Good rear tire for the wet season?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Good rear tire for the wet season?

Hi,

Any tips or guidelines on what to put on the rear rim for Autumn - Spring? I ride both park and woodland trails with varied conditions from lots of exposed roots to shield rock and gardens to sloppy, clay-like mud.

I've tested the following tires:

- Highroller II 2.4'' (dual exo): works relatively well on soft soil but kicks up way more mud than expected. What I don't like is that it skids around on wet roots and doesn't offer enough braking traction for my liking on steep, wet shield rocks.

- Nobby Nic 2.3'' & 2.8'': great grip-to-rolling -resistance ratio, great breaking and pedaling grip except down muddy downhill chutes where it loses sideways stability and starts skidding uncontrollably if you try to brake.

- WTB Breakout 2.5'' (high grip compound): Excellent on wet roots and wet shield rocks and a positive surprise in mud as it somehow maintains traction despite a shallow, easily clogged up tread pattern. The rolling resistance is a bit too high for my liking and it has annoying tendencies for rock gardens: the side knobs have a tendency to stick to the sides of rocks and the tire is quite wide.

I'm looking for a tire that rolls well enough to use even when trails are relatively dry but which I don't want to swap away the instant I hit a wet bike park day.

mtbr member
    Timely thread as I'm looking for the same thing for New England fall. All summer I was on, and loved Maxxis Rekon 29x2.4 (which measured to exactly 2.35 on i30 rims). The rear is ready for replacement just in time for a fall swap. In previous years I used Schwalbe HD up front and a NN out back which were fine I guess, but my experience was the same as yours as soon as things were damp.
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Just picked up a trek remedy that has 2.6 SE4. I was pleasantly surprised by this tire in wet/loam/muddy conditions, rolls very well too. For the front tire i will be replacing it by something a bit more agressive, a Magic mary, DHF or Hellkat in 2.6 (I had a few scary moments with the front, but was able to recover). I will be keeping the SE4 for rear.

Keep on Rockin...
    Maxxis needs to make a Forkaster in a 2.4 WT EXO+

EAT MORE GRIME
    conti trail king 2.4

awesome tire for 'all around' everything

I do a ton of flat smooth with sudden chunk/roots/loose and some mud holes
    this tire does it all and doesn't drag you down like an hrII or something like it
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    conti trail king 2.4

this tire does it all and doesn't drag you down like an hrII or something like it
    Sounds like Eastern MA riding except you'll have to mix in extended sharks tooth rock gardens. I need a tire with durable sidewalls which is the opposite of what I heard the Contis are known for.

mtbr member
    I've been loving the Micheline Wild Enduro set out here in the PNWet. The rear is my new favorite moist-condition aggressive tire. Great cornering knobs, great climbing traction, solid on roots and rocks, acceptable rolling resistance for an aggressive tire. ~1100g weight in 29er size, so it's just a tad heavier than an Exo casing, call it Exo+. Durability has been great too.

For a more XC-type application it's hard to beat a Forekaster.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRider View Post
    Sounds like Eastern MA riding except you'll have to mix in extended sharks tooth rock gardens. I need a tire with durable sidewalls which is the opposite of what I heard the Contis are known for.
    get them. you pop one on trail this way... I'll buy your next tire.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Iíve had great luck with Maxxis High Roller 2.5 in the east coast wet. In fact I would call it the grippiest all around tire Iíve ridden. Doesnít last long but works.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    conti trail king 2.4

I love these on my 26er non plus bike....wish they made them in 29+ !! Best feeling tire I have tried. Am also looking for ideas for my 29+ so will be snooping this thread...
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Uuno1 View Post
    Hi,

Any tips or guidelines on what to put on the rear rim for Autumn - Spring? I ride both park and woodland trails with varied conditions from lots of exposed roots to shield rock and gardens to sloppy, clay-like mud.

I've tested the following tires:

- Highroller II 2.4'' (dual exo): works relatively well on soft soil but kicks up way more mud than expected. What I don't like is that it skids around on wet roots and doesn't offer enough braking traction for my liking on steep, wet shield rocks.

