mtbr member
    Nov 2007

DHF 2.5WT w/ which rear? Maxxis vs Schwalbe???

My current DHF 2.5WT 3C Maxx Terra and Aggressor 2.3 DC are in need of replacing and Iím wondering if there is a better option.

I ride a latest generation Bronson with RaceFace Arc30 Offset rims in typical NY/NJ trails consisting of natural terrain, rocks, roots, some steep downhill sections that have to be earned. At 195lbs and a BMX/DH background I just like having fun while I ride.

Looking for a lighter and faster set-up I tried the newer Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 Addix Soft and Rock Razor 2.35 Addix Speedgrip, Snakeskin on both. With their rave reviews, being about 200g lighter than my current set-up and the fact that I run a DHF 2.3/Minion SS 2.3 on my 5010CC (on smoother trails) I figured this would be an awesome set-up.

It definitely felt lighter, maybe faster, but I felt very unsettled on the bike. It definitely did not have the point and shoot go over anything with confidence feel that my DHF/Aggressor set-up had. I felt like the back end was skipping around over rocks, sliding off of rocks and drifting in turns. I thought I needed to lower from my normal 23.5f/25.5r psi, a few quick presses of my valves on the trails and off I went again. Now I was hitting my rims more than Iíd like. The Schwalbe snakeskin casings just did not feel right compared to Maxxis EXO.

So, I swapped my DHF 2.5WT/Aggressor 2.3 back on and had an awesome ride yesterday. Could it have just been an off day or is this set-up really just that much better than the Schwalbe set-up?

How can I pick up some speed with a Maxxis set-up? Should I try a Minion SS on the rear? Stick with an Aggressor? Try a DHFII??? Try both? SS for the summer and DHFII in fall/winter?

Never trust a fart
    The Maxxis has a more durable sidewall than Schwalbe. I'd pick the Maxxis over the Schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There's a lot of different discussions/opinions here, but the Bontrager line-up appears underrated.

XR4/XR4 maybe a good combo for you. And if you want some more protection you can get SE4/SE2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    There's a lot of different discussions/opinions here, but the Bontrager line-up appears underrated.

XR4/XR4 maybe a good combo for you. And if you want some more protection you can get SE4/SE2.

Hmmmm, the SE5 and SE2 do look like a fun set-up.

Iím not sure what it is, but Iíve tried Schwalbe (Magic Mary/Rock Razor, Nobby Nic), Continental(X-king) Specialized (Butcher/Slaughter) and Maxxis has felt the best.

mtbr member
    Morsa is a great fast "aggro" rear tire.
    Se5/se4 is hard to beat for all around good at everything lightish fastish tires. I'll take an e-13 up front for an ulitimate performer over the dhf by a wide margin.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Sounds like you have already found your best combo.. Iím running the same 2.5 DHF/2.3 Agressor combo and I donít plan to change, it just works. Tried a 2.35 Forekaster and a 2.4 DHR2, both were better on the extremes but the Agressor is the perfect compromise for me.. it just works.. why change?

mtbr member
    The aggressor is a great tire...for about 30 miles. After that the performance drops off a cliff.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

hispanic mechanic
    Well, now it looks like the e13 knobby front/SS rear might just be a hot ticket in the dry...

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Well, now it looks like the e13 knobby front/SS rear might just be a hot ticket in the dry...

Los
    Iíve noticed those, they look damn good!

So many of these tires are so similar, similar casings and compounds. I donít know how the reviews can be so different. But, somehow the Schwalbe Snakeskin felt way different than Maxxis EXO and Iím no pro rider.

It also makes me wonder whoís actually manufacturing all these tires. Maxxis, Schwalbe, Specialized, Bontrager, e13, etc. are all manufacturing their own tires??? I doubt that

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Be cautious to equate tires made in the same factory as being the same as (nearly) the same tire across various mfrs. It's common for products to be made in a common factory but they typically use the formula (compounds/processes) strict to that company having the product made.

Automobile tires do this. Same/similar tread patterns but different performances because each company strictly specifies the construction and compounds to be used. The factory contracted to make them isn't authorized to steal that formula and simply share it amongst others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
    Iíve noticed those, they look damn good!

So many of these tires are so similar, similar casings and compounds. I donít know how the reviews can be so different. But, somehow the Schwalbe Snakeskin felt way different than Maxxis EXO and Iím no pro rider.

It also makes me wonder whoís actually manufacturing all these tires. Maxxis, Schwalbe, Specialized, Bontrager, e13, etc. are all manufacturing their own tires??? I doubt that
    The difference between the brands are subtle. Tread compound and sipping are important as well. Have you has as much rain as most the East cost? The Agressor 2.3 is good if you're doing a lot of climbing but its a compromise as you felt. A DHR2 (3c if slick ) might be better for you. The Schwalbe are nice but i can only get 150miles out of them. On east coast rock and roots. I like the Bontragers when trails are dry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you find Schwalbe Snakeskin too light/flexy the Apex version has some bead reinforcement without adding a lot of weight like the SG.
    I'm currently running RockRazor Apex 2.6 rear and haven't noticed any rollover, bouncing, etc.