mtbr member

Forekaster 29 x 2.6

Just recieved my FK 29 x 2.6 from Maxxis store. I'm a big fan of Maxxis tires in general and really like the Forekaster for New England riding: Rocky / rooty / loamy / wet leaves / mud / sand - we pretty much have a bit of everything

I grabbed a pair of the 2.35's last year from Backcountry on sale and noticed an immediate improvement on the rear tire. The deep but widely spaced knobs really help dig in on the climbs and the front holds a nice line.

Some don't like the FK for a front tire but I am running it F/R on my XC bike and LT bike no complaints. Rode some really greasy, wet leaf covered terrain a few weeks ago and the tires maintained an awesome grip.

There are other Maxxis with better grip for the front like DHF or DHR but you also get a weight penalty and a bit more rolling resistance.

For this tire, I mounted it right up on the front of my Intense Primer.

Mounted up easily on my DT Swiss 30 ID rims. Going to run this BMX style with 2.6 on Front and 2.35 on rear. I am usually pretty happy with 2.35 but will see how this works for sloppy fall / winter conditions....

Picture shows 2.6 on Right and 2.35 on left.

Also no issue with it fitting into Fox 34 fork or RockShox Sid 100 fork

Forekaster 29 x 2.6-fk-side-side.jpg

see how she rolls...

mtbr member
    Great, thanks for the comparison photo, can clearly see the only slight increase in knob size, but a definite good increase in volume. Really don't understand why they only offer this is Dual compound when it's such a great tread pattern for wet weather I ran a 2.35" on the rear of my Phantom for a lot of 2016 and really liked it in a wide variety of trails, but found in the wet, it did not inspire the confidence on our mossy, greasy roots and coral.

NM, just checked the retail store and see they're offering them in 3C and seem to have discontinued the 2.35" version as no listing for it
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Maxxis's online store listed this tire with MaxxTerra compound while an another vendor listed it as MaxxSpeed and when asked had no knowledge of MaxxTerra option. I wonder who is being confused here?

mtbr member
    good catch, I purchased mine from the store and although the website says MaxTerra compound the tire is MaxSpeed. They must have made a typo.

from what I understand both compounds use soft rubber on shoulder, medium on top and hard on base.

Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    Maxxis's online store listed this tire with MaxxTerra compound while an another vendor listed it as MaxxSpeed and when asked had no knowledge of MaxxTerra option. I wonder who is being confused here?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Whoever is in charge of the Maxxis site should be fired. Just because they don't have a tire in stock does not mean they should remove it from their website. I go to their website to conveniently compare weights and other attributes, not to order from that site.

Also, no idea why, but so many of the tires I lust after are not available in Canada. The 29er 2.6 Forekaster is one of those.

Anyway OP, glad this worked out for you.

If I could get the 29er 2.6 Forekasters here, I would likely go for a pair over 2.6 Rekons or a DHF/Aggressor combo.

Moodle
    Jul 2018
    Can anybody comment on a comparison of the FK 2.6 and the Nobby nic 2.6 29er? I ride the NN and their profil just look so similar...
    Differences?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    that's a good looking tire. looks like a better front tire than the rekon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The same vendor who I asked about the Forekaster compound now lists the 2.6 Ikon with MaxxTerra - which is probably a cool tire but it feels completely ass backwards to have the more aggressive treaded tire with the harder compound. Or maybe I've just understood the intended use of the Forekaster completely wrong?

mtbr member
    I think they offer the 3C MT on the Ikon because of it's lack of serious tread blocks to help with grip, whereas with the FK it has much bigger and spaced knobs, I think they figure that it doesn't need it. Me personally, loved my 2.35" FK, but did not like how it felt in the wet on slippery roots and rocks, 3c MT would help that IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    The same vendor who I asked about the Forekaster compound now lists the 2.6 Ikon with MaxxTerra - which is probably a cool tire but it feels completely ass backwards to have the more aggressive treaded tire with the harder compound. Or maybe I've just understood the intended use of the Forekaster completely wrong?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I personally love the forkaster tire. I run them Front and Rear on my XC Full suspension bike and Front 2.6 and rear 2.35 on my Intense Primer.

I had a chance to ride the NN only in 2.35 size on my singlespeed on the front and did not like it. Felt vague, easy to wash out and just lacked overall cornering grip. Rode in in summer conditions with loose over hard and some pine needles. Tried to play with the pressures from 19-25 and just could not make it work. Switched to Schwalbe Rocket Ron and that was a better tire (for me at least). It was light and fast and had good grip.

Overall I don't think the Schwalbe tires hold up as well to thorns and punctures as do the Maxxis tires. The schwalbe's just seem to wear fast and puncture a bit more than Maxxis. Just my 2 cents.

Still a big fan of the Forkaster, Rocket Ron and currently digging my setup on SS: Bontrager XR3 2.4 Front and XR2 2.2 rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrikkoller View Post
    Can anybody comment on a comparison of the FK 2.6 and the Nobby nic 2.6 29er? I ride the NN and their profile just look so similar...
    Differences?
    Thanks!

Moodle
    Jul 2018
    Thx
    I have a RR at home will definitivly try next spring when things dry up...

mtbr member
    Finally put the tire through a good long ride and it performs outstanding. This tire was easy to mount on DT Swiss 30ID wheels. There was almost zero air loss after setting them up with Orange Seal subzero sealant. After about 4 days at 40 psi the tires stretched out and are even bigger than the picture posted above.

I ride a 2.35 FK on my XC bike and this 2.6 tire is confidence inspiring when you look down the barrel of the handlebars and see those big knobs on the 2.6 carcass.

I rode a 12 mile loop in "firm" leaf covered conditions. East coast of Massachusetts. If I had to guess I would say I had 22psi of pressure. We have had a ton of rain and all the fall leaves and pine needles are on the trail. The conditions were a bit greasy and soft in spots from the rain but also firm in other spots as the evening temps have been below freezing. The tire gripped well never washed out. Good braking traction and no squirm on rocks or roots.

We have a real washed out short, steep climb with loose dirt, off camber roots and covered with leaves. This is a 1-5 type hill that I was able to make yesterday. Only 2 of 5 riders made it up so I am happy with the results of the tire after the first ride.

The claimed weight of the tire is 840 grams so there is a 100 gram weight penalty over the 2.35 tire. I'm thinking if you run it in the back you might feel the weight and the rolling resistance penalty but not so much in the front.

My winter set up will be 2.6F / 2.35 rear.