CushCore XC ... but for Trail/Enduro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

CushCore XC ... but for Trail/Enduro

Anyone else thinking about running the XC version in their Trail/Enduro wheels?!

2.4 and 32mm (inner rim) sounds like it would be compatible with plenty of more capable rims.

The new XC insert removes a lot of material on the rim-side, and is meant for tire widths from 1.8-2.4″, and inner rim widths of 22-32mm. To be offered in 27.5 and 29″ versions, claimed weights will be 140g and 150g respectively.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    They've specifically stated performance wont be the same. I think if you're gonna do it, might as well do it. It might make more sense dropping to a slightly less aggressive tire which will be 100g lighter and still get the same traction? Ive only heard of ppl doing that but dont know who actually did it. Anyone go this route with feedback to share?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Why not just go with Huck Norris? They're cheap and light and it looks like these are more in that design Vs. Cushcore original.

mtbr member
    Haven't heard of the XC version. Check out Rimpact. They're light and improve ride characteristics on at least up to 2.4" tires (on 2.6 they mostly just help with rim strikes).

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Iíve got a regular Huck Norris up front and a DH one on the back and they do the job, BUT while they prevent most pinch flats they donít help that much with ride characteristics so I was wondering if ďmaybeĒ the new CushCore XC was the unicorn weíve been looking for.

I canít imagine a full on lycra dude not bothered by 150g more on each wheel and really think the ďXCĒ appellation is just a marketing way to differentiate the pro version (DH-ish) and the bit less capable but still very good on trail/Enduro bikes.

If anyone has tried them please give us some feedbacks

If I donít get any news within the next few days Iíll order some and put them to trial so we know whatís up

I really think theyíll work as advertised and will add +30g over the Huck Norris, but add some more damping and maybe help in corners ....

Who knows? I will eventually

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yeah, they should have labled them the "Trail" version IMO. XC guys wont be using these...i dont even think they would put in 90g Rimpact inserts.

I presume these have the same density, simply less material/width, but not sure. These might be perfect for the likes of a 2.3 Aggressor.

I'd still expect them to be far better than Huck Norris.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Yeah, they should have labled them the "Trail" version IMO. XC guys wont be using these...i dont even think they would put in 90g Rimpact inserts.

I presume these have the same density, simply less material/width, but not sure. These might be perfect for the likes of a 2.3 Aggressor.

I'd still expect them to be far better than Huck Norris.
    Agreed, Agreed and Agreed

Bodhisattva
    Check out Vittoria air liner.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Check out Vittoria air liner.....
    Thx! Iíve never tried them but they seem to follow other tire inserts logic ... prevent flats and add a little bit of confort, but ...

What I like with the CushCore is the way it pushes against the sides to extend sidewall support and prevent folding too much while cornering at speed.

The Vittoria seem heavier too ...

Vittoria claims that a single Air-Liner insert will weigh between 160g-220g, depending on the size and the diameter you trim it to. However, the Large size insert came in at 247g (27.5in) and 292g (29in), which put these at the heavier end of the scale. .
    Source: https://singletrackworld.com/2018/11...et-protection/

Bodhisattva
    I have both CC and Vittoria (and Huck norris for that matter)

I forgot the exact weight, but the medium (for 31 iw rim with 2.4-2.5 tire 27.5) Vittoria trimed to 27.5 for my rim was lighter than my cushcore. Cushcore weighed in at 250 gm, Vittoria was sub 200.

Vittoria is also far easier to install. It provides sidewall support, although not to the extent of the CC.

At this point, I'm pleased with the Vittoria for its blend of weight, installation ease and sidewall support and the ability to let me lower pressure for traction.

