mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Giant Factory Rim Tape

I decided it was time to put a different sealant in and replace the Giant sealant in my Trance 2. These came with a factory tubeless setup. This is the first time the tires were coming off. The rim tape job on the front wheel was less than stellar (the back was fine). The end of the tape was loose and there was sealant traveling under the rim tape and all the way to the valve stem. So I decided to re-tape the front. The tape came off super easy but left behind ALL the adhesive. JFC I can't get this crap off. I have tried everything starting mild and getting more aggressive (Isopropyl, WD40, Goo Gone, Acetone). Out of all those Goo Gone seems to barely work the best. It will take me days to get this stuff off one rim at this pace. getting it all out of the lip will be very hard. I have my doubts as to if I can get the rim perfectly clean to seal after I re-tape. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Yeah. This is the worst aspect of using tape for tubeless setups. Once the tape is compromised, it's a bitch getting the rim clean enough so the new tape will adhere. You can let the Goo Gone soak for a while and use a Dobie Scrubber to get the old adhesive off. Once is off, you need to really clean the rim getting rid of any Goo Gone and adhesive residue to the new tape will stick well.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Gorilla tape works good in this scenario, sticks right on top of the old adhesive.

mtbr member
    In my experience Gorilla tape generally sucks. Sealant will eventually saturate the fabric causing the tape to separate from the adhesive so it starts leaking. What's left is the worst mess to clean up when you need to replace it. Also, the adhesive oozes out out from under the tape and sticks to the tire bead, so you often wind up pulling up the tape when you replace a tire.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    In my experience Gorilla tape generally sucks. Sealant will eventually saturate the fabric causing the tape to separate from the adhesive so it starts leaking. What's left is the worst mess to clean up when you need to replace it. Also, the adhesive oozes out out from under the tape and sticks to the tire bead, so you often wind up pulling up the tape when you replace a tire.
    Agree, it is not the best, but works great in this scenario. ENVE use it on all their wheels, as long as you replace it once a year, no problems. Never had it stick to a tire though, that would suck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just an update on this.
    I found a decent way to strip off the old tape residue. I used a bunch popsicle sticks and 91% isopropyl alcohol. The key is to keep it wet with alcohol from a spray bottle. As soon as it starts to evaporat it becomes very sticky. If it's wet it comes up fairly easy. Another key is to use nitrile gloves. Without them you skin absorbs the alcohol quickly.