DHF 2.5 WT vs DHF 2.6 WT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

DHF 2.5 WT vs DHF 2.6 WT

Thought I'd try the 2.6 out and see how it differs. Well, it doesn't by much, and where it does it's not really good IMO.

The casing width is indeed 0.1" wider. However, the furthest out side knobs are only 0.2mm wider, and the more inner outside knobs are about 1.2-1.5mm wider(over the entire tire width, not just one side).

The difference in tread width is imperceptible, but now the casing looks noticeably wider, and exposed to rocks, kind of balloon-y looking. I wouldn't recommend the "upgrade" personally (just my opinion).

Pic is with the 2.6 on 30mm IW and the 2.5 on 26mm IW wheels.

2.6 is on the right, 2.5 on the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DHF 2.5 WT vs DHF 2.6 WT-20170722_102112.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks I was looking for this comparison.

So the 2.6 DHF has significantly more volume and is probably lighter too? (reading along the lines)

I do have the Nobby Nic 2.6 and while they're not soo much wider than a 2.4 tire the added volume can be felt on the trail as it enables you to run much lower air pressure

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the report - I think loads of folks are wondering about the 2.6WT.

How do the cornering knobs compare? I assume they're shorter on the 2.6? Are they narrower/less well-supported?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Any chance you could do a true width measurement of the 2.5?

Also wondering if anyone can tell me how either the Maxxis DHRII WT or DHF WT 2.4s measure out width-wise (I know in the past Maxxis has proven to measure smaller so I'm curious on these).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Thanks for the report - I think loads of folks are wondering about the 2.6WT.

How do the cornering knobs compare? I assume they're shorter on the 2.6? Are they narrower/less well-supported?
    The actual knobs are all identical in size. However, the spacing is different. They are all about 1mm farther apart both width wise and circumference wise, and both the middle and side knobs spacing are changed like this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sn1ck View Post
    Any chance you could do a true width measurement of the 2.5?

Also wondering if anyone can tell me how either the Maxxis DHRII WT or DHF WT 2.4s measure out width-wise (I know in the past Maxxis has proven to measure smaller so I'm curious on these).

Thanks!
    What is a true width measurement? Define it and I'll do it. I have digital calipers that go to 0.01 mm accuracy.

I also have a DHRII 2.4 on the rear I can measure too, so all three. Just let me know how you want it measured.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I guess I just meant if they are true to size compared to the width that Maxxis provides.
    So the width of an inflated tire from outer tread to outer tread.

If you could measure all three that would be tremendous! (If you don't mind letting me know what size rims they were mounted to during measurement that would be great as well).

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ok, got it. First I set all four tires to 20psi exactly (topeak digital gauge). Second, I measured to the very widest knobs for width, and did it three times on different places per tire to see how much it deviated by. It was +/- .05mm each time at the most.

DHF WT 2.6 x 27.5 on IW 30 wheels (Enve M70hv) = 64.30mm

DHF WT 2.5 x 27.5 on IW 26 wheels (Enve M60hv) = 62.30mm

DHRII WT 2.4 x 27.5 on IW 26 wheels (Enve M60hv) = 59.50mm

DHRII WT 2.4 x 27.5 on IW 30 wheels (Enve M70hv) = 60.60mm

Looks like 4mm more IW added 1mm more thread width on the 2.4's, so interpolating the 2.6 compared to the 2.5 would be 1mm wider. Like I said, not a whole lot. By eye you can't tell the difference.

The other thing to consider is all but the 2.6 have some wear on them, maybe 10-15%, not bad, but it closes that gap even more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ive got a few good rides on the 2.6 in the front - replaced the 2.5 which i decided I would try as a rear - since i had destroyed my DHR2.4.

Its not a huge difference really but i do like the 2.6 better. the extra volume seems to allow for some low air pressures where the tire eats some little trail chop, the grip is awesome and not noticeable squirm. If blind testing - don't know I'd really find many perceptible differences - but knowing its there now and playing w pressures - i truly like the tire.

The big surprise is the 2.5 as a rear - it had seen some decent use this spring/summer - so the really tackiness is gone. Overall - doest seem to drag horribly and Ive even set some uphill PR's w the combo. What it does have over the DHR is better sidewall support and volume so running same and lower pressures it performs better than the DHR it replaced. Ive run what some would call silly PSI as a rear and no rim strikes or flats. Same pressures on the DHR and game over. It has grip for days and turn things loose going down and i can get away w some pretty silly (for me) stuff on some rocky and technical trails...

