fastest rolling, lightest weight, highest grip mtb trail tire combo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

fastest rolling, lightest weight, highest grip mtb trail tire combo

looking for the fastest rolling, lightest weighing, highest grip mtb trail tire combo?

any suggestions?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Kenda Hellkat Pro 2.6 front, Kenda Nevegal 2.4 rear.

Since you can't get something for nothing, this combo has thin sidewalls that can cut easily.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post

Since you can't get something for nothing, this combo has thin sidewalls that can cut easily.
    good point, u can not get something for nothing. i would also need them to hold up decent do u have another suggestion that would hold up better?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    looking for the fastest rolling, lightest weighing, highest grip mtb trail tire combo?

any suggestions?

You forgot cheap and durable. Let me know when you find it

mbtr member

any suggestions?
    yeah that's not how it works.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Nat
    mtbr member
    Fastest rolling, lightest, grippiest, and most durable. Add cheap (or free) and thatís kind of the Holy Grail tire that everyone wants but then we have to compromise somewhere. What aspect are you willing to compromise?

It might be more effective to approach this quest by matching a tire to your specific situation.

Bike
    - What kind of bike do you ride?
    - Do you know your rim width?
    - What tires do you have currently and what size are they?

Riding style
    - Do you charge hard and shralp aggressively into corners or are you more of a ďsmooth is fastĒ rider?
    - Do you smash your way through rocks and roots or are you more of a finesse rider?

Conditions
    - What are the trails like where you plan to ride?
    - Are your trails thorny?
    - Muddy?
    - Dry and dusty?
    - Any DH bike park use?
    - Any significant pavement use?

Hitching a ride
    Barzo, XR4

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Dissector front, Rekon rear has been a great trail combo for me. I was running DHF/Aggressor for heavy stuff and Rekon/XR2 for more XC type stuff, but this bridges the gap nicely while providing a ton of grip and low rolling resistance.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For a rear tire I think a 2.35 Ikon DD might be the closes to hitting grip, rolling and durability but the DD casing is not light. For the front, 2.3 DHF with EXO casing.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    I found out that Nobby Nic 29x2.6 might as well be the perfect tires for dries climate and moderately agressive riding where you're doing a lot of miles and ride often. It can handle variety of riding conditions and it's very versatile.

They wear very well, I did about 4000km over 8-9 months on a set and while the rear was maybe at 20-30%, the front was almost as new.

Grip is pretty good, not Minions DHF, but fine for lots of people who are not riding ridiculously steep or very agressive trails at high speed, comfort is excellent due to the volume and they're very fast.

Compared to Minons and such, they're much, much faster rolling so your average speed is actually higher because while Minion makes you 5% faster, 5% of the time, NN makes you 30% faster 95% of the time.

I found it not any slower than 2.35 Forekaster and Ardent Race combo, but with much better braking and climbing grip.

mtbr member
    It'll come down to where and how you ride. As mentioned...there is always a tradeoff.

I'm not the most aggressive rider and where I ride is mostly hardpack...with some sand. I usually go with a smoother tread tire out back for a bit less rolling resistance. I always go with the lighter versions of the tires.

27.5 / 140mm bike. Specialized Eliminator 2.6F and Michelin Force AM 2.6R. This is the bike I use for shuttles and bike parks.

29 /120mm bike. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35F and Rock Razor 2.35R.

I'm 142lbs pre gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Dissector front, Rekon rear has been a great trail combo for me. I was running DHF/Aggressor for heavy stuff and Rekon/XR2 for more XC type stuff, but this bridges the gap nicely while providing a ton of grip and low rolling resistance.
    I gotta try! Being doing exactly the same with DHF/Aggressor and Rekon/XR2. Dissector/Rekon sounds interesting - just waiting on the 2.6" Dissector I guess. Also the new XR3 looks interesting. XR2 is light, fast, and predictable when it slides...only problem is, if you don't pull it in it keeps sliding and sliding without a bite point. Large side knobs on XR3 should solve that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    that combo does sound interesting but if you wanted to run 2.6...are they planning on making a 2.6 dissector?

if u did try the dissector in the rear what did u try up front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What do you think of the dissector as a front compared to the DHF? Especially when it comes to cornering

