mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Follow-up for Forte Pisgah 2 tires?

I have one on the front of mine and my son's bikes. I paid less than $20/tire.
    My son hasn't had his off-road yet, but we will probably get in a ride this weekend.

I only have 4 rides on a 29x2.35 non-tubeless ready (set up tubeless), but so far it has handled everything nicely here in Southeast Michigan. Mostly loose over hardpack, sand, rocks, roots and a bit of mud. Loose/sand/dust over hardpack is challenging for any tire. I can feel it skitter just a bit on some dicey turns, but not enough to carry me off my intended line.

It measures very close to 2.35, rolls decently, corners well and displays no strange or unpredictable behavior.
    It is a bit slower on turn-in than my Fast Traks. Not an issue really, but I do like sharper steering tires.
    It weighs 760g or 780g (need to check my records).

I need to tinker with the pressure, as I believe I've only gone as low as 25psi for my 160lbs.

Anyone else have updates on this tire?

Bob

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalinbob View Post
    I have one on the front of mine and my son's bikes. I paid less than $20/tire.
    My son hasn't had his off-road yet, but we will probably get in a ride this weekend.

I only have 4 rides on a 29x2.35 non-tubeless ready (set up tubeless), but so far it has handled everything nicely here in Southeast Michigan. Mostly loose over hardpack, sand, rocks, roots and a bit of mud. Loose/sand/dust over hardpack is challenging for any tire. I can feel it skitter just a bit on some dicey turns, but not enough to carry me off my intended line.

It measures very close to 2.35, rolls decently, corners well and displays no strange or unpredictable behavior.
    It is a bit slower on turn-in than my Fast Traks. Not an issue really, but I do like sharper steering tires.
    It weighs 760g or 780g (need to check my records).

I need to tinker with the pressure, as I believe I've only gone as low as 25psi for my 160lbs.

Anyone else have updates on this tire?

Bob
    here are my 2 cent random thoughts about the Pisgah 2 .

Been using pisgah2 tubeless tire in both 26 and 29 sizes as rear tires. for the past few months.
    I distinguishing feature with the P2 is its butyl inner liner. There should be no more leaky sidewalls ( as with maxxis eko tires)-- and hopefully better puncture resistance. Maxxis uses a short butyl liner for there DH tires, but the Pigah 2's is totally lined with the butyl. on the inside of the tire.

Both were real easy to setup install, and set up tubeless on 26er LB 38mm and 29er Derby rims-( vs Spesh Butcher-- horribly difficult to set up / take off on the Derby.

Despite the beefy looking tread pattern,
    rolling resistance is surprisingly low, on par to a maxxis ardent / Ground Contro, up/downhill or even on asphalt . esp on wetter soil.
    In contrast,
    I have tried using DHF as a rear and there was very serious RR-- about as bad as putting a MM EVO in the front--
    Less sliding when e hauling the speed in, esp when trying to slow down before a turn.
    As a rear tire, the P2 seems to have quite a bit of traction uphills-

I am close 190 lbkitted up and run about 25 psi
    They seem to work well but am sure, they would work great anywhere.
    Price is nice - got some more today at 30 usd a piece.

I might try putting these on the front to see how they work vs dhf.
    Last edited by locominute; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Actually just made a video review the other day...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    Actually just made a video review the other day...

t the pisgah 2 come in duo compound--
    at least per website

60A/50A Dual durometer tread compound for long wear life and good bite in corners

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by locominute View Post
    t the pisgah 2 come in duo compound--
    at least per website

60A/50A Dual durometer tread compound for long wear life and good bite in corners
    Mine are dual compound.

Nice video!

Not sure if anyone ever confirmed who makes the tires, but isn't the Maxxis dual compound 60a/50a?
    Until recently, I've never paid much attention to damping characteristics, but it does feel similar to the DHF dual (nicely damped-I may have to try some more Maxxis tires).

They are a bit like DHF Juniors. The transition is smoother, but the knobs are shorter, so you don't get the brief dead-spot-then-locked-in feeling of the DHF.
    Also, the shorter knobs don't punch down through the soil as well as the DHF, but my area is mostly hardpack with loose on top, so tall knobs aren't usually needed.

I think I've had it down to ~22lbs, and it felt fine.

Never tried it on the rear, but the 26" Forte Tsali on the back of my son's bike is very Python/Fast Trak-ish. Great for our area.

I wanted to get a few more sets of the non-tubeless Pisgah 2 for some 26" bikes because they are inexpensive, have relatively good volume, roll decently, have middle of the road weight, handle very well, and seem to be of good quality.
    Unfortunately, they are sold out.

I've paid $20-$25 each, and all things considered, they may be the best bang for the buck tires I've ever ridden.

Bob