

Also the freehub, despite being titanium, bared some minor damage due to hammering from the cassette. Minor damage, may had been caused by lack of torque when I installed the freehub. I'll keep an eye and see if gets worse over time. Took several photos to compare later.

Hadley hubs revisited-img_20190725_131038.jpg

Sent an email to Suzanne, who answered promply. Everyove that I heard talking about how great the customer service is, and she just said that the damage on the freehub is normal, and that I can buy a new seal at Bella Racing. Well... I won't argue about so little.

Still impressed by the overall good quality of the hub, despite the very premature failure of the seal. Less impressed with customer service. Sorry if I break a chain of good comments.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    Resurrecting this thread.

So I bought a Hadley boost hub. Very impressed at first with the machining work and quality of material. Received the hub on beginning of June, built new wheels and went riding.

This week I noticed dust stick on the spokes, as if some viscous fluid had leaked. Opened the hub, and the seal was damaged.

Name:	IMG_20190725_131010.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	1267311

Also the freehub, despite being titanium, bared some minor damage due to hammering from the cassette. Minor damage, may had been caused by lack of torque when I installed the freehub. I'll keep an eye and see if gets worse over time. Took several photos to compare later.

Name:	IMG_20190725_131038.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	1267313

Sent an email to Suzanne, who answered promply. Everyove that I heard talking about how great the customer service is, and she just said that the damage on the freehub is normal, and that I can buy a new seal at Bella Racing. Well... I won't argue about so little.

Still impressed by the overall good quality of the hub, despite the very premature failure of the seal. Less impressed with customer service. Sorry if I break a chain of good comments.
    You should have just bought the seal from Suzanne. My guess is she would have thrown some lube and ther seals in with it. Maybe even some pawls. Balle Racing is also a reputable vendor but doubtful they will fill your stocking with some extras.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    You should have just bought the seal from Suzanne. My guess is she would have thrown some lube and ther seals in with it. Maybe even some pawls. Balle Racing is also a reputable vendor but doubtful they will fill your stocking with some extras.
    I exchanged emails with her, and she told me to buy from Balle... Bought two, just in case. Price of the seal is less than shipping. I do have the lube, although not that specific one. Still a teflon lube.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    I exchanged emails with her, and she told me to buy from Balle... Bought two, just in case. Price of the seal is less than shipping. I do have the lube, although not that specific one. Still a teflon lube.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Next time call. They are old school. I suspect your opinion of their CS will change.

But welcome to the Hadley club! I'm still running 10 yr old hubs on my Turner RFX. They've been laced to 4 different rims and on 3 different bikes in that time. Bomber except for maybe the seals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I've had a Hadley on the rear since about 2005/6. It has been on multiple bikes and has had very little maintenance - I changed the bearings maybe 5 years ago.

The freehub is now starting to jump but I think that is from lack of maintenance so hopefully a rebuild sorts that out (Autumn has been particularly wet this year in the UK).

I have only had Hadley and Hope hubs going back 20 years and no real issues with either.

It is good to hear others have had a similarly good experience with Hadley.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have Hadleyís both SS specific to geared freehub sets. I also bought the Hope Trials/SS hub this year.
    Hadleyís are amazing and Iíve owned them over a decade and have had them on many different frames. They make a 100x9 front axle before QR15 and also made a 135x12 axle before 142x12 and had a 1 piece axle replacement. They still support and have all the seals and replacement parts and you can sources other bearings too.
    Hadley is a great American company and Hope is a great UK company. I like their hubs.
    I had CK hubs but they needed servicing to frequently and I ride my bikes a lot.
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Your bike sucks
    I've owned 2 hadley rears. One wheelset I sold w/ a bike and I wish I hadn't. They are my fav.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    I've owned 2 hadley rears. One wheelset I sold w/ a bike and I wish I hadn't. They are my fav.
    i was on Hadley exclusively for about 15 years on a 26" bike. bought a friends 27" w/ Chris King hubs, same POE. i'm a fan of both. in today's world, 72 POE is old school. I, myself, am satisfied w/ old school. i just can't relegate perfectly functioning components to the garbage. i plan on using these hubs for the duration of my riding days, no matter how long they last
    '
    '
    Last edited by nhodge; 12-14-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    one more chapter in my Hadley saga: I bought a rear hub about three years ago. the first one skipped like crazy, totally maddening! I sent the hub back and Hadley replaced it outright. kind of a pain but they stood behind their product. the second hub performed well for a few rides, then started skipping. I decided to just ride and and not let it bug me, but like Chinese water torture, I always know that a skip is coming, but the inconsistency of it keeps me on edge. maybe I am neurotic (OK, I am neurotic about my bike working perfectly!) but it's been bugging me.

I pulled my driver the other day and took a long, hard look at everything. the pawls are lubed, none of the pawls are damaged, and the drive ring teeth are perfectly fine. however, when I reassemble it and turn the driver very slowly, you can hear the problem, I think.