I'm running Vittoria rear, Huck norris in a front (for just a bit of additional impact resistance)

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thank you very much for the feedback, it give a better overview ... so you can choose more wisely

I still want to give the CushCore XC a try but it looks like nobody stock them in Europe at the moment!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It looks like they've removed quite a bit of material where the cushcore contacts the rim which would significantly impact its ability to dampen your ride which one of its strengths and justifications for the added weight. I'd say either do it with cushcore or go with a different product.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    So.....did you get them?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Still out of stock almost everywhere

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    Thx! Iíve never tried them but they seem to follow other tire inserts logic ... prevent flats and add a little bit of confort, but ...

What I like with the CushCore is the way it pushes against the sides to extend sidewall support and prevent folding too much while cornering at speed.

The Vittoria seem heavier too ...

Source: https://singletrackworld.com/2018/11...et-protection/
    Cheers to that!

Robertson
    I also have the Vittoria in the rear of my AM bike, it replaced a Cushcore. Cut to size, the Vittoria was lighter than the cushcore by around 75grams. Way easier to install. Not as good for sidewall support (though better than no insert) but much better rim strike protection; I've busted tires and rims with Cushcore but never even felt a rim strike with the Vittoria running the exact same pressure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hmmm interesting ... thx for the feedback/comparison!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quick update: they are back in stock, so I should get them in about a week or so ... whoop Whoop

Iíll see if:

1) - they are ęcompatibleĽ with 30mm ID rims
    2) - how they compare to the HuckNorris
    3) - do they add something more to your ride and are they worth it

Letís find out pretty soon!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Nino uses tyre noodles. Not much lighter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Nino uses tyre noodles. Not much lighter.
    His inserts are Wayyyy lighter!

54g each in size (S) because heís got narrow wheels (25mm)

Source: https://mbaction.com/meet-the-riders...-schurter/amp/

Source: https://r2-bike.com/PTN-Puncture-Pre...le-RaceLine-29

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    His inserts are Wayyyy lighter!

54g each in size (S) because heís got narrow wheels (25mm)

Source: https://mbaction.com/meet-the-riders...-schurter/amp/

Source: https://r2-bike.com/PTN-Puncture-Pre...le-RaceLine-29
    Nino and Kate are both running 30mm internal rims.
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/08/pro...rc-race-bikes/

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Even if they were running the heavier option of this insert (I doubt it) itís still 90g ... lighter than CushCore XC and probably just enough for their needs.

Despite the name, I still think itís not meant for the XC boys

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Finally received these bad boys!

Will test them this weekend on the second round of the French Enduro Series. If they survive 2 days of racing there, theyíll pass the test

Stay tuned...

PS: theyíre about 40g heavier than the HuckNorris DH (29")

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Installation Report!

Not much to report except that it is exactly like fitting a new tire. Very very simple ...

To be honest I was ready to sweat and swear but not at all.

THE TRICK IS TO PUSH THE TIRE BEAD (on both side) TO PLACE IT ON THE MIDDLE OF THE RIM. (Where the diameter is shorter, to give the tire some slack). Spray soapy water everywhere before the install and youíre good to go! (Everything will slide into place very easily)

It took me about 20mns to install both CushCores. (They are are probably easier to install than regular ones because they are slimmer, I donít know)

Setup

30mm ID carbon rims
    Front tire: Shorty EXO 3C MaxxTerra WT (1.1bar/16psi)
    Rear tire: DHF 2.5 EXO 3C MaxxTerra WT (1.3bar/19psi)

When you only put 16psi in your tire and grab the side to push and pull ... it should twist a fair amount, right?! Well it did before but not anymore

That was one of the goal, to get some lateral stiffness even with low pressures (to prevent the vagueness feel you can get). It seems to be the case, letís try them and find out ...
    Last edited by digev; 06-20-2019 at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The increase in lateral stiffness might allow me to goto a lighter tire to offset the weight. There are lighter casings which has similar aggressive knobs. Seems to be good synergy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Waiting for a pair myself, out og stock here.

Curious on how it preforms, thanks for replying and good luck this weekend!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks man, I appreciate! Hopefully no flats

Theyíre pretty difficult to source in Europe ... had to get them from the US!

