mtbr member
    Jun 2016

DT Swiss 3 Pawl 370 Hub convertible to Star Ratchet

Is the DT Swiss 3 Pawl 370 Hub convertible to the Star Ratchet System? It is the Hub that is stock on the M1900 Spline 22.5.
    Thanks in Advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No. Entirely different mechanisms in different shells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Apparently it can be done: http://waterloocyclingclub.ca/forums...iss-hub-expert

The seal are not good match though. And its probably cheaper to get 350 hub and replace it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    Apparently it can be done: http://waterloocyclingclub.ca/forums...iss-hub-expert

The seal are not good match though. And its probably cheaper to get 350 hub and replace it.
    I don't see how it could be cheaper to replace with new 350 hub. Hub, ~$220, build new wheel, ~$150 = $370, and that's assuming you can reuse the rim and spokes. This guy did it for the price of a new spacer ($10) and, I assume, a new freehub body ($70).

Unfortunately, that's an old post and he's not responding to my query in their forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wu-D View Post
    I don't see how it could be cheaper to replace with new 350 hub. Hub, ~$220, build new wheel, ~$150 = $370, and that's assuming you can reuse the rim and spokes. This guy did it for the price of a new spacer ($10) and, I assume, a new freehub body ($70).

You also have to include 3 calls to DT, 2 trips to the bike shop, a couple hours of assembling, disassembling, head scratching and a failed ride.

~$150 seems like a lot for a wheel rebuild, especially if you tear it down yourself.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You also have to include 3 calls to DT, 2 trips to the bike shop, a couple hours of assembling, disassembling, head scratching and a failed ride.

~$150 seems like a lot for a wheel rebuild, especially if you tear it down yourself.
    I think it would be a DIY job. DT Swiss is not gonna help (already tried), nor is an LBS, I bet. But, it takes less than a minute to take apart a DT Swiss rear hub (field serviceable). Maybe not $150, but >$100 for a wheel build.

Still, might not be worth it, given potential seal problem (?), and lack of support/warranty at that point.

mtbr member
    Damn, I should do hub swaps and gouge the hell out of people too! $$$$$

...kidding. I do hub swaps all the time, its an easy job that goes quickly. Sometimes I dont even bother replacing nipples. Its never let me down. If the hub flanges are even sort of close, it works with the same spokes too.

The freehub is about 50 bucks. The ratchet rings are about 90. The tool to remove the star drive is about 40... that alone exceeds the cost of a 350 hub if you hunt around, and that doesnt include in the inner star drive you'll need too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Ok, true, you need the 54t ratchet for the upgrade, which I already have from my old 350 (unfortunately not boost). Not sure what all the special tools are you're mentioning; swapping in upgraded ratchets is done my hand. Perhaps there's more that needs to be converted that I'm unaware of. If you can swap hubs that easily, you're a better man than me. Never tried it, maybe it's easier than I'm making it out to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

Not to mention finding a place to custom machine a spacer without drawings for a reasonable price and at the end not having the bearings properly sealed. Sounds like an amazingly expensive, poor solution.

For the OP, why not just run the pawl unit until it dies, if ever? In the meantime you could save up and then build a new wheelset with the hubs you want and new, more modern width rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Not to mention finding a place to custom machine a spacer without drawings for a reasonable price and at the end not having the bearings properly sealed. Sounds like an amazingly expensive, poor solution.

For the OP, why not just run the pawl unit until it dies, if ever? In the meantime you could save up and then build a new wheelset with the hubs you want and new, more modern width rims.

Y, I'll probably swap in a new 350 hub when this one dies. I'm just bummed that the poe can't be improved. I got the 54t upgrade on my old 350, then, of course, convinced myself it really made a difference having so many poe. Now I'm having trouble convincing myself that it doesn't make a difference having just the 3-pawl (honestly, seems pretty clunky.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Y, I'll probably swap in a new 350 hub when this one dies. I'm just bummed that the poe can't be improved. I got the 54t upgrade on my old 350, then, of course, convinced myself it really made a difference having so many poe. Now I'm having trouble convincing myself that it doesn't make a difference having just the 3-pawl (honestly, seems pretty clunky.)
    It looks like the M1900 hub is 24 poe. Really not bad. I have hubs with 36 poe and 72 poe and never notice any difference in climbing. Some people are really sensitive to the difference, mostly people climbing rocky sections in low gears that need to ratchet the cranks to clear a section.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Ok, guess I could have done this before all this discussion, but, I compared the interiors of my m1900 and 350 hubs - significant difference in the teeth. Won't be doing any conversion. I really don't know how that guy did it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It looks like the M1900 hub is 24 poe. Really not bad. I have hubs with 36 poe and 72 poe and never notice any difference in climbing. Some people are really sensitive to the difference, mostly people climbing rocky sections in low gears that need to ratchet the cranks to clear a section.

That's me, rocky climbs. And, with the lower BB I'm running now, I have to place the cranks in specific positions more, and (think) I notice it when reengaging. But then, I'm pretty good at convincing myself of things...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for all the replies. You guys are very knowledgable.

Thats what I am going to do. My original post stemmed from upgrading the rims to XM481's and getting a better POE. I thought if could upgrade to a ratchet system with I could save some money and get a sweet wheel.

Unfortunately, I was eliminated from both of my FF leagues so the wheel build will have to wait till I save up in the spring! Thinking XM481's or something similar, 29/30MM Internal Width with either 350's or Hope's.

Cant believe you guys found an article converting 370's to the ratchet...I searched and searched!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderofPA View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. You guys are very knowledgable.

Thats what I am going to do. My original post stemmed from upgrading the rims to XM481's and getting a better POE. I thought if could upgrade to a ratchet system with I could save some money and get a sweet wheel.

Unfortunately, I was eliminated from both of my FF leagues so the wheel build will have to wait till I save up in the spring! Thinking XM481's or something similar, 29/30MM Internal Width with either 350's or Hope's.

Cant believe you guys found an article converting 370's to the ratchet...I searched and searched!!
    Sorry, I may have hijacked your thread. But, I'm glad you got your answer.

mtbr member
    Ok, true, you need the 54t ratchet for the upgrade, which I already have from my old 350 (unfortunately not boost). Not sure what all the special tools are you're mentioning; swapping in upgraded ratchets is done my hand. Perhaps there's more that needs to be converted that I'm unaware of. If you can swap hubs that easily, you're a better man than me. Never tried it, maybe it's easier than I'm making it out to be.
    I built wheels as a small business for some time, but im not that special! I bet if you gave it a shot, you could easily swap your hub. Its pretty fun actually, and rewarding to ride what you put together.

Truing takes some practice, but worst case you can drop it off at your LBS and have them true it for 20 bucks after you swap it over. Its pretty straight forward!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here is a list of DT Swiss spare parts: Części serwisowe

You must replace the ring nut (HCDXXX00N6137S) with different one (HXDXXX00N1131S). You need one tool (HXTXXX00N5266S) to get first one off and another one (HXTXXX00N5027S) to get new ring in. If you are lucky your local shop has the tools - you really don't need those tools often.

But the the spacer is not in the list of spare parts, so that's a problem.

BTW - if you just swap the hub you might be able to sell the old hub. If you do the hack, you end up with bunch of loose parts that are much harder to sell.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    This is how to do it
    https://youtu.be/e_XpRZCLTX4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krumme View Post
    This is how to do it
    https://youtu.be/e_XpRZCLTX4
    Thanks for sharing this!
    http://www.mountainbikeSF.com - Guided Mountain Biking in the San Francisco Bay Area