Good tire width to rim width match- Mtbr.com
    ♥ ς╥33

Good tire width to rim width match

Trying to deciede what rims I should get I started thinking, my current rims are 24mm wide (17mm inner width I think) and when running 2.1 tires I have absolutely no confidence in these rims/wheels in sharp corners. Only if I run the tires rock hard they dont fold over kinda, very annoying. It works going straight ahead but I want to go really really fast in corners and I want solid feedback from the wheel.

Anyway http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width.

there is also a chart on that page.

So if I want to run 2.1/2.3/2.5 tires with confidence what is the correct rim width?
    I was thinking 36mm for a 2.5 tire and 32mm for a 2.3, will it work good? Or maybe 32mm front and rear.

Can you run a 2.0 or 2.1 tire on a 36mm rim? 32mm? Or will the tire look like a square?
    (I need to be able to run my winter tires with the same rims)

And some more questions, I keep reading about how soft and crappy (like cheese) DT rims are, you cant even look at them almost without risking the rims to self destruct, also all Sun rims, Halos and even Atomlab rims are prone to this, is it true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How heavy are you?
    What psi are you running?
    What tires are they?

You can't go wrong with Mavic rims, not cheap but the quality is excellent and quite consistent. The model number indicates the inside width (eg a 721 has 21mm inside width).

I've also had good reliability from Sun rims (Singletrack and MTX)

♥ ς╥33
    70kg max
    unknown psi, I pump until the folding behaviour stops
    Schwalbe ice spikers, but getting new tires on tomorrow.

The thing is this will be for a type of play/trial bike (but not a real trials bike), so I would like a little stronger than regular xc/am rims.

Looking at sun mtx 31/33 or maybe equalizer 31 up front and mtx 31 in the back.
    Carbon is a fad.

pedal pusher
    I run 2.3" Conti Vertical Pros (35psi) and 2.35" Kenda Kinetics (25psi) on 22.2mm wide rims, and I don't have issues with the tire folding over on itself. Of course, wider rims would be a better choice, but I don't see why you're having a problem with 2.1" tires on 24mm rims.

♥ ς╥33
    Well its not really folding but bending a little like a banana kinda, dont like it (when I dont run em rock hard that is). This would be for a bike that will se mostly road and city.

The way I see it is if you look at motorcycles the rims are almost as wide as the tires and this is for grip. I want grip in corners. However I do know MC tires and bike tires are not the same.

I looked at a few bikes at work today they alla had ~2 tires and the one that looked most sensible to me had a 28mm rim.

28mm is what Im planning to get, probably the 721, but I will also build a real funbike with a NS-bikes frame, Im thinking about 729 for that one.

How will tires look on a 36mm rim? Really flat? Do I have to run 2,5s+ on that rim?
    Carbon is a fad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by longcat
    Well its not really folding but bending a little like a banana kinda, dont like it (when I dont run em rock hard that is). This would be for a bike that will se mostly road and city.

The way I see it is if you look at motorcycles the rims are almost as wide as the tires and this is for grip. I want grip in corners. However I do know MC tires and bike tires are not the same.

I looked at a few bikes at work today they alla had ~2 tires and the one that looked most sensible to me had a 28mm rim.

28mm is what Im planning to get, probably the 721, but I will also build a real funbike with a NS-bikes frame, Im thinking about 729 for that one.

How will tires look on a 36mm rim? Really flat? Do I have to run 2,5s+ on that rim?
    If this is for road and paths, maybe visit the commuting forum, lots of people running 26" slicks and stuff, you should get an idea what rim widths work with what tires.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 05-05-2009 at 09:37 AM.

♥ ς╥33
    I have seen that thread, I will have another look.
    Carbon is a fad.

Members who have read this thread: 0