DT 370 freehub replacement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

DT 370 freehub replacement

Current freehub is stripped at the end and it needs to be replaced (370 boost) I am currently running a sunrace 10spd but in the near future I will be switching to a sunrace 12spd setup . My questionn is which freehub do I need to be able to run this 10spd and that will also allow me to run a 12spd later on? Or do I need a different FH when I switch to 12spd? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbpete
    Same freehub. You just need the 1.85mm spacer when using a 10 spd mtb cassette.

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/04...-from-sunrace/

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Same freehub. You just need the 1.85mm spacer when using a 10 spd mtb cassette.

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/04...-from-sunrace/
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can take this opportunity to change to ratchets.

Find a shop with the two different tools for your one time use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post

Does that upgrade require a different FH?

Short-Change-Hero

Yeah finding the shop with the two specific tools is key as next to the freehub and star kit those are the next most expensive parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassballer150 View Post
    No need to change your front hub. But I'd go with the 36t ratchets. And you need the dt grease for the ratchets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassballer150 View Post

Yes you need a Star Ratchet freehub. The Prawl hub won't work.

Short-Change-Hero
    No need to change your front hub. But I'd go with the 36t ratchets. And you need the dt grease for the ratchets.
    Think he means FreeHub not front hub. It will require the appropriate freehub for the Ratchet system, not the pawl system.

Agree with going with the 36t at least, but the cost difference between the 36 and 54 is pretty minimal (think last I looked it was like $20) so might as well go big. And yes, get their special grease, can't remember if it comes with the hub or the ratchet kit but does come with one or the other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I ended up just ordering anew freehub, I think I rather get a new rear wheel instead of investing more money into my current set . It’s a xm 551 with a 370.. thanks for all the great info I will be upgrading for sure the cassette soon tho

Short-Change-Hero

Bumping this as I will be receiving the last couple parts later this week and the upgrade will commence. Was able to find the special DT Swiss tools on ebay for quite a bit cheaper, not DT Swiss branded but should work. While I have found the 3-pawl to be nice, the engagement between that and the star ratchet is quite different. Couple times on a recent ride where I went to ratchet and get over tech I had to put a foot down because the change in engagement is severe enough going from the star 36t to the 3-pawl 24t.

And honestly, talking on another thread about the upgrade something made sense, you don't absolutely need the star ratchet socket as you will be effectively tightening the drive ring every time you pedal. The convenience of the tool is that it makes installation easier.

Once I am done, I am happy to offer up the tools to anyone that would like to borrow. Just would ask that you pay shipping both ways and give me a tracking number when you return.

Short-Change-Hero
    Another bump on this one..
    Purchased found the specialized tools for the 3-pawl and Star Ratchet drive rings for cheap on ebay. Finally got everything, including time, yesterday to try the conversion only to find that the 3-Pawl tool that I purchased from seller Sellution Components on eBay did not work. Not sure if the tool is not completely machined properly or what but it is approximately 1.5mm too large and thus will not go into the ring. Checked the Star Ratchet tool and that fit perfectly. So sending the 3-pawl tool back and had to purchase a "real" DT Swiss tool for almost 3x the price, didn't want to mess with another possible dud.

The one the I purchased is from the linked seller in the video (Bell's Bike Shop) and hopefully I will get it soon. For now the pawl system is ok, but have already slipped off the pedals a couple times trying to find the engagement point while ratcheting in technical terrain.

Note that this will be happening on a stock DT Swiss M1900 Spline 30 wheelset. When I go to do the conversion I will take some pics.

Land of the 230+
    Nice, good luck. Sorry to hear the first tool didnt fit. I was considering doing this a while back, but figured in the last year I've only used my 29er wheelset exactly once, so it wasn't worth the expense. Hope the next one works for you as advertised.

I seem to recall an issue with the freehub seal not being a perfect match, have you looked into this?

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Nice, good luck. Sorry to hear the first tool didnt fit. I was considering doing this a while back, but figured in the last year I've only used my 29er wheelset exactly once, so it wasn't worth the expense. Hope the next one works for you as advertised.

I seem to recall an issue with the freehub seal not being a perfect match, have you looked into this?
    I could see that being an issue when converting from XD to Shimano or vice versa, but from the looks of the video it is just a seal that pops on the same hub body (keeping shimano for mine). Outside of that I have not seen/read anything that would state there were seal problems.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    I could see that being an issue when converting from XD to Shimano or vice versa, but from the looks of the video it is just a seal that pops on the same hub body (keeping shimano for mine). Outside of that I have not seen/read anything that would state there were seal problems.
    The first reference to the seal was mentioned in the 2017 thread about doing teh same thing here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...l#post13463204

Unfortunately that link is long since dead. After a bit of sleuthing based on the link keywords, I found this archive:

"La Pistolera Negra" or: "how I accidentally became a DT Swiss hub expert" – Waterloo Cycling Club

The pertinent info was the response he got from DT swiss:
    This is the reply I got:

Hey Christian,

Congratulations, You’re the first non DT Swiss person to ask that question.

Yes those parts will fit. The problem is with the hub shell seal. It doesn’t fit very well.

Cheers,
    DT Swiss Support

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    The first reference to the seal was mentioned in the 2017 thread about doing teh same thing here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...l#post13463204

Unfortunately that link is long since dead. After a bit of sleuthing based on the link keywords, I found this archive:

"La Pistolera Negra" or: "how I accidentally became a DT Swiss hub expert" – Waterloo Cycling Club

The pertinent info was the response he got from DT swiss:
    Ah ok... I wonder if by "doesn't fit very well" they simply mean that it is outside of their normal QC/QA parameters. Doesn't say that it does not fit, just may be a little loose or not make as tight a seal as a stock one would. I don't have any major water crossings or anything like that where I ride, which is where I could see something like the seal not fitting as well causing issues. I also put enough miles on my bike that I normally clean and regrease the hub every few weeks.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... and the saga continues...
    Returned the part from the Ebay seller without issue, got new "official" DT Swiss part order on 5/8. Called shop that I purchased from and asked them to expedite shipping, they did with USPS Priority Mail which would have been 2 business day to me. Awesome AWESOME shop Bell's Bike Shop in PA. They get it out same day, get tracking number and shows the next morning (5/9) "package received, awaiting processing".

Said that until the afternoon of the 10th when I opened a research ticket with USPS. No response all weekend. Monday nothing, Tuesday nothing, send in another request and have been talking with the shop the entire time as I am now sure that it is lost in the mail somewhere. They are awesome, refund the expedited shipping cost, start investigation on their end on Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon we both get update that it is suddenly moving through the processing now.... WTF?! and ends up getting here yesterday.

In the meantime since I was pretty sure that the package had been lost in the mail (this is the third instance with East Coast USPS distribution facilities I have had the EXACT same issue happen in as many months) I ordered one from WWC since they are just over the hill in CA. So now I got that one coming that I am just going to have to return (should be here today).

So last night I get the tool from Bell's Bike Shop, check it and its perfect!!! YEAH, go to softball, come back home late and go to start the swap only to proceed to break my BENCH VISE!! Literally the "forged" (HF pos) body of the vise actually snaps in half so it will not hold on to the tool.. *^*$&@#(&% Lots and lots of cussing emanating from my garage as I now have to wait to see if I can borrow my neighbors vise to pop this damn ring (which seems to be REALLY on there after over 100miles).

**sigh** Apparently the universe does not want me to have this so easily!

Short-Change-Hero
    So got everything taken care of on Thursday last week using the neighbors big bench vise. A good, sturdy vise is definitely needed as it took a good amount of force to pop the 3-pawl drive ring off. But once it did, the change over was literally less than 20 minutes.

The comment earlier about the "seal not being great" is somewhat true. Swapping the one from the 3-pawl hub to the new hub body was somewhat loose and would fall off fairly easily if you are not careful. I took a small dab of blue ParkTools grease and put around the edge of the ring, just enough to but a very light coat on it to hold in place. This worked perfectly.

Rode 17 miles on Friday and had zero issues with everything. Well worth the money!

Land of the 230+
    Awesome! Great to hear it works well!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do you think the enduro seal for the 240/350 would fit on the 370?

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbx86 View Post
    Do you think the enduro seal for the 240/350 would fit on the 370?
    The enduro seal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not sure if i have enough posts to post links yet but enduro bearing seals sells an aftermarket Silicone Freehub Seal for the 240/350:

https://www.endurobearingsonline.com...bs-29-5x36x2-5

Short-Change-Hero
    Interesting, I was unaware that they sold a seal individually for the freehub.