mtbr member
    Aug 2011

DHR 2 in DD casing

howdy. i've never run the DD casing. to my surprise i don't see many reviews or mention of first hand experience with them. anyone here use the Minion DHR 2.3 with the double down casing? much improvement/difference/ride feel/protection, etc, etc, over the EXO casing? thanks.

Rocks belong
    I've got one, 29x2.3 DoubleDown 3C, on the back of my park/enduro wheelset. Paired with a 2.5 DHF front.

Excellent grip and braking traction
    DoubleDown is a great casing

In fact, I killed an alloy rear rim with this tire mounted (rock strike while riding park at too low PSI) and the tire held up fine
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Lot of people run DD casings! They perform similar to the EXO versions but will have added material to help prevent punctures and tears to the casing. The sidewalls are also stiffer and wont fold over as easy in hard cornering. Also DD generally come in only MaxxGrip casing although more and more are starting to come in MaxxTerra as well.

I weigh 170 geared up and only run a DD rear tire. I only really need it when I'm riding rowdy or high speed courses. If your not popping EXO casings often or you don't weigh a ton you probably won't need them. The vast majority of riders don't have issues with EXO casings, but if you are having issues then DD's will solve those problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I run DD casing in the rear. Depending on the terrain I use Aggressor or DHRII 2.3. I've had great luck with both. DHRII only comes in MaxxTerra compound so it does not last long. I wish it also came in Dual compound.
    EXO tires are not strong enough for me. I eigher puncture them or they deform. I also use DHF 2.5 WT of HR2 2.4 EXO in the front.
    I'm 200lbs

I'm want to try Michelin's Wild Enduro Rear 2.4. I've had good luck with their Reinforced casings also.

Hope this helps.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    I'm want to try Michelin's Wild Enduro Rear 2.4. I've had good luck with their Reinforced casings also.
    Michelin's reinforced casings are excellent. I also like how Michelin is transparent with their newest tire product lines... ie: Front/Rear. No guess work over what is optimized where. I like it!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Michelin's reinforced casings are excellent. I also like how Michelin is transparent with their newest tire product lines... ie: Front/Rear. No guess work over what is optimized where. I like it!
    Those new Michelin wilds look really nice, I want to see one in person. May try them out for a bit next season!