good sweet spot for internal rim width for xc/am wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

good sweet spot for internal rim width for xc/am wheels?

I was at the Vail Outlier Offroad Festival last weekend and I was talking to a guy at one of the booths about getting some wider wheels for a more stable ride on the trails. The guy told me that an internal rim width over 30mm was essentially overkill and wouldn't provide any additional benefits. So let's say that my bike is geared towards XC/AM. Does a 30mm internal rim width seem like a pretty good sweet spot to get extra stability on rougher trails without adding unnecessary weight/rolling resistance/drag?

mtbpete
    It depends on the tire width you're running but 30mm internal width is pretty standard for an AM bike. 25m to 27mm for XC.

mtbr member
    Like changingleafsaid, depends on the tire width you want to use. I have 29mm internals on my trail bike with a 2.4/2.5's. My daily riding ranges from hard pack XC to techy roots/rocks, with occasional rowdy downhill and flow. Very stable with just enough plush at 24 PSI.

I've had 32mm rims, and honestly, they didn't feel as stable as the 29mm I ride on now. I had to crank up PSI to make them feel stable (to my liking).
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I agree with both the above posters. for XC I'd say you want to be in the 2.2 to 2.3 tyre width so a 23-27mm rim is ideal.
    for 2.4 to 2.6 a 29/30mm width rim is ideal.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    I was at the Vail Outlier Offroad Festival last weekend and I was talking to a guy at one of the booths about getting some wider wheels for a more stable ride on the trails. The guy told me that an internal rim width over 30mm was essentially overkill and wouldn't provide any additional benefits. So let's say that my bike is geared towards XC/AM. Does a 30mm internal rim width seem like a pretty good sweet spot to get extra stability on rougher trails without adding unnecessary weight/rolling resistance/drag?

The question is unanswerable until you share, at minimum, which tires (brand, model, and size) you'll be running, at what pressures, tubeless or not, and what your height, weight, and riding style are.

Any less info and you're basically guessing, and certainly not optimizing.