Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts

Hi guys, I just purchased a wheelset from Elite Wheels
    See - Pro Carbon Cycling Wheels Solution Supplier. – UCI Cycling Wheel and Rim for Road Bike, Mountain Bike, Gravel Bike, Cycle Cross, Triathlon, Fat Bike!
    And wanted to do a quick initial thoughts/review on what I received.

Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-1.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-2.jpg

I looked into many different Chinese wheel manufacturers and decided to go with these Elite wheels due to them having the Hope hubs I wanted and the price was better than the other companies I was looking at like Light Bicycle, Yoeleo & Carbon Fan. Their communication was also excellent and they happily answered all the questions I had.

I couldn't find too many reviews on their wheels so I decided to do one of my own. Hopefully it might help someone else if they are looking at buying some Elites wheels. They do seem to also sell wheels on Ebay but going through the website means you can choose your specific build.
    (FYI - I am not affiliated with Elite wheels at all and these were paid by myself in full).

The build -
    27.5er mtb carbon wheels asymmetric style 35mm width for XC/AM : Elite-wheels.com

Rims: 27.5 MTB Asymmetric style with hookless bead 35mm ext 28.6mm int 420g. AM build/weight 32 hole UD finish with black decals.
    Hubs: Hope Pro 4 100x15 & 142x12
    Spokes/Nipples: 3x laced, J bend Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Sapim alloy nipples

I calculated these by the claimed weight of the individual parts and came up with 1642g. Once they arrived they actually weighed in at 1688g (Which I think is well within tolerance) . I went for a burlier build with 32 spokes, the Hope hubs and heavier AM carbon layup. As I live in North Vancouver and plan on beating on these wheels. But even changing to DT-Swiss hubs would of shaved 100g off the build weight.
    Also the rim measurements came in at 28.41mm internal and 35.36mm external. (see images below).

The build took 9 days from ordering. I was then sent a email with a some photos of the finished wheels and a tracking number. The wheels then took 7 days to arrive in North Vancouver.

In the box was also a really nice padded wheel bag plus a front and rear thru axle, 2 x Giant tubeless valves and two extra spokes and nipples. I wasn't expecting those at all so it was a really nice added bonus.
    I also did a quick unboxing video here - https://youtu.be/X2M1W7BcqP0

The overall finish is much nicer than what I was expecting. they really are a sexy looking set of wheels. Also the logo/decal is actually ghosted in under the clear and not some cheap sticker.

I plan on setting these up tubeless and will be riding the hell out of them in North Vancouver. So this is just an initial thoughts/impression after unboxing the wheels. I will come back and post my ride impressions once I have these on the bike and some miles under my belt. But in the mean time feel free to ask me any questions and I will be happy to answer.

Lastly, if you are in the market or looking for some Carbon wheels do take a look on the Elite website. They have a huge selection of sizes and widths with multiple build options. So they should have a wheel to suite your needs or riding style.

Pictures:

Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-3.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-4.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-5.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-6.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-7.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-8.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-9.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-10.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-11.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-12.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-13.jpg

transmitter~receiver
    why does this post read like an ad?

that profile looks like junk from a tubeless perspective. burp city.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Totally legit. No red flags at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sorry guys if thats what youre thinking?

I read a bunch of Light Bicycle and Carbon Fan wheels reviews on here when I was trying to research for a new wheelset. I came across these Elite wheels and decided to give them a try even though I couldn't see any reviews on them...
    I use MTBR all the time to look up reviews/opinions of possible new component purchases. And I just figured I might be doing someone else a service if they were trying to find some info on this company!
    And I just based my review off of the other ones I read on MTBR. (this is my first time doing such a review by the way. It sounds as though i failed! hahaha)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    why does this post read like an ad?

that profile looks like junk from a tubeless perspective. burp city.
    Sorry dude, I based the layout off a few other reviews I read on MTBR. Its my first time doing a review and thought it might help someone out seeing I couldn't find much info on these!
    Only time will tell if they ride any good...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

1st Ride

The weather was just too nice this morning that I decided to get these wheels installed and get a couple of shake down laps in up Mt Fromme before work.

