Front 2.60 tire: XR4 vs Forekaster- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Front 2.60 tire: XR4 vs Forekaster

Hi,
    always trying to discover(for me) the best all around tires setup for trail/aggressive trail...

my Front tire experience on trail 29" full susp. bike:
    - Bontrager XR4 2.6 on 29i rims, felt really good in almost all conditions, really cushion effect and soak up bump and good in wet rocks/roots. Really 66mm wide. Really confort and secure feeling also when not picking the perfect line.
    - Maxxis Rekon maxxterra 2.6. on 29i rims.. good in dry(but not when really dry and dusty hard clay), but not all the good feelings of the XR4 in the other aspects.. fond it really scary in wet rocks/roots (i don't want to use it anymore on front) Little rounder than XR4 2.6, only 63mm wide. maybe for a front use will be better a 35i rim.
    - Kenda Hellkat 2.4 2.4 on 29i rims.. good in almost all conditions, very good corner grip. not as good confort/cushion effect as the XR4 2.6... better suited to bike parks, or for aggressive/ more expert riders. It's squarish, so tend to work better if drived hard and aggressive. 60mm wide.

As i don't like to mix brands front/rear, if pairing with my rear IKON 2.35(very good volume on 29i rims 61mm wide), or with my rekon 2.6 in the rear, can it be a good option a Front Forekaster 2.6 in the front?
    How will you compare the forekaster 2.6 to the XR4 2.6? What can i expect?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    It's almost a bit cliche, but I'd recommend just sticking a 2.6'' Maxxis DHF up front. In my experience the horizontal grip vs rolling resistance is superb and it just runs so well in almost all scenarios except deep mud, a real "install and forget " tyre.

mtbr member
    I have a 2.6 XR4 on the front of my hardtail (2.6 Rekon rear). I destroyed the first one in a rock garden then got inserts and a new XR4. It's a good all around tire. It rolls fast and has decent traction. It's not that great for really aggressive riding though. It's not precise enough and a bit bouncy. I'll be going back to a 2.4 DHR2 up front.

Hitching a ride
    XR4 among those options. Also look the exo+ maxxterra assegai 2.5.

Demon Cleaner
    I run a Forekaster 2.6 on the front of one bike and DHF 2.5 on the other so changing between tires every week. Iím always a little surprised how much I like the Forekaster. Itís noticeably lighter and still grips well. I have concerns about plowing it through rock gardens but no surprises so far (several hundred miles on it). I think itís mostly the large air volume and lower pressure helping because the knobs arenít impressive.

Iíve used other high volume tires (Ikon Recons) as rear tires to try to shed weight and rolling resistance but for my trails and style I wonít go there again. Ardent Race is as minimal as I can stand and it is still sketchy on rocky sharp DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Uuno1 View Post
    It's almost a bit cliche, but I'd recommend just sticking a 2.6'' Maxxis DHF up front. In my experience the horizontal grip vs rolling resistance is superb and it just runs so well in almost all scenarios except deep mud, a real "install and forget " tyre.
    always thought and read on the internet that tires like DHF, with a very pronounced channel, create problems of excessive dead zone in turns, when the trail don't always allow correct full lean angles, resulting in the side knobs not engaged and resulting in a wash out or scary drift feeling.
    Furthermore, I believe that a DHF 2.6 on an internal 29mm rim, results in an even rounder profile, with the side knobs even higher, so the problem described above is even worse. (i read that dhf 2.6 result in a good profile on 35mm rims)

Obviously this is only theory, I've never tried a dhf as a front tire. I'm open to hear other experience as well before buy a dhf... For now i will try for the next weeks XR4 2.6 front / Rekon 2.6 rear

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    ^I've experimented with the following variants up front:

Schwalbe: Nobby Nic, 2.3'' and 2.8'', Rocket Ron 2.8''
    OnOne: ChunkyMonkey 2.4''
    WTB: Convict 2.5''
    Maxxis: DHF 2.6'', briefly 2.8'' and High Roller II 2.4''

and out of these (at least for me) the most confidence-inspiring tyre (with least surprise skids) is the DHF.

NN and Convict suffer from surprise off-camber slipping, RR gets pwned by vegetation, CM and HR are both good but not as good- and the knob pattern of the HR is IMHO better suited as a rear tyre.

The 35 mm rim width is not something that is set in stone, I run mine on 25mm (with Rimpact, that helps spread it out a bit) but honestly,I'd be surprised if ~30 mm rims wouldn't work in practice.

