Forte Xenduro- Mtbr.com

Thread: Forte Xenduro

mtbr member

Forte Xenduro

I'm planning a rim to disc brake upgrade over the winter and will need a new wheelset. I'm looking at the Forte Xenduro mainly because I have enough Team Performance Club points to get them cheap.

I ride average XC singletrack with some roots and rocks but nothing extreme. Performance describes this rim as 28mm wide. I assume the is an external measurement. I'm currently running 26x2.0 and 26x2.1 tires and don't plan on changing at this time. Is this rim to wide for these tires? Should I look elsewhere?

Any input on this wheelset would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    I just looked at these wheels last night and they look a lot nicer than normal Forte offerings. 10mm through axle in the rear, tubeless rim tape, lightish hub.

They're on sale right now and if you print out an online coupon they'll warranty it in the store. There's a 15% off coupon out right now that applies to the entire order so you'd get 15% off each wheel. PM me and I can forward you the coupon if you want.

jddist
    May 2008
    I have been running one in the rear for a few month and it has been bomb proof. I am 200lbs+ and the freehub has been taking the load of steep tech climbs in granny gear no problem unlike my Mavic. I run 2.35s on it. It might be more wheel than you need at a weight penalty, but you could up your tire size to 2.35s and run lower pressure and get a better feeling ride than your 2.1s. You probably cant go wrong, expecially for the price and quality of these wheels and the fact that Performance has great return policy.

mtbr member
    Went and looked over these wheels again. I really think these are more of an AM wheel as opposed to XC and may indeed be more wheel than I need even for the price. If nothing else a little to wide for my 2.0 and 2.1 width tires. Now I'm beginning to look at Mavic 717 and 719 builds from BWW.

GTscoob, Thanks for the coupon offer. I have the 15% coupon myself and plan to use it for a little xmas shopping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    gt scoob.Just looked at these wheels tonight in the store,impresive for the price.Wondering if you could hook me up with the link for that coupon?Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    there is a 15% off sale for today 12/6 only online

also the code for 15% off is 749, still working as of today

mtbr member
    Performance is always having sales so you shouldn't have any troubles picking a set up at a decent price. The coupons I had expired on Nov 23rd but the code 749 doco posted was on the back of one of them. I'd use it quickly.

mtbr member
    I sold my front hope/719 for xenduro. overall, its a much better wheel. I run 2.35's though, might be a bit much for 2.1's.

jddist
    May 2008
    After about 10 rides, 2 with really steep granny gear type stuff so alot of tork on rear cassette, I am having problems with the free-hub on my new Xenduro. Looks like it is a solid wheel except for the free-hub. Just like Mavic wheels. Looks like the free-hub can't take high stress loads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Xenduro - "grommets"?

I just got a set of Xenduros, and in the bag/box with the QR skewers there's a small rubber grommet, but no mention of what it's for. My guess is it's meant to fill the gap in the rims with presta valve tubes, but I've only seen metal spacers for that before - anybody know?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't know if this helps but I got xenduro.....front and back. I replaced some OEM ALEXRIMS on my AM TEOCALI.
    These were lighter. I have hit some heavy stuff and no issues so far...6 months. I'm 165lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    After about 10 rides, 2 with really steep granny gear type stuff so alot of tork on rear cassette, I am having problems with the free-hub on my new Xenduro. Looks like it is a solid wheel except for the free-hub. Just like Mavic wheels. Looks like the free-hub can't take high stress loads.
    I was afraid of this. I was hoping what happened to me last night was a fluke, but it does seem to be a weakness on these wheels. I broke the free-hub last night and had to walk three miles back to my car. Fail... which is too bad because I really think the rest of the wheel is cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I own this wheelset. They are good for the price. My main type of riding is AM, Freeride(natural and mtb parks). I'm about 165-170lbs. I've had them for 2 seasons and I haven't had to tru them yet, and I don't think I'll have to anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Mines still going strong... unfortunately they're discontinued.

mtbr member
    I destroyed 2 free hubs in less than a year. It is a shame that they used a cheap rear hub, since it would be a great wheelset for the $$. That being said Performance replaced both wheels without any questions. I now use it for my backup wheelset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
    I destroyed 2 free hubs in less than a year. It is a shame that they used a cheap rear hub, since it would be a great wheelset for the $$. That being said Performance replaced both wheels without any questions. I now use it for my backup wheelset.
    Glad they replaced yours!! Busted my rear hub after a little over a year of use. Took it back and they would not replace it. I will never buy another performance brand product.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Busted my hub on the Xendro. If anyone reads this before buying...DON"T buy them check reveiws the hubs break frequently!!!

