mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Enve M630 vs Ibis 735 vs SC Reserve 30???

I’m currently doing research on a good carbon wheelset for my 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson. At 5’10”, 195lbs. with a BMX and DH background I just like having fun on the trails. But, at 36 I’m not really riding crazy big lines or anything like that. My trails are typical Northeast riding, NY/NJ/CT trails such as Alpine, Sprain, Blue, Ringwood, Sterling, Rockland, Trumbull, etc. Some trails are flowy, most have a good amount of rocks and roots with all of that fun having to be earned with some decent climbs. I do hit MountainCreek bike hard a couple times a season.

My Bronson is basically a higher end build with RaceFace Next R components, SRAM X01 Eagle, Fox Factory, etc. I usually run a DHF 2.5WT front and either a DHR II 2.4WT or Aggressor 2.3 rear. Right around 29lbs, a lighter wheelset would be nice.

Keeping price completely out of the equation, which wheelset would you recommend? I’m looking for input on ride quality and strength.

Enve M630 - Warranty doesn’t seem to be on par with Santa Cruz or Ibis. Weight is stellar. 30mm internal width is perfect. I would have to go with DT240 hubs which isn’t bad, but I think I prefer the Indtry Nine hubs that the other options have. How much better do these newer versions ride? When I put M60/40 HV’s on my 5010 I did notice the stiffness and started getting numbness in my right hand.

Santa Cruz Reserve 30 - Best warranty in the business. Weight is ok, same weight as my current RaceFace Arc30 Offset/I9 wheelset. Reviews are great. Industry Nine hubs.

Ibis 735 - Warranty seems to be on par with Santa Cruz. Weight is awesome. 29mm internal width seems like a non-issue with just being 1mm narrower than what I think is the perfect width, 30mm. Industry Nine hubs.

The crazy low weight of the Enve and Ibis options make me wonder if they are ‘strong enough’, but that may be a mute point as I’m not particularly hard on wheels, I really do not mangle my aluminum wheels at all. Any of these carbon options would be stronger than any aluminum rim, correct?

mtbr member
    Enve M630 vs Ibis 735 vs SC Reserve 30???-img_8025.jpg
    Yeti SB130 Turq X0

Elitest thrill junkie
    Depends what you mean by "stronger". Able to endure huge side-loading events, stay true almost indefinitely and massive jumps/drops? Sure. Able to endure slamming on a rock due to not using enough pressure? No.

Personally, I love my Nextie-rim wheelsets. I don't think there's anything that those others offer. If they are handing out free rims for user-error, that might be helpful, but we'll need a significant amount of time to prove that's consistent and wheels don't build themselves (unless you are a wheel-builder). There's nothing that Envy/NOS/Ibis, etc., offers that convinces me they are any better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Barely in control
    I'd get the lightest ones. I also agree with Jayem but if you want to conspicuously consume then have fun.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I like the ibis wheels the best
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I like the ibis wheels the best

Why do you say that exactly?
    Have you ridden all 3?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
    Why do you say that exactly?
    Have you ridden all 3?
    I have not rode the Santa Cruz wheels and they do look like a great setup. 490g.

Ibis nailed the rims with offset spoke holes and a very shallow rim. This builds a balanced strong wheel that has a perfect amount of compliance for my weight of 190. They are also one of the cheapest options and the lightest 410g.
    I rode the 942 for 2 year and am now on the 935. I like the 935 better. The tire profile suits my style much better. 30mm internal is the sweet spot for 2.5 and 2.6 tires.

As much I love the Enves and I've had 2 sets and rode 2 other sets on demos, they are just too stiff. I haven't tried the new new rubber strip version. They are the most expensive 419g.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I have not rode the Santa Cruz wheels and they do look like a great setup. 490g.

Ibis nailed the rims with offset spoke holes and a very shallow rim. This builds a balanced strong wheel that has a perfect amount of compliance for my weight of 190. They are also one of the cheapest options and the lightest 410g.
    I rode the 942 for 2 year and am now on the 935. I like the 935 better. The tire profile suits my style much better. 30mm internal is the sweet spot for 2.5 and 2.6 tires.

As much I love the Enves and I've had 2 sets and rode 2 other sets on demos, they are just too stiff. I haven't tried the new new rubber strip version. They are the most expensive 419g.
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

I was leaning towards the SC Reserve’s because if the fact that I ride a new Bronson, their rave reviews, lifetime warranty and perfect width. My only hold back is their weight which is exactly the same as my current Arc30/I9 wheelset.

The Ibis 735’s seem perfect. Warranty seems good, 29mm internal seems close enough for my tire selection (the 742’s just seem too wide), reviews seem great. My only hold back is 1540g almost ‘too light’?! But, that would be awesome to drop around 200g from my wheelset on something that’s on par strength wise with what I’m riding now. I would just have to run no decals on these as running Ibis decals in my Bronson would make my OCD brain cringe haha

The Enve’s, well they’re Enve’s. Most of the reviews on the latest generation are on the M730’s, not the M630’s which is what I would get. Weight is a tiny bit better than the Ibis 735’s. Enve says the latest M630’s are as strong as the past M70/30 HV’s. This also makes me think the Ibis 735’s are ‘strong enough’.