DHR 2 2.6 on front - pro, cons vs DHF 2.6?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

DHR 2 2.6 on front - pro, cons vs DHF 2.6?

Hi, i've read a lot on the internet, also here in the forum, and i'm still a little confused as there are some contradictions from what people say.

I've never tried Maxxis tires on my full suspension 130mm 29" trail bike...
    I'm on 29i rim width front and rear.
    Don't ride in very muddy terrain or in too technical extreme enduro trails.

I've see in a bike shop a bike with 29i rims equipped with DHR 2 29x2.6 front and a Rekon 29x2.6 rear. From what i've see, they were a really good profile!
    The rekon nice round, and the DHR 2 on front, not too round, not too squared...
    This seems a good combo for my intended use...

What should i expect using a DHR 2 2.6 in front, instead of the DHF 2.6?

The reason why i've never tried maxxis minion is the fear of the vague transition zone from center to side knobs... i would like to push and lean the bike hard, but in natural trails there aren't always the conditions(and i have no pro skills) to do that in every turn...

Is in front the DHR 2 2.6 better or worse in terms of vague/drift transition to side knobs instead of a DHF 2.6?

DHR 2 from what i have see, has "designed" with a more squared profile, so a dhr2 2.6 could be a better match to my "small" 29i rims, instead a dhf 2.6 that can be too round on them?

Actually i have a xr4 2.6 in front(really like the upgrade to 2.6 from 2.4 in front, as it have more cushioning effect and let soak up better the rough terrain and feeling more confident).

Keep on Rockin...
    Seems you are spot on with all your research in terms of what to expect out of a DHR2 up front. Only thing left for you to do is try it.

I'd say what you are putting too much stock in is the specter of the "vague" transition to the side knobs on the DHF. I've run that on natural featured, rugged trails for years and never had a problem. With proper psi and properly weighting the front end the DHF's corner knobs hook up earlier than armchair reviewers would have you think. Yes, when leaned you can really feel it dig in, but even before its leaned it is still good.

It is suggested, as you mentioned, the DHR2 should be even better with regard to non-aggressive cornering. Splitting hairs if you ask me. Biggest difference I see between the two is the straight line braking on the DHR2, out back, is better.

All that said, I've never run a DHR2 up front, but have run it out back and the DHF front and back for many miles. But, I plan on replacing a 2.6 Forkaster on the front of my 29" trail bike with a Minion. Thought I could get away with less tire up front for a lighter, snappier build, but I miss the cornering confidence the Minions bring. So, I think I'm going to try a 2.4 WT DHR2 up front. Picking that over a DHF WT up front. In 29" only the DHR2 comes in a 120tpi, which I like better up front. We'll see how it goes and maybe both of us post back?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks, i really want to try what's the feeling of a front minion (dhr2 or dhf), and the soft maxxis 3C maxxterra compound (as my xr4 60a/52a are not soo soft).

Now maxxis has these 2 tires that i will try on front (paired with a faster rolling rekon 2.6 in the back):

DHR II TB00073100 29x2.60WT 120tpi 950gr. 3C Maxterra EXO
    DHF TB00032600 29x2.60WT 120tpi 1000gr. 3C Maxterra EXO

I think that they both have a weight, compound, and volume that can satisfy my needs,... i always try to ride correctly in turns, lean the bike and give the correct weight, but i'm not a super hardcore pro biker that push as hard as i can in corners.

Experiment with tires can be nice but also expensive.. so i need to choose what front tire will "in theory" be better on my 29i rims...
    I've tried 2.35 michelin wild am and force am combo (didn't liked them so much)
    I've tried 2.4 kenda hellkat / nevegal2 (liked, but from my experience and my skills, the front has good corner grip, but not that "secure" and "forgiving" feeling over rough stuff like the bigger 2.6 XR4...)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The transition zone on minions is there but I wouldn't call it vague or scary. The Ardent has a massive vague zone by comparison. Another option if you're concerned is the 2.6 Schwalbe Magic Mary which has transitional lugs and no real vague zone to speak of.

mtbr member
    Seems you've got things figured out in terms of what to expect, but my question to you is why the want/desire to go for such big tyres on a 130mm travel bike on self describe not aggressive trails or riding style? Also, not so sure that you'll be making a move up going to the DHR2/DHF coming from the XR4, not from all I've read from those who made the switch the other way DHR2/DHF>XR4.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Seems you've got things figured out in terms of what to expect, but my question to you is why the want/desire to go for such big tyres on a 130mm travel bike on self describe not aggressive trails or riding style? Also, not so sure that you'll be making a move up going to the DHR2/DHF coming from the XR4, not from all I've read from those who made the switch the other way DHR2/DHF>XR4.
    HI, i understand that in a forum it's difficult to understand riding skills, trails, etc.. by saying not so aggressive is always "relative"... maybe what's aggressive for some, is not for others or viceversa...
    By saying not so much aggressive and not an hardcore pro rider, i'm not meaning i go cruising at low speeds with no skills... always try to improve and to do my best.. but it's important to know your limits... At age 40 i know i will never be a DH racer

Why i want to try maxxis minion?
    - Never try maxxis tires
    - For the softer compound: as i say i want to try what a soft compound(50/42 vs 60/52) is in rocks, roots, wet roots, etc.
    - the minion side knobs are worldwide know as fantastic grip and feeling, and want, once in my life, try them
    - because with these new 120tpi dhf/dhr2 2.6, the weights are now not so different from my 950gr of the xr4 2.6...
    - i've alway thought that the intermediate knobs of the xr4, give away some pressure on the side knobs, so i'm curios to see how i will feel the grip in turns... never really washed out on xr4, but how can i turn with minions? Maybe with the same skills, will i discover a higher level of grip and fun?

