Flats, Flats, More Flats !!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Flats, Flats, More Flats !!

I put 700 miles on my 2011 Stumpy 29er Comp; combination of paved paths and fire trails. I have Renegade tires, cheng shin 700x52/47 thin tubes. No flats!

Las Wed, I got my first flat in Alum Rock park, patched it and found a second hole after remounting. The first hole had an obvious thorn but nothing on the second.

So yesterday I'm on a 27 miler, paved (Coyote Creek Trail) almost crash making a turn because the front tire and gone soft, pulled over and patched it, only had 1 CO2 cart so it was pretty soft but I had to make it home. It went flat last night and today after putting on a second patch and having it go flat, I found 2 more holes totalling 4 !!!!

Could the additional holes be from riding on very low pressure?

I like keeping the weight down and have been lucky all spring/summer so did I screw up by riding w/ low pressure?

Any reccommendations for tubes w/o going the whole slime route, etc?

thx

bob

ballbuster
    You probably have a thorn in there still... maybe you can't feel it because it is below the carcass' surface, and only sticks up when the tire is inflated and flexed with weight on it.

Not sure what to tell you other than track where the puncture happens and patch it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Soooo many threads and info on tubeless with sealant. It has solved my flat problems. Most rides I don't even carry a tube or pump.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post

Any reccommendations for tubes w/o going the whole slime route, etc?

bob
    Yeah, get rid of the tubes.

You have roval wheels and specialized 2bliss tires ? If yes, your life could be flat free very easily.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    You probably have a thorn in there still... maybe you can't feel it because it is below the carcass' surface, and only sticks up when the tire is inflated and flexed with weight on it.

Not sure what to tell you other than track where the puncture happens and patch it.
    This is when it pays off to mount your tire with the logo aligned on the valve stem. If it was the same thorn it would make the same hole every time and be very easy to find.

Except I think you're about to get moderated over to the wheels and tires page.

-F

mountain biker
    Also check your rim strip. it could have shifted a bit to allow your tube to get into the spoke holes and get cut by the end of the spokes. I'll also echo the first response that says to really, really pay attention to the inside of the tire. I once found a speck of glass so small I couldn't see it. I only found it after searching for it for (what felt like) hours with my finger tips.... good luck
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.