• 01-06-2013
    vonbonbon
    3 Attachment(s)
    Dirty Dans did the dirty on me UPDATED now with Pics
    Went down to 7stanes Mabie yesterday with a couple of mates. 1st proper outing with my new Arch EX rims and Dirty Dans was really looking forward to see how they would perform.

I have so far only ridden about 80 miles locally with them, which isn't exactly rough terrain. Couldnt believe it when I noticed a 2-3 inch tear in the side wall.

I run them at 30psi with tubes (no tubes kit ordered).

Does this sound like a flaw in the tyre? It looks more torn than cut on a rock or something and its not rock round here. Thorns are the problem around here.

Cheers
  • 01-06-2013
    Stumpjumpy
    Pic
  • 01-06-2013
    bholwell
    No, that cut was not caused by a rock or other trail hazard. A few questions: Are you using rim brakes? Was the tire fully seated on the rim before you rode (i.e. was the small line right below the cut in the photo showing, and equidistant from the rim around the entire circumference of the tire?) Does anything rub or come close to touching the tire on your bike as it spins?
  • 01-06-2013
    vonbonbon
    Got discs and nothing was running. The tyre was a bit wobbly so I don't think it was necessary seated evenly.
  • 01-06-2013
    bholwell
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vonbonbon View Post
    Got discs and nothing was running. The tyre was a bit wobbly so I don't think it was necessary seated evenly.

I think that because the tire wasn't fully seated, the inside edge of the bead hook of your rim contacted the tire at the area of the 'cut'. As you rode your bike, the tire moved back and forth until the rim finally wore through the outer ply of the tire casing. When that happened, the inner ply wasn't able to retain the air pressure alone, and it separated.

This is why it's very important to make sure your tires are fully seated before you ride. Use soapy water as a lubricant on the beads if you need to, and inflate to the lower max pressure of your tire or rim.

You could contact Schwalbe NA to see if they'll warranty the tire. Not sure that they should, though.
  • 01-06-2013
    smithrider
    Bhollowell is most likely right. Had the same cut from not properly seating the tire. It happens.
  • 01-06-2013
    vonbonbon
    Wish I had taken a photo before taking it off. The cut was about 5-8mm away from the rim.
  • 01-06-2013
    vonbonbon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Use soapy water as a lubricant on the beads if you need to, and inflate to the lower max pressure of your tire or rim

It was extremely difficult to get on. Daft question but after the tyre is on and not yet inflated would i soak it then all the way round, then inflate?
  • 01-06-2013
    shiggy
    Quote:

Wish I had taken a photo before taking it off. The cut was about 5-8mm away from the rim.

The tire is designed to have the rim fit to 1-2mm from that little rib just below the cut. That is ~8mm from the tire bead. A standard rim sidewall depth is ~6mm. Notubes rims are not standard and MUCH shallower.
  • 01-06-2013
    vonbonbon
    6-8mm is an estimate. I was too hacked off to pay much attention. Also that was the inflated distance? Not sure how much the side wall stretches under inflation?
  • 01-06-2013
    shiggy
    Quote:

6-8mm is an estimate. I was too hacked off to pay much attention. Also that was the inflated distance? Not sure how much the side wall stretches under inflation?

Sidewalls do not stretch like inner tubes.

Your thumb is about where an EX rim can reach.

My comments were more about using non-standard components can subject tires to forces outside of their design intent.