Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,647

    East Coast Fall and Winter Tires

    What time do you recommend to ride when leaves fall, trails are damp, possible light snow with freeze thaw and frozen? Small rocks and roots.

    Anyone have Vittoria or new Hans Dampf experience?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OwenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,341
    Southeast/Appalachian foothills here, but same kind of stuff-lots of rocks and roots with pine straw and duff over whatever, which turns into a slip&slide when covered in leaves.
    Until last year, when the leaves fell I just rode more...on my brakes.
    This past winter I bought a 2.35" Addix Soft Magic Mary for the front and 2.35" Speedgrip Nobby Nic for the rear, and they were fantastic. Heavier and "slower" combo than my regular tires, but I could ride much faster and more confidently with crappy trail conditions.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    66
    I've had good luck with two sets of Maxxis HR2's so far, but was thinking of giving the shorty or dhr a try next. The HR2 was good in mud and snow as well as rocks. Wet roots suck no matter what tire you use, unless you hit them square and not on a turn. They are especially fun when they are hidden under wet leaves on a fast turn. I ride Eastern PA mostly about 1-2 hours north of phila. Lots of mud, rocks, roots and short steep hills.

  4. #4
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,767
    The Hans is good. The 2.4 DHR2 especially with the 3C on front is better but heavier. The SE5 is very good but expensive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  5. #5
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,158
    live in Central Ohio, but much of the same terrain issue...subbed for interest as well.

    People have been telling me to try the Duro Crux (29x3.5), but am still shopping
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

    15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtrider76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Magic Mary ft and Hans Dampf rear is primo in eastern PA.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,647
    Are these the new HD? Anyone have the HD sift front and Speedgrip rear?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,397
    For the most part, changing tires with smaller knobs (Racing Ralph, Ikons, etc) to larger knobs (Ardent, Ground Control, HD) seem to work with me in SE leaf-covered trails.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,846
    Continental Der Baron front and Mountain King rear. Tire pressure is critical, but they grip awesome to just about everything and roll surprisingly well.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    286
    I agree with a couple others here, Magic Mary up front and Nobby Nic on the back. Cant beat that combo (SW.Pa) Although I have another wheel set with the e-thirteen TRS tires and they work just as well, R compound up FR and + compound on the RR.

    But that MM just instills so much confidence probably my favorite FR tire.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtrider76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Are these the new HD? Anyone have the HD sift front and Speedgrip rear?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I've only used the older snakeskin Pacestar version in back. I ran a SE4 last winter with good results but was nursing a trashed out knee so hard to say how good it was since I wasnt 100%

    Quote Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
    I agree with a couple others here, Magic Mary up front and Nobby Nic on the back. Cant beat that combo (SW.Pa) Although I have another wheel set with the e-thirteen TRS tires and they work just as well, R compound up FR and + compound on the RR.

    But that MM just instills so much confidence probably my favorite FR tire.
    I have a Nobby nic here to try with the Magic mary. It seems to fall somewhere between the HD and MM for tread sizing. I was considering putting it on instead of a HD this season.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

  12. #12
    mtbpete
    Reputation: changingleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,126
    I like the Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic in the leaves and for a lot of other conditions as well. Tires with taller nobs and space between them will pierce the leaves and wet soil the best.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,873
    ^^^ yeah. Wet leaves will slide on wet leaves. Knobs that cut through them are best. IMO, narrower tires are better than wider tires on leaves.
    Do the math.

  14. #14
    dmo
    dmo is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    908
    How about bontrager SE4 or SE5s, or Magic Mary? Especially for front?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtrider76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    How about bontrager SE4 or SE5s, or Magic Mary? Especially for front?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I ran a SE5 ft and SE4 rear last year and just pulling them now. I don't think the SE5 is as good as the MM up front, the SE4 does pretty well though. Also they are ramped pretty good which IMHO might make them harder to punch through leaves.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

  16. #16
    dmo
    dmo is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I ran a SE5 ft and SE4 rear last year and just pulling them now. I don't think the SE5 is as good as the MM up front, the SE4 does pretty well though. Also they are ramped pretty good which IMHO might make them harder to punch through leaves.
    What do you think about MM/HD or rock razor combo?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,006
    Surly Bud and Lou... But you need a bike that fits em.
    I like turtles

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtrider76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    What do you think about MM/HD or rock razor combo?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    MM/HD is a great winter and fall combo!

