DHF 2.5 non-WT availability?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

DHF 2.5 non-WT availability?

I can't seem to find non-WT versions of the DHF2.5 anywhere.

I've also read a few posts indicating there is a difference and a few others indicating that they just re-branded the 2.5 to 2.5 WT to clarify that they are for wider rims, so it's the same tire.

I'm a bit confused, as a result. Is the DHF 2.5WT the same as the 2.5 from years past that wasn't labeled WT? If not (and there is a difference), anyone know where you can find them or have they been phased out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'd also be interested in a clarification of the WT designation. When you look at their website, the WT seems to have replaced the non-WT. But it is kind of inconsistent, the DHF in 27.5x2.5 became WT, the DHF in 29x2.5 stayed without WT, but the Shorty in 29x2.5 became WT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The blog on MTBR from yesterday on the 2.6 tire size has some information on the WT designation from Maxxis where they discuss it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Maxxis employee here.

Apologies for the confusion on the WT labeling, it's something we were a bit inconsistent with out of the gates. The tires below have always been WT, dictated by the mold:
    27.5x2.50 Minion DHF

26x2.40 Minion DHRII
    27.5x2.40 Minion DHRII
    29x2.40 Minion DHRII

26x2.50 Shorty
    27.5x2.50 Shorty
    29x2.50 Shorty

27.5x2.60 Rekon
    29x2.60 Rekon

27.5x2.60 Forekaster

27.5x2.60 Ardent Race

27.5x2.60 Minion DHF
    27.5x2.60 Minion DHRII

The 29x2.50 DHF was not WT as it is an older mold but there has been a running change. Newer 29x2.50 DHFs will conform to our WT design process and the old mold is being phased out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Maxxis employee here.

Apologies for the confusion on the WT labeling, it's something we were a bit inconsistent with out of the gates. The tires below have always been WT, dictated by the mold:

27.5x2.50 Minion DHF
    Thanks for the info.

I think this surprises me a bit, because I've known so many folks to run the 2.5 DHF on 26-27mm rims with success.

If I went from running a 2.4 HRII to a 2.5 DHF on a 27mm internal rim, what kind of differences should I expect, if any?

R-P
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Very interesting. Will the DHF 29x2.5WT have an unique item# ? I have the standard DHF 29x2.5 now but would like to try the new WT. How will I know it is WT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    If I went from running a 2.4 HRII to a 2.5 DHF on a 27mm internal rim, what kind of differences should I expect, if any?
    The High Roller II is already really square on a 27mm inner width rim, that's really pushing what we would recommend for width on a HRII. The 2.50WT DHF on the other hand would end up much rounder on a 27mm internal since it was designed around a 35mm inner. Running the DHF on a narrower rim will angle the sideknobs out farther, forcing you to have to lean a bit farther to engage the sideknobs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The High Roller II is already really square on a 27mm inner width rim, that's really pushing what we would recommend for width on a HRII. The 2.50WT DHF on the other hand would end up much rounder on a 27mm internal since it was designed around a 35mm inner. Running the DHF on a narrower rim will angle the sideknobs out farther, forcing you to have to lean a bit farther to engage the sideknobs.
    Wow, interesting. That's good to know.

So what would the middle point be between the two, then? DHF 2.3?

mtbr member
    I am running the DHF 2.50WT on a 25mm internal width front rim. It was not labelled as the WT version from competitive cyclist, but i kept it anyway. I really love it
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Maxxis employee here.

27.5x2.50 Minion DHF

26x2.40 Minion DHRII
    27.5x2.40 Minion DHRII
    29x2.40 Minion DHRII

26x2.50 Shorty
    27.5x2.50 Shorty
    29x2.50 Shorty

27.5x2.60 Rekon
    29x2.60 Rekon

27.5x2.60 Forekaster

27.5x2.60 Ardent Race

27.5x2.60 Minion DHF
    27.5x2.60 Minion DHRII

The 29x2.50 DHF was not WT as it is an older mold but there has been a running change. Newer 29x2.50 DHFs will conform to our WT design process and the old mold is being phased out.
    thanks for participating but Maxxis is a mess. I called Maxxis Germany last year and even they didn't know about WT tires coming (months after official announcement!)

I bought the DHF 27.5 2.5 end of 2016 and was never really sure if it's the WT version or not as there is no WT label on it (why not??)

There are newbies all over the world struggling with your complicated tire nomenclature (DHF 2.3 3C MaxTerra EXO TR...)

There is no proper clarification given on the Maxxis homepage apart from some marketing ********. Don't you see its nearly impossible to see through your product offerings from the standpoint of someone whose life is not just bicycle tires?