Got a few laps on them already just to test them out and .... wait for the full review next Monday hahaha!! Just want to make sure they have your back in real life situations before saying anything.

Goals are:

1 - flat prevention & rim protection (obviously)
    2 - prevent tire roll at low pressure
    3 - dampen vibrations

Not on the list but, are compatible with wide rims and wide tires even if theyíre not marketed as such! And can be used more aggressively than again ... whatís written on the box. I believe so, but let the testing begin !!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

OK. Feedback time!

After dropping about 7500m (25.000ft) in the mountains at race speed this weekend I can confidently say ... these inserts are really good and they are worth a shoot! (They will definitely replace my HuckNorris ... as they are doing a wayyy better job)

At 16psi in the front and 19psi in the back (80kg ready to ride) they keep the tires from rolling and the traction / damping is really good ...

They definitely are trail/enduro inserts and can be used as such on wide rims, large volume tires at high speed on rocky, bumpy terrains ... that was expected but only speculations! after testing them properly I can tell you they work really well on our kind of bikes.

From a marketing point of view I guess they could not be "too close" from their main offering but if you see through the BS, you know who theyíre for

Thanks CushCore for bringing a lighter version of this great tire insert (regardless of whatís written on the packaging)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Are you going to try a lighter casing tire with it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Are you going to try a lighter casing tire with it?
    Thatís already what Iíve got! Maxxis EXO

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    When you compare the Maxxis EXO vs DD weight (for the same tire, compound, etc...), for these 2 popular tires the results are:

The DHF (EXO) + CCXC is still 175grs lighter than the DD version

The Aggressor (EXO) + CCXC is still 50grs lighter than the DD version

Itís a win-win in my book

Maxxis DHF 29x2.5WT (EXO vs DD)

Maxxis Aggressor 29x2.5WT (EXO vs DD)

Source: https://www.maxxis.com/tires/bicycle/mountain

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Ordered a set today, looking forward to swapping out my CC Pro setup for the XC inserts. Time will tell if its a fool hardy experiment to drop half a pound.

Thanks for starting this thread and posting your thoughts.

Nathan

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NateMob View Post
    Ordered a set today, looking forward to swapping out my CC Pro setup for the XC inserts. Time will tell if its a fool hardy experiment to drop half a pound.

Nathan
    Interesting ... I didnít think people would go that way, let us know how it goes please! (Especially how it compares to the pros)

Thanks for starting this thread and posting your thoughts.
    Youíre welcome, always happy to try and share ... like you do

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    When you compare the Maxxis EXO vs DD weight (for the same tire, compound, etc...), for these 2 popular tires the results are:

The DHF (EXO) + CCXC is still 175grs lighter than the DD version

The Aggressor (EXO) + CCXC is still 50grs lighter than the DD version

Itís a win-win in my book

Maxxis DHF 29x2.5WT (EXO vs DD)

Maxxis Aggressor 29x2.5WT (EXO vs DD)

Source: https://www.maxxis.com/tires/bicycle/mountain
    I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions.

In your opinion, is the Cushcore XC + EXO tire combination better than just getting a Double Down tire? What about EXO+?

Were the trails you tested on really rocky? How would you describe the way ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions.
    No at all

In your opinion, is the Cushcore XC + EXO tire combination better than just getting a Double Down tire? What about EXO+?
    it is for me. Lighter and still harder to pinch flat than DD. (you get extra dampening and more rigid sidewalls as well ... compared to the EXO). The only downside??? They donít have an extra layer of protection to help save you from sidewall gashes (Like the DD), but like I said before, 99% of the time I pinch flat my tires, so itís not an issue.

EXO+: Letís put it this way, a friend whoís a MTB guide in the Alps told me they are not worth it because they are heavier than regular EXO but puncture exactly like EXO casings. Havenít tried them so ... (bear in mind they arenít the magic bullet either because they still lack some sidewalls support and they donít do a great job at dampening the high speed chatter)

Were the trails you tested on really rocky? How would you describe the way ride?
    Itís been a few weeks now, and theyíve been on a big mountain adventure, a 2 days enduro race (in the mountains as well) and several rides on other rocky trails (TransProvence trails, Final Ligure trails etc ... what we have here in the south east of France, Italian border) and not once I punctured or lost air pressure. They will see a lot more adventures this summer and Iíll definitely report back at the end of it!

