DHF/DHF or another combo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

DHF/DHF or another combo?

Hi all,

Looks like the aggressor on the back of my 29er DHF/Aggressor combo is starting to wear quite a bit and i'm looking for a new combo. I'm thinking I will get another 5 rides, meaning 2 or 3 weeks on the tire before its time to throw it away. The tire is wearing exactly the same as the dhr2 in the same number of rides, it has lost some climbing and braking traction just like my dhr2 did, if its like the dhr2 then cornering and everything else will start to drastically decrease in a few more rides, enough for me to get rid of the tire.

I've been wanting to try a 3c dhf front/ dual compound dhf rear for awhile and it seems like the right time, I just installed a new dhf on the front but am still looking at other options for a rear tire before I commit. I need something that will do good in dry to wet conditions as the tire should last me a few more months, assuming I keep with maxxis. The aggressor has been amazing but is not known to be a good wet tire, otherwise i'd get another one. I considered the tomahawk since it also is supposed to be an do it all tire but it seems to actually be recommended for dry only like the aggressor. A decent rolling tire with great cornering is what I look for the most, conditions I ride in vary from dusty hardpack with roots, small gravel chunks over hard stuff (quite drifty!), solid rock, probably some mud in a month or two, and so on (I ride in norcal sf bay area).

Anyways, I have the new DHF mounted on the front so I will need something that works well with it. For the record, I have already tried the following and want something different:

2x kenda honey badgers: Came mounted on my bike, they were pretty good but lasted just a few weeks before the whole center tread was gone, plus they constantly got punctured by thorns.

2x 2.2 ardent race: Terrible, fast rolling but useless in anything that was not bone-dry xc stuff.

2.3 hr2/2.25 ardent: Pretty good, the ardent has its plus and minuses for sure, I suppose it would work for now but I would prefer something with better cornering

2.3 hr2/ 2.3 dhr2: ssslllooooww combo, I also wiped out big time when using it in the wet, I think it was because I had a brand new dhr2 mixed with a very old hr2 in an area that looked dry but was actually very muddy. I only had it a few rides before getting rid of the hr2.

2.3 dhf/2.3 dhr2: Obviously a famous combo, pretty good, the dhr2 is drifty of course and does not corner as directly as the aggressor. The dhr2 is good but won't be installing another for awhile.

2.3 dhf/2.3 aggressor: My current combo, best balance between cornering, braking, and rolling of any combo yet, at least in the dry.

So, what have you used with a dhf in the front that might work good from dry to wet and slightly muddy conditions? There's still specialized (maybe a butcher on the rear, its like a dhf), bontrager, etc that I have yet to try.

mtbr member
    2.4 ardent is much better than 2.25. Larger lugs..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    2.4 ardent is much better than 2.25. Larger lugs..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately the 2.4 probably won't clear in the rear, the 2.3 is fine but 2.4 probably is too much, 2.3 is a pretty good all around size for me imo.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately can't help you out right now, give me a couple weeks, as I just put this combo on my Phantom to give it a try - actually running 3C F&R, damaged DHF rear just to try, casing slightly wobbly.

Initial thoughts after my first ride was that it did not actually feel too draggy on the rear, actually rolled quite well, but a DC would be better for that. For actual cornering and braking, it seemed to work quite well, but may have a had a tad too much air in it as casing is stouter than previous rear. Cornering felt a little weird, accustomed to DHR2 2.3", Forekaster 2.35", Ikon 2.35", but could also be that I haven't actually riden any "real" trails in about 4-5 weeks, so just not accustomed.

Plan to get back out at least twice this week with it, dropping the pressure down 1-2 PSI to see how that performs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    DHR2 is Mt favorite rear Maxxis tire for mud. I havent found the holy grail you are looking for of something really good on both loose dry and mud, I think that's a tough one. You may need different tires if you are planning on a lot of mud riding. I typically avoid it to preserve the trails as well as hours of additional bike maintenance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A couple options I like:

Vittoria Morsa G+ TNT: A very fast roller, corners hard, slightly drifty when not leaned over. The 2.3 measures more like a true 2.35 and dwarfs the Aggressor in volume. Think of it as an intermediate option between an Aggressor and a semi-slick, or alternatively it's what an Ardent would be if Ardents didn't suck. Definitely less braking traction than an Aggressor, and less suited to muddy and greasy-but-not-quite-muddy conditions. By the sound of it, it's not enough tread for you this go-around.

Bontrager SE5 Team Issue: Like a mix between the DHF and DHR2, or a cut down DHR2. The center knobs brake hard and are reasonably wide, but they don't extend as far as the DHR2's, so you get a good open cornering channel without that drifty HDR2 feel. Clears mud very well. Rolling resistance is somewhere between and Aggressor and DHR2. It's really very excellent, the tire I put on the rear for wet-not-muddy conditions.

The SE4 might be a good option, in the new tread pattern (alternating 2/3 center blocks) and not the older tread pattern (transition knob spew everywhere). Haven't tried it myself, though. I'd expect it to roll faster but clog up more than an SE5.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Unfortunately can't help you out right now, give me a couple weeks, as I just put this combo on my Phantom to give it a try - actually running 3C F&R, damaged DHF rear just to try, casing slightly wobbly.

