mtbr member

Grippiest AM/Enduro tires?

What kind of enduro tires are out there, that prioritize traction/cornering and flat protection/durability/reliability over rolling resistance and weight? Preferably something that lasts more than 2k miles.

Minion DHF MaxxTerra EXO TR - lasts 2500+ miles, trustworthy, but always looking for better as its braking traction is a bit weak
    Kenda Hellkat Pro RSR ICB KVS - grippy as F in both cornering and braking, but takes a while to get over its dragginess and the knobs are wearing fast
    E13 TRS Race - inferior to the Hellkat in grip and toughness, maybe the LG enduro version would more directly compare

I haven't tried:

Magic Mary
    Assegai

Am I missing any? I'm wary of the casing on the Baron Projekt, and Butcher Grids aren't grippy enough. Haven't tried SE5, but have doubts that it compares.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Michelin Wild Enduro? Not sure of the lifespan though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    Assegai was the first tire that came to mind to me. I ran that tire front and rear for a while and it has so much traction it is unreal. I would run it with a DHR2 WT in the back in TR downhill casing and cushcore if I gave zero F's about weight and rolling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Assegai, bro. If you're willing to pedal a DH casing, look no further.

...even if you aren't, well...consider pedalling a DH cased tire, LOL. You're talking 100-200 grams over proper 'enduro' competitors, but the tire is indestructible and has lugs made of tiny little men that grab the ground for you. And you don't even hurt them! They like it.

Good tire, though, seriously. I literally think its grip may be unmatched. If not, somebody tell me who the king is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    For great grip and cornering, a softer compound helps quite a bit. Schwalbe Ultra Soft or Maxxis Super Tacky or Maxx Grip Compounds work very well. Softer compounds will roll slower, grip better, but donít last as long. As with all tires, there is a balance between grip, rolling resistance, weight and protection.

These are the best gripping Iíve tried.
    For dry conditions, DHF 2.5 WT Maxx Grip DD
    Magic Mary Super Gravity Ultra Soft

Wet
    Magic Mary SG Ultra Soft
    E13 trs Race
    Yeti SB6c
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon Team
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Looks like the Maxxis Assegai will perhaps find its way onto the front of my bike once the Hellkat Pro wears out.

Grippiest AM/Enduro tires?-x9aapae.png

Been wanting to try it anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You answered your own question: Magic Mary or Assegai.

mtbr member
    Μy old Magic Mary snakeskin soft (pre-addix version) lasted more than 4.000km on the front of my bike. No knobs lost either. I ride very rocky terrain, but I'm only 68kg and not the fastest/most aggressive rider.

I actually rate the DHF higher in pure cornering grip, but only when I'm on top of my game or on familiar trails. The Magic Mary is more forgiving of bad form or awkward line changes, so it's extra useful on long rides when I'm tired or when riding new trails. It will also find grip in mosts kinds of surfaces. Personally I don't need the supersoft version, plain soft is grippy enough. For my conditions/usage it would compromise longevity and rolling resistance too much.

MM beats DHF in braking traction by a good margin too. More rolling resistance though, and if you're on the heavy side or an aggressive rider go for the supergravity version.

Hellcat and Assegai share quite a few design elements with the MM and I'd love to try them in the future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    For great grip and cornering, a softer compound helps quite a bit. Schwalbe Ultra Soft or Maxxis Super Tacky or Maxx Grip Compounds work very well. Softer compounds will roll slower, grip better, but donít last as long. As with all tires, there is a balance between grip, rolling resistance, weight and protection.

These are the best gripping Iíve tried.
    For dry conditions, DHF 2.5 WT Maxx Grip DD
    Magic Mary Super Gravity Ultra Soft
    The Assegai is Max Grip as well, I believe. The lugs are squishier than anything I've ever felt. Have not tried Schwalbe's Ultra Soft, but I have an Addix Soft HD and that one's not even close. I'm not sure how the lugs actually stay on the Maxxis tire...I'm no world cup shredder, but I'm fat and aggressive, and I rode mine for three full DH days without appreciable wear. That stunned me. Yeah, it's not that many miles, but they were hard miles, and they were on a tire made of pencil erasers...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    Assegai, bro. If you're willing to pedal a DH casing, look no further.

...even if you aren't, well...consider pedalling a DH cased tire, LOL. You're talking 100-200 grams over proper 'enduro' competitors, but the tire is indestructible and has lugs made of tiny little men that grab the ground for you. And you don't even hurt them! They like it.

Good tire, though, seriously. I literally think its grip may be unmatched. If not, somebody tell me who the king is.
    The Assegai is Max Grip as well, I believe. The lugs are squishier than anything I've ever felt. Have not tried Schwalbe's Ultra Soft, but I have an Addix Soft HD and that one's not even close. I'm not sure how the lugs actually stay on the Maxxis tire...I'm no world cup shredder, but I'm fat and aggressive, and I rode mine for three full DH days without appreciable wear. That stunned me. Yeah, it's not that many miles, but they were hard miles, and they were on a tire made of pencil erasers...
    You, sir, win mtbr for your outstanding descriptions in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have really been liking the Michelin Wild Rock'r2 magic-x as a front and Force AM on the rear. It's kinda neat to pull one of the lugs to the side with your finger, and watch how slowly it rebounds. I am going to get the Wild AM for next spring and see how that does as a front tire, as I am guessing the Rock'r2 isn't a fast roller!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I wish I could get tires to last 2500+ miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    You, sir, win mtbr for your outstanding descriptions in this thread.
    LOL, thanks. Sometimes it's nice to use a bit of whimsy to liven the place up.