As for the way I ride ... I donít know, I just have fun trying to go fast I guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Interesting ... I didnít think people would go that way, let us know how it goes please! (Especially how it compares to the pros)

Youíre welcome, always happy to try and share ... like you do
    Ill post up once i get them in and mounted. I subscribe 100% to the logic that these are for trail/enduro use rather than XC riders. I'm only about 160lbs fully kitted so i think i can get away with using a slightly less beefy insert but dont want to mess with other inserts that only help with pinch flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    What about EXO+?

No at all

EXO+: Letís put it this way, a friend whoís a MTB guide in the Alps told me they are not worth it because they are heavier than regular EXO but puncture exactly like EXO casings. Havenít tried them so ... (bear in mind they arenít the magic bullet either because they still lack some sidewalls support and they donít do a great job at dampening the high speed chatter)

Itís been a few weeks now, and theyíve been on a big mountain adventure, a 2 days enduro race (in the mountains as well) and several rides on other rocky trails (TransProvence trails, Final Ligure trails etc ... what we have here in the south east of France, Italian border) and not once I punctured or lost air pressure. They will see a lot more adventures this summer and Iíll definitely report back at the end of it!

As for the way I ride ... I donít know, I just have fun trying to go fast I guess.
    I run EXO+ casings and havent had any issues, if you look at the Maxxis site the specs for the E+ tires are only about 50grams per tire. I like them, compared to a standard EXO casing tire you can feel the difference in the hand and on the bike they dont seem to ping/give as much. I have abused them in chunky scree and rock in the southwest (NM/CO) and i dont ride very elegantly even for being a lighter rider.

The idea that they have an extra layer bead to bead yet still puncture the same as EXO seems silly. I agree they arent indestructable but they dont advertise them as such. I hope they start making more tires with the E+ option, i think its perfect for use with Cushcore.

Nathan

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Bumping this thread up as I'm looking for more user feedback on these. Thinking about going CushCore XC front and Pro back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have gotten mine and i like it alot.

Dampen feel and grip is good. Bit more swimming and when i loose grip i dont get the same feedback as when i was running higer presure

I know top racers have stoped using inlets and are using tires with better sides (dd, sg and equliant) with Just lower presure. Same weight and better side stiffnes. Weight is around the same.

mtbr member
    Further question on the CC-XC: Is it similar in width to the normal CC Pro? It's spec'd to be used with slightly narrower rims, so wondering if it'd be inadvisable to run the XC with 35mm ID rims. Might it be able to be pushed aside and fail to cushion a pinch because the rim is too wide?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

I measured them at 48mm wide so they should cover your 35mm ID rim and still provide "some" lateral stiffness to the tire.

FYI (Inner Rim Width)

CC Pro: 22mm-35mm
    CC XC: 22mm-32mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I knew i had a slow rear leak but it dropped from 16 to 10 in 4hrs. Good thing i had cushcore, it saved my rim I'm sure as i was smashing rocks. I would give it pause when considering xc cush for enduro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Felix Burke Wins 2019 BC Bike Race on CushCore XC

https://m.vitalmtb.com/news/press-re...-CushCore,2979

Formerly of Kent
    I'll be buying a set of either S or M 29er PTN Rokkline soon. I'll post up here when I get them and have some riding time on them.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'll be buying a set of either S or M 29er PTN Rokkline soon. I'll post up here when I get them and have some riding time on them.
    Wrong thread?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Itís been 2 months since Iíve installed these inserts ... and itís about time I change my rear tire so how do they look like after 60days of abuse, several trips in the Alps, a few races and careless riding?! ... time to find out

Completely cooked DHF WT 2.5 EXO MaxxTerra

CushCore XC

I was very surprised to find many cuts/impact marks all over the insert. I thought they were made to last (almost) forever not like the cheaper/thinner ones!

