In-the-field patches on UST tires- Mtbr.com
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

In-the-field patches on UST tires

It finally happened to me today - I gashed a sidewall on my rear Conti Gravity UST. I didn't have a patch kit or a tube and the Stans wasn't sealing the hole. Luckily it was an easy hike out. But it could have been worse...

Which begs the question:

What's the best field repair on a UST tire? On epic rides far from civi should I be carrying an emergency tube and/or a patch kit? Can I use a patch kit on th.e inside of the tire and will it hold long enough for me to roll out of the hills?

Don't try and talk me out of my UST setup. TIA
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    It finally happened to me today - I gashed a sidewall on my rear Conti Gravity UST. I didn't have a patch kit or a tube and the Stans wasn't sealing the hole. Luckily it was an easy hike out. But it could have been worse...

Which begs the question:

What's the best field repair on a UST tire? On epic rides far from civi should I be carrying an emergency tube and/or a patch kit? Can I use a patch kit on th.e inside of the tire and will it hold long enough for me to roll out of the hills?

Don't try and talk me out of my UST setup. TIA
    Tubes, quick and easy.

For in the field repairs you will need to carry; superglue, patchkit (car tire kit preferred), Bigair co2 can or three, 2oz of Stans or Slime, good tire levers, rag to clean the stans up. It can be done, it has been done but why? just throw a tube in it and deal with it when you get home.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Inner tube and something that can be used as a boot.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

heckler
    for small rips that the sealant won't fix, i use a plain old elephant tape (gaffer tape) as i've found parks tyre boots won't stick if you use sealant

its cheap, strong, very adhesive and air tight and lasts a lot longer than the tyre does!
    Mythic Spitfire/Lynskey 29er/Orange 5/Turner Sultan/Cotic Soul/Brodie Ti Holeshot/GF Ferrous/Cotic Roadrat

Apr 2006

Plug 'em!!

I carry one of these plug kits from Genuine Innovations: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/139...Repair-Kit.htm

They're practically weightless and if they work are much quicker even than putting a tube in. I have a plug in one tire now for 100 miles...no problem. I still carry a tube though--just in case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I actually don't ride tubeless, but my friend does. From the various flats he's gotten, a tube worked 80% of the time. The one or two times that the tube failed was because the hole in the tire was too big and the tube bulged out from the hole.

Given that, I would think a tube a some duct tape will handle any type of flat.

Members who have read this thread: 0