Do the spacers on the front wheel come off?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do the spacers on the front wheel come off?

I noticed the other day that it sounded like there was some gritty, grinding, or rubbing sound from the front axle. I I pulled the wheel and only thing I noticed was when I turned the spacer looking tube on the outer sides, I could feel a bit of dirt in there. They didn't seem to want to come out easily and I was't going to force it. On the motorcycle, those damn things are a b!tch to get to stay in place when the axle is out. I sprayed a bit of WD40 in there and no more grittiness but...

So do they come out or are they meant to?
    Just one more ride away from a good mood

Formerly of Kent
    Donít spray WD40 on anything on an MTB unless you are trying to clean out a bearing and re-pack it with grease.

Also, post a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Are you talking about the axle end caps?

And are you saying that there was dirt in the area where the axle would pass through the hub? Or are you saying that the grit is between the end cap and the rest of the hub?

Or is the gritty noise coming from the hub bearings itself?

Also, was the noise potentially rotor noise?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Are you talking about the axle end caps?

And are you saying that there was dirt in the area where the axle would pass through the hub? Or are you saying that the grit is between the end cap and the rest of the hub?

Or is the gritty noise coming from the hub bearings itself?

Also, was the noise potentially rotor noise?
    I just pulled the axle for a couple pics and there's no dirt or grit on the axle, so that's good. Must be the end caps and hub?

Here are the two pieces I'm inquiring about.
    Do the spacers on the front wheel come off?-img_20200212_061928.jpgDo the spacers on the front wheel come off?-img_20200212_061940.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF777 View Post
    I just pulled the axle for a couple pics and there's no dirt or grit on the axle, so that's good. Must be the end caps and hub?

Here are the two pieces I'm inquiring about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200212_061928.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	1311321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200212_061940.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	1311323

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Yes, they come out. If I recall correctly that hubs end caps are 2 piece, the "tube" and the outer ring that snaps in and holds them. You may have to use a pair of pliers to wiggle them off. If you're worried about scratches use a piece of inner tube to cover the plier teeth

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Just push in the tip of your axle and lever them off.

Do the spacers on the front wheel come off?-dt-350-end-caps.jpg

mtbr member
    You sprayed WD-40 into a HUB? It's going to get in the bearings and trash them. If you think your hub sounded gritty before, wait until that water displacement fluid does it's hub and completely washes the grease out of your bearings. You're going to need pull the hub apart and replace them bearings some time soon

EAT MORE GRIME
    ^depends on the amount of wd-40, but if it got in the bearings, yes they are done.

wheel bearings and wd-40, not a mtb but close enuf....racing motorcycle, got some nasty tar snake wrapped up around swingarm and rear sprocket, used wd-40 to loosen and remove tar snake. I did not pay enough attention to a wd-40 drip that went to rear axle. didn't blast the axle just a drip of wd-40 got in there. did 5 practice laps, fine. did qualifier 3 laps, fine. did one lap of race, by corner 3 on lap 2 my rear wheel bearing seized, destroyed it, had to have recovery tow truck vehicle lift up bike and hook me back to pits. from one small dab of wd-40 on a bearing. so yeah wd-40 is not really nice to grease, it turns grease to sh*t.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel builder View Post

Name:	DT 350 end caps.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	1311505
    Hey, that's pretty good idea. Where did you get that photo?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    That doesn't jack up the axle threads?

mtbr member
    Well the WD40 posts had me worried, and thanks to the axle pry-bar idea, I was able to get the spacers off and take a look underneath. Thankfully, there was still a good layer of grease under the spacers, but I added some more anyway, and cleaned the spacers as well as the snap in rings.

I was then stuck trying to figure out how to get them back in, but thankfully, a socket fit nicely over the spacer and on the ring and was able to gently tap it down evenly.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel builder View Post

Name:	DT 350 end caps.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	1311505
    I've always gone the other way with problematic end caps. Use the axle to push them out from the back side.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF777 View Post
    Well the WD40 posts had me worried, and thanks to the axle pry-bar idea, I was able to get the spacers off and take a look underneath. Thankfully, there was still a good layer of grease under the spacers, but I added some more anyway, and cleaned the spacers as well as the snap in rings.

I was then stuck trying to figure out how to get them back in, but thankfully, a socket fit nicely over the spacer and on the ring and was able to gently tap it down evenly.
    Just packing more grease in there won't really address the fact that WD40 got in in the first place. Take a rag and wipe the old, contaminated grease out before putting new grease on top of the contaminated stuff. Bonus points if you use isopropyl alcohol to make sure you got any extraneous WD40 residue from outside. Should be no need to get that fancy to push the endcaps back on. I have always just pushed them on by hand.

Magically Delicious
    The thru axle works great and you wont jack up the threads because it comes off quite easy. Just don't insert thru axle past cap depth and into the inner bearing.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    The caps just sit against the bearing, the thin ring is what is a "press fit" in the hub. Way too tight for a fingernail to press in. I'll feed it some alcohol today ;-)

mtbr member
    I think you guys are going a little nuts on the WD40. It's just light lube with solvent. The solvent will evaporate. Unless you do something weird, very little will get past the bearings seals and the little that does will have no effect.

Now if you spray water and aqueous based cleaner/degreaser and that gets in your bearings, then you have something to worry about.
    Do the math.