Dual compound vs. 3C compound? Maxxis- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Dual compound vs. 3C compound? Maxxis

I'm looking at dual compound and 3C models of Maxxis High Roller II. They're very close in price so that isn't a concern, just wondering what benefit I'll see from one or the other.

Will be the 29x2.3 Exo versions going on a 5.5" bike.

mtbr member
    The dual compound version is 62a center / 60a shoulder.

The 3C Maxx Terra version is 70a base layer / 50a center / 42a shoulder. it's considerably softer. It will wear faster and roll slower than the dual compound version, but it will have better grip on wet surfaces.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok. How does dual compound rear, 3c front sound?

Chris Bling
    I have always liked Dual or single compound better. Last much longer and you don't have to sacrifice your side knobs to the cornering gods
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I run a 3C HR2 up front and Dual Ardent on the rear. They wear well in this configuration and the performance is great with this setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've heard some horror stories of Ardents wash out when you don't aggressively lean, but I feel like that would be more applicable to the front, no? I've heard the HRII bogs as a rear so I'd be open to something a little less chunky in the rear like an Ardent.

Are the dual compound ones supposed to say "dual compound" anywhere on the tire? I see that the 3C does. I have an HRII on hand that I bought as a "dual compound" but it doesn't say so on the sidewall.

mtbr member
    I run a 3C 2.4 HRII front and 2.4 Ardent (not sure if it's dual or single) rear and it is a decent roller considering the width. The HRII while a bit slow is super grippy. The Ardent is a darn good tire and the less aggressive tread than the HRII allows for some rear tire drifting if needed. It does corner very well and doesn't mind being pushed hard. I run 28 F and 30 R (minimal climbing) and 30 F and 32 R(more climbing more speed) with tubes. I ride mostly wet, loose, soft conditions here in the NW.

mtbr member
    I don't mind running the 3C in the winter as it's definitely stickier, but I find it considerably slower and way too much work climbing compared to the Dual Compound Ardents I have for the summer.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Ok. How does dual compound rear, 3c front sound?
    like a good setup for Downieville

mtbr member
    I've run dual compound rear and 3c front as well. It's a solid setup that I thought actually rolled pretty well given the ridiculous amounts of grip this setup provides.

The 3c is a noticeably softer compound.

The only think I think the HRII lacks is a bit of climbing grip, and it's a pretty heavy tire for epic rides in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    I've run dual compound rear and 3c front as well. It's a solid setup that I thought actually rolled pretty well given the ridiculous amounts of grip this setup provides.

The 3c is a noticeably softer compound.

The only think I think the HRII lacks is a bit of climbing grip, and it's a pretty heavy tire for epic rides in the mountains.
    Ardent rear? I've read almost as many negative comments as positive ones about it as a front... would rather roll the dice on a front tire that gets ALL positive remarks, although it seems like it might make a decent rear tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ended up doing that Ardent rear and it's great. So much faster than the Purgatory it replaced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Are you sure about the dual compound constituents?

Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    The dual compound version is 62a center / 60a shoulder.

The 3C Maxx Terra version is 70a base layer / 50a center / 42a shoulder. it's considerably softer. It will wear faster and roll slower than the dual compound version, but it will have better grip on wet surfaces.
    According to this webpage: https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com....-need-to-know/ the dual compound construction is comprised of 51a/60a - A 51a rubber compound on the side knobs with a 60a rubber on the centre knobs. This looks like official Maxxis documentation. That could mean a tire like the DHRII dual compound would be grippier in turns, but lose that capability more quickly than, say, a single compound DHF (which uses either all 60a or all 70a depending which source you follow). Or could it be the contituents vary depending on the tire's purpose?

mtbr member
    I haven't been employed by Maxxis for 5 years now. It's possible they have changed the compounds used in the dual compound AM tires.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    I haven't been employed by Maxxis for 5 years now. It's possible they have changed the compounds used in the dual compound AM tires.
    I wish you were still because I would beg you for a 2.4 highroller 2 in 29er as well as making the minion ss less square on wider wheels.