Custon built Carbon 29er wheel set- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Custon built Carbon 29er wheel set

I am looking at getting a set of custom built 29er wheels for my TB3. I called Salt Cycles and got a good price on a set of 28mm id w/ DT350 6 bolt, CX Ray spokes. They claim/estimate the weight to be about 1385 grams. They said the carbon hoops come from asia (as most do). 32H

I checked another online shop (speed gear bike) and they offered the same build but on 27mm id hoops from Light Bicycle. There seems to be about a 200 gram difference in total wheel weight. 32H. They were about $100 cheaper too.

Seems to be a significant difference. The Salt cycles wheels seem exceptionally light.

Ideas as to why such a big difference? Anyone get wheels built from either of these places?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I am looking at getting a set of custom built 29er wheels for my TB3. I called Salt Cycles and got a good price on a set of 28mm id w/ DT350 6 bolt, CX Ray spokes. They claim/estimate the weight to be about 1385 grams. They said the carbon hoops come from asia (as most do). 32H

I checked another online shop (speed gear bike) and they offered the same build but on 27mm id hoops from Light Bicycle. There seems to be about a 200 gram difference in total wheel weight. 32H. They were about $100 cheaper too.

Seems to be a significant difference. The Salt cycles wheels seem exceptionally light.

Ideas as to why such a big difference? Anyone get wheels built from either of these places?
    How much do you weigh? Where and how do you ride? Is the goal to have a super light wheelset meant for racing or are you looking for an all-day every day wheelset? It's important to match the rim to the application. If the rim is too light, the fact that it's 32h won't save you from an expensive mistake.

What is the brand of the no name mysterious carbon rim? I wouldn't trust anything I didn't know exactly where it comes from and exactly how much it weighs.

Light Bicycle makes good rims and is a known quantity.

Unless you weigh 125lbs, I wouldn't recommend any wheelset that weighs under 1400g, especially if you don't know what rim it is. It's unlikely to be reliable.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    How much do you weigh? Where and how do you ride? Is the goal to have a super light wheelset meant for racing or are you looking for an all-day every day wheelset? It's important to match the rim to the application. If the rim is too light, the fact that it's 32h won't save you from an expensive mistake.

What is the brand of the no name mysterious carbon rim? I wouldn't trust anything I didn't know exactly where it comes from and exactly how much it weighs.

Light Bicycle makes good rims and is a known quantity.

Unless you weigh 125lbs, I would recommend any wheelset that weighs under 1400g, especially if you don't know what rim it is. It's unlikely to be reliable.
    I weigh about 170lbs. I ride aggressive XC in the southeast. Wooded, rooty trails, small drops/jumps. This will be my only wheel set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thoughts on the LB Recon Pro vs regular Recon wheel?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Thoughts on the LB Recon Pro vs regular Recon wheel?
    Links to the exact rims would be helpful. Assuming this is one? https://www.lightbicycle.com/AM927-a...-rims-mtb.html

The "Pro" description says 3-5% stronger (BFD), lighter, and has a satin finish.

What's the priority, weight, price, looks? What is the difference in price vs weight?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Links to the exact rims would be helpful. Assuming this is one? https://www.lightbicycle.com/AM927-a...-rims-mtb.html

The "Pro" description says 3-5% stronger (BFD), lighter, and has a satin finish.

What's the priority, weight, price, looks? What is the difference in price vs weight?
    Yes, those are the LB wheels I was looking at. I am leaning towards light weight even though I do not race. Basically a light duty trail wheel. I am currently on 27.5'' Enve M60 Forty 40mm id wheels laced to DT blade type spokes and DT 350 hubs w/54T. Not sure what these wheels weigh, I have seen in the mid 1400-1600g area.

Option 1

29" w/28mm id (brand unknown, asian manufactured), DT350, CX ray spokes. I was told 1385g. $1250

Option 2

29" w/27mm id, (light bicycle, recon pro, DT350, CX ray spokes, 1635g, $1148

Option 3

29" w/28mm id, (light bicycle, recon, DT350, CX Ray spokes, 1705g, $998

The seller of option 1 said there is only 3-4 manufactures of carbon wheels. I believe it. However, that does not mean that they are all the same. From what i see, almost everything comes from China/Asia. It is up to a brand to be the face of said product and offer the customer service that goes with it.

Formerly of Kent

Custon built Carbon 29er wheel set

I donít know that Iíd buy a 1700g XC wheelset for $1100+. Thatís highway robbery.

How do you even build a carbon wheelset that heavy for that purpose using 350s?

With a 450g, 590 ERD rim, using DT Swiss Aerolites (CX-Ray equivalent) and Boost 350s with 32h drilling, the DT Swiss spoke calculator says the wheelset would weigh 1616g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Live Free & Ride
    Have you considered the BTLOS? Custom rims and hubs to match the style and weight you may be looking at. Also 4-5 bills less than above with probably the same type of carbon rim, can also go with asym rims here. Check em out!

https://btlos.com/mountain-bike

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...n-1065277.html
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Have you considered the BTLOS? Custom rims and hubs to match the style and weight you may be looking at. Also 4-5 bills less than above with probably the same type of carbon rim, can also go with asym rims here. Check em out!

https://btlos.com/mountain-bike

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...n-1065277.html
    Interesting, never heard of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BTLOS is the retail site for the one manufacturer who makes all the carbon rims for LB, CarbonFan, etc.
    I wouldn't get CXRay spokes for mountain bikes. Lasers are the round version with near the same specs at 1/3 the price per spoke.
    And get brass nipples to avoid the corrosion possibility in a couple years. I'd recommend BTLOS and an asym rim wheelset at least 30mm inner for XC 2.3" tires.
    When they give a plus or minus for a rim weight request something at the low end of the range in the comment box.

Live Free & Ride
    +1 on BTLOS...

Here is a 1670 gram config using i30 asym rims at $776:

Rim Size: 29er
    Series: Premium
    Version: AM
    Finish: Matte
    Weave: UD
    Spoke Count: 28H/28H
    Hub Type: DT SWISS 350
    Ratchet: Upgrade 54T
    Hub Color: Red
    Front Axle: 15*110mm BOOST
    Rear Axle: 12*148mm BOOST
    Freehub: Shimano Microspline
    Brake Interface: Center Lock ( Disc )
    Spoke: Sapim D-Light
    Spoke System: J-bend
    Nipple: Brass Black
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    They have a good website! I just priced the following

premium
    WM i29A
    matte UD
    28H
    DT 240
    54t
    boost
    XD
    6 bolt
    CX ray
    j bend
    brass

1470g $995

$180 less for DT 350

Seems like a really nice wheel. Thank you for sharing that!

I am not sure what I give up or if it even matters to me the 2.6 vs 3.5 mm thickness on the WM I29A vs the WM I30A.

mtbr member
    What's up with red DT Swiss 350's? Must be Chinese knock off's

mtbpete
    Centerlock hubs are significantly lighter than 6-bolt hubs. Also many wheel weight calculators use the weight of 264mm spokes instead of the actual weight of spokes that are likely closer to 290mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by S.D.M.F. View Post
    What's up with red DT Swiss 350's? Must be Chinese knock off's
    I ordered a set of BTLOS wheels and I had the same question about the red color. Their response was that the black with white label is the standard color and red is not available. So even though it currently shows up as an option for red hubs, its not available for the DT-350's.