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    that combo does sound interesting but if you wanted to run 2.6...are they planning on making a 2.6 dissector?

if u did try the dissector in the rear what did u try up front?
    No idea if they plan to make that, but I would assume so since Worldwide has a listing on their site (out of stock).
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ss-ready-black

I haven't tried the Dissector out back, but if I did, I'd likely run another up front, or a DHF.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandy101 View Post
    What do you think of the dissector as a front compared to the DHF? Especially when it comes to cornering
    It's up there and definitely corners well. Not quite as grippy as a DHF, but close. If a DHF is a 10/10 in terms of cornering grip, and a Rekon is a 5/10, I'd give this a solid 8-8.5.

Maxxis cult follower

Yes, Rekon is a really good balance between weight and grip, and rolls pretty silent on pavement when needed, rolls well on fire roads/hardpack.

But I thought the Dissector was supposed to be a rear tire. Have you tried Rekon front and Dissector rear? Was it not as good???
    We ALL have something to learn here, as FC said. Post helpful solutions instead of flaming for your own sadistic need.

Got rocks?

Iíll agree with this except my sidewalks seem to hold up fine in the rocks I ride.
    Hans Dampf 2ís front and back is a good combo too rolls well and grips good until it get real soft the front doesnít hold as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I try lots of tires. All tires are just compromises where you try to get the most important things to you. It's also important to note that your bike and rim width are definitely factors. For instance I can run a much faster rolling rear tire on my Foxy 29 than I could on my Yeti 5.5 because the Foxy just inherently has way more rear traction. However the Foxy, due to it's long front end, can struggle with front end grip and likes a very grippy front tire where as I didn't find that to be the case with the 5.5. Balance of traction is also important. If I choose the highest traction front, and the highest traction rear tires, then my front end will let go way before my rear upsetting the bike's balance at the limit. I've never had too much front traction (although too much rolling resistance is common) but it's easy to have too much rear traction and have a rear end that doesn't slide when you need it to.

My favorite rear is the Schwalbe Rock Razor (2.35) on dry rocky loose over hard pack. It shreds in the turns, it's so darn fast, light, holds up well (I always run tire/ wheel noodles however front and rear and this is a major factor in which tires I can run, would never be able to run trail casings otherwise). About 1x per ride the Rock Razor will let me down where I'll try to climb something really steep and loose, will lose momentum, and if I don't get things just right, it'll spin out. The Rock Razor allows me to go so much faster down the trails that the momentum gets me up most obstacles without having to rely on absolute slow speed traction.
    My very close second favorite tire, this is certainly a better choice when soil is moist or loamy (rare around here) and bike trips to bike parks, is the Hans Dampf II (2.35). It's awesome at everything, except price really. It towers over the Aggressor in overall performance for instance. It has more traction, while rolling much faster, while being larger, and being lighter. I really like Addix compounds.
    My 3rd favorite rear was the WTB Breakout (tough, fast). Great tire but discontinued.
    On a 29er, I don't like wide rear tires. On a 27.5 however, I needed a wider rear tire to get the needed traction.
    For the time being I'm done testing rear tires and will stick with my top 2 choices above depending on conditions.

For a front tire, I don't have a favorite. Right now I'm on the MSC Gripper which is pretty good, top 2-3 front tire for sure, just rolls a bit slowly. I'll be trying the Maxxis Dissector and the Tioga Edge 22 as a front next, neither of which are available currently. If I had a more narrow front rim I'd probably stick with the Magic Mary, but with a 33mm front rim a 2.35 MM is too flat and weird and I don't like true 2.6 tires so that option is out.

Obviously I don't care in the least about having matching tires, model or brand. Imo, the needs of the front and rear tires are different, therefore they should never be the exact same model or you are leaving performance on the table. Also I like a narrow rear tire that has square blocky closely spaced knobs with more knobs and edges on the ground and a wider front with more aggressive wider spaced knobs with preferably ramps down the center. Because everything is so pedally here I don't prioritize front end braking traction and frankly even on a trail front tire I can lift the back tire when slowing down.

