mtbr member

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification

After stripping down recently a front DT Swiss 240 Centerlock and few DT 350's I've noticed they are not the same quality, many questions have brought up ever since . As with the cheap pawl-version hubs made by DT and licensed for Bontrager, Roval, Syncros... all bearings in DT range seems to be very diferent:

180's: Ceramics
    240's: Japan made, stainless or 52100??? The seal is different (black facing inwards ease smoothness while red is facing out with better protection apparently).
    350's: almost convinced they are Taiwan made with similar outer and inner seals. 52100 chromoly.
    370's-pawls: low quality bearings I don´t even bother to research.

240's come with seals engraved with Japan made writtings as I show you in the next pictures. The version I came across says 6903 but they are actually MR18307 (18x30x7mm). They have extreme black hardcoated bevels (pressfitted automatically by machinery at the factory??).

What's their maker?? EZO bearings? NSK?? SKF Japan??? It's a big mistery for me working many years as a wheelbuilder with this brand. I'd like to get these bearings from the factory in large numbers (2000 pcs/year).

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180316_175347.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180316_175740.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180311_174025_hht.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180316_180405.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180316_180311.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    Subscribed.

The bearings in all of my 240s are fantastic. I know at some point they’ll wear out. Would like to replace with the same as original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Just replaced the bearings in my rear 350 hub. Went with Enduro ABEC5's. hHopefully they last longer than the originals did.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Formerly of Kent

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification

Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Just replaced the bearings in my rear 350 hub. Went with Enduro ABEC5's. hHopefully they last longer than the originals did.
    Enduro makes a much lower quality product than something like EZO, NSK, SKF, NTN , etc. Companies that sell bearings for heavy use in other industries.

The only “good” Enduro product I’ve used is their XD-15 angular contact BB. Their wheel bearings are marginal at best.

https://youtu.be/E-FqWpi5n8Y

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Pretty shocking that a more expensive product by the same manufacturer would be higher quality. I wonder how often this is the case?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Pretty shocking that a more expensive product by the same manufacturer would be higher quality. I wonder how often this is the case?
    ***deleted***

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    On the seals it says tpi, that’s the manufacturer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Enduro makes a much lower quality product than something like EZO, NSK, SKF, NTN , etc. Companies that sell bearings for heavy use in other industries.

The only “good” Enduro product I’ve used is their XD-15 angular contact BB. Their wheel bearings are marginal at best.

https://youtu.be/E-FqWpi5n8Y

So happy you share my point of view regarding Enduro ABEC-5 quality . YOu can´t compare with massive Japanese companies.

Last year I had the opportunity to import EZO Bearing to Europe. They are chromoly 52100. So much better and SO MUCH CHEAPER.

I just simply want to get a bit better bearing than EZO and fixed my eyes at the best bearing-wise money I know. the one that comes in the DT 240 (at the French dealer is 6€) so I guess directly from the factory would be 3€.

Checked TPI bearing company!!!--> AST in America import them. It's certainly interesting for me because I get also EZO bearing from AST in the States. We will contact them to try to get LLB units.

I did my own research thru our European DT Swiss old codes for spares and it appears to be IJK bearing company!!! Bingo!!!!

Could it be that they use both IJK and TPI manufacturers???

It seems that IJK is part of a bigger group of companies called International Bearing

https://www.intbearing.com/

It's getting quite interesting to find out more about these bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Anecdotal testimony, bearings on my 1700 DT wheelset (I think 350 grade hubs) were not very good. Freehub bearing went bad on my second ride, first in heavy rain. Front bearings are rough now, but I've been using them for a few years now.

And yeah, I'm not very thrilled with Enduro stuff. Canecreek Headset on that same bike went bad/rusty, I replaced with Enduros, which very quickly also went rusty

mtbr member
    The whole reason I spend the extra jingo for 240's over 350's. Also the reason I chuckle at all the younger riders going for the "bling" colors and kewlness factor of I9's with their garbage Enduro bearings... tho I will admit to having drank that koolaid at one time. Older and wiser now...

HAVE FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    How long was that? I've got about 4,000 miles on mine and the bearings still feel perfect.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    How long was that? I've got about 4,000 miles on mine and the bearings still feel perfect.
    Less than 2000 miles. It was mainly the drive side hub bearing. All the other bearings were fine. I pulled the old ones apart cleaned and greased still slightly rough. Keeping for a backup in an emergency case.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Wanna ride bikes?
    Subscribed
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Coming back to confirm some facts.