Initial thoughts after my first ride was that it did not actually feel too draggy on the rear, actually rolled quite well, but a DC would be better for that. For actual cornering and braking, it seemed to work quite well, but may have a had a tad too much air in it as casing is stouter than previous rear. Cornering felt a little weird, accustomed to DHR2 2.3", Forekaster 2.35", Ikon 2.35", but could also be that I haven't actually riden any "real" trails in about 4-5 weeks, so just not accustomed.

Plan to get back out at least twice this week with it, dropping the pressure down 1-2 PSI to see how that performs.
    cool, I know dhf/dhf had some fans before the dhr2 was released but people seem mixed about it. At least its not too draggy in the rear, I think if it hooks up like it does in the front and rolls okay it would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    DHR2 is Mt favorite rear Maxxis tire for mud. I havent found the holy grail you are looking for of something really good on both loose dry and mud, I think that's a tough one. You may need different tires if you are planning on a lot of mud riding. I typically avoid it to preserve the trails as well as hours of additional bike maintenance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    In the times I used the dhr2 in muddy stuff, I found it was good in a straight line but it seemed to randomly kick out if riding on the side knobs, so it was kind of sketchy. But I did not have that happen very often, so maybe it is the best choice.

For super muddy stuff though I would get a hr2, I found it to be great in the super wet and muddy stuff, its just slow everywhere else though, yet still a great tire. It won't get "mud apocalypse" conditions until january I think and i'll have a new rear tire by then most likely. So, something that is good for general dry riding but also decent in slighty wet and slightly muddy is what i'm looking for. The dhr2 still probably fills that I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    A couple options I like:

Vittoria Morsa G+ TNT: A very fast roller, corners hard, slightly drifty when not leaned over. The 2.3 measures more like a true 2.35 and dwarfs the Aggressor in volume. Think of it as an intermediate option between an Aggressor and a semi-slick, or alternatively it's what an Ardent would be if Ardents didn't suck. Definitely less braking traction than an Aggressor, and less suited to muddy and greasy-but-not-quite-muddy conditions. By the sound of it, it's not enough tread for you this go-around.

Bontrager SE5 Team Issue: Like a mix between the DHF and DHR2, or a cut down DHR2. The center knobs brake hard and are reasonably wide, but they don't extend as far as the DHR2's, so you get a good open cornering channel without that drifty HDR2 feel. Clears mud very well. Rolling resistance is somewhere between and Aggressor and DHR2. It's really very excellent, the tire I put on the rear for wet-not-muddy conditions.

The SE4 might be a good option, in the new tread pattern (alternating 2/3 center blocks) and not the older tread pattern (transition knob spew everywhere). Haven't tried it myself, though. I'd expect it to roll faster but clog up more than an SE5.
    The vittoria sounds good but the wrong direction to go if its worse than the aggressor in the wet. That bontrager might do the trick though! I know maxxis 2.3's run smaller than others so don't want a rear to dwarf the front either. I'll look at both of those bontragers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I tried a DHF 2.5 on the rear, mad traction but really slow draggy tie imo.

I swapped to a WTB Breakout tough/ fast 2.3 and it provides 85% of the traction, and like 30% less drag. It was a good trade off for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    DHF/ DHF combo rules... the 3c DHF has always given me good mileage even in back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'll be ordering soon, ended up breaking a pedal today (over 2 years old xpedo spry) and my aggressor is wearing faster than expected. Haven't got much of a chance to look at the other options and the dhf sounds good still so I will likely go that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I tried a DHF 2.5 on the rear, mad traction but really slow draggy tie imo.

I swapped to a WTB Breakout tough/ fast 2.3 and it provides 85% of the traction, and like 30% less drag. It was a good trade off for me.
    I've heard that about the 2.5's, it sounded like the 2.3 was quite a bit better, the 2.3 is supposed to be a tiny bit quicker rolling than the dhr2 if I remember correctly. The dhr2 was tolerable in terms of rolling, so i'm hoping i'm okay with a dual compound dhf.

Quote Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
    DHF/ DHF combo rules... the 3c DHF has always given me good mileage even in back.
    Good to hear! I thought about throwing my old dhf front tire (3c) on the back but it was mostly the casing that was worn and not the tread. After 33 rides, anywhere from 270-300 something miles, the center tread still looked good, the side knobs were definitely worn and somewhat undercut but still okay, but the casing leaked sealant badly after ~25 rides suddenly. I parked my bike and everything was fine, came back about 3 weeks later to ride again and noticed the whole outside of the front tire had dried sealant that dripped down the side of it. Probably could have got many more rides out of the tire if it wasn't for the casing, the new dhf front is definitely a bit less squirrely due to the new, stiffer sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Double DHF is rad if you are looking for max traction. I love it on my AM bike.

I don't enduro...

Put a tube in that old tire and try it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.M. View Post
    Put a tube in that old tire and try it!
    Didn't think of that, unfortunately I already got rid of it. It also was able to hold air okay as the sealant clogged the holes, its just the casing was so worn by that point that it was hurting my cornering, I do ride with very low pressures so that probably doesn't help. Maximum cornering ability is what I look for for sure, max traction in general will be awesome!