But when I think about what theyíve been through ... it makes me laugh because after 2 months of careless use (that was the whole point of testing them), to see what they could withstand theyíve been super reliable!!

Goal 1 (Flat protection)

I did not get a single flat! None, zero

Thatís a very positive outcome and Iím very impressed, when I look at all the impacts theyíve saved my ass more than a few times LOL! just for that I will keep them until they are too trashed and need to get replaced ... Probably by new ones

Goal 2/3 (Prevent tire roll, dampen vibrations, increase grip)

Dampening the small chatter and increasing the grip is all down to the low pressures you can run in your tires, so yes it works great because the insert got your back and you donít get the wallowy feel you normally would.

The perfect pressures for me were:

Front tire: Shorty EXO 3C MaxxTerra WT (1bar/14.5psi)
    Rear tire: DHF 2.5 EXO 3C MaxxTerra WT (1.3bar/19psi)

Iím 80kg ready to ride and the rims ID are 30mm.

I can honestly tell you to get some if you are not 100% happy about the inserts you have or want a first good experience with tire inserts to set and forget. While keeping the weight relatively low

Project CushCore XC for Trail/Enduro bikes is over and Iím glad it worked out like we thought it would

Have fun boys and I hope it will help some of you enjoy their rides even more

mtbr member
    May 2017
    14psi in a front tyre....surely you jest?? 19 you could get away with with the cushcore but even that is quite low imo but 14.....no way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    No Iím not! Letís call it 15psi if you prefer I know thatís quit low but it works for me ...

mtbr member
    Yeah an interesting effect of the CushCore is how much it reduces total air volume inside the tire. The effect of this is like adding a bunch of tokens to a fork, the internal pressure of the tire ramps up much faster when something compresses it from outside. So even if resting pressure is low, it won't bottom out to the rim as easily, PLUS there's the Core in there to pad the rim if you do.

That said, 14PSI is really damn low. I'm at 19/22 front/rear (190lbs rider) with a Cushcore XC front and standard rear. Loving this combo.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I thought that as I had dropped 12kg of bodyweight (78kg now), I could maybe drop a corrosponding % of tyre pressure.
    Nope.
    18f/20r on the rigid SS and 20f/22r on the fully are about as low as I can get (2.35 29er tyres).

Straight line, I could go lower (never dinged a rim), but support in the corners is my limiting factor and the full CushCore is too much weight and $$$ for me.

I've also never seen the XC version for sale here.

Robertson
    Meh, I'd still take a Vittoria airliner over this. Almost the same weight, better flat protection (even regular Cushcore has been insufficient for me), more durable. Doesn't give you side wall support for cornering though if you care about that (I don't)

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Meh, I'd still take a Vittoria airliner over this. Almost the same weight, better flat protection (even regular Cushcore has been insufficient for me), more durable. Doesn't give you side wall support for cornering though if you care about that (I don't)
    Sidewall support at lower pressures is why I'd give them a go.
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 08-23-2019 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

''With the CushCore, I was running between 17psi and 18.5psi in the back, and between 18psi and 19psi up front.'' Much lower numbers than the 22 to 23psi that he was running without CushCore.

ďI'm super stoked, now it's time to party!Ē Ė Felix Burke
    Source: https://m.vitalmtb.com/news/press-re...-CushCore,2979

Itís not the first time I see people putting that much pressure into their tires with "CushCores".

Around 16/17 in the front and 18/19 in the rear. I know it sounds crazy but it works ... people tend to over pump their tires, an old tradition or belief we inherited from the road cyclists. (Because it works on asphalt, but not off-road)

Our tires need to deform to go fast ... otherwise theyíll deflect and bounce. How much depends on what you want/like/ride/weigh ... thatís when testing and writing down those numbers come handy. Not a very difficult exercise.

