mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Finding companies making 135x5mm QR

I love my 2016 Giant but its biggest flaw is the dated 135mm QR. Any good brand still out there making these wheels. I'm afraid I wont be able to find wheels in the future.

turtles make me hot
    Just have wheels built. You can always get hubs.
    I like turtles

jcd's best friend
    You can buy a set of Hope Pro4 Enduro wheels from Chain Reaction Cycles. I run them on my bike. They are 5mm QR compatible and come with an extra end caps to run 142x12 in the rear should you buy a bike that runs that setup. Also, you can upgrade to a different set of endcaps (sold separately) and run 100x9 front and 135x10 in rear on your open dropouts. You will need to buy the DT Swiss RWS "thru bolts" along with the Hope 9mm and 10mm end caps to make it work. I run this setup on my open dropout bike without any problems. Take note that the DT Swiss "thru bolts" are actually pins with a nut on the end similar to the 5mm QR. People call them thru axles but DT Swiss refers to them as thru bolts.

If interested, send me a PM and I will link everything to you so you can go with this build!

I can also take a few closeup shots of my wheel setup if you wish.
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    You can buy a set of Hope Pro4 Enduro wheels from Chain Reaction Cycles. I run them on my bike. They are 5mm QR compatible and come with an extra end caps to run 142x12 in the rear should you buy a bike that runs that setup. Also, you can upgrade to a different set of endcaps (sold separately) and run 100x9 front and 135x10 in rear on your open dropouts. You will need to buy the DT Swiss RWS "thru bolts" along with the Hope 9mm and 10mm end caps to make it work. I run this setup on my open dropout bike without any problems. Take note that the DT Swiss "thru bolts" are actually pins with a nut on the end similar to the 5mm QR. People call them thru axles but DT Swiss refers to them as thru bolts.

If interested, send me a PM and I will link everything to you so you can go with this build!

I can also take a few closeup shots of my wheel setup if you wish.

I seen those Hope Pro4's and they have a 135mm option but only in stock with SHRAM which I run Shimano so I dont know. I'm a noob, I'm sorry.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider84 View Post
    I seen those Hope Pro4's and they have a 135mm option but only in stock with SHRAM which I run Shimano so I dont know. I'm a noob, I'm sorry.

You can buy the 142x12 set and it comes with adapters for 5mm QR. you can select standard hub for Shimano. Email them and ask if you are uncomfortable with it. CRC should tell you to buy the 142x12 and it comes with the QR adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    Huh? Every disc road bike and cyclocross bike I've ever seen uses either 135x5mm QR or 142x12mm TA, which in many cases are the exact same hub, and can switch between the two with an end cap swap. And, there are thousands of those hubs on eBay right now.

Because of the road/CX thing, no, you will no have any trouble finding those hubs for a long, long time, unless those segments also move to Boost, which seems exceedingly unlikely.
    Death from Below.

mtbpete
    You will be able to find hubs in this configuration for a very long time.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Just have wheels built. You can always get hubs.

This. You can get a nice rim for under $100, 9/10mm axle hubs for $15-30, spokes $10, LBS lacing $50/wheel. A new wheelset that matches your dropouts for under $350.

I may end up doing this on the front with a WTB i35 rim for $75 just to see how a 2.6 or 2.8 does on it compared with the older more narrow 19-21mm rims. $150 total including LBS labor and keeps it 100x9. Then I have a 1/2 plus bike w/o having to buy a whole new + bike.

This is a bit like 26" bikes: they are dead, but they are not really dead!
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

mtbr member
    What model Giant? I had a '16 Anthem SX that came stock with 135/QR, and there is a kit to convert to 142/TA. Bought the parts from Jenson and converted when I bought new wheels with 142/TA hubs. Might be available for your model too.
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

mtbr member
    I love my 2016 Giant but its biggest flaw is the dated 135mm QR. Any good brand still out there making these wheels. I'm afraid I wont be able to find wheels in the future.
    Almost all hubs can be modified to run various size rear ends. If you want wheels built, honestly, look to China.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    There so many options out, just need to do a little searching, below is what I found just browsing CRC. If you want to have upgrade options like going to 142x12 or using outside adapters to go 148x12, the HOPE Pro4s are you best bet. The Shimano hubs will work fine, but they do not use end caps or raced, sealed bearing that press in, they use a cup n cone system where the hub is part of the bearing and the balls sits right inside and you have to adjust the pre-load on them.

Shimano Disc Hub Rear M475 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Shimano Deore M6000 Disc Rear Hub | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Shimano Deore Disc Hub Rear M525A | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Shimano XT Rear Hub T780 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Halo Spin Doctor Disc Rear Hub | Chain Reaction Cycles

Hope Pro 4 MTB Rear Hub - QR Axle | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Hope Pro 4 MTB Rear Hub - 10mm Bolt Up Axle | Chain Reaction Cycles
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

jcd's best friend
    I went with my Hope Pro4 Enduro wheelset with a standard hub and 142x12mm end caps (came with 5mm QR caps installed):
    Hope Tech Enduro - Pro 4 MTB Wheelset | Chain Reaction Cycles

For the conversion from 5mm QR to 9 and 10mm, I used:

10x135mm end caps (for rear hub):
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Hope-Pro-2...-Rear-Hub-Caps

9x100mm end caps (for front hub):
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Hope-Pro-2...Conversion-Kit

And 1 of each thru-bolt:
    https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-R...-Quick-Release

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If you don't want to have wheels built, most of DT Swiss complete wheelsets come with numerous sets of hub end caps, including the QR ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Stans wheels can be ordered with QR as well, and be converted to Thru-Bolt...which i highly highly recommend with whatever wheels you go with.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Consider Easton Haven? I have a set on for sale on PinkBike.