Cushcore Kit Review- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cushcore Kit Review

I'm just going to open this thread up for myself and other to leave their opinions on this system.

I bought the kit directly from Cushcore. They shipped very quickly and answered an email I sent about valve stem length quickly as well. They were offering 35mm stems but have since switched to 55mm stems in all kits.

The kit arrived in just a couple days and when I unboxed the nice package and inside was instructions, decals, invoice, cushcores and stems. The stems are literally Stan's 55mm stems with slots cut into the bottom of them. Now that I know this I can simply replace my stems (if needed) by using a cutoff wheels and any stem I choose.

I am waiting for my wheels to arrive so I can give anyone a ride review but I think this will be a really cool product if it works as advertised. I like lower pressures, I break wheels when I do, so my fingers are crossed that this will be the answer I'm looking for.

I'm with stupid
    Just wondering, why the choice of a lighter tire and cush core instead of a more beefy casing tire like a super gravity or DD or Grid tire? same weight and a tougher tire all around. Or are you blowing up wheels with a Dual ply tire already?

mtbr member
    My question would be if it eliminates tire squirm at lower pressures? Say below 25 psi 2.35 rear tire on a 30mm id rim.

If it does as reported we may have something here.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Alright, I will not be getting my new wheel set in time for the race (that I don't plan on winning by a long shot) so I decided to install the system in my old wheel set. The wheels are a LB 38mm (32.6mm ID) front and an Ibis 938 rear. The reason for the 938 rear is I destroyed the LB38 a couple years back. I was dinging wheels pretty regularly on my old E29er because I just ran too low of pressure on the terrain and speeds I was riding. I have never ran into a problem in the front but the rear... I am an abuser.

I'm about 210lbs kitted and have been running the Geax Goma 2.4 TNT for quite some time now. I love the traction around 24-25psi but I have to run at bare minimum 27 to get away with the rocky chunk of Tucson. Anything lower than 23 and I start to feel some squirm.

About the install... HOLY MOTHER OF PEARLS what a PIA. I had all the recommended materials and equipment to get this thing done according to CushCore. But in the end it just takes brute force and curse words. An extra set of hands would have been gold.
    In the end what I found easiest for me was to install the tire and seat the bead. Break the bead on one side and peel the tire off. I used a rake with a rubber handle on the end to stand on and pin the wheel to the ground with the CushCore in the rim. From the bottom of one side I worked the foam up and around with a load of hand force until I was able to get the CushCore around the rim.Then the REAL fun began. It was painful to get the tire bead into the spoke channel to get the bead over the lip. And the Geax tires are tight to start with. Loads of sweating, cursing, and soapy water was used to get the tire on. There was no way to put sealant in there before hand with out making a huge mess so I installed the Orange Seal through the valve stem. I guess we will see how that works out.

I don't care too much about weight. My bike, an Evil Wreckoning, is no weight weeny so I don't care if it slows me down a bit. I'm never going to win a race so for me its all about fun within my abilities. I find a softer tire much more enjoyable.

I'll report back after this weekend and again after a month or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Jesus, that alone puts me off!

mtbr member
    I just put mine on yesterday. 38mm Noble 27.5 rims. I used a zip tie on one end of the Cushcore and worked my way around. Installed in less than a minute. The tires were another story. I used 3 tire levers. 2 metal ones and 1 Crankbrothers Speedier Lever. Use the hook side to hold the bead in place then use the metal levers to pry onto rim. Plastic lever are useless. Also use lots of lube. More the better. I was indoors, so my wife would have killed me if I had anymore more soapy water everywhere

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have been running CC f/r in my Wrecker for better than a month now. My gf is running it in the rear of her Wrecker.

Story line looks something like this:

I migrated to DD casing on Maxxis tires to eliminate squirm and the need to reduce stoopid high pressures. That DD also adds a bit of sidewall protection was a bonus. Started racing last year...the speed difference between play riding and riding for time had me exploding carbon hoops, even up to 38 psi on the rear (I am 215lbs before breakfast tacos). My strategy was one of rim protection, CC seemed to be the most robust offering. In the process, I dropped DD casings, theorizing that the outward pressure of the CC would help with sidewall protection. Net weight gain is about 60g per end. Been running CC f/r for about 6 weeks now from bike park to chunky enduro lines, while i continue to drop pressure. I have had some impacts where I am wincing from the cockpit in anticipation of a rim strike...there is thud, but nothing like the blood curdling sound of a rock on carbon strike.

Having a moto background and changing 18" rear tires, CC is no sweat to install. Step #1, pick up your shop levers, and hide them. They are useless. Step #2, find some steel core tire levers. Step #3, get a 5 gallon bucket to work on as a tire stand.

I can have standard and non DD casing tires on/off in about 5 minutes, no swearing involved, and way faster than a moto tire.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    My question would be if it eliminates tire squirm at lower pressures? Say below 25 psi 2.35 rear tire on a 30mm id rim.

If it does as reported we may have something here.
    It does pretty well. The shape provides a fair amount of sidewall support.

I posted about it in the tire insert thread, but I've ridden down 2/3 of a DH park trail on a flat rear with CC. It worked just fine until I got overconfident and cornered hard enough to peel the bead off.

mtbr member
    If you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS... I put cushcore in my Flow MK3 with a DHF EXO with only my hands. No levers. Use lube and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Wire bead DH casing tires are a different story, but they always suck.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    If you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS... I put cushcore in my Flow MK3 with a DHF EXO with only my hands. No levers. Use lube and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Wire bead DH casing tires are a different story, but they always suck.
    how are you forcing the bead under the CC and into the valley without a tire lever? at the 2min mark in the instructional video it specifically illustrates using a tire lever to force the bead under the CC and into the valley of the rim.....

for me, i eliminate the rollining it under with my hands step and go straight to forcing the bead down into the valley with the back end of a tire lever....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    how are you forcing the bead under the CC and into the valley without a tire lever? at the 2min mark in the instructional video it specifically illustrates using a tire lever to force the bead under the CC and into the valley of the rim.....

for me, i eliminate the rollining it under with my hands step and go straight to forcing the bead down into the valley with the back end of a tire lever....
    I installed the cushcore, seated one half of bead by pushing it on getting it to the center of the rim (between the rim and CC). Poured sealant in the tire at this point (I Lubed the heck out of the tire inside and out and the cushcore). Getting the tire completely on I just worked around and when it got tight I went to the opposite side of the wheel and other side of tire and made sure that part of the tire was in the middle of the rim. Doing this the bead popped on with very little effort. Follow the directions exactly and use a lot of lube. I have CC in both my enduro bike and my big bike now. DD casing and true DH casing is much more difficult. EXO was easy.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I installed the cushcore, seated one half of bead by pushing it on getting it to the center of the rim (between the rim and CC). Poured sealant in the tire at this point (I Lubed the heck out of the tire inside and out and the cushcore). Getting the tire completely on I just worked around and when it got tight I went to the opposite side of the wheel and other side of tire and made sure that part of the tire was in the middle of the rim. Doing this the bead popped on with very little effort. Follow the directions exactly and use a lot of lube. I have CC in both my enduro bike and my big bike now. DD casing and true DH casing is much more difficult. EXO was easy.
    Interesting. I found little difference between EXO and DD casings, both were super easy. Wire bead, I could see that being a bit more of a challenge....

mtbr member
    Interesting. I found little difference between EXO and DD casings, both were super easy. Wire bead, I could see that being a bit more of a challenge....
    Weird. I have DH casing on the rear of my big bike (27.5) and a DD front. On my Enduro 29 I have DH casing rear and EXO front.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    CushCore experiment continues to be trouble free. Was actually thinking about weight gain/loss.

