Effect of Rim Width on Tire Width- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Effect of Rim Width on Tire Width

I am running a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 on a crosstrial (19mm inner deimension). This give me about 5mm of clearence on each side to both the seat and chane stay.

If I move to a Stans Flow rim am I going to see any noticible increase in the tread width along with the squaring off of the tire profile?

I saw the below link and figure I would expect about .5mm increase in the tread width. Just wondering if anyone had relevant experience.

http://www.mtbtires.com/site2/tech/3...-on-tire-width

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I haven't paid any attention to how my mtb tires feel on either of the two wheelsets I have (DT Swiss 470s and Stans Arch's) BUT I have tried mounting road tires on two significantly different width road rims. Specifically, going from the typical 19mm wide DT Swiss R1.1s to 23.4mm wide Salsa Delgados, using a couple of different Conti tires in either 25mm or 28mm widths: HUGE improvement in ride quality and traction (due to much larger contact patch). I was so pleased with the change in performance that for the coming road season I'm going to run Hutchinson tubeless tires in 25mm on my Stans 355 wheels that I've got built up w/ normal road hubs for 'cross use.

mtbr member
    some people like a round bulgy front tire.. i thought it was more stable on a wider rim and flatter tire.. definitely felt a difference, i think its subjective which is better. i dont like feeling my tire rollover.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.

One question I am trying to answer is will the effective tread width expand to a point where i have to worry about rubbing the frame? I currently have only 5mm of space on each side with the tire on a 19mm rim.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by hani1
    I am running a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 on a crosstrial (19mm inner deimension). This give me about 5mm of clearence on each side to both the seat and chane stay.

If I move to a Stans Flow rim am I going to see any noticible increase in the tread width along with the squaring off of the tire profile?

I saw the below link and figure I would expect about .5mm increase in the tread width. Just wondering if anyone had relevant experience.

http://www.mtbtires.com/site2/tech/3...-on-tire-width
    Not just width, but the shape of the tire can change.

IME the Nevegal 2.35 is a poor performing front tire on a rim narrower than ~27mm (~21mm inside). Works well on 27mm and wider rims.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Shiggy thanks for the input. I know you have looked at these types of changes with some scrutiny can you tell me the what the tread width is on a 22mm (inner dimension) would be?

I am aware the profile of the tire becomes flatter, that is one of the reasons why I am moving to the wider rim.

Quote Originally Posted by hani1
    Shiggy thanks for the input. I know you have looked at these types of changes with some scrutiny can you tell me the what the tread width is on a 22mm (inner dimension) would be?

I am aware the profile of the tire becomes flatter, that is one of the reasons why I am moving to the wider rim.
    Sorry, no I can not.

But it will be minimal. Not anywhere near the 10mm of total clearance you have now.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ballpark is 1mm of tire width for every 3mm wider you go on the rim.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I went from Olympic (19 mm) to Flow rims.
    Nevegal 2.2 and Smallblock 2.35 only increased in width by 1 - 1.5 mm. If you have 5 mm either side at the mo', then you should be fine. It's more than I have.
    I did notice some squaring off on the 2.2, but nothing much on the 2.35.

Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    Ballpark is 1mm of tire width for every 3mm wider you go on the rim.
    My tests show it depends on the casing size and tread design.
    This page shows many tires that gained 1mm or less tread width with a 12mm change in rim width. One tire tread even got narrower.
    mtbtires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0