Also the magicmary is on the list of the next tires to try

mtbr member
    Pretty well thought out observations/research. You're a welcome addition to mtbr. Enjoy the tires and let us know how they work out.

mtbr member
    OP, sounds like a good reason to me, especially if you're newer to MTBing, always good to try different tyres and try to find ones that work for you and your terrain

Guess while I applaud and embrace the whole PLUS thing myself, I do so on a rigid and am a bit dubious on the move to such big tyres on full sus bikes. Have tried big rubber on my 1301/40mm FS and it just to me took away the real need for lots of rider imput, just became a plow machine where line choice wasn't really necessary and that's not what I enjoy about MTBing, hence why my main ride now is a 29+ rigid and even looking at going a bit narrower on it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Perpetual Hack
    I'm in the same boat, and am doing pretty much the same thing.

On my new build I'm going 2.4 DHR2 120tpi EXO+ 3C in front with a 2.4 Rekon 60tpi 2C in back.

I have never run a DHR2 in front.
    I have run a DHF in front.

On the big bike I have no issues with the DHF.
    On the trail bike on my local trails, I am not a DHF fan.
    There are too many corners that I find the lean angle is right in the drift zone of the DHF, so years ago I went to Schwalbe.

I'm a small 54 year old clyde - 6'2" @ 220 riding weight.
    I was seriously considering trying the 2.6 stuff to help with roots, however my experience with 2.8 was not good, so being a bit concerned about squirm, I decided to go 2.4, and am debating my choice with myself daily. They should be in this week, so hopefully I will have the bike built and ready to go for next weekend.

Good luck.
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks to all,
    still don't know if tryng a DHF or DHR2 in front...

for mykel: i went from 2.4 to 2.6 and really didn't notice much the increase of squirm compared to the benefits of better rough absorption. Maybe at 2.8 it will start to squirm and 2.6 is really the sweet spot for the average rider?

I agree with lynx that a more skilled rider could prefer the more precise and faster feeling of a good 2.4 tire. Not everybody ride the same, from my personal point of view, i prefer a little more numbness on the difficult rough stuff, and enjoy better the flow sections... but it's just me...

Barely in control
    Do you ride high speed berms? Berms limit the freedom of bike lean and make transition zones more important in tires. I rarely ride berms and ride in a lot of loose so I like the DHR style for the open spaces that finds traction around the grit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I came here to post nearly the same question

I also have i29 29er rims, and like the forgiveness and traction of larger tires. Maxxis’ recommendation is 35mm internal for their WT tires, but I feel ok with the 29mm rim as long as the tire has a solid casing and decent shape.

This would be for the front of my wife’s 130/150mm bike for bikepark use.
    She also doesn’t always commit to the most agressive lean angles, and as mentioned, berms reduce that angle as well.
    So that combined with the much narrower than recommended rim width, had me worried about the lack of intermediate knobs on the Minions as well.

I was planning on going for the Assegai, since they have some solid intermediate knobs and every review claimed fantastic traction.
    I tried the folding DH version and they were so tight on the Bontrager rim, I couldn’t get them on, no matter how hard I tried.
    Now the regular versions are almost there, but the only one with MaxxGrip is the double down version, which by all accounts is (almost) as stiff and hard to mount as the folding DH casing.

Ideally I’d get a 2.5 Exo+ Assegai with maxx grip, but that doesn’t exist..

So the question for use mostly in the bikepark, on a mix of wet, techy oots and rocks and loose over hard berms, do I pick the:
    • Assegai 2.5 Exo Maxxterra -Intermediate knobs
    • DHF 2.5 Exo Maxgrip -Soft compound
    • DHF or DHR II 2.6 Exo+ Maxterra -Firmer casing and larger volume, run lower pressure so side knobs are closer to the ground?

always licking the glass
    I run a DHR 2.8 in the front. I might try a 2.6 when this one wears out. The DHR is a good tire for my trail riding, but so is the DHF 2.5 WT. I didn’t like DHR 2.8 with the Rekon 2.6 because it was a bit too exciting (slide-y) for me on the full suspension.

I switched to an aggressor 2.5 WT rear (looks more like a 2.6), and it feels like a nice combo with either the DHF 2.5 WT or DHR 2.8 or DHR 2.6 (haven’t tried this one yet). I didn’t like the DHR 2.4 at all, front or rear.

For the DHF, I like the 2.5 WT better than the 2.6. The 2.6 just felt weird.

My bikes and tires:
    DH : 2.5 WT DHF front and rear
    Trail: DHR 2.8 front / aggressor 2.5 WT
    Hardtail summer: HR2 2.8 front, Rekon 2.8 rear
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I actually decided to go for the Vigilante 2.6 for this application, should be perfect for me:
    Intermediate knobs, soft compound, supportive casing and true 2.6” size.
    It won’t be good for the OP though, even the ‘light’ casing is over 1200g in the 29er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I just removed a 2.6 Vigilante off the front of my bike after 5 rides and put another Magic Mary back on. The vigilante didn't have the lean capabilities of the Mary.