+260g x 2 (Cushcore itself)
    -200g x 2 (moving to EXO from DD)
    -200g x 1 (not carrying tube any longer, still carrying plug kit)
    520g - 600g = net -80g of weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the real question is: how do you feel about the way it rides?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    That's a good question, and one I may not be able to answer. I changed so many things at once. First was I moved over to the Push spring for my fox 36 at the same time as I cracked a(nother) carbon hoop. I immediately started over inflating (even w/ cush core) to limp a set of hoops along until I got a new set built. The new set are we are 1. Now I've gone back down to (below) reasonable pressure (26f/28r) and I haven't thought about feel at all....everything feels dialed. Is it the ACS3? Is it Cush? Is it We Are 1? Is it placebo? Not sure.....but traction and feel have been next level.
    Last edited by tdc_worm; 10-17-2017 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^ this much is clear- you throw a boat load of money at your bike/s haha.

beater
    The reported effect of damping out small high frequency chatter is real. It's pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    do you feel that it enhances the quality of your ride? do you ride faster as a result?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I installed them on my hardtail running minion ss front and peyote rear tire. I weight 155lbs and was running 24/27 psi. Even at 27psi I was still folding tire in corning and bottoming out lightly every once in a while (cracked my rim) but any higher and its a rough ride. Im a fairly aggressive rider.

Am now running 20/22psi with cushcore and the ride is just so much better. Tire does not fold in corners at all, ride is much smoother which is appreciated on a hardtail, and the ride really does feel damped! It's strange at first.

Can tell the bike keeps its speed/has lower rolling resistance in high frequency/low amplitude terrain(think roots/braking bumps) and there is a also better control at limit of cornering traction. You do feel the added weight though but it is completely worth it for me.

So much so that my full suspension with significantly more travel feel like it can only absorb mid and large amplitude bumps and am now looking forward to get it installed there as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone interested in splitting a set of 27.5"? I only need this in the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Anyone interested in splitting a set of 27.5"? I only need this in the rear.
    You can buy individuals.

CushCore Single ‚ÄĒ CushCore

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    do you feel that it enhances the quality of your ride? do you ride faster as a result?
    for me, yes, but its hard to say what percentage is attributable to fork vs CC vs WR1 wheelbuilds. but i also train my ass off and i practice drills and do clinics. i get faster every ride, but there are so many ingredients in the which's brew that its hard to isolate one out. bottom line, is I am realizing that I don't think about rough any more....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    for those concerned with ease of mount and removal of tires, while the initial fitment is super tight, the Cush Core does stretch, to some degree, making subsequent tire changes easier and easier.

mtbr member
    Just finished mounting up some Cushcore; holy $%*! shit that was hard! Getting the cushcore on was bad, but mounting the tires was. I have 35i mm asymmetric rims, and the long side of the rim was ridiculously hard. Getting the tire bead in the center channel is key, but I found it really difficult to do this because the cushcore kept pushing it out of the channel.

After about 45 mins, I finally got the first tire mounted, only to realize that I mounted the tire backwards. Unbelievable! Removing the tire was also quite difficult, but the video instructions on the CC website made it possible.

Hoping to get a shakedown ride in tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by croakies View Post
    I installed them on my hardtail running minion ss front and peyote rear tire. I weight 155lbs and was running 24/27 psi. Even at 27psi I was still folding tire in corning and bottoming out lightly every once in a while (cracked my rim) but any higher and its a rough ride. Im a fairly aggressive rider.

Am now running 20/22psi with cushcore and the ride is just so much better. Tire does not fold in corners at all, ride is much smoother which is appreciated on a hardtail, and the ride really does feel damped! It's strange at first.

Can tell the bike keeps its speed/has lower rolling resistance in high frequency/low amplitude terrain(think roots/braking bumps) and there is a also better control at limit of cornering traction. You do feel the added weight though but it is completely worth it for me.

So much so that my full suspension with significantly more travel feel like it can only absorb mid and large amplitude bumps and am now looking forward to get it installed there as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    I suspect running 20/22 vs 24/27 is because you have nearly half the air chamber now:

Name:  3D--Cobra.png
Views: 6354
Size:  54.3 KB

It's like adding tokens to your tire is it not? Running 24/27 with CC would feel much more harsh than without I would suspect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anyone go really low with pressures, like 10-15 psi?

mtbr member
    I'm interested in hearing more opinions regarding ride quality with the cushcore, as well whether people run them front and rear.

Thanks
    E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have had my Cush Core inserts for 6 months . Cush Core installed them for me in Oregon on my Remedy 27.5. I couldn't tell a huge difference , the side wall support may have helped some in the corners, ride quality was not a huge difference either. A couple of days ago I needed to change my front tire so this was my first attempt to take off the tire and put a new tire on. It was a major PIA ass to break the bead I almost gave up and cut the tire. Bontrager rims are hard enough to break the bead with no Cush Core. So I put the new tire on with out the Cush Core to see if I could really tell a big difference . After a few rides it was not a huge difference in ride quality or cornering , there was a difference but not huge.On one rocky decent I could feel less cushion but I will repeat not a huge difference. Today I needed to put a new tire on the rear. I thought I would be a bit better at breaking the bead since I did the first one a few weeks ago. NO Way , I ended up cutting the tire off. My take on these Cush Cores is if your a racer and you need every bit of edge on your competition this may help. If your an average rider like me the hassles you may encounter with set up and installing new tires and not to mention trying to fix a flat on the trail forget it. Its just not worth it for me . I could use my plug kit to repair a flat on the trail , If I had to put a tube in it with the Cush Cores I would just try and ride it out flat. I have to add I may not be the best at reviewing products just my feed back. Anyone want to buy these they are for sale with Valve stems 27.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark59 View Post
    Anyone want to buy these they are for sale with Valve stems 27.5
    Mark, thanks for the information. Very informative.
    E

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mark59 View Post
    I have had my Cush Core inserts for 6 months . Cush Core installed them for me in Oregon on my Remedy 27.5. I couldn't tell a huge difference , the side wall support may have helped some in the corners, ride quality was not a huge difference either.
    That's interesting especially because your experience is quite different than mine.
    I find the ride with cushcore to be significantly different than without. The first descent I did I thought I was on the wrong trail because it seemed so much smoother than I remembered. For me, there is a definite increase in the feeling of traction and a less harsh ride when hitting things at speed.