Even whiteout inserts I tend to run very low pressures and it makes a ton of difference in comfort, grip/braking! What do you risk? A puncture! Not a very expensive price to pay for "maybe" improving the overall experience on your bike. People spend hundreds on Fork tuning (and I do as well) but if you run too much pressure in your tires itís counterproductive and it will eventually decrease/ruin the benefit of everything you do/improve above the wheel!

Thatís one of the rare free test we can do on our bikes and in my opinion it makes a huuuge difference.

Do some testing, youíll be surprised!

Have a nice weekend guys

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Lot of good points here! I've ran the original cushcore and also the Rimpact...but not the Cushcore XC. Original Cush was great, and I too ran really low pressures typically...something like 16/18. On rocky enduro runs, I could feel the softened rim impacts and I knew I was getting the most out of my bike...it was like adding 10mm of suspension...at least. But I tried the light weight Rimpact...I suppose they did something, but not much...they simply weren't wide enough, and the slices you see in the pic above were on the absolute/literal edge and the lacked the sidewall support I loved on th Cush.

So now, post major surgery and a bunch of broken bones, I'm focusing on "tral" or "aggressive trail" riding...I'm thinking the Cush XC should be the perfect solution for the back tire so I dont have to run so much damn pressure...in agreement with Digev on that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I found Shoe Goo to be perfect for patching those dings...in case the rim were to strike in the same spot again later...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Nice tip, thank you for sharing it

Iíve circled the impacts with a black marker in order to "count" the new ones. Cause I still donít know if many of the previous hits where done during the very low pressure testing phases (Iíve been down to 15psi in the back) or if they are genuine strikes from the actual pressure I run (18/19psi)! Next time Iíll use you tip because Iím not sure the drawings will stay on with the sealant, rubbing etc ... weíll see

I wish you a speedy recovery, stay strong think bike

mtbr member
    Disagree and that article misses the main point about EXO+ imo. While I agree that there isn't really any noticeable increase in sidewall support, the 120tpi casing is a noticeable improvement. The EXO+ casing tires conform better to rocky terrain and IMO, provide better feedback on the breakaway point then EXO tires do. I also find that EXO+ casing tires aren't quite as sensitive to getting the exact pressure dialed in as EXO... meaning I can be 1 psi off my preferred settings and it's harder to perceive then on a regular 60tpi EXO casing. The difference isn't huge, but 120tpi casing tires are for sure better then 60tpi tires in many ways.

Anyway, back to cushcore. I mounted up a set of cuschcore XC inserts for my park setup for my megatower. I'm running 30mm IW wheels with a 2.5 Assegai EXO+ in front and a 2.4 DHR 2 EXO+ in the rear. I'm waiting on a 2.4 Dissector to come in to replace the DHR2, but this will have to do for now.

I found the cushcore inserts very easy to install and it didn't really add more then 3-5 minutes per wheel/tire to mount them up. If you're the type of person that mounts tires by paying close attention to having the bead in the nipple/rim bed, then the process is the same and just as easy.

Overall I'm stoked to give them a shot. I'm 185lbs geared and over the last two years I've had quite a bit of progression to my riding. I used to be able to run 25f/26r for tire pressures and in the last 8-12 months I've had to increase the pressures to 27f/30r minimum as I've folding sidewalls over enough to hear the tire chafing on itself, and I've even exposed some of the threads on the sidewalls in the process. Having to run 30psi in back really makes things harsh at places like mammoth, northstar and some of the extreme chunk in my local routes (laguna).

I was faced with the same choice that I think a lot of us are... which is move to a double down, or wtb tough style casing for a hit of 200ish grams or try some tire inserts with something like an exo+. I've got a trip to N* scheduled for next week and I'm hoping to be able to run more reasonable pressures there like 26-27 front and 27-28 rear. I have a feeling that I will likely have to just bite the bullet and run double down rear tires on my enduro bikes from here on out, but the cushcore seems like an option that provides a few more tangible benefits then just going to a beefier casing tire. IE, increased rim protection and vibration damping along with the shared benefit (between DD and cc equipped setups) of increased sidewall support, lower pressures and flat protection (rim strike flats that is).

I'll report back with my results after my N* trip. I am going to order up a DD casing dhr2 to try out as well, so I can determine what the best of those options are that come with a 150-160g weight penalty.

mtbr member
    I headed up to Whistler last week, running a CC XC front in a DHF-EXO and a CC rear in an Aggressor Exo. Set to 21/24PSI for my ~190lbs weight.

Second run of the trip, I managed to put a large gash in my front tire landing a high speed drop into rocks. Plugged it and limped out. I did not observe a gash in the cc, so I suspect that either this was not a pinch (presumably a sharp rock could just puncture an Exo casing if pressures are low and landing is hard) or the CC-XC got pushed out of the way by a lateral impact.
    Given that experience, I swapped to an Assegai Exo+ front and Dissector DH rear, still with CCs, similar pressures. Installing the DH casing over a standard CC was not super easy, but got it done.

That setup was AWESOME for the rest of the trip, great grip, nice damped feel to the rear, zero flats. Obviously not a light setup though, rear wheel alone had about 1500g of rubber between core and tire.

My current take is that the CC-XC is a great trail riding setup, within limits. Full CC definitely improves both flat protection and feel to a much greater degree, but the CC-XC is way better than nothing. Going forward I think a CC-XC f/r with Exo or Exo+ will be my go-to setup for aggressive trail riding, but I'll use the full CC and heavier tires for the park.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Awesome reports guys! Real life experience and feedback is the best ... thanks for sharing

PS: About the EXO+. Iíve never tried them but pretty much all the the guys I know who tried them arenít too excited about this new casing ... so, to me the graph in that article today was like ęWTF?Ľ, why bother if itís so close to the EXO. But hey ... youíve got them on you bike so you surely know better

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

mtbr member
    Awesome reports guys! Real life experience and feedback is the best ... thanks for sharing

PS: About the EXO+. Iíve never tried them but pretty much all the the guys I know who tried them arenít too excited about this new casing ... so, to me the graph in that article today was like ęWTF?Ľ, why bother if itís so close to the EXO. But hey ... youíve got them on you bike so you surely know better

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!
    I think from a sidewall protection perspective, your buddies are right. They really don't add all that much. The kind of hit/object that was going to trash an EXO casing tire, is also going to trash an EXO+ casing tire. Maybe you get 10% more protection out of it, and for the weight, it's likely worth it. However I don't think EXO+ is the type of thing where some one that was needing double downs or dh tires in a given terrain, will now be able to get away with exo+.

Who knows, maybe exo+ along with a cc xc insert will be enough for some people. I hope I'm one of those people, but I highly doubt it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Northstar will definitely be a good testing ground (even if youíll push the limit of what their for. Both the EXO and CCXC), after seing the videos from last WE EWS ... those rock gardens are "Wooow"! I would definitely pack a DD as well

Let us know how it went! Have fun out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Second run of the trip, I managed to put a large gash in my front tire landing a high speed drop into rocks. Plugged it and limped out.
    Quick Tip: If a gash/hole/cut is too large for a normal plug.

You can use that instead! (Tire mushrooms)

https://www.amazon.com/Puncture-Mush.../dp/B07GN6YJT8

OK you still have to put it from the inside so itís less practical than a normal plug but it covers a lot more surface and itís not prone to move or escape because itís trapped from the inside with the tire pressure pushing on it ... and itís glued

Iím using 2 on a "used once and trashed DHF" I thought was dead and so far so good. Nothing to report it just works ...

Good to have in your toolbox and maybe keep 1 along with the "regular" plugs you carry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    I think from a sidewall protection perspective, your buddies are right. They really don't add all that much. The kind of hit/object that was going to trash an EXO casing tire, is also going to trash an EXO+ casing tire. Maybe you get 10% more protection out of it, and for the weight, it's likely worth it. However I don't think EXO+ is the type of thing where some one that was needing double downs or dh tires in a given terrain, will now be able to get away with exo+.