DT 350's (no matter how strange is the model version fatbike-road...) they all come with TPI taiwanese bearings in both freehub-hubshells.

DT 240's on the contrary have been equipped with IJK japanese units. Still don´t know if they are stainless or chromoly.

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180709_190550.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180711_203407.jpg

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Is there any video how to remove bearings from FW 350?
    There is actualy no any place between bearing's inner and axle, so - how to take it out??
    OK

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandoj View Post
    Coming back to confirm some facts.

DT 350's (no matter how strange is the model version fatbike-road...) they all come with TPI taiwanese bearings in both freehub-hubshells.

DT 240's on the contrary have been equipped with IJK japanese units. Still don´t know if they are stainless or chromoly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180709_190550.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	1207692

Name:	IMG_20180711_203407.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	1207693
    240 are stainless

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    There are videos on youtube i recall. There is one bearing which is extremely difficult which i left alone. Its been a while. Ppl sell tools on ebay for this relatively cheap

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The S in DT 240S stands for stainless steel bearings.

mtbr member
    Enduro bearings that I installed are rough already. Will have to find a better manufacturer for next replacement. Any thoughts?
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Formerly of Kent
    Enduro bearings that I installed are rough already. Will have to find a better manufacturer for next replacement. Any thoughts?
    EZO, NTN, FA.G, NSK, etc.

Enduro makes some cool products, but their normal wheel bearings are not something I’d put in a wheel I owned.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I agree with you G man, I have 240 hubs that have easily 3-4000 miles on them that have been through many PNW winters. That is impressive. I also have a few sets of 350's and they hold up pretty good but no where near as long as the 240's. I have tried King, Hope, Hadley ect. years ago and had trouble with the bearings going bad, getting contaminated ect. SUBSCRIBED

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The difference between the 240 and 350 is just the bearings and slightly lighter hub body right?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    The difference between the 240 and 350 is just the bearings and slightly lighter hub body right?

The 350 hub body is also made in Asia vs. the 240 hub body made in house from what I read. I have had 350's for about two years and the bearings are still silky.
    I stay away from any Enduro bearings. They are all advertising hype. I have had them go bad very quickly in frames, bottom brackets, and wheels. It's sad that they come standard in so many applications.
    One of my riding buddies is a bearing saleman. He always recommends NSK stainless bearings. I use them anytime that I need a new bearing. They aren't cheap, but they are well worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had a local shop change out the bearings on my DT 240s hubs. Didn't realize until after they were finished that they used Enduro bearings. Well, $8 bearings certainly kept the cost down. But they now spin like they have $8 bearings in them. ****ing LBS.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    DT hubs are the most difficult hubs I've ever changed bearings on. They're a nightmare. Do it once, with the best bearings you can possibly find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Never heard a complaint of the DT 240 bearing and lots of praise for them so I used the good DT 240 6902 bearings (Japan made) to replace my DT 350 bearings (Taiwan made). My LBS also had Enduro bearing for it but I wouldn't let em use them. Japanese made DT 240 bearings, $13.60 ea, are to inexpensive (IMHO) to cheap out another $16 for cheaper bearings.

The DT 240 brearings are a common upgrade for the 350.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What retail source offers the OEM 240s bearings at $13.60? That is quite a bit less than I have seen Japanese made stainless bearings offered in low quantities.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here's where I got mine a couple months ago.

https://www.bikeparts.com/BPC424492/...s-6902-bearing

I thought I read some saying 6903, but I laid eyes on mine before ordering to know I had 6902. My 350 front hub in only about 7 months old.

mtbr member
    Quick question... Full service of 350 hubs needs a total of 4 6902 bearings?
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Quote Originally Posted by cryde View Post
    Quick question... Full service of 350 hubs needs a total of 4 6902 bearings?
    yes.

How are you going to remove bearings from FW 350?
    OK

mtbr member

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ Those Wheels Manufacturing bearing extractors will work fine for most applications, but if you have a blind application where you do not have access to the other side such as some pivot bearings, these will not work. For those you will need a blind bearing puller.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What size bearings in the driver bodies? I'm planning to replace mine with EZO.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Cool, thanks. I know DT has a lot of skus but it sure would be nice if they published labeled exploded diagrams like everyone else. Yes, I really should take it apart and look but it's much easier to only get dirty once.

