First wheel build couple questions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

First wheel build couple questions...

I am getting ready to start my first wheel build, and with that I have some questions before I start. I did read through the sticky's and still have questions. As far as the spokes go I know the length, but what about the straight pull or J-hook? Is there a different hub for each kind of spoke? And what about nipple length, does it matter? What is the most common style and gauge of spokes and nipples? Thank you in advance for the advice and if these question are in previous threads then I apologize...

poser Administrator
    A straight pull spoke will only work in a straight pull hub of which i know of none outside of Industry Nine and mavic for mountain bikes. It is predominately a road or aluminum spoke application such as on Mavic wheels and I9.

You will want a j bend spoke for any hub you chose too buy. Most people will build with a DT Competition spoke which are double butted, meaning the center is a thinner gauge than the ends. You can build with a straight gauge spoke if you want and save some money in exchange for some weight. DT spokes will come with brass nipples or depending on where you buy them you can also get them with aluminum nipples. Brass nipples are heavier but easier to work with as a new builder. Aluminum are lighter but can be more difficult to work with.

Nipples are sized for the gauge they interface with so a DT competition spoke is a 2.0/1.8/2.0mm or a 14/16/14ga and the nipples are sized accordingly, get the 2.0/14ga nipple for the spoke. It is that simple. You shouldn't need long nipples at all and all spoke sizing programs accommodates the standard nipple length. If it tells you you need 289/291 and 290/290. It is including the nipple in the calculation so just buy that length of spoke and nipples if you want alloy ones.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Former Bike Wrench
    Strait pull spokes require strait pull hubs, most after market hubs are designed for J-bend spokes. 12mm long is the most common nipple length used, unless your rim specifically requires it there really isn't any reason to use longer ones. The most common spokes that wheel builders use are double butted 14ga spokes such as DT Competition or Wheelsmith DB14. These are 14ga at the elbows and nipples but thinner in the middle which make them lighter and more durable than strait 14ga spokes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the info....

poser Administrator
    be sure to check out sheldon brown's website for a good building primer and instructions if you already don't know about it.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    be sure to check out sheldon brown's website for a good building primer and instructions if you already don't know about it.
    He did say "I did read through the stickys" and as Sheldon's happens to be the 2nd one........................

Members who have read this thread: 0