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by MBTucson View Post
    Glad they replaced yours!! Busted my rear hub after a little over a year of use. Took it back and they would not replace it. I will never buy another performance brand product.

PM sent

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBTucson View Post
    I could take it back and talk to the manager. They have lifetime warranties on everything.

I bought U-lock at performance over 8 years ago, the locking mechanism has seized up twice and broken a third time and I just keep going back and replacing the lock. This last time I went back and returned it for store credit which I applied to a better lock.

Ow!
    Performance will take anything they sell back--replacement or refund. Even their clearance items and items that have been modified (like fork steer tubes), no matter what anyone at the store says. I suppose they may balk if they think it was abused, but press them. If the manager still refuses, call the company.

They have tried a few times not to take something back from me when it broke, but always relented. Last time I took something back to the Performance Speedway store in Tucson, they almost were aggressive in taking it back. I think it all depends on the manager, and maybe how well business is going.

I returned a Loco rear wheel (model before Xenduro) when the hub froze. Very quick to offer replacement or refund. Took the refund because I have too many wheels, but still have the front wheel. Except for the rear hub, seemed very well built.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hated to do it, but e-mailed corporate. The district manager, Tom, called me and set me up with a new wheel. So happy ending to the story... Performance has delivered on their promise of 100% satisifaction. Therefore, I will continue doing business with them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Bought my set of Forte Xenduro rims Dec 2010. Overall I would say they are very durable/can take a beating. I ride trails around Phx which is very hard on mtn bikes. South Mtn primarily which is where many companies test there bikes. I also race XC so I put a ton of miles on it over the last 2 yrs

So the rims/spokes and hubs themselves are good but the free wheel on the rear is garbage. Seems to last only 6 months before going bad. I went through two of them(Performance exchanged them). On my third I told them I didnt want another rear rim due to the freewheel seizing. They ordered me a rim of my choice to replace it(within cost range) so I got a better rim at cost. Just know the freewheel isnt good.

I still am running the front without issue
    Maybe you want to take a flyer on this set knowing performance will change it out if needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone know whether these hubs are convertible? I've want to change from thru-axle to Q/R but there is very little information on the interwebz and even less information from the local Performance mechanic.

This is essentially a backward conversion for most people, but it's for an older bike/fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Anyone know whether these hubs are convertible? I've want to change from thru-axle to Q/R but there is very little information on the interwebz and even less information from the local Performance mechanic.

This is essentially a backward conversion for most people, but it's for an older bike/fork.
    Yes - my Xenduro wheels came with front and rear axle conversion kits.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any idea where to pick up a conversion kit? Guess I could go QR or 9mm bolt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Any idea where to pick up a conversion kit? Guess I could go QR or 9mm bolt.
    The same place people are ordering replacement freehubs from?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I appreciate this thread as I purchased a XD free Hub on my Performance Bike Xenduro Wheel from BDop Cycling Co. and it worked beatifully. Thanks everyone for posting. Included is link to Free Hub:Wheel Parts-FREEHUBS xx1

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoColoMtnBiker View Post
    I appreciate this thread as I purchased a XD free Hub on my Performance Bike Xenduro Wheel from BDop Cycling Co. and it worked beatifully. Thanks everyone for posting. Included is link to Free Hub:Wheel Parts-FREEHUBS xx1
    Hey. Thanx for posting this follow up. I purchased a set of Xenduro wheels back on 2011 and I've always been afraid of the freehub breaking on me. Well it's been 4 years and I just put them on my 3rd frame and they're still going strong and true. Now I have a good reference when this the rear wheel gives out to fix it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Follow up

Quote Originally Posted by shwndh View Post
    Hey. Thanx for posting this follow up. I purchased a set of Xenduro wheels back on 2011 and I've always been afraid of the freehub breaking on me. Well it's been 4 years and I just put them on my 3rd frame and they're still going strong and true. Now I have a good reference when this the rear wheel gives out to fix it.
    My free hub cracked just last week. I went to Bdop Cycling and ordered the standard steel B-type free hub. I wanted to get the aluminum with the ABG insert but I couldn't get in touch with anyone before the holidays to verify which one to get. However, I ordered the standard B-type and the hub came via FedEx in like 3 days! It fit perfectly, a little heavier, but definitely feels stronger. This is the link to anyone needing the same :

Wheel Parts-FREEHUBS 10SPD

Members who have read this thread: 0