Good Stiff 28 spoke metal rim????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Good Stiff 28 spoke metal rim????

I picked up a SC Bronson last fall and it came with 28 spoke wheels on it. The Rims are a WTB asym I23. I do like the TCS system that they use but I already need to replace my rear wheel. I don't mind having to build up rims as I need them, but want a stiff rear wheel. Not going with carbon for now. So am I looking for a unicorn or is there a stiff metal 28 spoke rim out there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Most 28 spoke rims will be lighter weight, lighter than the rim you have now. Sounds like you need an all-new wheel with more spokes.

Why do you need to replace the rim?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post

Why do you need to replace the rim?
    It is starting to get many flat spots.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The only one I can think of is the Spank Industries Spike Race 28 Enduro. I have no experience with this particular rim, but the other Spank Industries rims which I've used are quite strong. For what it's worth the Spank Oozy Trail 295 and WTB KOM 23 rim are close to the same weight, but the Spank definitely feels stiffer & stronger.

mtbr member
    Stiffer and/or more spokes wont stop flat spots. Rims these days are light and thin and will dent more easily than the oldskool 600g narrow anchors.

You got a good rim. Id stick with it and consider bumping up the pressure a little bit. I just assume ill be denting rims and consider replacement after a hard season. A rim and a tire cost about the same these days, so considering them both wear items isnt too unreasonable. You can reuse spokes and even aluminum nipples if you're replacing a rim that only has dented lips (a full bend or taco really means you need new spokes).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Flat spotting and denting sidewalls are two different things. Dents can be straightened out and will be avoided with more air pressure, but if he's flat spotting rims, that'll throw the spoke tensions off, and the wheels will start going out of true and/or breaking spokes as well. He needs a stiffer rim, or needs to quit slamming into stuff as hard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    consider bumping up the pressure a little bit
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    Dents can be straightened out and will be avoided with more air pressure
    So, let's hear from the OP.

How much air pressure do you run, in what size rear tire?

How much do you weigh?

What do you consider the biggest stress on your wheels? 3 foot drop to flat, rock garden at 20 mph, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    So, let's hear from the OP.

How much air pressure do you run, in what size rear tire?

Maxxis Minion DHR and/or High roller 2 2.35 w/ 28 to 30 psi

How much do you weigh?

What do you consider the biggest stress on your wheels? 3 foot drop to flat, rock garden at 20 mph, etc.

Corners, and Roots and Rocks are the hardest on my wheels.
    I have owned I9's on Stan's Flows, Mavic Crossmax XL's and XTR Trails in the past. No issues with strength or longevity with any of them. Not really that hard on wheels. I am not going to slow down and take it easy on these wheels. I might need just plan on building up more wheels in the future. I did look at the Spanks and they seem to be a decent rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JQualey View Post
    I have owned I9's on Stan's Flows, Mavic Crossmax XL's and XTR Trails in the past. No issues with strength or longevity with any of them. Not really that hard on wheels. I am not going to slow down and take it easy on these wheels. I might need just plan on building up more wheels in the future. I did look at the Spanks and they seem to be a decent rim.
    Based on the above, and running 28-30 psi in your rear tire, I would say that you have sufficient evidence to think that your rear wheel is not strong enough for your normal riding.

I can also echo what aerius suggested before - I like Spank wheels. I have a set of 2013 model Evo26 (now re-branded as Trail 260) and they are really tough for their weight. The 275 is only a bit heavier, and considerably wider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You've got the same issue that I had with those flexy, weak wheels that SC is now specing on the MY15 bikes.

I'm definitely a believer in the idea that build quality trumps spoke count, and it seems that SC is saving money/weight by cheaping out on both. I'd save the DT hubs that came from SC for a future build and find someone who will build you something in 32h and with reliable components.

If you're budget-bound to stick with those hubs, DT now has EX471 rims in 28h drilling. I also had a set of Arch EX that never needed any attention (again likely due to build quality, not rim choice) - but those are IMO too narrow for the intended purposes of a Bronson. The 28h requirement makes things tough to find.

Best of luck - love the SC bikes, hate the wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I still keep a new Bontrager Duster wheelset which are from top line trail Gary Fisher bike. Rims are about 500 grams, have spoke offset and of course 28 holes. Inside rim width is 23mm, outside 28mm. The hubs are FCC serie. Spokes are DT Competition and some alu nipples with neylon washers. Wheels looks wery solid but are not for my XC riding style. Remembered them with this tread and planning them to list on auction.
    Edited: I forgot to add 29"