It does seem to make the bike a bit more sluggish though. I put in a faster and lighter tire but the sensation remained. It could be the weight of the insert but I think its partly to do with how the insert feels. Its weird. I both really like it and don't. You can feel the insert in every pedal stroke. It feels like you put a giant foam donut in your rear tire. Which you did.

I am not afraid of changing tires with it. Yes the first tire (a DHF) was challenging. But it was good practice and now its barely harder than installing a tire without the insert. I put in a Ground Control grid with just my hands recently, no levers.

I just have it in the rear for now but I'm curious to try in the front eventually.

mtbr member
    Thanks ac1000!

mtbr member
    I also found a fairly different in ride quality pre/post cushcore. I initially set-up the tires at 5 psi less than I usually do per Cushcore recommendations. The trail chatter was substantially reduced and traction was much increased. It made my 2.3 tires feel like plus tires, but more precise when cornering. However, it felt really sluggish, which I attributed to the added weight of the cushcore. Next I played around with tire pressure, and settled on 1-2 psi less than what I ran before cushcore. Now, I don't notice them feeling sluggish (though I'm usually not very sensitive to weight), but they still mute the trail chatter well, and feel great when cornering hard. So I think the sluggish feeling had more to do with the pressure being too low and the tires dragging from too much rolling resistance.

They were really hard to install, and I don't even carry a spare tube anymore because there is no way I'd be able to take off the tire and put in a tube trailside. I saw a youtube video of someone who rode a rooty trail fairly aggressively with a flat tire and just rode it out on the cushcore and it was fine.

One of the primary benefits for me is the rim protection. I'm no longer worried about dinging my rims, and removing that anxiety makes the ride much more enjoyable.

I think if you are sensitive to weight gains, cushcore probably isn't for you. If you are sensitive to trail chatter, find low pressure tires squirmy in the corners, or are constantly worrying about rim damage, CC is a worthwhile purchase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have a question about the valve stems. What is special about them exactly? Is there any reason you couldn't run something else?

mtbr member
    Thanks Sid!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I have a question about the valve stems. What is special about them exactly? Is there any reason you couldn't run something else?
    The foam pushes down on the top of the valve. So the valves they supply have holes on the side to let air and sealant in.
    I don't have their valves and used my E13 valve with a cross hatch cut on the top.
    I suspect that a normal unmodified valve would work. Just might be a little harder pumping up the tire if anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Cool, thanks. I've got e13 valves as well. Can I ask how deep of a channel did you cut into them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Cool, thanks. I've got e13 valves as well. Can I ask how deep of a channel did you cut into them?
    I can't remember exactly but more or less halfway down the angled part with a hacksaw.
    It works well enough.

mtbr member
    Hereís a pic of the valve:

Cushcore Kit Review-img_5620.jpgCushcore Kit Review-img_5621.jpg

I'm with stupid
    Bump up. Any more reviews or thoughts on these? I just picked up a set from a friend but did not get valves so I have not installed them yet. One guy I talked to said they were effected by the colder weather quite a bit, anyone finding that?

mtbr member
    I've only got a few rides in on mine (winter finally arrived in Boise). Love the cornering, but I'm not sure if it's worth the weight penalty or bloody knuckles with installation.

This place needs an enema
    Becoming more and more curious about these.

Have read ad infinitum how difficult they are to install. Not by all, but by many.

What happens when you inevitably trash a tire and need to both boot it and stick in a tube, trailside? Is that even possible?

Not suggesting this will happen often. But inevitably it will. What then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Becoming more and more curious about these.

Have read ad infinitum how difficult they are to install. Not by all, but by many.

What happens when you inevitably trash a tire and need to both boot it and stick in a tube, trailside? Is that even possible?

Not suggesting this will happen often. But inevitably it will. What then?
    I just don't think these are very hard to work with.
    Yes, the first time was a bitch.
    But after that I figured it out and its now not much harder than without.
    I need a tire lever to open the tire off but I dont absolutely need a tire lever to put on a new tire with cushcore most of the time. Just really really follow the directions. If you are usuing brute force you're probably doing it wrong.

The scenario you're describing sounds like no big deal.

Just open the tire with a lever, take out the cushcore, strap it to your backpack or maybe bandolier it. Put in tube.

Or you can actually ride a totally flat tire with cushcore in. Not ideal but I did it once when I wasnt far from my car.

beater
    I've ridden out of a bike park on a flat CushCore setup. I haven't tried tire plugs yet, but I probably would have been able to plug the tire and reinflate. Lesson for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I've ridden out of a bike park on a flat CushCore setup. I haven't tried tire plugs yet, but I probably would have been able to plug the tire and reinflate. Lesson for this season.

I've got a practical doctorate in plugging, patching, and sewing in the backcountry. Shit happens, we adapt.

But sometimes there's just no way to plug or patch -- like a ripped sidewall. And you can't always just coast down to the parking lot.

Is it really that big of a deal to remove the bead on one side and stick in a tube? Do you just leave the cush in there when running a tube? Will the bead easily re-seat with a mini-pump if you've still got a few days of riding til you get back home (or to a shop)?

mtbr member
    1. The cushcore becomes more pliable over time. However, I would never say that they are "easy" to remove/install
    2. No way I can see to install a tube with cc in place. The cc covers the valve stem.

beater
    I donít see how a tube would work with the insert. You couldnít instal it above the insert because the valve stem wouldnít be long enough. You couldnít fit it underneath because of the fit, even though the insert stretches a little. I think youíd be looking at taking it out. Expedition rides might not be the ideal application for it.

I donít see how a tube would work with the insert. You couldnít instal it above the insert because the valve stem wouldnít be long enough. You couldnít fit it underneath because of the fit, even though the insert stretches a little. I think youíd be looking at taking it out. Expedition rides might not be the ideal application for it.
    Thanks for this.

Could a valve extender on a tube work -- at least for local riding?

beater
    Thanks for this.

Iím not sure- Iíve never needed to look into a valve extender so Iím not familiar with them. Youíd also need an awl or similar to poke a hole through the insert since theyíre solid. The included valve stem allows air to flow in underneath the insert.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Is it really that big of a deal to remove the bead on one side and stick in a tube? Do you just leave the cush in there when running a tube? Will the bead easily re-seat with a mini-pump if you've still got a few days of riding til you get back home (or to a shop)?
    Popping the bead is harder with the cushcore in but not that hard. You just gotta push the entire bead into the center of the rim, and massage the tire slack all to one side just like you do on installation.
    Then Pedro's tire lever will do it.

