mtbr member

Forekaster? Have I made a horrible mistake?

For the whole year I've been riding my Pivot Switchblade with 29x2.6 Nobby Nic Addix Speedgrip tires and I've generally been happy with them.
    However, since I've clocked around 3.5k km so far, the rear tire is starting to fall apart and grip is nowhere to be seen.

Here's the breakdown of my riding conditions:
    Undulating terrain 500-1000m elevation per ride most of the time, dry 95% of the time, lots of loose rocks, loose over loose, loose over hard, lots of gravel to baby head rocks on sandy and dusty surface. Some forest trails with compacted dirt and rocks, some slick large rocks.

I'm running 25mm ID rims and I the reason I went with NN is because on my old 429T I loved them on DT Swiss XM481 rims (30mm ID) albeit in older non-Addix compound.

Felt like the tires were quite good for terrain and my riding style. They roll relatively well, provide lot of damping/smoothing (for 429T at the time). However, I feel that I'm not using them to their full potential with 25mm ID rims.

As I started to ride more aggresively, the front tire doesn't inspire as much confidence as before and I really want something that's bit less portly (current NNs are about 950-1000 grams).

Note that I have 3 almost new tires in my garage at the moment - 2.5 WT DHF, 2.4 WT DHR2 and 2.3 HR2.

However, I'm not keen on using them on dry (95% of the year it's bone dry here) and when I rode them for a few times they were really slow feeling while the grip was outstanding.

Enter Forekasters.
    They seem to roll very well (XC like) while still providing great grip although they're undersized.

I just came back from the shop with a pair of those reasoning I'd run either both or FK on the rear with DHR2 on the front sometimes.

Is there anything better in Maxxis or Specialized lineup?
    I was deciding between FK+AR (Ardent Race), 2xFK, Spec Butcher + Ground Control or Butcher + Purgatory.

Are FK going to be any better than Nobby Nics I wonder? Maybe good idea would be to run AR in the back and DHR2 in the front. That would give me more volume and wouldn't be huge change from 2.6 NN's while still rolling fast and having less weight.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MarinCRO; 10-06-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Keep on Rockin...
    So you ran a 2.6" tire on an i25 rim?

What size is the FK? I've run the 2.6 on an i29 and i35 and the latter was better. Can't see running that tire on an i25.

If your rim is an i25 stick with your other tires.

If your rim was wider, I'd say the FK is a great all-conditions tire for the rear, especially with a dual compound out back.

For drier conditions I'd definitely go with the Rekon over the FK. I've run both in a 2.6 and both are good.

If your FK is a 2.3, I'd say its an ok all purpose tire.

HR2 - while I'm sure others will chime in and disagree, the purpose of the HR is to offer an alternative to either Minion for when a tire may "pack up". The open tread design of the HR clears sticky mud better than the more tightly spaced dhf/dhr. Sounds like you ride dry so while the HR2 will be fine, its not as good at the dhf/dhr in those conditions.

mtbr member
    Um, honestly, have to agree about your current rims, i25 and stick to tyres that are <2.5". As for if there are any other Maxxis options, sure they are, the Rekon, they are now available in 2.25", 2,4" and 2.6". I think that they're a really good, decent rolling, aggressive XC/Light Trail type tyre and will also work as a rear paired with a DHF/DHR2 for a bit more aggressive riding/setup.
    I've only ridden the B+ 2.8" version, but had on Nobby Nics before them in Pacestar compound and they rolled as good if not a bit better and offered substantially more grip in the 3C Maxxspeed compound.

While I liked the FK alright when I used it as a rear, the knobs are kind of small, so on hardpack you can feel them roll, not as bad as the original Mtn Kings, but sort of like that.

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-559-140-rekon

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention, FK I got are 29x2.35
    NNs are 29x2.6 but they have decent profile on XM421 rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you put the right width rims on that bike matched with high volume 2.35 or 2.6 tires your terrain could get boring to ride. Or you could get really fast.

Barely in control
    There are plenty of better tires out there but since you already have these tires I'd put the FK on the rear and the DHR II on the front and go riding. The 29 FK is a 60mm tire so it should be voluminous enough for you.

Your Best Friend
    Good tire for my area but they wore out quickly

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm in the PNW and was looking at the Forecaster for a wet winter tire which is how Maxxis has them listed = wide spaced knobs to clear mud. not the conditions you describe.

mtbr member
    I run them front and rear on two bikes my XC and Long travel.

The 29x2.35 is average in size on my i30 rims they stretch out a bit but are still not squared off where you lose edge traction.

Maxxis does bill them as a tire for wet / loose conditions. The knobs are wide spaced.