    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Surly Bud and Lou... But you need a bike that fits em.
    I actually see very few fat bikes on single track in the winter. I know a pile of people that have them too.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rockadile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    256
    I am a fan of the Bontrager XR4 which is essentially the same tread as the SE4.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sethd513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    276
    Im trying 2.6 se5 front and 2.4 se4 rear. Right out of the gate the rear felt like a slick coming from a 2.3 se5 f/r but the se4 is much faster. Id say I lost some traction in the rear but the gain with less rolling resistance seems to be an even trade. I do find the rear almost feels to sit on top of the leafs. I might throw my 2.3 out back once everything drops and the frost gets a little heavier.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Never trust a fart
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,213
    I've used the following.

    Specialized Ground Control front, Fast Trak rear - worked well, but the rear tire liked to slide out

    Specialized The Captain - One of my favorite year round tires. Loved these up front. Leaf cover wasn't any issue.

    Michelin Wild Grip'R and Wild Race'R. This was a decent combo. The Wild Grip'R bit through most leaf cover.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    28
    I am moving my HRII to the back and buying a DHRII 2.3 3c/exo for the front

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,012
    Terrene Chunks are working well for me in the current fall conditions in New England.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I've used the following.

    Specialized Ground Control front, Fast Trak rear - worked well, but the rear tire liked to slide out

    Specialized The Captain - One of my favorite year round tires. Loved these up front. Leaf cover wasn't any issue.

    Michelin Wild Grip'R and Wild Race'R. This was a decent combo. The Wild Grip'R bit through most leaf cover.
    I have that Specialized combo on the used Crave Comp I just bought. The Fast Trak's lack of traction on snow-covered uphills is why I'm currently researching tires...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,647
    Maryland rock and roots, Hans Dampf perfect

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    871
    I've had a few different tires on this wet season, here are my impressions:

    Specialized Ground Control 2.3 - Surprisingly large volume, grips reasonably well on wet roots/rocks, rolls fast, but I find it doesn't brake well when it gets very wet. It's more predictable than other 'trail' tires I've used (e.g. Ardent). I'd only suggest this as a rear if you normally run XC tires and are on XC-type trails. I run this on the back of my SS, which I typically don't ride on super steep or aggressive trails, but have without too much trouble.

    Bontrager XR4 2.4 - I run this on the front of my SS. It's great for the weight, it does surprisingly well again on wet surfaces, but lacks cornering grip of other tires especially when it gets loose. I don't think it has enough tread to bite through wet leaves and surfaces, so I'd keep this one in the back unless it's dry out.

    DHF 2.3 - It's a DHF. It works really well all around, it's reasonably weighted for a winter tire, but it doesn't do that great when it gets muddy out. It'll grip fine on wet roots, rocks, and is obviously suitable for the front, but it'll also depend on your terrain and skill level. Always go with the 3C options.

    DHF 2.5WT - Grips better than the 2.3, heavier, slower, etc. It seems to do better on off camber surfaces than the 2.3 and corner better, but it could be because I run wider rims. Personally, of the 2, I prefer the 2.5.

    DHR2 2.3 - Great all around for the rear, although it isn't that great when it gets muddy, it's predictable and grips all the other surfaces well, especially wet roots and rocks. I find myself searching for roots and rocks in muddy and leafy sections because they provide better traction with this in the back.

    Magic Mary 2.35 - I ran this one in the back. I know it's ridiculous, but I wanted to try it and I got one for $30 new. It's slow, like really really slow, but living in the mountains, I can deal with that if it means I have confidence going downhill, but I can't say it's a big improvement over the DHR2. It does really well in mud, but it gives up traction over the DHR2 on wet roots and rocks, along with not braking as well. I know most run this in the front, but I was somewhat disappointed by the size.

    WTB Vigilante 2.5 3-compound - I recently mounted this one and have found that with current conditions (wet, leafy, muddy), it's the best front I've used. Yea, it's real heavy even in the 'Light' casing, but it's higher volume than both the DHF 2.5WT and MM 2.35. It has wider spaced knobs than both, corners in the wet better than both, and has a higher volume casing than both, so it soaks up surfaces better. I'd say so far it's the best front I've used, but I haven't tried it on real hardpacked surfaces, where the blocky knobs may be a problem.

    Personally, I'm sticking with a Vigilante 2.5 F / DHR2 2.3 R. My frame has limited clearance, though, or I might consider more aggressive options like a DHR2 2.4WT or Judge.

    It'll all depend on your trails and skill level, too. We have a lot of steep terrain that is off camber and tends to stay wet, so I tend to favor control over things like rolling and weight, because it's no good being able to go fast if you are falling off the mountain. In other places I've ridden, it was less of an issue and I could run less aggressive tires.

  27. #27
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,658

    Good post...