The front set up tubeless super easy with some gorilla tape and the Giant valves that were supplied. But the rear was an absolute pain in the butt!
    I had to use a couple of co2 bulbs to get it finally seated. But the rear tire was used and had some old crusty dried sealant in it though. So that might of had something to do with it...

Im running Continental Trail Kings front and rear. I rode them with some decent pressures on this 1st shake down ride with 28f/30r and did a quick lap of Leopard/Kirkford and then Pipeline. The wheels felt great, super stiff compared to the Alloy Spank Oozy wheels they replaced. And no abnormal pings or pops to be heard of. Just the hope hubs buzzing away... (I forgot how loud Hopes hubs are). With the width being 8mm wider than the old spank wheels tire support seemed good. But eventually dropping pressures will be the real test.
    Same tires and similar weight to the Spank wheels though so climbing didn't really feel any different. And it was only fire road climbing on this ride.

I know only 1 ride on these is hardly enough time to give a proper review. So I will give some thoughts once I've been living with them for a while. But so far so good.

Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-20180426_100626-01.jpg
    Elite-Wheels (Yuanan) 27.5 35mm Asymmetric Chinese Carbon Wheelset - Review/Thoughts-20180426_095514_001-01.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    What was shipping cost on these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It was either $60 or $70 from memory. I also asked them to put a lower price on the invoice which meant I only paid $33 in tax/duty when they arrived.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Wheel Update

So I have been riding these things for a couple of months now. And figured I would come back to give a more long term review.

I'm still really happy with these wheels. They are completely silent compared to some older ENVE M60 wheels I have which seem to ping a lot. I think thats mainly due to the extra spoke count and shorter length seeing the ENVE wheels are 29" and these are 27.5".
    I've also had the spoke tension checked for peace of mind and they didn't need any adjustment.
    I probably ride Mt Fromme 2-3 times a week and have also ridden them up Seymour a few times now. Lots of technical rocky/rooty trails.
    These things are stiff and hold a line amazingly well. They've just taken everything so far in their stride. I've played around with my air pressures and settled on around 22 front and 26 rear. I haven't had any rim hits, flats or burping at all. I check my pres before every ride and they typically dont need much if any additional air. These are the widest rim I've ever owned and I have to say Im sold on this new wider rim trend. Grip is really excellent at these lower pressures which I assume I can get away with due to the width and better side wall support.

So in short, I'm happy with my purchase. And for the price compared to all the other Chinese carbon wheels I was looking at. I think these are top notch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornchip View Post
    So I have been riding these things for a couple of months now. And figured I would come back to give a more long term review.

I'm still really happy with these wheels. They are completely silent compared to some older ENVE M60 wheels I have which seem to ping a lot. I think thats mainly due to the extra spoke count and shorter length seeing the ENVE wheels are 29" and these are 27.5".
    I've also had the spoke tension checked for peace of mind and they didn't need any adjustment.
    I probably ride Mt Fromme 2-3 times a week and have also ridden them up Seymour a few times now. Lots of technical rocky/rooty trails.
    These things are stiff and hold a line amazingly well. They've just taken everything so far in their stride. I've played around with my air pressures and settled on around 22 front and 26 rear. I haven't had any rim hits, flats or burping at all. I check my pres before every ride and they typically dont need much if any additional air. These are the widest rim I've ever owned and I have to say Im sold on this new wider rim trend. Grip is really excellent at these lower pressures which I assume I can get away with due to the width and better side wall support.

So in short, I'm happy with my purchase. And for the price compared to all the other Chinese carbon wheels I was looking at. I think these are top notch.
    How are these wheels holding up? I'm looking to get a set of carbon XC wheels from them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    nusnusds, these wheels are still going strong. They've been thrashed since buying them on my main trail bike. And honestly not a wobble,loose spoke or anything to report wrong with them. Im really impressed! Its my first ever Chinese carbon wheelset and these have been so good. I cant see why I'll be riding anything else in the future.
    I've just moved to Squamish and the weather lately has been amazing. So they've already been out a bunch. And will be getting punished even more this summer!

mtbr member
    That's a good weight for carbon. Mine are 28mm too, but 380g. I'd gladly take another 40g of carbon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What was price on your set?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk