DT Swiss 1501 Spline Wheelset 27.5 25mm XM vs EX vesrions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DT Swiss 1501 Spline Wheelset 27.5 25mm XM vs EX vesrions

Hello!

I am using DT Swiss EX 1501 Spline Wheelset 27.5 25mm - really impressed with its rigity.

How would a lighter XM version compare in terms of flex and strenth?

I am using these wheels on Transition Scout and have an idia of placing them on a longer travel bike and buy a little lighter wheelset for a Scout.

I do a lot of jumping though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd be looking at the 40mm XM not so much for weight savings but for rim width and some wide and Plus tire performance options.

mtbr member
    I am comparing wheelsets of the same width only, 25mm it is.

See absolutely no sense in rims wider than 25-27mm with normal 2.2-2.5 tires.
    And see even less sense in running bigger tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You're sensible for sure.
    Until you get some time on wides that is.
    But it's your ride.
    Are 27.5+ wheels and tyres better than 29ers? - BikeRadar USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    But it's your ride.
    That article is gravity biased : "To see if plus tires work in the real world, I set out to simulate typical trail/enduro riding with five very different stages, all mostly downhill"

You are a passionate proponent of wide rims but you have to understand there are experienced riders that are not interested in going wide. What may work for you may not be ideal for others. Personally, I don't think wide is a master of all especially on XC trails with mild technical climbing. Not everyone is hitting rutted out, hi speed choppy, bermed trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTIgor View Post
    Hello!

I am using DT Swiss EX 1501 Spline Wheelset 27.5 25mm - really impressed with its rigity.

I am using these wheels on Transition Scout and have an idia of placing them on a longer travel bike and buy a little lighter wheelset for a Scout.

I do a lot of jumping though.
    EX:Weight per set: 1697 g vs XM:Weight per set: 1577 g. Personally, I doubt I could tell the difference other than a lighter wallet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    But it's your ride.
    OK, I`ll make it clear (despite it is off topic actually).
    I certainly believe wide tires/rims combo add grip/traction. But I don`t need any
    Besides you don`t see those on EWS... there are reasons for this.
    1. If you ride aggressively you just cannot go super low pressure because of constant g-outs and hard hits. I just went from 21 to 25mm rims and the difference is huge in how the tire sits and how it resists burp. But it still burps with low pressure!
    2. These tires are simply fragile. I don`t like super thin and light tires.
    3. They feel vague.
    4. For a competent rider there is absolutely no real need for added grip and traditional tire sizes give just the best compromise of grip/weight/durability/feel.
    5. +tires benefit only in certain terrain and add too much compromise in other situations.

This might change with some new tire technology though.

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    EX:Weight per set: 1697 g vs XM:Weight per set: 1577 g. Personally, I doubt I could tell the difference other than a lighter wallet.
    Weight like this on the wheel might be noticeable but only marginally, you are right.
    The thing is I don't want a "lighter" wheel, was thinking of one more wheel set just to have two ready to ride bikes and to have a spare one in case of failure. So why not go a little lighter if the little bike rarely sees really rough and super high speed stuff.
    But probably should indeed go EX if it concerns me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree that tires and the way they perform on different rim widths are terrain specific. With more tires coming out pretty often the tuning possibilities of how you mix tire profile/knob height, rim width and tire pressure gets us more options than can be dealt with. I've had good luck on what are now only medium width rims. If you're topping out your performance enough on what you're running don't change until you get bored.

For XC-
    XCO World Cup courses have some technical down segments and corners where at least 30mm id rims may help performance when running 2.2-2.35 faster rolling low knob tires. I've seen a Trek rider running what looks like their carbon Kovee rims with 29mm id. 1390g. These seem light enough for even lightly technical courses. But, again the terrain dictates and these are tuning options.

Live Free & Ride
    I've been running the XM 481 29er up front with a Magic Mary tire (2.35) and have no regrets going wider with the rim and tire combo. Also just picked up an E1700 Spline 2 for the rear and thats a 25mm inner rim. Should be a great compliment to the front and I was 1st looking to run a Breakout 2.5 tire on the rear. This is an XC/Trail bike that I ride hard over all different conditons here in NH, VT and Maine. Previously ran a carbon i30 in the rear with a 2.8 Nobby Nic and even at 20 psi, the tire just squirmed too much under hard pedal and fast cornering. Can't wait to try out the slightly smaller setup in the rear for better control and still plenty of grip!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/