- Nobby Nic 2.3'' & 2.8'': great grip-to-rolling -resistance ratio, great breaking and pedaling grip except down muddy downhill chutes where it loses sideways stability and starts skidding uncontrollably if you try to brake.

- WTB Breakout 2.5'' (high grip compound): Excellent on wet roots and wet shield rocks and a positive surprise in mud as it somehow maintains traction despite a shallow, easily clogged up tread pattern. The rolling resistance is a bit too high for my liking and it has annoying tendencies for rock gardens: the side knobs have a tendency to stick to the sides of rocks and the tire is quite wide.

I'm looking for a tire that rolls well enough to use even when trails are relatively dry but which I don't want to swap away the instant I hit a wet bike park day.
    Lots of pros use DHR2's front and rear in the wet. Most notably, Loic Bruni and Troy Brosnan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by hartmtb View Post
    Iíve had great luck with Maxxis High Roller 2.5 in the east coast wet. In fact I would call it the grippiest all around tire Iíve ridden. Doesnít last long but works.
    How wide is the 2.5'' HR II? Some Maxxis 2.5''s are reported at 2.25'' and my "2.5'' " Wetscreams are actually 2.15''

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    Lots of pros use DHR2's front and rear in the wet. Most notably, Loic Bruni and Troy Brosnan.
    I did some research online and DHR II was billed as the best Maxxis non-mud tire so this might be a good option. What compound are suitable for the rear - is the 3c MaxxTerra the go-to or can I get away with a dual compound, especially if I opt for the 2.6'' version? I don't want a tire that is worn to shreds in 3 months but also don't want to skid around on wet stone at the first tap of the brakes.

P.S: Nice to see this thread gain some ... traction

Keep on Rockin...
    A DHRII in a 2.6 is good, but a lot of tire. The DC in a 60 tpi might roll faster than the 3c and is tougher. In a DC it probably won't give u more traction than a HR. Might have to go 3c. The 3c is better on slick wet rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I donít know how wide the High roller 2.5 but itís robust enough. The 3c max terra is the compound of choice.

mtbr member
    The difference in cut resistance between different EXO tires isn't that much in my experience. If you're going to be shredding EXO Forekasters then an EXO Minion is going to get cut almost as much. Most of the weight difference is in the tread. The EXO+ might help a bit but those certainly aren't heavy duty either.

mtbr member
    Rode my 29x2.4 Rekons in the damp last weekend and...Scarier than gas station sushi! After skiing through the slick rock and wet roots I've lost a good amount of confidence in these (MaxTerra) and have been doing my own research outside of this thread. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Bontrager SE4/XR4 set. Supposed to be a fantastic tire for New England fall which means that even on dry days the leaves, roots and rocks are wet from condensation.

Anybody have experience with these? Around here there are no prolonged DH runs. Flowy trails are mostly pedaly with short (50 yards or less) DH rolls. More pedaly tech sections and short punchy climbs.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRider View Post
    Rode my 29x2.4 Rekons in the damp last weekend and...Scarier than gas station sushi! After skiing through the slick rock and wet roots I've lost a good amount of confidence in these (MaxTerra) and have been doing my own research outside of this thread. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Bontrager SE4/XR4 set. Supposed to be a fantastic tire for New England fall which means that even on dry days the leaves, roots and rocks are wet from condensation.