Loving the combo frankly. Will soon try a diff rear - WTB Breakout 2.5 which altho heavier is the fast roll compound. Be interesting to compare. Im also awaiting the Aggressor - loved it in 2.3 but didn't love the low volume.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I got my first ride in today on the 2.6. Dry, loose over hard. The grip seems about the same as the 2.5, but it seems to "give" a little softer at the cornering limit. It doesn't let loose as quickly when it starts to lose traction. It does absorb the small trail chatter a little more. It also handles lower pressure pretty good. It does get "spongey" feeling, but it's just different, not better or worse as far as I can tell. It definitely has a slightly different character to it than the 2.5. I don't have any complaints, it does the job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SonomaBiker View Post
    Ok, got it. First I set all four tires to 20psi exactly (topeak digital gauge). Second, I measured to the very widest knobs for width, and did it three times on different places per tire to see how much it deviated by. It was +/- .05mm each time at the most.

DHF WT 2.6 x 27.5 on IW 30 wheels (Enve M70hv) = 64.30mm

DHF WT 2.5 x 27.5 on IW 26 wheels (Enve M60hv) = 62.30mm

DHRII WT 2.4 x 27.5 on IW 26 wheels (Enve M60hv) = 59.50mm

DHRII WT 2.4 x 27.5 on IW 30 wheels (Enve M70hv) = 60.60mm

Looks like 4mm more IW added 1mm more thread width on the 2.4's, so interpolating the 2.6 compared to the 2.5 would be 1mm wider. Like I said, not a whole lot. By eye you can't tell the difference.

The other thing to consider is all but the 2.6 have some wear on them, maybe 10-15%, not bad, but it closes that gap even more.
    This is exactly what I was after! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been running 2.5WT on IW 25.5 FLOW EX
    With no issues, wondering if I would have any issues with the 2.6 on the flow ex?
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Shouldn't be a problem for the wheel... check spacing on your fork/frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thanks brutha!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    just ordered the 27.5 x 2.6 off amazon for $62! I will report back once mounted! just mounted the ardent 26 x 2.4 rear on my liteville! bam!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The 27.5 x 2.6wt is 66.8mm and the 27.5 x 2.5wt is 64mm, both @ 35-40psi and on IW 35mm rims as measured this morning. it looks huge almost the size of the rekon+ on my Mojo 3.
    '20 Ibis Ripley
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC-Spare

always licking the glass
    What's the weight on the DHF 2.6 vs the 2.5 WT? I can't find the 2.6 weight online, but it felt much lighter than my 2.5 WT DHF (965g).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    920 grams for 27.5x2.6 & 932 grams for 27.5x2.5wt, both actual weights.
    '20 Ibis Ripley
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC-Spare

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    mounted to flow S1 2.6! bam, loving them! 650B Pike non boost!
    Name:  2.6 side shot.png
Views: 5915
Size:  129.4 KBName:  2.6   650B pike.png
Views: 5942
Size:  140.7 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    The 27.5 x 2.6wt is 66.8mm and the 27.5 x 2.5wt is 64mm, both @ 35-40psi and on IW 35mm rims as measured this morning. it looks huge almost the size of the rekon+ on my Mojo 3.
    35-49 psi!!??!! the whole point of these tires is to run low pressures!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    so the 2.5 minions come in 3C maxx terra and the 2.6 come in 'triple' whatever that means. anyone have any idea how 3C maxxxx terra is different than triple?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It is confusing

On Maxxis site it's also unclear

Minion DHF | Maxxis Tires USA

BUT, on Art's site if you add the 2.6 to your cart, it comes up

"Maxxis Minion DHF Tire 27.5x2.6 TR 3C MaxTerra EXO WT"

even though in the actual listing its just "3C".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    so the 2.5 minions come in 3C maxx terra and the 2.6 come in 'triple' whatever that means. anyone have any idea how 3C maxxxx terra is different than triple?
    3C maxx terra = triple !!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    What's the weight on the DHF 2.6 vs the 2.5 WT? I can't find the 2.6 weight online, but it felt much lighter than my 2.5 WT DHF (965g).
    You may have what I do...2.5 WT MaxxGripp? IMO the extra weight is a nice trade off for the added traction up front (it is grippy). It is around 60gr heavier than a 2.6 WT Maxx Terra.

Keep on Rockin...
    Just to add...

