mtbr member

FlexSeal for tubeless tire repair?

I have a near new tire that has a very small hole close to the bead... patch wouldn't be effective in this area and Stans didn't seem to want to seal it. I sprayed a couple of coats of FlexSeal (actually Rustoleum equivalent) inside the casing and dabbed a little on the outside for good measure. Seems like it's going to work quite well although it'll be a week or so until I mount it and report back.

Anyone try this stuff? Seems like it might be a good solution for small holes and worn casings that are seeping.

mtbr member
    Sounds dangerous, new tire maybe? Have you tried throwing a little glitter in with the glue?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDjEdi View Post
    Sounds dangerous, new tire maybe? Have you tried throwing a little glitter in with the glue?

Less dangerous then glitter and glue...? By glue you mean sealant?

I don't get your rationale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Less dangerous then glitter and glue...? By glue you mean sealant?

I don't get your rationale.
    If your tire is that worn maybe its time for a new tire? However, just for kicks, I've seen on YouTube that a little glitter in the sealant works for them bigger than normal cuts/punctures.

mtbr member
    As I mentioned previously, the tire is near new. Sealant with glitter, cornmeal etc probably would have sealed it temporarily but I was interested in a repair.

Newb
    Apr 2016
    I think I've read that some people have had success with a little pool of superglue on the spot on the inside of the tire. i was thinking of trying that- it's a stupid $6 PricePoint tire that will work great for 3 days and then go flat in the first mile on the 4th day. I just can't throw it away!

mtbr member
    Super glue (cyanoacrylate) gets hard and brittle when it cures. I can't imagine it working to patch something that flexes as much as a tire or tube. Something like Shoe Goo (E6000) or Aquaseal might work. There are tubeless patch kits, like the one from Velox, the probably work well.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes I did that on an old set of fat bike tires as a test. It work good but after 6 mouth it start to peel off. ran tubless.

mtbr member
    I thought about using shoe goo (goop) but opted for FlexSeal as it seems to self level, perhaps is a little more flexible, is thinner (solvent evaporation) so it probably penetrated the casing a bit more and I think it might actually adhere a little better.

I'm probably geeking out on this a little too hard but I hate rides interrupted by mechanicals as much as throwing away a new tire.

I typically get around 6 weeks out of a rear tire. If the repair lasts a month I'll be stoked.

Ahhh the pain....
    silicone caulk...I use it all the time where I have a sidewall cut that is not all the way through the sidewall, but is in places along the slice.
    In some cases, I'll patch the inside of the tire then put silicone on over the patch since sometimes they'll lift at the edges.
    Works quite well.

mtbr member
    Quite happy with the results. The repaired tire has one hard ride on it including really demanding, abusive chunk... and it held up perfectly fine. If it was going to fail, that would have been this ride. YMMV