A good cheap wheelset for disc brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A good cheap wheelset for disc brakes

I am in the process of putting disc brakes on my bike. I am looking for a relatively light (2000 grams or less if possible) disc wheelset that cost 150 or less. I have seen deore disc wheels for 100 to 150 but they are fairly heavy (2200 grams) and I havent heard many good things about deore. Performance has there own brand that is light but I have doubts about their quality. Any good ideas? Or am I bieng way to picky? Just in case I weigh about 180 and I dont do any real drops (more than 2 feet).

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Universal Cycles has quite a selection of wheelsets on special. Can't point you to one in particular, but you might scroll thru their selection and see if one of the sale sets suits you. Tough to keep the weight down with Deore or XT hubs, but it's worth looking.
    - Joe

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    I am in the process of putting disc brakes on my bike. I am looking for a relatively light (2000 grams or less if possible) disc wheelset that cost 150 or less. I have seen deore disc wheels for 100 to 150 but they are fairly heavy (2200 grams) and I havent heard many good things about deore. Performance has there own brand that is light but I have doubts about their quality. Any good ideas? Or am I bieng way to picky? Just in case I weigh about 180 and I dont do any real drops (more than 2 feet).
    Just some thoughts (and hopefully you'll get much better thoughts from others here).

Unless they've changed them recently, Shimano Deore disc hubs are the same as Shimano XT disc hubs except for the finish. So they're not as pretty, but who cares, right? Also, those hubs are on the heavy side. But that means that a lot of the weight on that 2200 gram wheelset is in the hubs, which is the the last place you'll feel it (the weight of tires and rims will affect a wheelset's feel much more than the weight of the hubs hubs). I don't see how you'll do any better in that price range. With Shimano, you'll be getting a reliable, low maintenece hub. I don't know if you can say that about the Performance housebrand.

Jan 2004
    I don't know how much you are looking to spend but I just bought a very nice and light wheelset from oddsandendos.com at a very good price. Go to the website or call Mike and he will help you with what you are looking for. I ordered a WTB lazer lite hub with velocity vxc rims for $334 shipped to my door. Total weight on this wheelset is 1600 grams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What is the difference between Deore and XT then

Quote Originally Posted by upNdown
    Just some thoughts (and hopefully you'll get much better thoughts from others here).

Unless they've changed them recently, Shimano Deore disc hubs are the same as Shimano XT disc hubs except for the finish. So they're not as pretty, but who cares, right? Also, those hubs are on the heavy side. But that means that a lot of the weight on that 2200 gram wheelset is in the hubs, which is the the last place you'll feel it (the weight of tires and rims will affect a wheelset's feel much more than the weight of the hubs hubs). I don't see how you'll do any better in that price range. With Shimano, you'll be getting a reliable, low maintenece hub. I don't know if you can say that about the Performance housebrand.

What is the difference between the Deore and XT? There is certainly a difference in price.

Sorry I didnt respond sooner, I have not been able to really access the internet (trouble with connection at home).

Jan 2004

Deore Disc with Sun DS-2 rims....$90

About the best bang for your buck. These run just under 2000g per wheelset and at this price of course they are machine built. JensonUSA sells them.

Danny

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Wheelworld (shop & internet) usually has Mavic 223 rims with Deore disc hubs for $139 ( I have 'em and like 'em) and you can find 223's with XT disc hubs for about $170 if you look around. One of my LBS's matched their price and had them in the following day.

Jan 2004

2,390 grams isn't lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Wheelworld (shop & internet) usually has Mavic 223 rims with Deore disc hubs for $139 ( I have 'em and like 'em) and you can find 223's with XT disc hubs for about $170 if you look around. One of my LBS's matched their price and had them in the following day.
    I don't like how they call they disc set lightweight.

http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price

I'd buy the Deore/Rynolite disc set from JensonUSA for $90 buck first. 2440 grams (pretty close) and an excellent reputation plus $50 more bucks in your pocket to boot.

R.I.P. DogFriend

... and if we just ...

You have to take the "golden triangle of bicycle part purchasing" into consideration:

Strong, light & cheap; pick any two.

Feb 2004
    Check out ebay. I bought a set of F&R Sun Rhynolites with XT hubs for $100. There are plenty of good deals if you are patient and no what you are looking at.

formerly Giantxc

2nd that

I second ebay. In the last 2 months I bought a slightly used Hope/Sun 0 XC/14 gauge/Al nipples for $60 including shipping for my SS and just bought a brand new Real/Sun/black 14 gauge/red AL nipples for $41 including shipping for my hardtail. I had been shopping for disc wheels on there for a while until I picked these two up (lost a couple of similar less than $100 auctions) and in my opinion if you look for some of these less known hub brands (i.e. Hope, Magura, Real...) on ebay you'll get a way better deal than with Shimano Deore and XT disc wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by greenkoolaid
    Check out ebay. I bought a set of F&R Sun Rhynolites with XT hubs for $100. There are plenty of good deals if you are patient and no what you are looking at.