Who knows, maybe exo+ along with a cc xc insert will be enough for some people. I hope I'm one of those people, but I highly doubt it.
    My hope with EXO+ is that it will help with ďsidewall fatigue.Ē By this I mean the phenomenon wherein running lower pressures (e.g. with a CC) leads to cross-hatched stretch/wear marks in the sidewall, and eventually to the sidewall getting kinda threadbare and prone to leaks and tears. So far so good, having thrashed an Assegai EXO+ all over the Whistler bike park for 4 days at 21 PSI...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Haven't tried EXO+ so can't speak to it but this graph is dumb/misleading. It's not based on anything or any tests.

Really bad way of saying that EXO+ has similar sidewall support/damping to regular EXO which is not a surprise.

Takeaway here is that if EXO with Cushcore has worked well for you, than EXO+ will add some slash/puncture for minimal weight/minimal change in feel...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by croakies View Post
    Haven't tried EXO+ so can't speak to it but this graph is dumb/misleading. It's not based on anything or any tests.

Really bad way of saying that EXO+ has similar sidewall support/damping to regular EXO which is not a surprise.

Takeaway here is that if EXO with Cushcore has worked well for you, than EXO+ will add some slash/puncture for minimal weight/minimal change in feel...
    Ha ha, yeah, I hadnít clicked through but youíre right. As far as I can tell that graph is just their ďby feelĒ illustration of the attributes of the tires, no testing or numbers involved at all!

mtbr member
    Just had my first ride with a CCXC out front (didn't feel like removing the Rimpact in the rear). I definitely noticed improved damping and was able to drop the pressure 3psi. I'm not totally sure if these are worth the weight for my local trails but the reduction in sharp impacts is pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Just had my first ride with a CCXC out front (didn't feel like removing the Rimpact in the rear). I definitely noticed improved damping and was able to drop the pressure 3psi. I'm not totally sure if these are worth the weight for my local trails but the reduction in sharp impacts is pretty nice.
    Do the same for the rear and never look back, theyíre worth it!

mtbr member
    Been running CushCore XC out front for last few months and just pinch flatted and ding my carbon rim bead the other day, glad I did not crack the rim. Switched the front back to a Nukeproof ARD, which has a lot more impact protection at the same weight.

I don't think there is enough material in CushCore XC for any type of aggressive trail/enduro riding. Think they probably work well for light trial/xc riding with narrow rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Do what works for you

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    my Nukeproof ARD's have started to expand so I am wondering about trying the cushcore pro's or the cushcore xc. The xc seem to be more inline with the weight of the nukeproof ard, but without the issues. I run a 2.6" DHF exo+ on the front and a 2.4" Dissector exo on the rear. Do you think the xc is enough to support a 2.6?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gillyske View Post
    my Nukeproof ARD's have started to expand so I am wondering about trying the cushcore pro's or the cushcore xc. The xc seem to be more inline with the weight of the nukeproof ard, but without the issues. I run a 2.6" DHF exo+ on the front and a 2.4" Dissector exo on the rear. Do you think the xc is enough to support a 2.6?
    No, 2.3 -2.4 on 30mm rims is about as big as you want to go if you're looking for sidewall support.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by joecx View Post
    No, 2.3 -2.4 on 30mm rims is about as big as you want to go if you're looking for sidewall support.
    Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    CCXC works well on 2.5 tires. 2.6 tires though are usually higher volume and lighter construction so I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    CCXC works well on 2.5 tires. 2.6 tires though are usually higher volume and lighter construction so I'm not sure.
    Yep! Running those inside 2.5WT tires on 30 ID rims since the beginning of this thread and it works great ... probably less sidewall support than with narrower tires but still a lot more that with regular inserts (because they donít provide any)