Grippy (Wet Riding) 29er Trail Tires??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Grippy (Wet Riding) 29er Trail Tires??

All the Maxxis MaxGrip 29 tires are all DH casing. They don't even have Maxgrip DHF is DD or Exo+. Wet riding season is upon us, any recommendations on a 29 Trail Tire for wet conditions (and soft compound)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wingsno19 View Post
    All the Maxxis MaxGrip 29 tires are all DH casing. They don't even have Maxgrip DHF is DD or Exo+. Wet riding season is upon us, any recommendations on a 29 Trail Tire for wet conditions (and soft compound)?
    Highroller II, Magic Mary, Vigilante, Verdict Wet, Shorty, etc. Tires with a lot of void/negative space work really well in the wet. Ones with knobs closer together comparatively do not. Tires with minimal to no transition knobs like the DHF can get a bit sketchy in the wet, but serviceable. Compound is just one thing in the equation that makes a good wet tire. I choose my tread pattern first, compound second. I usually get the softest tire compound for the casing I want. Sometimes, that tire compound isn't available in your desired casing. So you get the less sticky one, or go to another brand.

FYI, MaxxTerra is a soft compound. Just not the softest available. There's a reason why MaxxGrip is only generally found in DH casings and it's because they are DH race tires. Not really designed to last even half a season through regular riding. Most park rats(non-racers who frequent bike parks) generally choose a harder compound tire so that they're not spending $150+ on tires after every park weekend.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The riding around here are a lot of wet rock slabs. I am not as worried about clearing mud. More about grip. I ride Maxterra and there is a huge difference between that and MaxGrip. Right now I am using MaxGrip with DH casings but would prefer something not so heavy. MaxGrip is found in tons of Maxxis trail tires, but all 27.5, none 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Eeeehh you’re kinda SOL on that front. Most other manufacturers’ softer compounds are roughly equivalent to the MaxxTerras. Schwalbe has the purple ultra soft compound but only for DH casings in 27.5.

Theoretically, if you’re riding rock slabs all the time, the more knobs in contact with the rock, the more grip you’re going to have. Have you thought about a tread pattern that puts more rubber on the ground instead?
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That might be how I have to go, or just use the DH tires. Thx

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Much diff in weight between the new foldable DH & DD maxxis tires? I think the Assegai was around 30-50 grams. Have one on the front & its too much unless you are in steep, loose & off-camber.

turtles make me hot
    What kind of width are you looking for? Maybe the Bontrager XR4? It comes in 29x2.4.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    What kind of width are you looking for? Maybe the Bontrager XR4? It comes in 29x2.4.
    I have a strong preference for the SE4 version but that has been a surprisingly good at all sorts of riding tire. Outstanding at one place where I ride known for greased sharp rock. I like popular Maxxis tires too so can attest to the "4" being good is good in the transitions.

Wet vs mud comes to mind. The "4" Bontragers don't pack up as fast as the Maxxis models I like but for wet rocks and wet blue groove stuff their "3" tires and a WTB Riddler are good too and feel faster overall. I have Riddler rear and Trail Boss front on a hard tail I ride all over and they're sure capable and good in the wet for how fast they are but you need know that Riddler center is not a mud tire.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    I find the challenge to be balancing good soft soil grip with good performance on roots and wet rocks. Tires like the Shorty and Mary are great at digging in but the long corner lugs can lose grip over roots.

The Assegai has proven a really good tire in the wet for me. Quite aggressive and will bite in soft soil, but knobs are flat and close enough that it’s not squirmy on wet roots and rocks.

I’ve also been really liking the Michelin Wild Enduro combo. Try a set of those in a Magi-X compound front/Gum-X rear. Michelin knows rubber compounds, and I’ve found these to grip great in all conditions despite their aggressive shoulder lugs.

