e13 Race carbon vs i9 Trail S alloy?- Mtbr.com
    NedwannaB

e13 Race carbon vs i9 Trail S alloy?

Looks like I can pick up the e13 set for same $$ as a set of i9's. Any reason to not go carbon? The i9's look to be ~1700 grms not sure of the e13's weight. Even if same weight would one be better than the other? Would there be a much noticeable difference in ride characteristics? I'm a 140# rider and they will be going on a ~31# (in stock trim)aluminum 160f/150r Trail/Enduro bike with 2.3/2.5 tire setup.

Thanks in advance.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

e13 Race carbon vs i9 Trail S alloy?

e*Thirteen hubs aren't as good as I9s. Not all carbon is created equal. But e*Thirteen has great customer service in the US.

Carbon feels more rapid and a little more peppy when you get on the power. It's also more precise and quicker with steering. It's stiffer than aluminum, but absorbs trail chatter a little better. Unless they're ENVEs. In which case, its comfort is worse than other carbon wheels and significantly worse than aluminum.

If it were my money, I'd go with the I9 aluminums. And I love carbon anything.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    I have e13 race rims. The lighter 380g version.

They're alright I guess. Feels pretty similar to my Easton arc rims, but they're $480 instead of $60 each.

I wouldn't buy them again, and I ended up putting the arcs back on anyway.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I have e13 race rims. The lighter 380g version.

They're alright I guess. Feels pretty similar to my Easton arc rims, but they're $480 instead of $60 each.

I wouldn't buy them again, and I ended up putting the arcs back on anyway.
    They'd be replacing RF AR30's. Thanks for info.

mtbr member
    The AR's are just slightly heavier ARC's, but an AR30 is a pretty hefty rim either way.

Going to even the i9 wheels, you're knocking off about 100g per rim. The carbon saves you a fairly inconsequential 30g more.

Id go I9. You get very very similar weight, but way better hubs. If you happened to wreck the rim, i9's aluminum is a little less of a sting to replace.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Exactly which E Thirteen Races? E-Thirteen has a few iterations of the Race ie. Race R, SL, EN etc. I have the standard Races which have a 27mm ID and weigh only slightly less than an alloy. The I9 is a much better hub. My current E-13 hub makes an occasional "pop" and it was brand new 6 months ago.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Exactly which E Thirteen Races? E-Thirteen has a few iterations of the Race ie. Race R, SL, EN etc. I have the standard Races which have a 27mm ID and weigh only slightly less than an alloy. The I9 is a much better hub. My current E-13 hub makes an occasional "pop" and it was brand new 6 months ago.
    Which "one" is the $1m question. The plot thickens. Have to chk on this. i9 seems to be getting the nod though....