DtSwiss 240 EXP - engagement problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

DtSwiss 240 EXP - engagement problem

Hi have a set of new DTswiss 240 EXP - 1.000km up to today.
    Since they turned 500km, the rear hub engagement his giving me problems:
    every once in a while the ratchet did not engage (loose wheel feeling) and suddenly engaged again.
    Recently, when the ratchet does not engage, it just stay loose... I have to stop, disassemble the rear wheel, pull the spring and ratchet out, assemble again and ride...
    Of course I asked for a warranty replacement. Just wanted to know if I am an isolated case or if it is a known issue with the new exp?

This place needs an enema
    Either you didn't reassemble it correctly, or your axle/skewer isn't tight.

Or both.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Dear Mike,
    That was not the case; the bike has already been checked and doubled checked by 2 professional mechanics. It is a problem within the ratchet mechanism itself. Spring system gets somehow stuck and ratchet does not spring out to engage.
    None of them has ever seen such a problem; just wondering if anyone with the new EXP system has had similar problems...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Following.

In the market for a new hub set and was worried about recent changes to DT's system.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    does not sound like you work on things yourself, but you can get on there, you will seer what is hanging up the ratchet gears on spring, there is a lip in there its catching on when freewheeling and its getting cocked off to one side when assembled.

The next option would be spring tension, if nothing is hanging up the ratchet, you might want to stretch the spring so that there is enough tension. Its not a big deal, they offer stiffer springs with the high teeth count ratchets.

Your just needs a little love since we know it works well after putting it back together, I would only be worried if teeth were trashed, which they will be if you dont get this fixed. Nothing worse for this then almost catching and wearing teeth

mtbr member
    May 2020
    You are right, mostly the professional mechanics worked on it as they are far more experienced than I am. Though unfortunaltey I already had to fix this issue on the trails a couple of times last week.

When dissasembling the wheel, we can see the ratchet held back (unengaged); we pull it out by hand and everything comes back to normal... so it seems that between the red ring, the spring and the moving ratchet, something fails every once in a while...

We already tried to stretch the spring - thought it solved it - it didn’t.

I am also worried that these consecutives failed engagements somehow dammaged the surface on both sides of the ratchet. Therefore, I asked for a warranty replacement last Friday.

I am sure that DTSwiss would not release a faulty product... just wondering if “there is anybody out there” with the same issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    so if you witnessed it unengaged, you saw what was hanging it up, maybe you need more chamfer on the ratchet outside edge so it drops into place.

Little dremel work could solve this in a few minutes since it comes a part so easy.

if you can replicate the condition where its hanging up, and take a picture it will be easy to diagnose

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Well, usually as soon the cassette is pulled out, the ratchet “jumps” out. Other times it remains locked in with absolutely no apparent reason: not twisted, uncentered or any other thing.
    If it was an old hub - which it is not, it has 7 weeks - I would change the red ring (don’t know the name), the spring and the moving ratchet for a new set... probably it would solve it. As it is new, of course I am asking for a warranty replacement.

Sorry, I have no picture...

you talked about increasing the chamfer on the outside of the moving ratchet? Is that something that is usually done?! I will not do it for warranty reasons but I am interested to know if that is a thing that is usually done to correct ratchet engagements?

Formerly of Kent
    I've never heard of anyone doing that. It should not be required or necessary if all parts are installed correctly, not damaged and are lubricated sufficiently.

Are you sure that you have ALL of the required pieces? Do you have the red bushing that both of the star ratchets touch?

DtSwiss 240 EXP - engagement problem-240-exp-exploded.png
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Nande View Post

you talked about increasing the chamfer on the outside of the moving ratchet? Is that something that is usually done?!
    it is not normally done. But what you are describing is also far from normal

something is causing your ratchet to bind up, probably because its new and not worn in, that is where i would clean it up, once found. So it may not be the outside teeth, but right now we dont know.

take it a part and clean all parts and then look for where and why its binding. this would take me about 5 minutes to fix. you can take spring out and make sure the ratchet teeth are moving in cassette housing cleanly, i have an idea that maybe your spring is not seating the ratchet level that is applying equal pressure pushing down, nut its just an idea until we know more

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I know some of these springs are directional, but I also have a set that is not, you may be able to turn spring around so that it is seating better. Either way make sure it looks flat where ratchet seats on it

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I've never heard of anyone doing that. It should not be required or necessary if all parts are installed correctly, not damaged and are lubricated sufficiently.