Iím not sure- Iíve never needed to look into a valve extender so Iím not familiar with them. Youíd also need an awl or similar to poke a hole through the insert since theyíre solid. The included valve stem allows air to flow in underneath the insert.
    The valve extender would probably work. I'm pretty sure you could push a valve through the foam without too much trouble without a special tool.

But messing around with all that would probably be more trouble than just taking out the cushcore, strapping it to your pack, and putting in a normal tube.

mtbr member
    From the cushcore website FAQ:

What if I get a flat?

CushCore provides the highest level of protection against flat tires, but nevertheless a flat tire is still possible. While CushCore is not intended to be a run-flat tire, it is possible to "limp home" short distances with significantly reduced risk of rim damage. Otherwise, we recommend using the same approach riders use with standard tubeless. Carry a lightweight inner tube with a long (48mm) valve stem as a backup. You may either (1) install the tube circumferential around the CushCore and force the air valve directly through the insert and rim valve hole, or (2) remove the CushCore and replace it with the inner tube.

I'm a lightweight at 145lbs, so I'd be totally comfortable riding on a flat tire, but if I were a clyde, that might not be the case.

I'm with stupid
    I put mine in last night and got my first ride in today.
    Lets start with install......I'm really at a loss here, I prepped the fridge to do a 3 beer job and walk away and cuss and throw things. Well none of that happened. The install took less than 2 mins more a wheel than normal swap. I am running maxxis 2.5 tires and specialized roval fattie sl. It was really a walk in the park for me. Even that last few inches was quite painless I just made sure to squeeze the tire enough that the bead slid down inside the rim bed and no problems.

On the trail, I didnt notice the weight too much. It was wet and soggy on the climbs today so it was a slow grind of a day anyways. Might kiss my butt later but for now it seems to be a non issue. I did however notice the dampening, I have never one product change the way the bike soaks up chatter this much before. Sure a new shock feels "better" but not even close to how much these stupid pieces of foam changed the bike for the better. I really like them on square embedded rocks when hit at speed. So far all good things with this product. More updates to come if I have anything to add other than a glowing review.

mtbr member

Cushcore Kit Review

Another perspective, one that I share...

https://youtu.be/MEqohbAsNrU

Robertson
    For those running cushcore, are you using front and rear or just rear?

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Both.

I'm with stupid
    Both as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ear_ache View Post
    Another perspective, one that I share...

https://youtu.be/MEqohbAsNrU

And here's Phil's latest thoughts on it:
    https://youtu.be/Z3326Pd1Pio

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    And here's Phil's latest thoughts on it:
    ...I'm not there yet... It is encouraging that others feel the hassle factor is worth the performance gain.

mtbr member
    After 5 months, zero flats, no dings or broken wheels. PSI at 23. I ride lots of chunk and ride it fast.

https://youtu.be/Pnt3YbJHm_A

mtbr member

I agree with every word.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cushcore is the real deal.
    I did not do the original installation but recently had to swap in a new tire. and then broke the valve stem and had to swap it again. The hardest part was breaking the bead of the tire. once that was done, following the instructions on the cushcore video was easy. First time it took me 15 min. rounds 2 & 3 (spare valve troubles...) I removed/installed in 5 minutes or less each time.

FWIW, after 7 months on my bike the cushcore is now quite stretched and loose around the rim. I would imagine that if it was a new tight fit that it would be harder but with lube, doable.

mtbr member
    I have been running Ghetto Cushcore for a while now with good success. Its been providing great rim protection for less than $10 a wheel and only weighs around 150 grams. Its 1/2 "pipe insulation with 1/2" drip irrigation tubing for extra impact protection.

I cut/make the drip irrigation tubing ring so that it fits tight around the rim (have to snap them on the rim), using 3/4" heat shrink tubing (not shown) to hold that together.

Probably not as good as Cushcore but its lighter, cheap, fairly easy to make and been providing great rim protection, some damping and some side wall support.

Cushcore Kit Review-rim-bangerz.jpg

Cushcore Kit Review-rim-bangerz1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for this.

If you carry a multi tool the phillips screwdriver can poke through it, and you could use a road bike tube, or just pack a large zip lock bag (there will be some sealant on it)and remove the cushcore.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    After 5 months, zero flats, no dings or broken wheels. PSI at 23. I ride lots of chunk and ride it fast.

https://youtu.be/Pnt3YbJHm_A
    EXO or DoubleDown casings?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    EXO or DoubleDown casings?
    I just installed a set F/R with DD casings. My first time using Cush Core, and not really a very big deal if you're deliberate. I did the rear first, it took about 20 min and the front took a little under 10 including removing the tire. I deviated from the instructions, which say to use a hammer or something to hold the rim down. I did it like I've done difficult tires for the past 25 years which is to get it started and then work away from myself. I had the already seated section against my chest, put the opposite side of the rim on my bench and just pushed the CC on. To seat the beads, I used a strap to hold the first section I popped on, and then just worked around the wheel using two tire levers...one to flip the bead over and another to push the already seated bead down into the channel while I was leveraging the first lever.

WAY easier than mounting a Heidenau K60 on the rear end of my 990 using only tire levers.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upset Install was a pita, uninstall seems impossible.

I had a hell of time installing Cushcore on my Lightbike 38mm 27.5 rim with an Exo aggressor 2.3. Iím wondering if itís the thick Guerrilla tape I used on the rim. The tire now has a wobble that I canít completely fix...grrr! Worse yet, it seems impossible to remove the tire. The bead wonít push down into the channel, even with all my weight on the tire lever. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    1. Lots of soapy water and push the bead as close to the center of the rim as humanly possible. I like the Pedro levers.
    2. If you have a backup wheelset, then only spend an hour so at a time, then walk away for a beer break.
    3. Beer

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    I had a hell of time installing Cushcore on my Lightbike 38mm 27.5 rim with an Exo aggressor 2.3. Iím wondering if itís the thick Guerrilla tape I used on the rim. The tire now has a wobble that I canít completely fix...grrr! Worse yet, it seems impossible to remove the tire. The bead wonít push down into the channel, even with all my weight on the tire lever. Any ideas?
    sounds like someone needs to hit the gym more

Also, I second the suggestion for Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    sounds like someone needs to hit the gym more

Also, I second the suggestion for Beer
    Feel free to come over and try. Or try it on the LB rim on that poor Nomad wall ornament you have.

Bodhisattva
    Feel free to come over and try. Or try it on the LB rim on that poor Nomad wall ornament you have.
    you have soft coder's hands

mtbr member
    you have soft coder's hands
    Hilarious!

mtbr member
    Where are you at cytoe? I'm in Boise with plenty of beer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where are you at cytoe? I'm in Boise with plenty of beer!

I'll try bathing the tire in beer first. Or how about

Cushcore Kit Review-22077_700x700.jpg

mtbr member
    I'll try bathing the tire in beer first. Or how about

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22077_700x700.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	1191550
    It may come to that...
    I personally found CC a pain to install. Others on this thread seem to have the knack.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post

I agree with every word.

nice vid. his first install was pretty funny.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You're right. It might be the tape. Are you using the trash can support method? I've now done a couple of install/removals and the first removal was the hardest, getting the tire to unseat over the "burp-bump." And probably not so much due to the cushcore. It took all my weight and a hand protector to first force the bead over the bump so I could then push it under the cushcore and pull the tire off like normal. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    1. Lots of soapy water and push the bead as close to the center of the rim as humanly possible. I like the Pedro levers.
    2. If you have a backup wheelset, then only spend an hour so at a time, then walk away for a beer break.
    3. Beer

Odd, I found that using no lube worked best. With the soapy water, I found that it was easier for the insert to push the bead back up.

Either way, the first install took over 4 hours. Second wheel took less than 15 minutes.

No ride time yet.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrakt51 View Post
    Either way, the first install took over 4 hours. Second wheel took less than 15 minutes.
    A week later, and Cytoe still hasn't completed his second install.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A week later, and Cytoe still hasn't completed his second install.
    I'm scared. I don't want to have to cut off 2 tires.

Class Clown
    I'd like to see CushCore 2.0 with patented easy install system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm scared. I don't want to have to cut off 2 tires.
    Just throw away the wheelset when its time to change the tires. I think thatís what CC had in mind when designing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just throw away the wheelset when its time to change the tires. I think thatís what CC had in mind when designing.
    no joke. My last resort will be to decapitate the tire by cutting the side wall all the way around, which will allow me to pull the CC off.

Bodhisattva
    no joke. My last resort will be to decapitate the tire by cutting the side wall all the way around, which will allow me to pull the CC off.
    Please call me when you do that so I can take a video

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    update: the rear tire is still permanently on, but I did attack the front wheel with success! I replaced the guerilla tape with some 3M 8896 tape. Viola! easy install...sort of. The Slime Pro sealant kept clogging up the valve stem, which caused a slime volcano numerous times when I had to unclog it. what a f'ing mess. grr!!! changing to finish line next time.

mtbr member
    update: the rear tire is still permanently on, but I did attack the front wheel with success! I replaced the guerilla tape with some 3M 8896 tape. Viola! easy install...sort of. The Slime Pro sealant kept clogging up the valve stem, which caused a slime volcano numerous times when I had to unclog it. what a f'ing mess. grr!!! changing to finish line next time.
    Sorry cytoe. But misery does love company.

Hopefully the next few times get easier.

Bodhisattva
    Your technique is now perfected and should make your installation of Jason's cushcore a very pleasant experience. That seems like a good trade for him helping you install your wood floor, although I think the cushcore installation might require more effort.

Robertson
    I found the second install of cushcore much easier than the first wheel. As for getting it off, the hard part is popping the bead. What I do is take the screw ring off the valve stem, then push the valve stem up into the wheel to push the cushcore off the bead. This gives me some slack in the tire and I can then break the bead by hand

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    just an anecdote from today's ride. I got a 3/8" tear right at the bead on my Aggressor DD tire today and the Cush Core made it extremely difficult to use Dynaplugs to fix it. I'm not sure what exactly caused the flat and have to say that the CC did an amazing job of protecting the rim. In hindsight, I'm sure I was riding on a flat for at least 20 min because I was sliding all over a fast section of steep bench cut trail. On the protection front, I'm glad I have it installed as I'm certain I avoided destroying my Derby rim on at least one big hit. From a repair perspective, I'm a little bummed. Granted, it's a weird place to flat but the CC made it difficult to pull the tire back to even see the tear, let alone punch some plugs into it. The other slight downside is that I couldn't air it up with the Dynaplug air since the CO2 exit holes on the needle couldn't be pushed in far enough into the tire to air up.

One other interesting fact is that zero sealant came out of the slice, which was surprising to me since I put about 5oz of it in there a few weeks ago. I'm guessing the CC acts as a dam of sorts keeping the majority of the sealant in the air pocket.

mtbr member
    For anyone struggling to get cushcore installed water based personal lubricant is the key (even though my girlfriend was relentless with the jokes). It took maybe 5 minutes a wheel start to finish. Thin coat iniside the tire and on the insert. I put the tire on one side and the the insert in. The second side was similar to the way the tell you just way easier. The bead tucked under the insert in seconds and it only took 1 lever to pop it on. Havenít tried to remove it yet but Iím hoping a light coat of lube on by the bead helps it pop off. It barely takes longer that doing a tire without an insert. This guy covers the install but just in case you didnít see it...

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...o-1070588.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... Not as bad as I thought

After reading this thread and other reviews I didn't find them that hard to install. No tricks, personal lube (), or metal levers. I just followed the instructions. Because I had a hard time finding the info I wrote it up in blog format if you're interested but there's no new information there. The whole processes took me roughly 20 minutes from taking the tire off my bike to putting it back on.

The joy of ski is Yours
    Viola! easy install...sort of.
    A Viola offers no benefit inside tires.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    After reading this thread and other reviews I didn't find them that hard to install. No tricks, personal lube (), or metal levers. I just followed the instructions. Because I had a hard time finding the info I wrote it up in blog format if you're interested but there's no new information there. The whole processes took me roughly 20 minutes from taking the tire off my bike to putting it back on.
    This is my experience as well. I have yet to truly get my ass kicked by cushcore like other have claimed ( knock on wood) I think the biggest thing that does not get enough "you must do" is getting the tire pushed down under the insert and into the channel of the rim. The tire goes on like butter once that happens but if you do not, it is like running backward though a corn field with a blind fold on.

mtbr member

Cushcore Kit Review

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    ...I think the biggest thing that does not get enough "you must do" is getting the tire pushed down under the insert and into the channel of the rim. The tire goes on like butter once that happens...
    +1

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    For anyone struggling to get cushcore installed water based personal lubricant is the key (even though my girlfriend was relentless with the jokes). It took maybe 5 minutes a wheel start to finish. Thin coat iniside the tire and on the insert. I put the tire on one side and the the insert in. The second side was similar to the way the tell you just way easier. The bead tucked under the insert in seconds and it only took 1 lever to pop it on. Havenít tried to remove it yet but Iím hoping a light coat of lube on by the bead helps it pop off. It barely takes longer that doing a tire without an insert. This guy covers the install but just in case you didnít see it...

