Fast Maxxis Tire - Rekon Race or Aspen?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Fast Maxxis Tire - Rekon Race or Aspen?

Trying to pick between Rekon Race and Aspen for a 100mi supposedly basically gravel race. I've run both in the rear and like them, but haven't spent enough time to have a preference, nor have I run either on the front.

Anyone spent a decent amount of time on both and have a preference as a light, fast rolling option while not being completely without traction? Currently probably leaning toward Rekon Race due to the 2.35 option.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Chase

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    Trying to pick between Rekon Race and Aspen for a 100mi supposedly basically gravel race. I've run both in the rear and like them, but haven't spent enough time to have a preference, nor have I run either on the front.

Anyone spent a decent amount of time on both and have a preference as a light, fast rolling option while not being completely without traction? Currently probably leaning toward Rekon Race due to the 2.35 option.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Chase
    I used both Aspen 2.25 and Rekon Race 2.25 in the rear on an XC SingleSpeed bike.
    Aspen is lighter at 640 gm and has a bit more traction than Rekon Race. RR 2.25 has slightly larger casing volume even though they are both 2.25. They both roll fast.
    Rekon Race 2.35 is heavy at 770 gm. IMO, Better off with Ikon 2.35 in the rear over Rekon Race 2.35 -Ikon is 30 gm lighter and actually has some traction for climbing. I mean if the course you will be racing requires that big of a volume tire then chances are you will need traction also. I loved Ikons in the rear and I wish they had a 2.25.
    IMO Ikon 2.35 >>>RR 2.35
    Aspen 2.25 vs. RR 2.25 depends on application. weight vs. traction vs. volume - you can go with either and be just fine. I lean towards Aspens myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The 2.25 Aspen tests slightly faster than the 2.25 Rekon Race at bicyclerollingresistance.com on the drum test.

I think I'd go with the 2.25 Aspen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hahaha if you read the whole topic you must think that the Rekon Race is a fail for maxxis. It's heavier, higher rolling resistance and less traction. I thought Rekon Race had better traction but is heavier and has more rolling resistance but wears better then the Aspen.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2004
    for fast riding the aspen. If you need a bit of extra grip and longevity then the Rekon Race

Formerly of Kent
    I'll be throwing a Rekon Race 2.35 on the rear of my bike pretty soon. Looks pretty ideal for my local riding.
    Death from Below.