Definitely an amazing rear tire, the wide cupped knobs down the middle really sink into dirt and claw their way up hills.

I ride them F/R but I am sure there are gripper front tires like the DHF but there is a weight penalty and some rolling resistance penalty as well

My forekasters are EXO / TR and with the EXO casing I have never had an issue with cuts or sidewall punctures.

Have ridden Ikon's, Nobby Nik's, Rocket Rons, Bontrager and the Forekasters are my favorite.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Well... I thought the FK 2.35 sucked as a rear tire, drifted a lot on loose over hard surfaces. I sure as hell wouldn't use one as a front tire. I went back to an ikon 3c rear. It's the best compromise for all the various conditions in my area.

Spech ground control is a great rear tire for techie climbs.

mtbr member
    Initial reports on forekaster made it look like really good loose and rock tire but then people started saying it really wasn't and even maxxis reclassified it.

I can return the tires and get anything else from maxxis or spec so I was perhaps thinking of either ikon/ar rear and dhr2 front or ground control rear butcher or dhr2 front..

mtbr member
    Honestly, see if you can get a 2.25 & 2.4" Rekon and pair which ever you prefer more with the DHR2 on the front, I think this'll be a fast enough combo with a load of grip. If you're even considering the Ardent, make sure and get the RACE version, because honestly, the original sucks b@lls, does nothing well at all, even rolls sluggishly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    Initial reports on forekaster made it look like really good loose and rock tire but then people started saying it really wasn't and even maxxis reclassified it.

I can return the tires and get anything else from maxxis or spec so I was perhaps thinking of either ikon/ar rear and dhr2 front or ground control rear butcher or dhr2 front..

Barely in control

Here's your problem - you're used to the 2.6 size which gave you excellent longevity. If you go to a 2.3, especially in maxxis, you're not going to get a tire that lasts very long. Spec 2.6 are 2.4s also.

There have been posts on here praising the longevity of the 2018 Conti Mountain King, and that comes in a 2.6 at the weight you want.

You can also put on Vittoria Morsa 2.3 g+ and get good life.

mtbr member
    Yea, I think I'll stick to 2.6, - once you go wide you don't go back.
    Grip over loose, comfort and longevity are really amazing with these tires, I'll probably just go for good set of wide carbon rims to keep weight close to my current rims.

mtbr member
    Good info on the Forekaster vs. other Maxxis:
    https://marathonmtb.com/2017/07/13/maxxis-tyre-test/
    "While many consider the Forekaster is a wet conditions tyre, in pretty much perfect trail conditions we found it fantastic in loose over hardpack and rougher, rockier terrain."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Well... I thought the FK 2.35 sucked as a rear tire, drifted a lot on loose over hard surfaces. I sure as hell wouldn't use one as a front tire. I went back to an ikon 3c rear. It's the best compromise for all the various conditions in my area.

Spech ground control is a great rear tire for techie climbs.
    Actually the FK in any size at either end doesnít impress me in the least. The Ikon 2.35 is a good rear tire as is the Ardent 2.4 (2.25ís suck ass) paired up with Minions, or Hans Damfs and they should pair well with the Rekon 2.6 up front thatíll be delivered this Tuesday.

The claim is the FK is a good loose and wet and loose tire but I just donít see it, especially if you push them hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I run a FK front and rear in 2.35. It was my intention to only use it in the mud season but we haven't had a dry season this year so I kept them on all year. They roll well for a mud time and don't clog up. I think of it as an Xc mud tire. Reasonably light, doesn't clog, rolls pretty good and has adequate grip. It even does OK on wet rocks at lower pressure around here. It is a decent all arounder if you ride a lots of mud and keep in mind that you are on a 750gram xc tire when descending.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Combat Wombat
    I have been running a 2.6 Rekon on an i29 rim up front for nearly a year and have been pleased with it. At the same time I had mounted the 2.6 Rekon, mounted a 2.25 Rekon on an i25 rim on the back, figuring this would be a good combination with the 2.6 up front. The 2.25 Rekon turned out be a disappointment. With pressure to provide good climbing traction, I was uncomfortable with the amount of roll on the rim through turns. Add enough air to eliminate the roll and traction went out the window. Two rides and I replaced it with a 2.35 Ikon, which has turned out to be a good tire and for the most part, have been happy with. The only place I have had any issues, a local trail that I have been riding frequently this last year. Lots of loose, rocky climbs through turns that do not give the opportunity to hit with any real speed, basically requiring powering up and over. I just built up a rear wheel with another i29 rim to match the front and mounted a 2.35 Forekaster. As far as size, at max pressure, it does measure true to size and 2.3 at 22psi. Have only had the chance to get one ride on it, so still experimenting with pressure and have not made any hard decisions. The initial ride, I was surprised on how well it rolled on hardpack and there was a noticeable increase in climbing traction in the loose stuff. However the ground was still loamy from the considerable rain we recently had and I was not on the trail that typically gave me issues with the Ikon. Not a good apples to apples comparison. Will have to wait and see.

mtbr member
    Loose rocks are really tricky. Heavy downpours tend to wash out dirt and soil and make loose climbs/downs even worse. That's climate change for you heh.