2.6 vs 2.5WT - The 2.6 rolls noticeably faster. Its higher volume, and likely thinner casing makes for a more compliant tire that is better at reducing trail chatter.

I suspect the 2.5 will be more durable and will "hold up" better to very aggressive riding. Kind of like running a fork - slightly soft or slightly firm.

That said I've pushed the 2.6" tires very hard under my 180# riding weight almost all summer and they've pulled through everything great. The trail and riding would have to be very darn aggressive to out ride this tire.

The 2.5WT is good but compared to the 2.6 is far more draggy when pedaling. Probably way more tire than most riders really need - again, kind of like suspension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thought I'd try the 2.6 out and see how it differs. Well, it doesn't by much, and where it does it's not really good IMO.

The casing width is indeed 0.1" wider. However, the furthest out side knobs are only 0.2mm wider, and the more inner outside knobs are about 1.2-1.5mm wider(over the entire tire width, not just one side).

The difference in tread width is imperceptible, but now the casing looks noticeably wider, and exposed to rocks, kind of balloon-y looking. I wouldn't recommend the "upgrade" personally (just my opinion).

Pic is with the 2.6 on 30mm IW and the 2.5 on 26mm IW wheels.

2.6 is on the right, 2.5 on the left.
    So is the casing wider than the tread in the 2.6"??
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I would imagine that would depend on a few things, like at least wheel width and tire pressure. This is on 30mm internal width Enve M70HV's. The casing is just wider than the side knobs by about 2mm at low pressure (13-15psi ish)

Now that I've ridden the 2.6" for a while I've gotten used to them and have adjusted to what they benefit (I did not think they were all great at first). They allow you to lower your tire pressure without as easily burping or folding and get more cornering grip, especially in loose corners. Testing back to back with the 2.5" (2.5" being on 26 internal width wheels) the 2.6" has noticeably more grip... but only if you get it to the optimal pressure. On the 2.5" I start burping and folding well before I can get to the same grip level. The 2.6" also allows for lower pressure without rim strike, giving a more forgiving ride over small chattery bump and able to take bigger hits without bottoming out at lower pressures.

DHF 2.5 WT vs DHF 2.6 WT-20181210_204343.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would imagine that would depend on a few things, like at least wheel width and tire pressure. This is on 30mm internal width Enve M70HV's. The casing is just wider than the side knobs by about 2mm at low pressure (13-15psi ish)

Now that I've ridden the 2.6" for a while I've gotten used to them and have adjusted to what they benefit (I did not think they were all great at first). They allow you to lower your tire pressure without as easily burping or folding and get more cornering grip, especially in loose corners. Testing back to back with the 2.5" (2.5" being on 26 internal width wheels) the 2.6" has noticeably more grip... but only if you get it to the optimal pressure. On the 2.5" I start burping and folding well before I can get to the same grip level. The 2.6" also allows for lower pressure without rim strike, giving a more forgiving ride over small chattery bump and able to take bigger hits without bottoming out at lower pressures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181210_204343.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	1228451
    Thanks for the info.
    '18 banshee rune

high pivot witchcraft
    Does anyone know where I can get 2 29er DHF 2.6 3C MaxTerra EXOs? Or better yet, EXO+ (although I suspect those may take a while)? I have hunted everywhere and cannot find any. I need some asap for a new set of wheels.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePodraza View Post
    just ordered the 27.5 x 2.6 off amazon for $62! I will report back once mounted! just mounted the ardent 26 x 2.4 rear on my liteville! bam!

That's a good combination, but the Rekon has a 2.4 size now too.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    That's a good combination, but the Rekon has a 2.4 size now too.
    Bam!

mtbr member
    Can any of you chime in with pressures you're running and what you weigh??

Got my first ride on the 2.6 DHF front / 2.5 Aggressor combo...coming from 2.4 High Rollers. I'm maybe 210 lbs and was able to run the HRs down to 19 or so for some really rough embedded rock trails in the ozarks. Even as low as 17 but it's like pedaling in lead shoes. At 17 lbs the DHF still seem noticeably more harsh over the same trail, but also feels pretty firm to the touch, so I guess I'll keep going lower. I'm not bashing square edge stuff at speed, more looking for trail soaking without riding "flat" tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What's the internal width of your wheel?

mtbr member
    What's the internal width of your wheel?
    If you're asking me...i30.