I have really been liking the Michelin Wild Rock'r2 magic-x
    Do they still make these? I was thinking they had been phased out in favor of the newer AM line, which seems to be getting a lot of middlingly-good-to-slightly-bad reviews. By comparison, the Wild Rock'r line has always been pretty highly-regarded, it would seem. Always meant to try one out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Assegai on the front of my trail bike feels like its stuck to the ground by velcro first time ive really felt RR on a front tire. Keeping it for more park rides and will get the trail version when it comes out. I really like the tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    +1 on the Hellkat.
    Have 2.4 Hellkat front and Nevegal2 rear both in the ATC casing. They have hold up perfect in bikeparks and tho they haven't got the enduro casing they supported my 105kg super fine.
    I came off the SE5 and SE4. They have stiffer sidewalls and have been SUPERB 95% of the time. The SE5 suffers a bit on hard pack park stuff but has performed with super grip on all other surfaces.
    The Hellkat is VERY similar to the SE5 but the Hellkat also ticks the hard pack box.
    The ATC casing are now my normal go-to tires but will chose the 2.6 size with AEC casing on full blown alp trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Do they still make these? I was thinking they had been phased out in favor of the newer AM line, which seems to be getting a lot of middlingly-good-to-slightly-bad reviews. By comparison, the Wild Rock'r line has always been pretty highly-regarded, it would seem. Always meant to try one out.
    I have no idea if they are still making it. I really like what Michelin is doing with the tires. I have no idea if any of what I am seeing adds to the performance, but there are a lot of added structure and braces here and there that are fun to look at.

mtbr member
    Hellkat up front after hundreds of miles of hardpack:

Grippiest AM/Enduro tires?-n91t3at.jpg

Hellkat up front after 1 bike park visit. xD

Grippiest AM/Enduro tires?-2abfj3m.jpg

I have high expectations that it performs until it's as bald as a semi-slick (e.g. Rock Razor). I really like this tire.

mtbr member
    "I wish I could get tires to last 2500+ miles."

yea me to. i have 1200km on a DHR2 over a fairly dryish winter and its pretty toasted. Am not a skidder either.

mtbr member
    Looks like Specialized just re-entered the game:

Grippiest AM/Enduro tires?-f75r5841-750x399.jpg

Ride review at MTB Mag: https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/test-the-...iminator-tire/

I'm with stupid
    I was looking at those today at the lbs. Might give them a go after a wear out my current tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I haven't heard a thing besides the hype about Michelin Wild Enduro tyres. Saying that I have a WE Magic-X and WE rear on order.

Barely in control
    Considering that Sam Hill wins so much on them in actual Enduro races, I wouldn't call it hype.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegm420 View Post
    I wish I could get tires to last 2500+ miles.
    No kidding! I have a trail tire with 500 miles on it, it's half tread at best. We all know that the second half doesn't last as long as the first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Looks like Specialized just re-entered the game:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F75R5841-750x399.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	1223434

Ride review at MTB Mag: https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/test-the-...iminator-tire/
    I went through 5 sets of Specialized tires on my 27.5+ bike early this season. 3 different sets of Purgatory Controls (warrantee replacements) and 2 sets of Purgatory Grid (same). They all leaked sealant like crazy through the sidewalls after a few rides, and I ended up just getting a refund. Spec was really easy to deal with from a customer service standpoint, but I'm never buying their tires again.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Fatboy
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

"Aah the great indoors - No One Ever"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Considering that Sam Hill wins so much on them in actual Enduro races, I wouldn't call it hype.
    Isn't Sam running the prototype DH22 tyres?

Also, the fact that he's winning races/series on 275 means he's a freak of nature!

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    I went through 5 sets of Specialized tires on my 27.5+ bike early this season. 3 different sets of Purgatory Controls (warrantee replacements) and 2 sets of Purgatory Grid (same). They all leaked sealant like crazy through the sidewalls after a few rides, and I ended up just getting a refund. Spec was really easy to deal with from a customer service standpoint, but I'm never buying their tires again.
    Which sealant were you using? I ran orange seal and good guys and never had a issue like that with the grids. The old control casing from a few years ago would do that but not the new grids.

Weekdays..
    Dec 2009

It's a Muddy Marry!

Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Hellkat up front after hundreds of miles of hardpack:

Name:	n91t3aT.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	1222716

Hellkat up front after 1 bike park visit. xD

Name:	2aBfJ3M.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	1222713

I have high expectations that it performs until it's as bald as a semi-slick (e.g. Rock Razor). I really like this tire.
    Interesting. That hellcat photo almost looks exactly like the original schwalby muddy marry (wish they still made it, one of my fav tire ever)
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Weekdays..
    Dec 2009
    It even looks to wear the same!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Michelin Wild Enduro? Not sure of the lifespan though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really liked the wild am. Now with wild enduro and lovin them. Quite durable.

Envoyť de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Weekdays..
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    I haven't heard a thing besides the hype about Michelin Wild Enduro tyres. Saying that I have a WE Magic-X and WE rear on order.
    Super high quality tire, I need little more ride time to comment on the 27er front treads tho