That's why I found Nobby Nics 2.6 great. Lots of people give crap to Scwhalbe but in my experience they provide best balance and newer generation have been very solid and durable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'll like to get more feedback on 2.6 Rekon vs. Forekaster on dust layer (<1/4") loose over hard - especially as front tire.

I find Minions are ONLY OK for this - at least in dual compound. I think the large knobs don't provide enough bite into thin layer of dust and I tend to feel the tires get drifty. Minions actually work better in thicker layer of dust. 3C might be better, but if it's due to compound, you mind as well find the best tread pattern get 3C with that. I am only assuming shorter knobs on both Rekon and Forekaster, might bite in better on thin dust.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've run 2.35 Forekasters and can attest they do fairly well on rocky loose over hard; I think they use a soft compound so that you get a lot of grip even from the little knobs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yea, I think I'll stick to 2.6, - once you go wide you don't go back.
    Grip over loose, comfort and longevity are really amazing with these tires, I'll probably just go for good set of wide carbon rims to keep weight close to my current rims.
    I went 2.6 and my buddies started dropping me. 2.35-2.4 are perfect for my toothy,technical single track.

mtbr member
    Sadly, no, they do not, it's just the DC compound (offer 3C in 27.5x2.6" everything else is DC) and they definitely do not perform well on wet rocks/roots in my experience, but I have been told that our roots and rocks are exceptionally slippery when wet compared to a lot of places around the world, so They do work pretty good in loose and mud though, but definitely think they suffer a bit like the original Mtn Kings did with too small knobs, could do with a 10-15% increase in knob size IMHO and 3C options across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I've run 2.35 Forekasters and can attest they do fairly well on rocky loose over hard; I think they use a soft compound so that you get a lot of grip even from the little knobs.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Actually the FK in any size at either end doesnít impress me in the least. The Ikon 2.35 is a good rear tire as is the Ardent 2.4 (2.25ís suck ass) paired up with Minions, or Hans Damfs and they should pair well with the Rekon 2.6 up front thatíll be delivered this Tuesday.

The claim is the FK is a good loose and wet and loose tire but I just donít see it, especially if you push them hard.

I bought the FK 27.5x2.6 for an aggressive "enduro" tire up front. It's just "ok". Not great, not horrible.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

I ran 2.35 Forkaster with a 2.3 DHR2 front on my Ripley LS and liked the combo a lot for XC and trail but the Forkaster casing can get flimsy with aggressive riding so couldn't run low pressure. I was impressed with it's grip though.

On my bigger bike I'm running a 2.3 Griffin in the rear with a 2.4 DHR2 front and it's an outstanding combo in many conditions, rolls well and handles aggressive riding.

SS Pusher Man
    They are a good tire.....front and rear. But they are just a XC tire.

We donít ride in the mud here, but they have handled well in the loam, loose over hardpack, hardpack, rocks and gravel. Also handled the chunk at True Grit Epic back in March....actually still running that same tire. 29x2.35 on Arch Mk3, and I like 19-20 psi at 195 lbs on the SS.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member

Forekaster? Have I made a horrible mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I bought the FK 27.5x2.6 for an aggressive "enduro" tire up front. It's just "ok". Not great, not horrible.
    My enduro tires are Minions DHF F and DHR2 R. This 2.6 Rekon will be my XC all around tires paired with either a 2.4 Rekon or 2.4 Ardent or 2.35 Ikon in the rear. I also have a pair of RRís that I use on long gravel rides or less tech when needed. Iíve got a smattering of Scwalbes 2.35 NN, HDís single tires. The Rekons will be a very good fast rolling, fairly grippy tire combo on my Following running the DC EXO 2.6 F and 2.4 R but definitely not what Iíd call AM Enduro type tires.

I just bought a pair of 29x3 Minions for my FTW 29 steel plus bike. My Knards and Chupas are ok but donít really hook up that well in loose and loose over hard conditions. I almost always run reverse mullet tires on my 29rs so I can put the breakaway point out back to slide out rather than loose grip on the front wheel.

The Forekaster is just a blah blah kind of tread pattern Iíve had enough of that type of tire over the years. From Ritchy ZMax to some of the Kendas to the Schwalbes NNís and HDís the HDís had bigger lugs with more bite but were suspect in durability. At least Iíve never had much issues with durability on Maxxis tires, other than wearing out the super sticky HRís on a couple hundred miles of slick rock riding.

Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Update on my situation.

Few days ago we went on a nearby mountain and since my Nobby Nics were toast, I put on my DHR 2.5 and DHF 2.4 on.

Conditiona were appaling, it had just rained heavily so there was loads of thick mud, slick rock and roots.

To my surprise Minions performed admirably, they made the conditions fine for riding and I actually had more grip in those conditions than several days before when I was there with Nobby Nics and it was dry.

I had one more ride today in dry at my local mixed trails spanning from xc to freeride trails and they were absolutely solid. So much that I have to learn to trust the tires and ease on braking.

The only problem is that they're slow and not really good for trails that don't have at least 10% average grade or more.

They're very slow over undulating terrain. Great if you have to climb to the top and then point down but for rolling terrain and flow where braking is seldom they don't work well.

I've been to the shop and exchanged one FK for Ardent Race 2.35 that's going in the rear, so I'm still undecided if I'm going to keep the other FK for front or put DHR2 there.

mtbr member
    Further update:

Couple of days ago, I went for my second day out with Minons. In about 10km I managed to kill my rear DHR2....
    Rode one steeper more agressive trail and went slighly sideways on a drop and I managed to warp the almost new tire. Surprisingly rim was fine. I'm quite disappointed in Maxxis to be honest, I never had this issue with Schwalbe.

Video:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fdrbrr9F4R4cd1kr6

So I had to mount Ardent Race and Forekaster since I went for 400km trip to ride for a few days....

The terrain was more continental with less rocks and more dirt and steeper trails, far more elevation with about 1000m of climbing in one go.

Ardent Race was ok as far as rolling or climbing is concerned, but braking is terrible, it just skids all over the place at the slightest hint of braking even when dry.

Forekaster as a front on the other hand was surpisingly good, it does look bit skinny but it's quite precise and I never had it break traction. It obviously doesn't inspire too much confidence as a wider tire such as DHF 2.5 but it punches above it's weight.
    It might be interesting as both front and rear tire as a compliment to DHF front for those steeper and looser trails since it's hard to believe it can be worse than Ardent Race in those conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What size/width did you get for FK? One time I rode the Ardent Race - it was terrible. I prefer XR2 for fast rolling rear.

Barely in control
    Further update:

Couple of days ago, I went for my second day out with Minons. In about 10km I managed to kill my rear DHR2....
    Rode one steeper more agressive trail and went slighly sideways on a drop and I managed to warp the almost new tire. Surprisingly rim was fine. I'm quite disappointed in Maxxis to be honest, I never had this issue with Schwalbe.

Video:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fdrbrr9F4R4cd1kr6

So I had to mount Ardent Race and Forekaster since I went for 400km trip to ride for a few days....

The terrain was more continental with less rocks and more dirt and steeper trails, far more elevation with about 1000m of climbing in one go.

Ardent Race was ok as far as rolling or climbing is concerned, but braking is terrible, it just skids all over the place at the slightest hint of braking even when dry.

Forekaster as a front on the other hand was surpisingly good, it does look bit skinny but it's quite precise and I never had it break traction. It obviously doesn't inspire too much confidence as a wider tire such as DHF 2.5 but it punches above it's weight.
    It might be interesting as both front and rear tire as a compliment to DHF front for those steeper and looser trails since it's hard to believe it can be worse than Ardent Race in those conditions.
    Dang I'd get that warrantied.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I ride mostly XC on a Trek Top Fuel (short travel, full suspension). I'm in the Midwest and our trails are technical, "old school" (hand built) singletrack. We have steep climbs, rocks, roots, hard pack, and now leaf covered trails.

I've been on 29x2.2 Ardent Race (3C/EXO/TR) front and rear for a couple of years and they work for me in most conditions. The weather has been pretty wet lately, so the trails have been a little greasy. And now the my local trails are covered with leaves, so I wanted something that would work better in those conditions.

Last week I switched to 29x2.2 Forekaster (TR) front and rear. I got one ride in last week and then raced on them over the weekend. My first impressions are that they are better than the Ardent Race (for our current trail conditions). I'm happy with the FK so far. I've noticed improved traction and it's a lighter tire than what I had.

mtbr member

Now available at Maxxis Webstore.

mtbr member
    Thanks just ordered one for my Intense Primer. Bike Has 30mm ID wheels and will run this on the front for the fall / winter sloppy New England riding.

They price this higher than the REKON 2.6....interesting.

I went with the 3c / EXO / 120 TPI tire

Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post

Now available at Maxxis Webstore.