Anybody have experience with these? Around here there are no prolonged DH runs. Flowy trails are mostly pedaly with short (50 yards or less) DH rolls. More pedaly tech sections and short punchy climbs.
    that is how Ohio riding is in the fall/winter as well...I have had a few guys around here say that the SE4's and SE 2's are good for that kind of riding. i might be trying those on my Krampus here as well since the Minion 3.0's are harder to get anymore...
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    I was completely surprised by how the MaxTerra Rekons acted in fall conditions. They were an almost perfect tire for late spring and summer New England as long as you weren't doing park days or Enduro riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I asked a shop near me who sells Bontrager and Maxxis tires and he told me the only reason to purchase Bontrager over Maxxis would be to save a little money. He told me straight up donít buy Bontrager.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hartmtb View Post
    I asked a shop near me who sells Bontrager and Maxxis tires and he told me the only reason to purchase Bontrager over Maxxis would be to save a little money. He told me straight up donít buy Bontrager.
    Find another shop...This one is feeding you garbage. Bontrager (Trek) makes great tires. More likely, this dealer makes a better margin on Maxxis...

EAT MORE GRIME
    ^agreed...I have only good experiences on bontrager tires.

Dream it, Do it.
    I would suggest the DH-R for more cornering and braking traction. The Nobby Nic rolls faster but has less traction overall.

https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...tcherpurgatory
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I would suggest the DH-R for more cornering and braking traction. The Nobby Nic rolls faster but has less traction overall.

https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...tcherpurgatory
    I just took a set of DHR IIs off my bike. I love the tire when the conditions are just wet but with any mud, they pack up super easy. I am running the Continental Baron Protection and so far, they are amazing. They roll about like the DHR IIs but have better traction in the mud. The dry traction in rocky stuff is great too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    ^ well that disqualifies DHR II then in my book; the tire needs to be able to handle short sloppy downhill sections without becoming a slick. Though I wonder how the 2.6'' version would shed mud?

My 2.6'' DHF works quite well until it becomes too wet and then it clogs up completely and doesn't shed the mud by itself like this:

https://imgur.com/a/UIpHUBM

I am eagerly awaiting my 2.6'' Hillbilly to arrive in the mail so I can swap out the DHF, but still don't know which tire to swap to on the rear.

We have a decent used tire market where I live, currently there is a Maxxis Shorty 2.3'' and 2.5'' and a Continental Der Baron 2.6'' for sale online, DHR II only in 2.4'' or less.

Perpetual Hack
    Shorty?
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Uuno1 View Post
    ^ well that disqualifies DHR II then in my book; the tire needs to be able to handle short sloppy downhill sections without becoming a slick. Though I wonder how the 2.6'' version would shed mud?

My 2.6'' DHF works quite well until it becomes too wet and then it clogs up completely and doesn't shed the mud by itself like this:

https://imgur.com/a/UIpHUBM

I am eagerly awaiting my 2.6'' Hillbilly to arrive in the mail so I can swap out the DHF, but still don't know which tire to swap to on the rear.

We have a decent used tire market where I live, currently there is a Maxxis Shorty 2.3'' and 2.5'' and a Continental Der Baron 2.6'' for sale online, DHR II only in 2.4'' or less.
    The Shorty is GREAT in the mud but, they are slow rolling. They also measure up super narrow so take that in to account when you are choosing sizes. For the Baron, I'd make sure it is the protection version. The Black Chili compound is awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Yeah, just buying the Shorty (for front and Hillbilly rear then?) did cross my mind but for true mud I already have a spare 21mm rim set with Maxxis Wetscreams installed (which are obviously not for trail use). I am looking for something for intermediate conditions that I can use on the trail as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I think I found the solution and it was already in my collection:

WTB Convict 2.5'' (light casing, high grip compound)

Characterized by huge square center knobs it brakes well - and straight - in loose conditions but still rolls acceptably and has relatively good grip on wet rocks.

The side knobs line up with the middle knobs (which sucks for front tire use) but this seems to help a lot with mud shedding as there is a clear, wide channel between each knob row from bead to bead: during a couple of test runs together with my Specialized Hillbilly 2.6'' (read:2.35'') they both clogged up about the same - which is not much. The light casing has so far not given me any problems as the side knobs seem to protect the casing in rock gardens and the sides don't stick as much to rocks as my Breakout (tough, high grip).

The only thing that bugs me is that the middle knobs wear fast but then again I got the Convict for 15 euros so I can't complain. Maybe the newer Convict has a better life span?