I would also suggest considering a lighter tire (EXO/EXO+) with a CushCore XC or other insert, run at lower PSI. Better grip, feel and faster rolling in nearly all conditions compared to a DD/DH casing, and at similar weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Assegai looks great but not available it MaxxGrip 29. Hope Maxxis figures out soon that many are riding 29ers these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    https://r2-bike.com/MAXXIS-Tire-Mini...axxGrip-TR-EXO
    https://r2-bike.com/MAXXIS-Tire-Mini...axxGrip-TR-EXO
    ...And i was read lot about Michelin Wild Enduro and there is only good words about it.(Magi-X at front must have)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    FYI, MaxxTerra is a soft compound. Just not the softest available. There's a reason why MaxxGrip is only generally found in DH casings and it's because they are DH race tires. Not really designed to last even half a season through regular riding. Most park rats(non-racers who frequent bike parks) generally choose a harder compound tire so that they're not spending $150+ on tires after every park weekend.
    I'm not sure about that, maybe at other parks that have less rocks and roots and drier weather, I only run maxx grip tires on my DH bike as do all my riding pals and majority of people in the bike park (whistler), I find anything less isn't good enough, and all the DH tires pretty much come in maxx grip or dual compound nothing in between. This season has been my lowest number of dh days at around 65 with a couple weeks to go.

Luckily my trail bike is 27.5 so I can get exo casing maxx grip minions!

Edit- ^Nikola with the rare find!
    Last edited by kevin267; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Assegai looks great but not available it MaxxGrip 29. Hope Maxxis figures out soon that many are riding 29ers these days.
    I'm on a DD maxxgripp Assegai best tire I have used on wet rocks and roots. It will pack up with sticky mud though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Are those 29? I don't see that on the Maxxis site

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Are those 29? I don't see that on the Maxxis site
    Yes, competitive cycle and worldwide cycle have them

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Avoid magic mary "soft" compound, that's not soft by any means and on wet hard surfaces it's the worst tyre i have ever used.
    Dhf maxxterra is fine, vigilante high grip is good

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by davideb87 View Post
    Avoid magic mary "soft" compound, that's not soft by any means and on wet hard surfaces it's the worst tyre i have ever used.
    Dhf maxxterra is fine, vigilante high grip is good
    Dont know where you riding, but here in the Alps, when its wet and muddy i prefer the Magic Mary SG Soft (front n' back) over the DHF\DHR2 MaxxTerra Exo+ i had before - give me much more grip in these conditions.

So far based on my experience :
    - Mixed conditions - Magic mary SG Soft front\back or MM SG soft\HD SG Soft
    - Dry n' loose over hard pack \ bike parks - DHF\DHR2 DD

OP - Schwalbe released not to long ago 29"\2.35 Magic Mary SG UltraSoft.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Assegai, certainly much better than the Minions in the wet and I actually prefer it to Shorty or Mary. Mainly because larger, flatter lugs work much better on wet roots and rocks, while still digging into soil.

Michelin Wild Enduro Rear is my new fave rear tire for aggressive wet riding. Rolls acceptably (close to an Aggressor) but digs in great for both cornering and straight-line braking. Way better than a Dampf or Minion IMHO. Good casing too, ~1100g in 29er and feel like an “EXO++”, a bit more supportive than EXO but lighter and suppler than DD. Really liking this one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thx for the heads up! I see that the DD and full DH tires are almost the same weight! With that the case, why bother with DD?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Riding in Whistler. Thx for the advice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thx for the heads up! I see that the DD and full DH tires are almost the same weight! With that the case, why bother with DD?
    The DD feels lighter than advertised based on my scientific holding both in my hands. The DH Maxxgripp I personally believe is even stickier than DD. I didn't like the DH casing as a trail tire first time I've ever felt real drag on the front when peddling. The DD maxxgripp is my favorite tire.

mtbr member
    Personally I strongly endorse use of a CushCore insert with a lighter tire for aggressive trail riding. My experience is that an EXO+-level casing plus CushCore-XC insert weighs about the same as a DD/DH, but rolls better, feels better and resists flats better even at a few PSI lower pressure.