If it helps anyone here are some good prices on 6902:

EZO 6902RU $10/pair plus very cheap shipping, I haven't ordered yet but plan to:
    https://porkchopbmx.com/ezo-hub-seal...in-japan-pair/

DT Swiss SS 6902RS $20/pair free shipping, coming from the same town as DT's warehouse...:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-Swiss-69...0PG8:rk:2:pf:0

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
    Cool, thanks. I know DT has a lot of skus but it sure would be nice if they published labeled exploded diagrams like everyone else. Yes, I really should take it apart and look but it's much easier to only get dirty once.

If it helps anyone here are some good prices on 6902:

EZO 6902RU $10/pair plus very cheap shipping, I haven't ordered yet but plan to:
    https://porkchopbmx.com/ezo-hub-seal...in-japan-pair/

DT Swiss SS 6902RS $20/pair free shipping, coming from the same town as DT's warehouse...:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-Swiss-69...0PG8:rk:2:pf:0
    Huh? They DO publish diagrams...

https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net...WEB_EN_001.pdf

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/support/manuals/

Death from Below.

LE Reporter
    It depends. There are three sizes, i.e.:

6902 = 15/28 x 7 mm
    6802 = 15/24 x 5 mm
    6702 = 15/20 x 4 mm

If anyone doesn't believe, see pictures:

Tool Time mit dem Reverend: DT Swiss Naben auf dem OP-Tisch (#HüGIwillneverdie) | Laktatexpress

LE Reporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    The S in DT 240S stands for stainless steel bearings.
    Well, I wish I knew precisely, but it seems not all 240s come with stainless steel bearings. Seen some rusty (original) ball bearings, possibly that was OEM models with some "cost-saving" specs?

Also not sure what is the difference of the ball bearings with the blue seal (other side black seal) vs. the red/brown seal (other side black). Though the blue seal might indicate stainless steel, but not sure anymore. To add to the confusion, ball bearings in some older hubs came with bearings both seals black.

The mystery continues...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Huh? They DO publish diagrams...

https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net...WEB_EN_001.pdf

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/support/manuals/

The key word there was labeled. They say things like part 2 - ball bearing but don't specify the size or even their product number.

This is my favorite part of the manual:
    5 Spare Parts
    Due to the high amount of different hub versions, it does not make sense to list all different spare parts. Forspare parts, please contact your dealer or your local service center. To clearly identify the hub and its parts,every hub has a code lasered on the hub shell.

Magically Delicious
    The bearing information is on the bearing seal.

Take a look at yours and see what you have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Like I said, it is a "nice to have," I'm just being lazy. Much easier when preventative ordering or ahead for winter.

Formerly of Kent
    The key word there was labeled. They say things like part 2 - ball bearing but don't specify the size or even their product number.

This is my favorite part of the manual:
    5 Spare Parts
    Due to the high amount of different hub versions, it does not make sense to list all different spare parts. Forspare parts, please contact your dealer or your local service center. To clearly identify the hub and its parts,every hub has a code lasered on the hub shell.
    Call me crazy, but it’s not a difficult task to pull an end cap off to read the bearing size as marked on the bearing seal.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You're crazy. Thats crazy talk.

But in all seriousness, it takes a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You're right. In fact, I think they've made it too easy on us. We should have to punch them out and measure them, that's what real internet forum cool guys do.

Magically Delicious

Pretty simple...

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-20170831_165142.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    You're right. In fact, I think they've made it too easy on us. We should have to punch them out and measure them, that's what real internet forum cool guys do.
    Punch them out? No. Remove end cap.

It takes 3 seconds.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    He was just kidding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post

Name:	20170831_165142.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	1222290
    For the life of me I can't figure how people do this, I've tried it many times on my 240 and nothing happens.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Enduro doesn't 'make' bearings - they just rebuy cheap Chinese garbage and resell it. Same crap happens in the motorcycle industry with Moose or "All-Balls" bearings. Relabeled low quality garbage.

Find the bearing number, and search for them on eBay. 6902-2RS or 6902-2NSE. 2RS and 2NSE denote seals on both sides of the bearing... 2RS is more the industry standard, and 2NSE is specific to Nachi, a Japanese bearing maker. They make good stuff, too.