Agreed

""installed correctly"" has me suspicious

these are the most reliable hubs on the market

If the ratchet was dropped by a mechanic it may be oval now and not round and getting stuck on the hub teeth, who knows. OP need to investigate the issue and there should be an obvious problem. I wonder if the red spring retainer is being seated fully into the ratchet as well. OR if its installed backwards. One would have to take off the cassette to make sure its getting seated fully.

my old style with a 60t is bullet proof, love it and its simplicity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    Agreed

""installed correctly"" has me suspicious

these are the most reliable hubs on the market

If the ratchet was dropped by a mechanic it may be oval now and not round and getting stuck on the hub teeth, who knows. OP need to investigate the issue and there should be an obvious problem. I wonder if the red spring retainer is being seated fully into the ratchet as well. OR if its installed backwards. One would have to take off the cassette to make sure its getting seated fully.

my old style with a 60t is bullet proof, love it and its simplicity.
    Sounded like OP got this hub (or wheelset) as a new part. So the first time it happened, it was assembled by factory.

OP: I wouldn't fiddle with this, or dremel or other things. All that may/will void warranty. Just throw that back to DT Swiss.
    If the problem occurred AFTER you or your LBS disassembled the first time (for cleaning greasing etc.), then it maybe an assembly issue by you or your LBS. but if it happened before you /LBS opened it the first time, it is on DT Swiss.

I was curious about how the EXP hubs work out since they only have one spring. I would hope the one spring would be twice the strength of the old two springs.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thank you all for your inputs:
    Le Duke - not 100% sure if I have the red bushing that should touch both ratchets. Will definetly confirm this tomorrow. It would mean that the red bushing could be missing when I got the hub from DTSwiss... doubt that.

Otherwise - yes, it was a brand new part that was installed. First problems appeared before anyone touched it, so whatever it is, it started after 500km and kept getting worse.

Of course it is impossible to say for sure that nobody droped some parts when trying to solve this issue... but anyway the issue appeared before anyone touched it...

Fully agree that DTSwiss hubs are an excellent product: that was why I bought them! Huge disappointment when this started to happen. Will evaluate after sales within the next few days.

Formerly of Kent
    Just pull the cassette off with your hands. There’s no need to pay anyone to do this. This is a home mechanic fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Le Duke, already did it a few times on the trails (unfortunately). I am not home today, so can only check it tomorrow

mtbr member
    Maybe a silly question, but you've mentioned pulling the mechanism and cleaning it - is there any chance it isn't being lubricated properly? (I know the old DT hubs don't really require lubrication of parts other than the ratchet mechanism, but thought it might not hurt to ask)
    Any and all kinds of bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This isn't the most reliable hub. It's a new hub assembly by a reliable manufacturer.
    It's useful to reserve endorsement until it earns a reliable tag.
    Honda replaced the most reliable 4 cylinder K24 engine with a 1.5L turbo that pushes too much gas past the rings to dilute the engine oil. New is different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    This isn't the most reliable hub. It's a new hub assembly by a reliable manufacturer.
    It's useful to reserve endorsement until it earns a reliable tag.
    Honda replaced the most reliable 4 cylinder K24 engine with a 1.5L turbo that pushes too much gas past the rings to dilute the engine oil. New is different.

Extralite Racing Products has been using the so called new DT Swiss design for years and they are using aluminum for the ratchets....And Honda screwed up when the put FI on the 450X a few years ago!!
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Le Duke, the red bushing is in place - so no part is missing.
    Unfortunately now, I shall face the huge problems with delays in delivery that most bike industry is facing.

Will probably find a different solution to bridge the gap...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Redlands, lubrication is OK, has been checked and double checked by a couple of professional bike mechanics.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    OutHouse, as far as I understood, the spring in the new EXP is not conical, so it should not be directional. Nonetheless it is flat where the ratchet is sitting on.

mtbr member
    If the hub is 7 days old the solution is pretty simple. Take it back and have them replace it. There is some sort of manufacturing defect in the hub that is causing the ratchet to bind in place when it is not engaged. My guess is that you have now damaged the ratchet from it slipping (not your fault). Another outside possibility is that the spokes were over tensioned causing the ratchet seat to come out of round. The tension from the spokes can pull the hub in strange directions if something happened during the wheel build.

No matter what, this is not your issue and it should be dealt with by either the wheel manufacturer or DT Swiss

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Hi, just posting to inform that the OP is not the only one with this problem. I bought a new XMC 1501 wheelset with the 240 EXP hubs a couple of months ago, and the rear hub developed the exact same problem after just a few weeks of riding.

Opened the hub, cleaned it and put it back together (two times) but to no avail. Luckily mine was not so bad as to require a teardown during a ride, as usually just a good shake or bounce dislodged the stuck ratchet and it started engaging again. At least for a minute or two.

The wheelset was mail ordered from bike-discount.com, so I returned it to them for service. They sent it to DT Swiss for further repairs. Last week I got the wheel back, and today took it for a test ride. Bad news is that after maybe 45 minutes of riding it is clear that the problem has not gone anywhere. During that time there were multiple occasions when the ratchet would not engage. Most of the times spinning the pedals once or twice would see the ratchet engaging again, but at least once I had to stop and give the bike a bit of a shakedown to make the hub come alive.

Needless to say, I'll be sending the wheel back again, hopefully for a full replacement this time. Luckily I have a spare M1700 rear wheel with a trusty 350 hub that has never given me any issues.