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...o-1070588.html
    This video is what I followed. I used KY for the install. Worked great. 8-10 minutes/tire.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    just as a follow-up to this. I raced a super D last weekend and opted to change out my slashed rear Aggressor DD for a Shorty. I had a hell of a time getting the bead to unseat with a standard or even the steel core Park tire levers. I ended up using a Motion Pro Bead Pro tool from my motorbike kit to get the first bit of bead unseated and it was standard fare from there on. As others have said, the key is to push the bead under the insert. If you do that, it's easy to mount up the tire. To make it a bit easier, I use a strap to hold the bead under in one place while I work around the tire. It keeps the bead from walking back up onto the bead seat as you're trying to pull the bead over the rim elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    just as a follow-up to this. I raced a super D last weekend and opted to change out my slashed rear Aggressor DD for a Shorty. I had a hell of a time getting the bead to unseat with a standard or even the steel core Park tire levers. I ended up using a Motion Pro Bead Pro tool from my motorbike kit to get the first bit of bead unseated and it was standard fare from there on. As others have said, the key is to push the bead under the insert. If you do that, it's easy to mount up the tire. To make it a bit easier, I use a strap to hold the bead under in one place while I work around the tire. It keeps the bead from walking back up onto the bead seat as you're trying to pull the bead over the rim elsewhere.
    Today will be the first time trying to remove a tire, I did a new set of wheels last night and damaged the rim tape so air is coming out the spokes. Not looking forward to this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update. Out of desperation, I ordered the Motion Pro Bead Pro tool (thanks smudge!). This tool worked! There's no way I would have been able to get the tire off without this tool (besides cutting it off). The tire was practically glued to the rim; even bits of rubber from the tire bead remained adheared to the rim. My guess is the orange seal left overs or interaction from the Guerilla rim tape caused this. With lots of FU's and time, I cleaned the tire bead and rim of the gunk, and replaced the rim tape w/ 3M 8896.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Update. Out of desperation, I ordered the Motion Pro Bead Pro tool (thanks smudge!). This tool worked! There's no way I would have been able to get the tire off without this tool (besides cutting it off). The tire was practically glued to the rim; even bits of rubber from the tire bead remained adheared to the rim. My guess is the orange seal left overs or interaction from the Guerilla rim tape caused this. With lots of FU's and time, I cleaned the tire bead and rim of the gunk, and replaced the rim tape w/ 3M 8896.
    Are you using Gorilla brand masking tape? Enve ships the stuff with its rims. If you are, I'd recommend you don't use it again. Practically every customer I've had that has used the tape supplied by Enve had issues with seepage which, when used with Stans, will lead to nipple corrosion (aluminum nips only, not if you're using the "newly" supplied brass nips) and ultimately the wheel comes apart.

I've been using Orange Seal brand rim tape for a few years now and have no complaints. It goes on easy if you're methodical, I haven't had any of it peel back on any of the wheels I've built and it's nice and slick and doesn't interfere with tire installation.

I'll take a look at that 3M tape...I'm interested to read what people think of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have you installed that tire on that rim without the cushcore? Was it a pain then?
    I've installed and removed multiple Aggressor exos from different alloy rims and it was barely harder than without cushcore. And I am not a wizard.
    Maybe it's a carbon thing?

Bodhisattva
    I just removed a DHF from a cushcore installed rim and mounted a new Aggressor.

Initial installation of the DHF was a bear, but I removed the DHF and installed a new Aggressor in under 20 minutes. I think there's something to be said about ease of installation when the cushcore is already pre-slimed from sealant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I after all the talk of how hard it is to remove I was expecting a fight, was relatively simple. I have Nashbar tire levers and used the rounded handle to push the bead down first on both sides. Then scooped up the bead and peeled around. Only needed one lever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you follow the instruction video for both install and removal, it's not that hard. I've done it several times now. Use the GARBAGE CAN! When new it's a bit hard to stretch onto the rim, but not crazy hard. For me its WAY harder to unseat the tire bead on removal. I have to pad my hand as I put all my weight on the tire lever to pop it off and under the cushcore. After that, it's easy. ALso the cushcore STRETCHES as it ages. What was once tight when brand new, is now loose and slips right on.
    I currently have cushcore installed in 3 different wheels (27.5), procore in 2 wheels (26"), and a procore/cushcore combo installed in a 26x2.8 wheel. (I cut out the inner center of the cushcore so the procore would fit inside.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Would love more ride reports. I ride a Bucksaw but would like to go to a 27.5 or +, I find 29ers with 2.4s at 22psi to just be too fatiguing from the vibrations after 7 miles. Iím in the Northeast with lots or rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I love them. I'm in Colorado so dry and rocky. Huge difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester7677 View Post
    Would love more ride reports. I ride a Bucksaw but would like to go to a 27.5 or +, I find 29ers with 2.4s at 22psi to just be too fatiguing from the vibrations after 7 miles. Iím in the Northeast with lots or rocks and roots.
    I find 2.4 with cushcore more comfortable and controlled than plus tires.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester7677 View Post
    In my experience, it really depends on the speed you're riding and the conditions you're riding in. For the places I used to ride in MD frequently, a hardtail with 2.8's and no CushCore was just about perfect. I can run the pressure around 17psi and the traction is amazing. The speeds are generally low as the trails are low angle and technical so tire roll isn't an issue. I live in OR, and the trails I frequently ride range from primitive to bermy/jumpy trails but the are generally much higher speed since there's more vert and pitch...I frequently am riding down hill in the mid 20mph range and I much prefer 2.5's with CushCore in them. They hold up better in berms and compressions and in at least one occasion have prevented my rim from exploding.

I'm with stupid
    still love my cush cores except changing tires of course.

mtbr member
    I just removed mine - a 45 minute swearfest. I may end up reinstalling. I just wanted to try without for awhile. We'll see...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    still love my cush cores except changing tires of course.
    I've got it down to about 5-7 min a tire. There's a trick to getting them off.

Rocks belong
    Got plenty of time on CushCore on the back of my slack, steel, 29er AM hardtail as well as on the back of my 29er park wheelset (ridden on a 6" slack 29er).

One word review: "Meh"

It's heavy and more annoying to install than Huck Norris. Does it offer more cushion between the rim and tire (than Huck Norris?)? Yes, of course. Worth it? I dunno. Not for me.

Don't believe their claims. If you run lower pressure your tires will squirm. You will feel the squirm and it will annoy you. You will also feel the rim bottoming against the CushCore on hard, square edge hits. You CAN STILL RUIN A RIM with CushCore + DoubleDown casing.

Would I buy it again? No.

I don't buy the magic, trail smoothing damping characteristics. To get low enough to make it trail damping, your tires will squirm during aggressive riding. And you will still bottom out the rim. I am currently relacing my rear wheel because I believed CushCore's claims. (And I was running a Maxxis DoubleDown casing to boot).

Snake oil? No. Worth the expense, headache and weight? No.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Got plenty of time on CushCore on the back of my slack, steel, 29er AM hardtail as well as on the back of my 29er park wheelset (ridden on a 6" slack 29er).

It's heavy and more annoying to install than Huck Norris. Does it offer more cushion between the rim and tire (than Huck Norris?)? Yes, of course. Worth it? I dunno. Not for me.

Don't believe their claims. If you run lower pressure your tires will squirm. You will feel the squirm and it will annoy you. You will also feel the rim bottoming against the CushCore on hard, square edge hits. You CAN STILL RUIN A RIM with CushCore + DoubleDown casing.

I don't buy the magic, trail smoothing damping characteristics. To get low enough to make it trail damping, your tires will squirm during aggressive riding. And you will still bottom out the rim. I am currently relacing my rear wheel because I believed CushCore's claims. (And I was running a Maxxis DoubleDown casing to boot).

I can feel the rebound effect even with proper inflated tires for hard turns and no rim strikes. Running it in the front you can feel. The back less so.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I've got it down to about 5-7 min a tire. There's a trick to getting them off.
    Yeah I got it down with maxxis tires to include DD. But I got my ass kicked by the new butcher with BLK DMND casing for almost a hour to get them on. I was not ready for that fight. Maxxis exo, DD, casing are so much easier. these were a beast!

Also front tire cushcore you feel much more than the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Also front tire cushcore you feel much more than the rear.
    That's interesting as I've had the opposite experience. I feel the effects more on the rear than on the front. So much so that I've taken off the front one and gone back to running a higher pressure up front than the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My experience is when flying through a rock garden with enough air to not bang a rim, the tire has a lot of bounce back(rebound) you can run the fork slow, but this only helps a little. With cushcore controlling the rebound I can speed up the fork and it stays in constant contact with the ground. So better traction on rough fast trails.

Bodhisattva

Funny. My take is opposite.
    I've been running 18 psi on 2.5 WT 650 maxxis tires since later winter here in Colorado. I've had no hard rim strikes, no flats, no punctures, no snake bites.

Cornering is significantly improved and very precise. It's like having understeer, which I didn't know previously existed, instantly corrected. I don't know if I can feel the "damping effect" that others perceive. I think my dual-coil suspension takes care of that mostly.

Downsides for me? The rotational weight over 3 hrs of high alpine climbs definitely wears on me. My bike is now up to 33#, where I once had it right around 30 (before CC and dual coil). And I rue the day I have to do a trailside tire repair that a plug can't fix.

I just rode 8 consecutive days in Salida/Monarch/CB and the weight wore me down towards the end of the week. Next time I might remove the CC and reinstall my Huck which I previously used. But for regular daily rides, CC is here to stay for me.

mtbr member
    Downsides for me? The rotational weight over 3 hrs of high alpine climbs definitely wears on me. My bike is now up to 33#, where I once had it right around 30 (before CC and dual coil). And I rue the day I have to do a trailside tire repair that a plug can't fix.

I just rode 8 consecutive days in Salida/Monarch/CB and the weight wore me down towards the end of the week. Next time I might remove the CC and reinstall my Huck which I previously used. But for regular daily rides, CC is here to stay for me.
    Rotational weight sucks!! They say like every gram you add to the outside of your wheel is like adding 5/6 grams to your bike.

Here is a demonstration of the effects it has on acceleration/pedaling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rEF5A3I8UQ

The chain they are adding to the outside of the rim is not much heavier than cushcore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The weight is the only downside IMHO hours of peddling and can effect turning a 29er. If someone comes up with a product that doesn't weight as much and does the same job I'm in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

sealant and valve troubles

anyone find it impossible to put sealant in?

Install wasn't too bad. Watched the vid and took everyone's advice. But the sealant??? What the hell? I was squeezing that bottle of orange seal for all I was worth, sweating like a dog and it was barely trickling in. Took 5 minutes for a single ounce. I finally gave up, unseated a small section of tire, jammed the tube between the cc and the tire and squeezed the rest in, then reseated it. All this while using cc's fancy valve stems.

Anyone else have that much trouble putting sealant in? Find a solution?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post

Install wasn't too bad. Watched the vid and took everyone's advice. But the sealant??? What the hell? I was squeezing that bottle of orange seal for all I was worth, sweating like a dog and it was barely trickling in. Took 5 minutes for a single ounce. I finally gave up, unseated a small section of tire, jammed the tube between the cc and the tire and squeezed the rest in, then reseated it. All this while using cc's fancy valve stems.

I have no issue with sealant. But I do make sure the hole in the cushcore valves are lined up pointing to each edge of the rim. Then the grooves in the cushcore I make sure one is line up with the holes in valve.

mtbr member
    Had no problems getting the sealant in. I used the same method as Cerberus ^^^

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So, for those who had to repair on the trail, what was the best course of action ?
    I'm wondering if there is not something allowing to plug two valves or just two valves holes in the rim, would be much easier to have the deflated tube inside in the first place.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tirrorex View Post
    So, for those who had to repair on the trail, what was the best course of action ?
    I'm wondering if there is not something allowing to plug two valves or just two valves holes in the rim, would be much easier to have the deflated tube inside in the first place.
    You would find it hard to keep it air tight. I just carry a road tube and am prepared to pull the valve like any tubless set up but put a hole threw the CC in the case I slash a tire bad enough and dont want to pull the CC. So far haven't had to try it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    You would find it hard to keep it air tight. I just carry a road tube and am prepared to pull the valve like any tubless set up but put a hole threw the CC in the case I slash a tire bad enough and dont want to pull the CC. So far haven't had to try it.
    Seems like a good idea, thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post

Just get the whole thing seated except for the last 8 inches or so, pour in sealant, rotate the tire around so the sealant flows to the opposite side. Then finish seating the tire. Easy, fast, not a drop spilled.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BunniBoi View Post
    Just get the whole thing seated except for the last 8 inches or so, pour in sealant, rotate the tire around so the sealant flows to the opposite side. Then finish seating the tire. Easy, fast, not a drop spilled.
    I've also noticed that if the tire beads aren't seated yet it is difficult to inject sealant through the valve. Seating the beads and then injecting through the valve resolves it for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    update: sealant went in well with the valve base turned correctly (thx cerb), and I found after trying the cushcores on various bikes, there is a lot to say for the type of wheel and tire you're using. I found it a pain with spank spike races and DHF's, but super easy on E13's and Magic Marys. Live and learn.

mtbr member
    If you're not riding fast..... say top 10% on your favorite descents if you're a strava guy, you probably will not see any benefit from cushcore. Installing it because you want to run 5psi in your tires is dumb. I just wore out my first set after 1500 miles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you're not riding fast..... say top 10% on your favorite descents if you're a strava guy, you probably will not see any benefit from cushcore.
    ...or if you're riding a lot of park/knar that could destroy wheels at various speeds

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you're not riding fast..... say top 10% on your favorite descents if you're a strava guy, you probably will not see any benefit from cushcore. Installing it because you want to run 5psi in your tires is dumb. I just wore out my first set after 1500 miles.
    What did "wore out" look/feel like for you?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The first removal is the hardest. It takes a gloved hand and alot of leverage to pop the tire bead into the center. and you gotta use the trashcan method. I've done a handful now and it only takes about 10 minutes. The removal is harder than the install for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I push the bead in with the handle of my tire lever. Or something hard and flat. Once you figure it out it works great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm not a 10% guy. But cushcore lets me run 25psi instead of 32psi (what I need to not bottom or squirm a rear tire).
    I still occasionally bottom a rim (as I would occasionally without it) but I've stopped damaging my rear rim and I prefer the feel of it.
    Worth it for me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey all,

I'm trying to mount a DH casing (Maxxis 2.5 Assegai) to a carbon rim (We are One Agent 29). I'm pretty baffled. Getting the Cushcore on and the tire over it are not a problem at all, that took 2 seconds.

