Fastest 29er tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Fastest 29er tires?

Hello, i'm looking for a fastttt 29er tire for a two hour fast race. It has nothing technical and has a lot of asphalt also(average speed is aroung 30kmh). So what i need is a tire with lowest possible rolling resistance. Preferable not smaller than 2.00"
    Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Schwalbe racing ralph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go faster!
    Take a look at the Teravail Sparwood (weight?), Maxxis Aspen or Specialized Fast Trak. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    What about something like this? Inexpensive and look to be fast, although I've never used them.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...ires/hurricane

mtbr member
    I put this tire on my XC bike for a gravel ride. Tioga Fast 13. Low rolling resistance and fast. they sell them cheap on Ebay. Tubeless ready

Fast 13 – Tioga

Ahhh the pain....
    maxxis pace, maxxis recon race, bontrager xr-1, xr-0, swchalbe Thunder Burt

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks for the replies! For this category (pace, ralph etc) ill prefer racekings, although i think i need something even faster like big one(although i think they discontinuing it)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've got a few thousand miles on the race king 29x2.0

It's pretty quick. It definitely leaves something to be desired when cornering in loose conditions, but has been a great rear otherwise. With some care to weight distribution it climbs some steep stuff.

My front is a 29x2.2 x king. I don't push it too hard in this set up, but that tire had been a good mixed surface front.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nothing technical, a lot of asphalt, 30 kph (~17mph), sounds more like a cross or gravel bike tire than an mtb tire.
    Do the math.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Maxxis Rambler, Specialized Sawtooth...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    At least 2 inches please!

Not a role model
    I liked the RaceKing for speed, but had trouble mastering the art of controlling that speed when trying to slow down. Definitely something I would need to get many practice laps in with, and definitely would not be comfortable riding blind/exploring unfamiliar areas. I do better in such areas on Ikons, or DHR2 if it gets a bit looser and rougher.

slow
    I've had good luck with the Kenda Small Block 8 and the Schwalbe Rapid Rob. The WTB Woverine and Specialized Fastrak have also done pretty well for me.

mtbr member
    Aired up Fast Trak.

Hitching a ride
    The new Vittoria tirenno zero g+ if you can find it.

This place needs an enema
    WTB Nano.

If you can find them, the old Kenda Khan's were amazingly fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    I liked the RaceKing for speed, but had trouble mastering the art of controlling that speed when trying to slow down. Definitely something I would need to get many practice laps in with, and definitely would not be comfortable riding blind/exploring unfamiliar areas. I do better in such areas on Ikons, or DHR2 if it gets a bit looser and rougher.
    What do ikon and DHR have to do with this thread? Of course those tires give you more traction (braking and otherwise) than anything else in this thread.

Not a role model
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    What do ikon and DHR have to do with this thread? Of course those tires give you more traction (braking and otherwise) than anything else in this thread.

Rolling resistance is fast when grip isn't an issue, but when grip is an issue, what gets you to the finish line fastest is another matter.

Corners, and other braking points, can make all those gains you get from low rolling resistance be for naught. When you're going 17+ mph anyways, air resistance is a big factor slowing you down. Mistakes made due to being wheel-to-wheel, and handlebar-to-handlebar with other traffic can do quite a bit to negate gains too.

Fireroads tend to be sunbaked, rough, and any looseness on top tends to cause the sliding-on-marbles effect. Fallacy to only consider rolling resistance. P.S. the DHR2 has ~35W of Crr, which is comparable to an Ardent. I believe the Ikon is 28-30W, and the RaceKing (RaceSport) is 18-20W, all tested on the same textured drum.

Hitching a ride
    Yes, DHR2 has ok rr on hardpack but if the knobs sink into anything that goes up quite a bit. There is also the issue of air resistance at these high speeds.

Not a role model
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Yes, DHR2 has ok rr on hardpack but if the knobs sink into anything that goes up quite a bit. There is also the issue of air resistance at these high speeds.
    Oh no, that's terrible, better look for tires without knobs that sink into anything so that isn't an issue! *sarcasm*

It's not about improving max speed, it's about improving the average speed, and doing so by considering more factors and all the trade-offs involved. Only focusing on Crr is akin to trying to make the engine more efficient, at cost of handling. Or removing a spoiler off of a F1 racer, because you see it as blight to aerodynamics.

I don't consider fireroads and asphalt to be smooth, flat, and easy to ride, at least the kind involved in these mixed endurance events. I see old neglected beat up surfaces, and the dangers of sliding-on-marbles, the sunbaked dryness of the surface, and how a rider may overcompensate for lack of control when things get more demanding.

If you're behind a bunch of other riders skidding into corners, without any chance to pass, might as well just run the same as them. If you had better control, you might consider even the tiniest amount of passing room to be an opportunity. Do you set yourself up for such opportunity, or do you set yourself up to do something else, like conserving 10-15W on pedally sections, accepting the trade-off of using energy to tighten your sphincter on anything you're dragging your brakes on? "Resting on DHs" is a myth when you're riding tires without grip.
    Last edited by ninjichor; 03-22-2019 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Rolling resistance is fast when grip isn't an issue, but when grip is an issue, what gets you to the finish line fastest is another matter.

Corners, and other braking points, can make all those gains you get from low rolling resistance be for naught. When you're going 17+ mph anyways, air resistance is a big factor slowing you down. Mistakes made due to being wheel-to-wheel, and handlebar-to-handlebar with other traffic can do quite a bit to negate gains too.