Offering tires that are WT even though there's no label indicating that just proves my observation that Maxxis has a huge organisational problem. Straighten out that mess!

It's a miracle how a company operating unprofessionally like that can survive in a competitive market.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    There are newbies all over the world struggling with your complicated tire nomenclature (DHF 2.3 3C MaxTerra EXO TR...)
    I'm not sure that's any different than other tire manufacturers. I meet people trailside who can't remember whether their Nobby Nics are TrailStar or PaceStar and what it means.

I much prefer the granularity offered by Maxxis when selecting tire options and I don't think interpreting them is that difficult:

DHF - Tread
    2.3 - Size
    3C / DC - Triple compound or dual compound
    MaxxTerra/Grip/Speed - Faster rolling, more grip, or middle of the road
    EXO - Sidewall protection
    TR - Tubeless ready

I think anyone struggling to interpret this would struggle to interpret the others, which are even more vague and broad. These are specific and easy to interpret once you understand what they mean, which is something you have to do for other tire manufacturers anyway.

I think the more generic and vague labels do more to confuse than help.

There is no proper clarification given on the Maxxis homepage apart from some marketing ********. Don't you see its nearly impossible to see through your product offerings from the standpoint of someone whose life is not just bicycle tires?

Offering tires that are WT even though there's no label indicating that just proves my observation that Maxxis has a huge organisational problem. Straighten out that mess!

It's a miracle how a company operating unprofessionally like that can survive in a competitive market.
    I don't think railing on an employee that came here to help answer a technical question is really fair. If you have a problem with the way they are handling things, taking it up with customer support is probably a better bet. The person that came here to help with a technical question on these tires took time out of their day to offer clarification, apologize and admit the confusion, and answer the question. I'd venture, based on his response and my experience working in similar organizations, they have the same frustrations, but had little control over the outcome.

Maxxis is a very large organization with over 30k employees, chances are these decisions were made in ways outside of this user's control. Railing on him for these frustrations, when he came here to clarify the marketing BS and offer helpful responses, is really obnoxious. Especially considering they are probably the only ones that can offer some measure of clarification here, where anyone else would just be speculating.

mtbr member
    I don't think railing on an employee that came here to help answer a technical question is really fair. If you have a problem with the way they are handling things, taking it up with customer support is probably a better bet. The person that came here to help with a technical question on these tires took time out of their day to offer clarification, apologize and admit the confusion, and answer the question. I'd venture, based on his response and my experience working in similar organizations, they have the same frustrations, but had little control over the outcome.

Maxxis is a very large organization with over 30k employees, chances are these decisions were made in ways outside of this user's control. Railing on him for these frustrations, when he came here to clarify the marketing BS and offer helpful responses, is really obnoxious. Especially considering they are probably the only ones that can offer some measure of clarification here, where anyone else would just be speculating.
    I'm inclined to agree with everything you said but don't believe the bicycle tires division itself to consist of 30k people.

It's not unlikely that he actually knows someone who's in charge of these things and could make improvements.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My dhf from few months back did not have WT.
    These are my new ones. Art's has both options, at least few weeks ago they did.

DHF 2.5 non-WT availability?-img_20170415_124314%7E3.jpg
    17' Riot
    12' Horsethief
    96' Killer v

R-P
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks! "29x2.5WT", no risk for mistakes!

mtbr member
    I'm inclined to agree with everything you said but don't believe the bicycle tires division itself to consist of 30k people.

It's not unlikely that he actually knows someone who's in charge of these things and could make improvements.
    PMing you.

Is dang happy!
    Any chance there will be a DD casing on a + tire in the near future?
    A 3.0 Minion DD would be sweet for the lift assist crowd and hopefully lighter than the DH boat anchors.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Ok, my fault. I thought you're on 27.5 size
    Last edited by Steel Calf; 04-19-2017 at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm runnig old flows 25.5 inner width with my maxxis 2.5WT and have no issues at all, love Maxxis on my Liteville 301!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Wrong. Read #4 again!

Your DHF is a WT, only the label is missing, which is a bit unfortunate but they're working on it according to the Maxxis guy in this thread.

No, actually that is a fact. But thanks for your opinion

Here let me help You...
    Maxxis employee here.

Apologies for the confusion on the WT labeling, ......

mtbr member
    Oh no - Schwalbe just released new Addix compound to rule the world. Maxxis, you're busted.