    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    I've had a few different tires on this wet season, here are my impressions:

    Specialized Ground Control 2.3 - Surprisingly large volume, grips reasonably well on wet roots/rocks, rolls fast, but I find it doesn't brake well when it gets very wet. It's more predictable than other 'trail' tires I've used (e.g. Ardent). I'd only suggest this as a rear if you normally run XC tires and are on XC-type trails. I run this on the back of my SS, which I typically don't ride on super steep or aggressive trails, but have without too much trouble.

    Bontrager XR4 2.4 - I run this on the front of my SS. It's great for the weight, it does surprisingly well again on wet surfaces, but lacks cornering grip of other tires especially when it gets loose. I don't think it has enough tread to bite through wet leaves and surfaces, so I'd keep this one in the back unless it's dry out.

    DHF 2.3 - It's a DHF. It works really well all around, it's reasonably weighted for a winter tire, but it doesn't do that great when it gets muddy out. It'll grip fine on wet roots, rocks, and is obviously suitable for the front, but it'll also depend on your terrain and skill level. Always go with the 3C options.

    DHF 2.5WT - Grips better than the 2.3, heavier, slower, etc. It seems to do better on off camber surfaces than the 2.3 and corner better, but it could be because I run wider rims. Personally, of the 2, I prefer the 2.5.

    DHR2 2.3 - Great all around for the rear, although it isn't that great when it gets muddy, it's predictable and grips all the other surfaces well, especially wet roots and rocks. I find myself searching for roots and rocks in muddy and leafy sections because they provide better traction with this in the back.

    Magic Mary 2.35 - I ran this one in the back. I know it's ridiculous, but I wanted to try it and I got one for $30 new. It's slow, like really really slow, but living in the mountains, I can deal with that if it means I have confidence going downhill, but I can't say it's a big improvement over the DHR2. It does really well in mud, but it gives up traction over the DHR2 on wet roots and rocks, along with not braking as well. I know most run this in the front, but I was somewhat disappointed by the size.

    WTB Vigilante 2.5 3-compound - I recently mounted this one and have found that with current conditions (wet, leafy, muddy), it's the best front I've used. Yea, it's real heavy even in the 'Light' casing, but it's higher volume than both the DHF 2.5WT and MM 2.35. It has wider spaced knobs than both, corners in the wet better than both, and has a higher volume casing than both, so it soaks up surfaces better. I'd say so far it's the best front I've used, but I haven't tried it on real hardpacked surfaces, where the blocky knobs may be a problem.

    Personally, I'm sticking with a Vigilante 2.5 F / DHR2 2.3 R. My frame has limited clearance, though, or I might consider more aggressive options like a DHR2 2.4WT or Judge.

    It'll all depend on your trails and skill level, too. We have a lot of steep terrain that is off camber and tends to stay wet, so I tend to favor control over things like rolling and weight, because it's no good being able to go fast if you are falling off the mountain. In other places I've ridden, it was less of an issue and I could run less aggressive tires.
    That's some good info.


    East coast riding.

    For most trail riding, year round, I've found the DHF up front to be excellent - regardless of terrain. You can toggle between the 2.3 and 2.5 WT flavors depending on what your style and trails demand. I find I can get away with everything from XC type rides to aggressive AM style and not worry.

    Out back is where much of your RR comes from. The rear tire also determines how much grip you'll get on steep, techy climbs. My local rides/style calls for a tire with a lot of climbing grip, otherwise I'm walking a lot of stuff. So I often run a DHRII. Traveling to my home town, I could get away with a lot less tire, with less knobs. It's very rocky, but also very grippy terrain, dries well, and very pedally/xc-ish riding. I've seen guys riding semi-slicks and doing fine. The DHRII can be fine tuned as it comes in both DC and 3C compounds. The DC if pretty darn good even in wet, and rolls well for the traction it provides. If you need more traction then go with the 3C, but you loose some durability. The 3C seems to roll slower on hardback, but once on rougher, wetter terrain, the RR seems a lot less.

    One tire I've found to be a good all-rounder out back is the Maxxis Forkaster. Rolls well, but has good traction in all but loose over hardback. It's very good on wetter, sloppy trails as it clears muck well.

    The Spec Purgatory is also a good rear tire that rolls ok if you need grip.

    Schwalbe tires - their softer compounds do grip well and a MM up front really clings, but in most cases I find it overkill. Out back, their harder compound tires, do not hook up at all for me. I've yet to try their new Addix out back.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtrider76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Anyone running the Aggressor 2.5 in back in the wet slop we got on the east coast this year? How's it performing? I need something that rolls ok on pavement and still can party in the woods. I avoid straight up muddy terrain but its really wet and leafy right now with slick rocks. I'll be matching it with a Magic mary up front and hoping the 2.5 Maxxis is close to the size of the mary which is gigantic for a 2.35.