Regarding the row gap I only start to feel "problems" with the 2.8'', which has annoying, almost fatbike-like steering properties on tarmac as the row gaps increase. I also find 2.8'' to be the tipping point when the steering starts to become more of a "pick an angle" instead of "pick a line" , which is why I stick to the 2.6'' version.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zambo78 View Post
    always thought and read on the internet that tires like DHF, with a very pronounced channel, create problems of excessive dead zone in turns, when the trail don't always allow correct full lean angles, resulting in the side knobs not engaged and resulting in a wash out or scary drift feeling.
    Furthermore, I believe that a DHF 2.6 on an internal 29mm rim, results in an even rounder profile, with the side knobs even higher, so the problem described above is even worse. (i read that dhf 2.6 result in a good profile on 35mm rims)

Obviously this is only theory, I've never tried a dhf as a front tire. I'm open to hear other experience as well before buy a dhf... For now i will try for the next weeks XR4 2.6 front / Rekon 2.6 rear
    In my experience DHF vagueness due the dead zone is very real. I'm running DHF 2.6 on i34 rims. I've only recently switched back to DHF 2.6 from the Rekon 2.6 (which has transition knobs) on the front due to some recently park days and deep loose terrain which the DHF does well in. However, semi/thin loose over hard it can breaks free and wash out. I had another wash out on the DHF again only after 3 rides back on them, while I had ZERO wash outs on the Rekon in 5 months of riding.

Rekon in my experience provides much more predictable cornering traction while DHF has good straight on on high lean traction.

Keep on Rockin...
    I've recently run a 2.6 up front in a DHF and Forkaster. Also a 2.5 DHF, but lets keep that 2.5 out of this as it is a very different tire.

There is a definite difference b/t the DHF and Forkaster. The DHF definitely corners a lot better when really riding aggressively and laying the bike over. But it's likely overkill for many riders. The Forkaster in a 3C (not dual compound) rolls faster, is lighter, and grips just fine for trail duties. I find for very long, pedally days in the saddle, that is the better tire. I'm willing to "take it down a notch" in cornering speed with this tire in trade for an overall better roller. I've got another trail bike built up more burly for the rough stuff and on that one I use the DHF.

(For the front stick with the 3C, not the DC.)

So, it depends on what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If weight is not a concern, give the WTB Vigilante and Trailboss a try. I typically ride the DHF on both my trail and park bike up front, and the trailboss outback. I find I can get in just as much trouble on both bikes with this combo and the trailboss still rolls real well out back. I only suggest the vigilante because the OP says they prefer the same brand front and rear.

Hitching a ride
    If you like the DHF but think it's slow, try the XR5.

mtbr member
    Was running a 2.5 DHF on some i29 rims. Get tire no doubt. Recently switched to a 2.4 XR4 and was shocked at how great it is. Weird riding something with transition knobs again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    Was running a 2.5 DHF on some i29 rims. Get tire no doubt. Recently switched to a 2.4 XR4 and was shocked at how great it is. Weird riding something with transition knobs again.
    Hi, sorry but english is not my first language... do you mean that the xr4 was surprisingly good, or that going back to xr4 2.4 you notice how good was instead the dhf??
    Consider that i try xr4 2.4 and xr4 2.6 on the same 29i rims, and the 2.6 to me has a better profile, as the side knobs are not so vertical as the 2.4...
    Here is a picture of what i mean..already posted
    Front 2.60 tire: XR4 vs Forekaster-xr4-24-26-tire.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for others reply.. as i say, i try the rekon 2.6 maxxterra in front, this summer in sudtirol holiday, in the same trails as last year(absolutely not enduro) i was now really scary in wet rocks/stones...also when set front pressure to 15/16psi did not give me a secure feeling.
    After this, i think i will never put again a rekon in front...

The forekaster in 29x2.60 is available only in 3C maxxspeed compound... mmmmhhh..

I read a lot about DHF 2.5 vs 2.6 and all of you confirm the difference about the two tires... they have 2 different character...
    2.6 more volume/comfort, better weight/rolling, not so precise for aggressive riding, less support, more forgiving if you let the bike do the job and not picking a precise line.
    2.5 more suitable to enduro and rough stuff, more grip but require to be ridden more aggressively to get out that better grip, more appreciated from more experienced/advanced riders.

I'm more in the 2.6 scene...

mtbr member
    The XR4 is surprisingly good. I am really happy with the 2.4. When you are used to looking at a 2.5Ē DHF and switch to a 2.4Ē XR4, the XR4 looks tiny in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by zambo78 View Post
    Hi, sorry but english is not my first language... do you mean that the xr4 was surprisingly good, or that going back to xr4 2.4 you notice how good was instead the dhf??
    Consider that i try xr4 2.4 and xr4 2.6 on the same 29i rims, and the 2.6 to me has a better profile, as the side knobs are not so vertical as the 2.4...
    Here is a picture of what i mean..already posted
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xr4-24-26-tire.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	1283851

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I run the Forekaster 3c max grip 2.6Ē on the front of my Ripmo and run a Rekon 2.4Ē on the rear for trail riding. The Forekaster is a great tire and underrated. It will fix the issue you had with the Rekon and it is bordering on XC fast. It is well worth a try.

I ran Forekaster front and rear in 2.6 and liked that too but it rubbed my frame. The Rekon rolls a little faster but the Forekaster is night and day lighter and faster rolling than a dhf.