I got out again today, 10 miles of rocky singletrack in a different location. I went for it, dropped the front to 13 and the rear aggressor to 16. MUCH better on the embedded rock trail trash. Weird thing is it seemed to be rolling faster today at lower pressure than I was yesterday at 19/21 (I rechecked before I deflated today)!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Iím also running i30 wheels and have found that I can easily drop the DHF 2.6 up front to 15psi without any issues. The 2.5 Agressor on rear wheel I feel needs about 20psi to avoid rim impact on square edge hits.
    I weigh about 185 pounds ready to ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm 185 on i30 too, I also found 13pis or so to be the sweet spot for max grip in turns (just above the point where it rolls the sidewall over). I run 30-35psi for the straight up fire road climb though, and it's definitely much easier, then lower to 13-15psi for the down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lagerboy View Post
    Iím also running i30 wheels and have found that I can easily drop the DHF 2.6 up front to 15psi without any issues. The 2.5 Agressor on rear wheel I feel needs about 20psi to avoid rim impact on square edge hits.
    I weigh about 185 pounds ready to ride
    I'm 185 on i30 too, I also found 13pis or so to be the sweet spot for max grip in turns (just above the point where it rolls the sidewall over). I run 30-35psi for the straight up fire road climb though, and it's definitely much easier, then lower to 13-15psi for the down.
    Great info! Thank you both! Sounds like I'm on the right track. I'll keep an eye on the rear aggressor pressure. I'm not a super fast guy in the rough stuff, so I can usually avoid the unavoidable, but the aggressor is definitely faster at lower pressure than the 2.4 highroller that came off, those were great grippers but man could you feel them drag! DHF rolls better too. Overall I was flowing through some stuff without pedaling that I would normally need too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Smallish update here. Dropped my 2.6 DHF up front to 14psi today and the Aggressor to 18. Technical, dry and hardpack trail with lots of rocks and roots to navigate and an fast downhill with some jumps.
    Felt very confident and no squirm/tire roll as far as I could tell. I think going lower than 14 will have very little upside though. Trail was slow and technical so rolling resistance wasnít really an issue.
    I should note that I run Enve M630 rims which are great in that they are almost impossible to pinch flat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lagerboy View Post
    Smallish update here. Dropped my 2.6 DHF up front to 14psi today and the Aggressor to 18. Technical, dry and hardpack trail with lots of rocks and roots to navigate and an fast downhill with some jumps.
    Felt very confident and no squirm/tire roll as far as I could tell. I think going lower than 14 will have very little upside though. Trail was slow and technical so rolling resistance wasnít really an issue.
    I should note that I run Enve M630 rims which are great in that they are almost impossible to pinch flat.
    What do you weigh?

Most of my normal riding around KC is dirt, flowing, a few rocky sections and roots here and there. So I would definitely be in the 15/18 range I feel. The casing on that DHF seems stiffer and likes the lower pressure. The ozarks however, completely start to finish embedded rock from golf ball to baby head size, constant chatter. It will have you deflating tires faster than a jilted prom date!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    180 lbs geared up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Does anyone experience bouncing with the 2.6 DHF?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    What's the overall diameter of the 2.6 compared to the 2.5?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxMustang50 View Post
    Iím curious about this too, as I want to run one of these up front on my hardtail, which is meant for 2.8. Want to know if the 2.6 will help minimize a lowered BB.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxMustang50 View Post
    Negligible? Like said above the 2.6 is only a fraction bigger than the 2.5 an when sitting on the bike the tire deforms so it is probably near equal.

Does anyone experience bouncing with the 2.6 DHF?
    No, the casing is pretty thick.

I would not run the 2.6 on a i30mm rim or smaller. The low pressure needs the support of a wide rim for it to be effective.

The 2.6 to rolls much better than the 2.5 (which made me pedal on downhills!)

I ran the 2.6 at ~15psi on a i37 rim and it was outstanding. Currently running a WTB Vigilante 2.6 for moar outstanding-er gription!

P

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

2.6 dhf front rekon 2.6 rear

I just installed a gently used set in 40mm (36i) rim. Replaced chronicle 27.5 3.0f chupa 2.8r. Had pressure 28 and 30 just to seat beads. Lowered pressure on trail. Went for a quick test run at Landahl. My son and I sessioned a little bit. Just trying to beat sunset. Climbing was much easier. Downhill much faster. Not sure where pressure ended up. Just made seat of pants adjustments.

Anyway the dhf measures 65mm on the 36mm iw rim aired up to 28psi.
    Rekon is 66mm on same Vera Terra Oso+ rims. Stock wheels from a fuji.