Durable & Lightweight Rims for 2.8" Tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Durable & Lightweight Rims for 2.8" Tires

Hello! A few months ago, I bought a hardtail that came with this wheelset: https://sun-ringle.com/product/duroc-50/?cat_id=33. After a couple months of casing jumps and riding some rocky trails, a section of the rear rim has caved inwards a couple millimeters and it also bent side to side. Also, at 610g, the rims are quite heavy. After some truing, the wheel looks fine, but I'll be going to Fruita, CO in a month and I want to make sure I have rims that will definitely hold up in that rocky terrain.

So my question is: What rims would you recommend for 2.8" tires that are durable and lightweight. The most I am willing to spend is $300 for two rims (preferably under $250). Also, what spokes would you recommend? I'm fine with the hubs I have.

This place needs an enema
    What is your height and weight? Which bike? Ridden where? Are going to keep casing jumps or have you moved beyond that? Which tires? At what pressures? Tubeless?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    What is your height and weight? Which bike? Ridden where? Are going to keep casing jumps or have you moved beyond that? Which tires? At what pressures? Tubeless?
    1) 6' 140lbs (21 yrs old)
    2) RSD Middle Child https://rsdbikes.com/portfolio/middlechild-cr-mo/
    3) Southeast US. I ride at Blankets Creek the most https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...blankets-creek. Favorite trails there are Van Michael, Dwelling Loop, South Loop and Quehl Holler. I'll also be taking occasional trips to places like Fruita, CO
    4) I can now clear small table tops/gaps but I am still coming short on the bigger ones (10-20 feet). I've only been riding for a couple months
    5) Rear: DHR II. Front: DHF. 2.8"
    6) 14-16 psi. I'll probably start pumping them up to 20psi if I plan on sessioning a jump trail
    7) Yes

mbtr member
    Super cool bike!

You thrashed a rim in a couple months... so you want something lighter?

I don't see much reason to replace both rims.

If i were in your situation i would drop the spoke tensions down to 0, then lie the rim flat and see if it's dorked up. If not, i'd run the tensions back up and double check with a tensiometer. Then i'd get serious about tire pressure and/or run a burlier rear tire. I don't get this is a problem that is best solved by throwing money at it.

This is the problem with plus tires. You can run 14psi, but when you blow through your 'travel' it gets expensive quick... and a more sturdy tire is really heavy.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    OK, so you're bashing and casing jumps, dented a 610g rim, only weigh 140lbs and you want a lighter rim for under $150?? Did I get that right?? Seriously, there's nothing that's going to withstand you casing a 10ft> gap, especially if your tyres pressure is too low, maybe think of upping your pressure if you're going to be jumping.

Also maybe consider that a plus setup, with low pressures, might not be the best setup for you if jumping big jumps is your thing

The only thing I might suggest is to drop down to a 35-40mm internal rim if you're only going to be running 2.8" tyres, but stay in that weight range so you get a stronger rim. Rims that come to mind are the WTB Asym i35 or KOM Tough i35 or 40, e13 TRS+, Spank Oozy Trail 395+, DT Swiss XM521, Velocity Dually45.

Of all of those, the DT Swiss XM521 would drop you some weight and from what I've read are decent rims, but no personal experience. I have built and ridden Dualy45s, Asym i35s and e13 TRS+ and all have taken some good hits without being destroyed, but not casing big jumps, just bashing through stuff and not judging properly and say bashing into a vertical 4" root to solid rim strike.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OK, so you're bashing and casing jumps, dented a 610g rim, only weigh 140lbs and you want a lighter rim for under $150?? Did I get that right?? Seriously, there's nothing that's going to withstand you casing a 10ft> gap, especially if your tyres pressure is too low, maybe think of upping your pressure if you're going to be jumping.

Also maybe consider that a plus setup, with low pressures, might not be the best setup for you if jumping big jumps is your thing

The only thing I might suggest is to drop down to a 35-40mm internal rim if you're only going to be running 2.8" tyres, but stay in that weight range so you get a stronger rim. Rims that come to mind are the WTB Asym i35 or KOM Tough i35 or 40, e13 TRS+, Spank Oozy Trail 395+, DT Swiss XM521, Velocity Dually45.

Of all of those, the DT Swiss XM521 would drop you some weight and from what I've read are decent rims, but no personal experience. I have built and ridden Dualy45s, Asym i35s and e13 TRS+ and all have taken some good hits without being destroyed, but not casing big jumps, just bashing through stuff and not judging properly and say bashing into a vertical 4" root to solid rim strike.
    Thanks for the suggestions. However, most of those rims only go up to i35. I think I'd feel more comfortable running i40s. The Kom Toughs look nice, and I could probably save a bit of weight if I through on some lightweight spokes. I'm also looking at the DT Swiss M582s. They look perfect, but I can't find any reviews on them. Do you know anything about them? Also, is it normal to run different rims in the front and back? I really only need one in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by jtkyber View Post
    is it normal to run different rims in the front and back? I really only need one in the rear.

Your rims don't know what the other one is doing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Alright, so I have narrowed it down to the Spank Oozy 395+ and the WTB KOM Tough i40. I am having a really tough time making a decision.

The 395+ seems to be a better rim if you ignore sizing. Judging by reviews, it's durability and anti burp technology puts it ahead of other rims in it's price range. However, it only goes up to a 35mm internal diameter, which is the minimum ID that is recommended for a 2.8" tire.

The KOM Tough on the other hand is available in i40 but from what I've heard, it isn't as durable as the 395+.

In addition to the small internal diameter, if I were to choose the 395+ I feel like I kinda have to get one for the front along with the rear. I think it would look weird having a rim that's 11mm thinner in the back. Also, it would make the bike slightly front-heavy.

If Spank had an i40 option, the decision would be a no-brainer, but they don't. So what would you guys recommend?

am having a really tough time making a decision.

I run 2.8's on a 35mm front rim and a 29mm rear rim.

I would only go up to 40mm rims if I was running 3.0's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I run 2.8's on a 35mm front rim and a 29mm rear rim.

I would only go up to 40mm rims if I was running 3.0's.
    Ok cool, thanks. Do you ever have problems with burping or get a weird feeling when going over rocks/cornering? In an article, I read that rims that are too thin cause problems like these. Also, what specific rims are you using?

Ok cool, thanks. Do you ever have problems with burping or get a weird feeling when going over rocks/cornering? In an article, I read that rims that are too thin cause problems like these. Also, what specific rims are you using?

You can get that with *any* rim/tire combo if you run pressures too low.

I run Derby rims.