    My current SE5/Griffin summer combo is way past due for a swap. The front isn't so bad just worn but the Griffin at half life is just along for the ride at this point. Its drifty and fun on the downs but a chore to go up with due to loss of traction.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OttaCee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    128
    Forekaster - Run these front/rear for now two Fall-Winter-Early Springs and are pretty much perfect for XC riding in New England. Its a much better front tire. Rear can be a bit slow but worth the tradeoffs. Cant tell you how many people ask about these tires since im just gripping while everyone is slipping. Love that you can get a set for $100.

    Even more happier a 29x2.6 version of this tire is available.

  30. #30
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,658
    Agressor in a 2.5

    Yeah - I ran that tire a few times in my PA hometown where there is very little "slick" riding. Mostly grippy rocks. It only comes in a DC in a 2.5 I think, and that combined with the tighter tread patter makes it so-so at best on slick stuff. It's volume is pretty good so you can run the psi a bit lower and that helps. Where I found it fell pretty short of a DHRII is on the steep, slick climbs. The Aggressor would slip out much sooner.

    Forkaster - great all rounder for lighter duty riding like I mentioned. Too bad they don't make a 3C flavor as I'd consider it rear and front for trail riding if they did. Otherwise, with the DC I've only run it out back. On my 29 bike this season I think I'm going to give the Bonti's a try in a SE or XR, 4 in front, 3 out back.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,889
    MD, PA WV and WNC I run a clipped DHR2 in the Front most the time or Shorty and DHR2 rear. 3c on both in the winter. I like the MM but it doesn't last long. As soon as the Trail version of the Assegai is released ill be running that on the front. This season hasn't seen much summer tire riding for me.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtrider76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    MD, PA WV and WNC I run a clipped DHR2 in the Front most the time or Shorty and DHR2 rear. 3c on both in the winter. I like the MM but it doesn't last long. As soon as the Trail version of the Assegai is released ill be running that on the front. This season hasn't seen much summer tire riding for me.
    I saw universal had the DD Assegai listed but no due time and nothing from Maxxis or I'd try it in front. I've done the DHR2 in front, I like it better in front than rear TBH. I'd rock a Shorty up front but I have 2 Magic Marys here.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Agressor in a 2.5

    Yeah - I ran that tire a few times in my PA hometown where there is very little "slick" riding. Mostly grippy rocks. It only comes in a DC in a 2.5 I think, and that combined with the tighter tread patter makes it so-so at best on slick stuff. It's volume is pretty good so you can run the psi a bit lower and that helps. Where I found it fell pretty short of a DHRII is on the steep, slick climbs. The Aggressor would slip out much sooner.

    Forkaster - great all rounder for lighter duty riding like I mentioned. Too bad they don't make a 3C flavor as I'd consider it rear and front for trail riding if they did. Otherwise, with the DC I've only run it out back. On my 29 bike this season I think I'm going to give the Bonti's a try in a SE or XR, 4 in front, 3 out back.
    If the Forkaster was made in 3c it would be a great tire. The Bonti tires aren't very good when things get slick. Great dry tires though.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OttaCee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    If the Forkaster was made in 3c it would be a great tire.
    The new Forekaster in 29x2.6 is available in 120tpi 3C MaxxSpeed EXO

  35. #35
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,658
    Excellent.

    For those looking at the Assegai I've run it on my DH rig. It is on another level in terms of grip, compared to the DHF/R. Its like a MM, but doesn't disintegrate on its first day. In a DH it is also a kevlar bead which drops a fair bit of weight over the DHF/R DH casing. I'm sure it will be a bruiser for trail riding, even in an EXO or DD casing.

  36. #36
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    If the Forkaster was made in 3c it would be a great tire. The Bonti tires aren't very good when things get slick. Great dry tires though.
    Hmmm. Maybe then I should avoid running the XR3 out back. The durometer and tread pattern on the 4 looks better, relatively speaking, for slick trails.

    With the good news on the Forkaster in a 3c maybe I'd just run that front and a DC rear. Will have to check out the Maxxis site.

    I'm running 2 trail bikes this season, one 275 with a burlier build and a 29 with a more xc tilt.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtrider76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    The Bonty stuff I rode the SE versions were softer. I rode the old and new XR4 and the SE4 they SE hooked up better for sure.


    I rode with a fella at Glen park running Assegais front and rear right after they came out and said he loved them.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-13-2016, 08:32 PM
  2. East Coast terrain tires for winter? Need help choosing!
    By acdacd in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-26-2015, 01:36 PM
  3. The CANNINGHAM (east coast flair with west coast get-up)
    By Fillet-brazed in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 06:00 PM
  4. East coast/West coast RE: boxxer
    By BigBill in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 01:20 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 10:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 142

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.