Bearing number, seal suffix, and Japan. Google/eBay search for those, and you'll be off to the races.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Speireag View Post
    Enduro doesn't 'make' bearings - they just rebuy cheap Chinese garbage and resell it. Relabeled low quality garbage.

Find the bearing number, and search for them on eBay.
    Well...everyone knows that FleaBay has never been known to sell Chinese knockoff, counterfeit name branded items. The bearing industry is no different and it has been well documented.

In the United States, the Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement are cracking down on counterfeit products, making 23,140 seizures of counterfeit goods worth approximately $1.2 billion in 2014. In 2013, 57 seizures included counterfeit SKF bearings, 30 of which SKF was able to attribute an estimated MSRP of $2.3 million. China was the source for nearly half of those counterfeit seizures. In 2014, there were 32 seizures in the U.S. containing counterfeit SKF branded bearings, 22 of which SKF was able to attribute an estimated MSRP of $850,000.
    This is only one of many documented bearing knockoff seizures and counterfeit operations. Every major bearing manufacturer has been involved is this scenario on a global level.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    For the life of me I can't figure how people do this, I've tried it many times on my 240 and nothing happens.
    Same.

But, my Knipex pliers do the job. Takes longer to set them to the desired width than to pull the end cap off.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Sure - then go to a proper bearing supply house, and buy them that way.

The point is, these are standard bearing sizes, and good bearings ARE available from known good manufacturers. There are a number of good reliable suppliers on eBay if you hunt them down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Looks like a 350 end cap with the stupid retainer ring. I put my end cap in shaft clamps and yank.

Magically Delicious
    Just partially place your thru axle in the cap, but deep enough to contact the bearings and pop it off.

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-20170831_165032.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-20170831_165110.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-20170831_165142.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had been trying to understand the diffs between the 350 and 240 hubs so this thread was helpful.

Initially i had toyed with just getting 350 and swapping out new/better bearings but when i started getting quotes for wheelsets from chinese vendors i found they are selling 240s for a relatively modest premium over 350s. In fact, I found the cheapest price on 240s at a German site and couldnt make the math work to buy ala carte and build myself.

Getting the hubs thru the chinese company as part of a complete wheelset build resulted in an insanely low price for the wheelset such that even factoring in shipping i couldnt build them for this price. The company i went with was EIE btw, they seemed to be the lowest priced on the various quotes involving a 240 hub wheelset.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post

Getting the hubs thru the chinese company as part of a complete wheelset build resulted in an insanely low price for the wheelset such that even factoring in shipping i couldnt build them for this price.
    How did you ensure that you're not getting some Chinese knock-off for that "insanely low price"? That's a RED flag for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    How did you ensure that you're not getting some Chinese knock-off for that "insanely low price"? That's a RED flag for me.
    I guess the question is how do you ensure the same thing when you’re dealing with one of the German sites, or even your local bike store? What I do is find some people who reviewed the merchant before and get some feedback including that they’re not using counterfeit parts. There are numerous satisfied customers for all of the Chinese merchants that I’ve been reaching out to... including transactions involving these hubs at razor thin margins above wholesale cost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    I had been trying to understand the diffs between the 350 and 240 hubs so this thread was helpful.

Initially i had toyed with just getting 350 and swapping out new/better bearings but when i started getting quotes for wheelsets from chinese vendors i found they are selling 240s for a relatively modest premium over 350s. In fact, I found the cheapest price on 240s at a German site and couldnt make the math work to buy ala carte and build myself.

Getting the hubs thru the chinese company as part of a complete wheelset build resulted in an insanely low price for the wheelset such that even factoring in shipping i couldnt build them for this price. The company i went with was EIE btw, they seemed to be the lowest priced on the various quotes involving a 240 hub wheelset.
    I'm wondering when the Chinese cf wheel companies are going to step up and start offering a lifetime warranty on their rims. One or two years just don't cut it nowadays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How can they offer a lifetime warranty when their prices are already so low?

Barely in control
    Yeah, these are the same prices as good aluminum rims. All I need is a 90 day warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How do Phil Wood bearings compare to Ezo or Enduro . The Phils are slightly more expensive than the Ezo, but the Enduro are 1/2 the price of either.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourendo View Post
    How do Phil Wood bearings compare to Ezo or Enduro . The Phils are slightly more expensive than the Ezo, but the Enduro are 1/2 the price of either.
    You get what you pay for.

Death from Below.