Fireroads tend to be sunbaked, rough, and any looseness on top tends to cause the sliding-on-marbles effect. Fallacy to only consider rolling resistance. P.S. the DHR2 has ~35W of Crr, which is comparable to an Ardent. I believe the Ikon is 28-30W, and the RaceKing (RaceSport) is 18-20W, all tested on the same textured drum.
    Yeah, but are you actually paying attention to the OP? Sounds a lot like 'no'. What's your recommendation for a non technical race with a significant amount of pavement?

Not a role model
    Can't recommend anything, but I'd be considering Schwalbe Rocket Ron Addix Speed 2.25, which has taller shoulder knobs than what I'm accustomed to among fast rolling XC tires (Crr 18-23W).

If it's as non-technical as I imagine, can just up the tire pressure to like 45 psi.

The Big One, eh? Can consider the Schwalbe G One Snakeskin TLE 2.25, or even a Marathon Almotion, if the Big One goes away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Here you go, the fastest MTB tire: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...s/furious_fred

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Schwalbe G One Snakeskin TLE 2.25
    This is what i'm considering so far! Any idea how this rolls compared to conti rk?! Also there is a g one model and a g one allround model! I suppose the second is a bit slower but gripper!

Never trust a fart
    I'd go with the Specialized Fast Trak in the 2.0. It's a very fast tire on hardpack, but if you do get into a little loose stuff, it has decent traction. I've ran this tire before on the back of my hardtail and loved it.

mtbr member
    I dont trust the drum tests. The DHR2 has ungodly rolling resistance. I had to stop and check that my brakes weren't seized or dragging.

Sounds like a furious fred would be a good choice if theres a bunch of pavement riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I dont trust the drum tests. The DHR2 has ungodly rolling resistance. I had to stop and check that my brakes weren't seized or dragging.

Sounds like a furious fred would be a good choice if theres a bunch of pavement riding.
    Yes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Not a role model
    The G-One Allround has greater tread depth and comes in 2.25, compared to the G-One Speed, which comes in 2.35 and 2.0.

I can't tell if there's any difference between the G-One Speed 2.35 and the Big One 2.35; Schwalbe says the G-One is an "evolution of the former S-One and Big One".

high pivot witchcraft
    ...The DHR2 has ungodly rolling resistance. I had to stop and check that my brakes weren't seized or dragging...
    For whatever reason I find that some DHR2s are draggier than others. Unfortunately my current one on my FS feels like I am in quicksand in times. For this reason, I went with a DHF/Aggressor combo on my hard tail.

X83
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Sounds like a furious fred would be a good choice if there's a bunch of pavement riding.
    I don't trust the drum rolling resistance test either.

I had the Specialized S-Works Fast Trak 29x2.2 588g tires on my bike previously and the rolling resistance was far superior to the Continental Race King Protection 29x2.2 629g tires which had a better rating. I do like the Continental Race Kings for the braking on asphalt better and they have a higher puncture resistance but if I had to purchase another set, I'd go back with the fast traks.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...fast-trak-2016

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...rotection-2015

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    The new Vittoria tirenno zero g+ if you can find it.
    Vittoria Terreno 29 x 2.25 XC race Casing (Tan Sidewall) mine weighs 648 grams super fast durable so far in the Midwest. Order directly on Vittoria web page

Other Tires used this race season

Schwalbe Rocket Ron Snake Skin addix speed 2.25 623 grams
    Maxxis Rekon Race 2.25 TR ( Not EXO) 618 grams
    Specialized S Works renegade 2.3 546 grams
    Vittoria Barzo2.25 684 grams Mezcal2.25 671 grams

So Far even through they are heavier I really like the Mezcal Front and the Terreno on the rear, its faster than the reckon race IMHO about the same side grip

Hitching a ride
    But you weren't on the DC DHRII

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle View Post
    Vittoria Terreno 29 x 2.25 XC race Casing (Tan Sidewall) mine weighs 648 grams super fast durable so far in the Midwest. Order directly on Vittoria web page

Other Tires used this race season

Schwalbe Rocket Ron Snake Skin addix speed 2.25 623 grams
    Maxxis Rekon Race 2.25 TR ( Not EXO) 618 grams
    Specialized S Works renegade 2.3 546 grams
    Vittoria Barzo2.25 684 grams Mezcal2.25 671 grams

So Far even through they are heavier I really like the Mezcal Front and the Terreno on the rear, its faster than the reckon race IMHO about the same side grip
    How was the rolling resistance of the Specialized S-Works Renegade 2.3...I'm guessing this is the new design?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    How was the rolling resistance of the Specialized S-Works Renegade 2.3...I'm guessing this is the new design?
    Felt faster than the Rekon Race , better climbing and braking Traction.

It has a very rounded profile and really did not seem to have and end point when leaning in corners, the Rekon has larger side knobs and has more bite at the limits.

I only used the Renegade on the rear.

Still finding the limit on the Terreno somewhere in between the the Renegade and Rekon for cornering traction.

Overall here in the Midwest I prefer the Rekon Race, the Terreno is faster than the Rekon and close in cornering grip.

Recovering from Hamstring Surgery therefore I can't really push the Terreno to the limit as I can't go down at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Vittoria Terreno Cross Country, in the rear, coupled with a slightly knobbier tire up front like a Mezcal, Rekon Race, etc.

Na
    Feb 2019
    Marathon Almotion