If you aren't a tire nerd and just want good tires, Maxxis is really hard to beat. They are inexpensive, usually widely available, reasonable tough, wear pretty well, and have good traction as well. They are above average on everything while being bad at nothing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:17 AM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Iíll agree with this except my sidewalks seem to hold up fine in the rocks I ride.
    The tires are relatively light because the casing is thin and they do fine until they donít. Unfortunately my 2.4 Nevegal cut right open on lava rock the very first ride and I replaced it with a Maxxis Double Down casing tire.

Got rocks?
    The tires are relatively light because the casing is thin and they do fine until they donít. Unfortunately my 2.4 Nevegal cut right open on lava rock the very first ride and I replaced it with a Maxxis Double Down casing tire.
    I did that to a forekaster a while back on it first ride. Itís called luck of the draw. Iíve killed many of tires at our local spot and so has a lot of my riding buddies, split sidewalls straight open on random sharp rocks.
    Iíve heard the EMC casing nevegal is stout and only around 900 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    I did that to a forekaster a while back on it first ride. Itís called luck of the draw. Iíve killed many of tires at our local spot and so has a lot of my riding buddies, split sidewalls straight open on random sharp rocks.
    Iíve heard the EMC casing nevegal is stout and only around 900 grams.

900g is a decent weight. The OP asked for the lightest weight (and fastest rolling, and highest grip) tire but he also wants it to hold up (basically he wants a unicorn). Like I said before, you can't get something for nothing, so if he wants durability too he should pick a thicker casing tire like an enduro or DH version.

Edit: What the OP really is asking is "what's the best setup for me and for where I ride?" Until we talk about his specific situation basically everyone is just spitting out their current favorite tire setup for where they ride and how they ride.

Got rocks?
    900g is a decent weight. The OP asked for the lightest weight (and fastest rolling, and highest grip) tire but he also wants it to hold up (basically he wants a unicorn). Like I said before, you can't get something for nothing, so if he wants durability too he should pick a thicker casing tire like an enduro or DH version.
    Lol yeah pretty much.

Hitching a ride
    For lowest rr, the tests agree that you want Vittoria g+, Conti, or Schwalbe. But none of these companies make a top grip front trail tire for the dry.

In the desert/semi desert riding around here, people settle on Vittoria g+ on the rear and a Bontrager or Maxxis on the front. Combos I see regularly:

Morsa/DHF
    Morsa/Assegai
    Morsa/XR4
    Mezcal/XR4
    Saguaro/Hans Dampf
    XR4/XR4
    XR2/XR4
    Mountain King/XR5

Whenever I want a fun challenge I put on Morsa/Morsa. They're so fast, and corner great, but you have to lean them or you have very little corner grip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    For lowest rr, the tests agree that you want Vittoria g+, Conti, or Schwalbe. But none of these companies make a top grip front trail tire for the dry.
    Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've had great luck with 29x2.35 Forekasters F/R here in Austin. Surprisingly light too at 735g
    https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-518-140-forekaster

Rides all the bikes!
    Just put heavy tires on and be done with it. Save the weight weenie shit for XC racers.

Seriously.

mtbr member
    These tire qualities (including durability mentioned in a later post) are mutually exclusive. If you want fast rolling you are going to have to give up some grip. If you want lightest you are going have to give up some durability. It's like saying I want the fastest accelerating car with the best fuel economy.

As we use to say in bike retail: strong, light, cheap. Pick two.

Got rocks?
    Iíve been on the hunt for the fastest rolling grippy tire for a while. So good luck. So far for me itís been Hans Dampf2 has been my favorite with nevegal and hellkat(great front) second

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Just put heavy tires on and be done with it. Save the weight weenie shit for XC racers.

Seriously.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sidewalk again."

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Seriously.
    Tire weight is just one performance metric, and it's fine if that it is unimportant to you.

At my skill level, training level, age, trails, etc...it makes a real difference in my performance in that I'm considerably faster over the entire length of a trail on fast & light tires than I am on slow & heavy tires, and this applies to very rough AM style trails. The result is that I have a lot more fun.

Oddly enough when I first began riding I slashed tires often but now I'm much faster and more capable but rarely hurt tires.

~ take care

Hitching a ride

Seriously.
    Or just avoid WTB and avoid 29ers.