Is dang happy!
    You were not kidding. Wrestling Addix: Wrestling Singlets
    Wonder if the lugs on the Hans Dampf will stay on now. I still miss the fat and light Big Betty and wish a 29er flavor would have come about before they retired her.
    Last edited by Mr. Doom; 04-19-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: morepoop
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    But how will you possibly understand their tire nomenclature with 4 different rubber compounds? Your head might just explode!

mtbr member
    tire nomenclature at Schwalbe is pretty straight forward, they don't have things like a nondescript MaxxPro compound

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    You were not kidding. Wrestling Addix: Wrestling Singlets
    Wonder if the lugs on the Hans Dampf will stay on now. I still miss the fat and light Big Betty and wish a 29er flavor would have come about before they retired her.
    Big Betty was the best aggressive rear tire of all time; very surprised when they ditched that design. Hans Dampf is a freakin JOKE compared to a BB!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

FNG
    PMing you.
    Would you mind to PM me as well? I need some professional Maxxis insight, please.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Excuse my ridiculously newb question. I picked up a Giant Trance 2 (2017) a few weeks ago and want to convert to tubleless next week on the stock wheels. I want to put a DHF on the front and Aggressor on the rear. The Aggressor only comes in a 2.3 so no worries there, is a 2.5 DHF too wide? Will that round the tire out too much for a beginner/intermediate/old rider? I do have tons of seat time on an off-road motorcycle, but this mountain bike thing is a little new to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelDave View Post
    Excuse my ridiculously newb question. I picked up a Giant Trance 2 (2017) a few weeks ago and want to convert to tubleless next week on the stock wheels. I want to put a DHF on the front and Aggressor on the rear. The Aggressor only comes in a 2.3 so no worries there, is a 2.5 DHF too wide? Will that round the tire out too much for a beginner/intermediate/old rider? I do have tons of seat time on an off-road motorcycle, but this mountain bike thing is a little new to me.
    What is the internal width of your rims? The 2.5 tires are best on rims that are about 25-35mm internal width, imo. They will work outside of that range, but will have an overly lightbulb or square shape. https://www.dtswiss.com/Resources/Te...sure_Dimension

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So the OLD non WT 29x2.5 which was loved by everyone due to it's larger volume is going to now be lower volume, undersized WT 2.5 like all other Maxxis tyres?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    What is the internal width of your rims? The 2.5 tires are best on rims that are about 25-35mm internal width, imo. They will work outside of that range, but will have an overly lightbulb or square shape. https://www.dtswiss.com/Resources/Te...sure_Dimension
    I think they are 23mm rims (at least that's what the label on them says!).

mtbr member
    I would do a 2.3 tire at the widest. A 2.5 is going to be a lightbulb shape and flop over the side of the rim when run at a desirable low pressure. Thats just my experience. A 2.5 is definitely capable of being mounted on that rim

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I can't seem to find non-WT versions of the DHF2.5 anywhere.

I've also read a few posts indicating there is a difference and a few others indicating that they just re-branded the 2.5 to 2.5 WT to clarify that they are for wider rims, so it's the same tire.

I'm a bit confused, as a result. Is the DHF 2.5WT the same as the 2.5 from years past that wasn't labeled WT? If not (and there is a difference), anyone know where you can find them or have they been phased out?
    I have both and here is my observation:
    The WT seems a much different tire than the old Std. (which they are throwing out).
    I have 27.5x2.6 Std. DHF's and 29x2.5 WT DHF's both mounted up on 34mm int. width rim sets. I switch out on a Hightower.
    Visually, the WT's have a squarer tread, and stiffer sidewalls.
    The Std's. have a rounder profile, softer sidewalls (but still very tough).
    I used a contour guage and caliper to measure the Std. 2.6's and compare it to the WT 2.5's on top and sides.
    These 2 tires are sold at only .1Ē difference in width, the 2.6 width measures 2.54Ē (64.5mm) and the 2.5 width measures 2.4Ē (61mm).
    That all said; I just know that the Std. tires feel like Plus and the WT's feel stiff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DHF 2.5 non-WT availability?-2.6-vs-2.5-tread.jpg  

DHF 2.5 non-WT availability?-2.6-vs-2.5-sidewall.jpg  

DHF 2.5 non-WT availability?-2.6-vs-2.5-width.jpg  

mtbr member
    Maxxis employee here.

27.5x2.50 Minion DHF
    The 27.5 X 2.50 and 27.5 X 2.50 WT tires are listed separately, with different ETRTO and weight numbers on the Maxis site:

27.5X2.50 61-622 60 FOLDABLE 955 3C MAXX TERRA 50 3C/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN

27.5X2.50WT 63-584 60 FOLDABLE 945 3C MAXX TERRA 50 3C/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN

I found this while digging into which model I want on my i30 rim, since "WT tires are optimized for a 35mm inner rim width but are proven to work over a range from 30-35mm inner rim widths, depending on the riderís preference."