The freehub has four pawls, and they should engage in pairs. you can hear one pair engage with a solid "click" when they do. the opposite set of pawls, though, don't engage at exactly the same time. so you hear a "click-click" when they do. my theory is that the hub skips on those rare occasions when one of the pair of pawls engages and the other doesn't.

https://youtu.be/y2FszSW-MZ0

listening to the video above, is that theory plausible, or am I nuts? I would hate to bug Hadley again after all this time, but I don't want to throw any more money at this hub.

*edit* looking back at this thread, I've had this hub for over four years now! It's amazing that I've tolerated it for this long. it just shows how cheap I am.

mtbr member
    And lube is Teflon lube and not grease? Maybe you just got a lemon? If anything, I'd contact them again and get a new spring and the improved (hardened) pawls.

On the other hand, this is the 2nd hub with the same problem so maybe it's time to move on from Hadley.

mtbr member
    And lube is Teflon lube and not grease? Maybe you just got a lemon? If anything, I'd contact them again and get a new spring and the improved (hardened) pawls.

On the other hand, this is the 2nd hub with the same problem so maybe it's time to move on from Hadley.
    It's the bottle of special lube that Hadley sent me.

mtbr member
    ah ha! I pulled the pawls out and took another look. one pair of the pawls shows identical wear. the edges that should catch the drive ring are worn round! rather than allow any more comments from the peanut gallery (no offense), I'll send some photos to Hadley.

Hadley hubs revisited-hadley-pawls.jpg

*edit* Hadley got back to me within an hour. they are hooking me up with some fresh pawls. they said the new version of the pawls are much more durable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've been to the shop where they are made. The internals look simply amazing and he obviously takes great pride in what they make.

I'm curious though. My boost rear weighs in at 321g. It that heavy?

They let me take a few pics of the internals going into my hub
    Hadley hubs revisited-20180524_164129.jpg

I was awestruck at the level of machining that went into the componenets
    Hadley hubs revisited-20180524_164101.jpg

Hadley hubs revisited-img-20180602-wa0005.jpg

mtbr member
    It's comparatively heavy. A dt 180 boost hub weighs 207g!

I think 300ish is perfect. That weight means big, smooth bearings.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Hadley FTW...

I got the rare, raw titanium Singlespeed R12.0 hub. Yeah, it's heavy. But, centered inside the 29er wheel... you barely ever feel the heft:
    Hadley hubs revisited-hadley.jpg
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I finally got my hands on a Hadley rear hub after many years of wondering what-if and boy did these fall out of favor. Some chatter every 2 years or so, but seem almost non existent presence?
    What gives?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm currently using Hadley Boost 28 holes hubs with Santa Cruz Reserve hoops. Still current and still present.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommybees View Post
    I finally got my hands on a Hadley rear hub after many years of wondering what-if and boy did these fall out of favor. Some chatter every 2 years or so, but seem almost non existent presence?
    What gives?
    Having an actual website would be a huge step forward.

In 2020, it's kind of insanity not to have a website.

wuss
    I had a wheelset with Hadley hubs for 10 years untill I had to switch to boost.

Currently I have DT 180ís and 350ís. Also had Kings, I9, Mavic and Shimano.

Out of all of these, nothing rolled like Hadley. They were also really solid and customer service was excelent.

Only bigger downsides are required work for conversions, weight and lack of support / parts in Europe.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommybees View Post
    What gives?
    I have two Hadley rear hubs. Functionally they work fine but neither one holds oil like they're supposed to.

I tried many times to fix the issue with new seals they sent, only to have the hub puke the oil all over the place on a ride. Makes a mess.

I even bought the second hub just to see if the first was a fluke. Nope, all the oil had escaped by the 2-3 ride. After speaking with them again all I got was a "sorry".

So after trying twice to support them, I'm forced to move on.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 671Ridah View Post

I'm curious though. My boost rear weighs in at 321g. It that heavy?
    If it had a steel axle, I find that weight acceptable. My WI boost rear is 300g.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Built out the new Hadley w/XD onto an 27.5 RF C ARC 31 rim. Total weight was 1920g with tape, cassette , stem and 2.6 Vit Agarro ...so pretty happy about that.
    After a few short rides, I can say, I got exactly what I was looking for. These roll really nice, not too loud yet (nothing that a little sticky bar oil wont fix) and most importantly way stiffer and dialed then my last hub. That hub used to kill me when I could hear a tickty tick of brake rub on hard turns, well maybe even not so hard turns, from the flex and deflection inherent to the crappy bearing set up. This thing runs like it is built on jeweled bearings. There is no flex, noticeably FAST even thought the seals are still brand new! I have not timed myself yet on my local trails, but really happy so far.
    Thanks for the advice.

BTW @ Onespeed, are you really running oil, no bearing seals? That is pretty old school, but props for doing it. I haven't seen an oil filler hole on a hub in a long time. And it has gotta suck with disc brakes + oil leaks trashing everything.
    You might want to try popping the bearing seals, washing the grease out, add 1 seal back in, + synth 5 wt oil and snap the final seal back in. If the grease is clean and good, you just need to mostly get it out. That way you get an oil loaded bearing with a bit of a seal back up on the hub. You probably know that but just in case...