Getting the bead in seems impossible. Seems like I have it pushed into the center of the rim in some spots, but it still won't go all the way. Anyone mount DH casing tires? any tips? Gotta be a way I would think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    Hey all,

I'm trying to mount a DH casing (Maxxis 2.5 Assegai) to a carbon rim (We are One Agent 29). I'm pretty baffled. Getting the Cushcore on and the tire over it are not a problem at all, that took 2 seconds.

Getting the bead in seems impossible. Seems like I have it pushed into the center of the rim in some spots, but it still won't go all the way. Anyone mount DH casing tires? any tips? Gotta be a way I would think.
    Coat the tire with some soap or water based lube. When going around the rim with the tire, i lift the bead up under the cushcore. Then i lay it on a bucket and push the tire down and in at an agle with a flat blunt object. There is a line abour 1 1/2 inch above the bead. You should not see it before you try to get the last few inches over the rim.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Coat the tire with some soap or water based lube. When going around the rim with the tire, i lift the bead up under the cushcore. Then i lay it on a bucket and push the tire down and in at an agle with a flat blunt object. There is a line abour 1 1/2 inch above the bead. You should not see it before you try to get the last few inches over the rim.
    Thanks, I've been researching tips and that's what I keep hearing. I thought i had it in there but I guess not. I'll keep trying. I was using a longer Pedros DH tire lever, but it doesn't seem to work well to push the tire down, may have to find something else to use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks, I've been researching tips and that's what I keep hearing. I thought i had it in there but I guess not. I'll keep trying. I was using a longer Pedros DH tire lever, but it doesn't seem to work well to push the tire down, may have to find something else to use.
    It's real important to get 100% of the bead in the middle of the rim. If you don't then the next step won't be successful.
    And then starting at the point furthest away from unmounted area, massage the slack of the tire towards it.
    Once you've done that getting the last bit to pop in shouldn't be much harder than without cushcore if you're lucky.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow, so I had a DHRII on hand and decided to mount it instead of the DH casing Assegai tire and I got it on in about 15 minutes. I really could not get the DH casing under the Cushcore, but the DHRII shoved right under there and the line disappeared. Maybe it was just me... not sure. Either way, the Assegai is already a beast of a tire and I wasn't looking forward to the weight, so this may have worked out for the better. If anyone else had any luck with the Assegai and CushCore let me know. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey, what would you guys do with a 32mm inner width rim, go for the regular size or go for the plus size? It's right in the middle. My assumption is the regular will be easier to mount and the plus will off more protection, but will be harder to install. Should I flip a coin?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Hey, what would you guys do with a 32mm inner width rim, go for the regular size or go for the plus size? It's right in the middle. My assumption is the regular will be easier to mount and the plus will off more protection, but will be harder to install. Should I flip a coin?
    Regular.

I'm with stupid
    Wow, so I had a DHRII on hand and decided to mount it instead of the DH casing Assegai tire and I got it on in about 15 minutes. I really could not get the DH casing under the Cushcore, but the DHRII shoved right under there and the line disappeared. Maybe it was just me... not sure. Either way, the Assegai is already a beast of a tire and I wasn't looking forward to the weight, so this may have worked out for the better. If anyone else had any luck with the Assegai and CushCore let me know. Thanks for the help!
    Im running Cush with ass guy tires on roval fatties and it worked just fine. That tire with cushcore is amazing by the way, but slow as hell on the back.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Im running Cush with ass guy tires on roval fatties and it worked just fine. That tire with cushcore is amazing by the way, but slow as hell on the back.
    Cool, I figured it would go on but after thinking about it I'm gonna save my Assy Guy for the front... that thing has to be a beast with the Cush Core I'm sure!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Is the Assegai as bad on the front as everyone is saying? Been waiting for a trail version. But really thing its what I want (a magic mary that will last more than a month or two)

I'm with stupid
    Is the Assegai as bad on the front as everyone is saying? Been waiting for a trail version. But really thing its what I want (a magic mary that will last more than a month or two)
    I do not notice it being slow on the front. It feels the same as the Max grip DHF I had on before but deals better traction wise with my local conditions than the DHF. On the rear though it rolled super slow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I do not notice it being slow on the front. It feels the same as the Max grip DHF I had on before but deals better traction wise with my local conditions than the DHF. On the rear though it rolled super slow.
    Awsome! thanks, been wanting to pair it with a DHR2 for trail riding. I don't like slip zone of a DHF on home trails, and conditions the tire was designed for. Might have to give it a go

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    - Does Cushcore soak sealant?
    - How the heck does the sealant get to the outer side of the tire, when I start pushing the sealant into valve stem and the middle section of the tire is blocked by the insert? Does the insert have some holes to let the sealant to the other side?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does not soak up sealant at all. For the sealant, there are notches/slits in the cushcore, line one set of those up with your valve stem.

mtbr member
    Don't run Cushcore but did do a wheel rebuild for a friend. Nextie AM35 29" with DHRII tire. Didn't have any real issues getting tire off just a bit harder than a tire without Cushcore. Remounting tire no big issue either used Pedros tire levers and went on quickly. This is where I have an issue with Cushcore. After getting tire on adding sealant and inflating I gave the wheel a spin on the truing stand and it spun like it was a taco'ed rim. At first I thought it was maybe the tire, checked and rechecked bead seat and all appeared fine. Finally realized it was the Cushcore causing the massive tire wobble. Spent half an hour trying to center Cushcore and tire to eliminate wobble with marginal improvement. If this is a side effect of Cushcore I'm out! Anyone else have this issue?
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Sounds like the CC wasn't seated properly maybe. I've got over 2200 miles on CC with about a dozen tire swaps and haven't experienced that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Don't run Cushcore but did do a wheel rebuild for a friend. Nextie AM35 29" with DHRII tire. Didn't have any real issues getting tire off just a bit harder than a tire without Cushcore. Remounting tire no big issue either used Pedros tire levers and went on quickly. This is where I have an issue with Cushcore. After getting tire on adding sealant and inflating I gave the wheel a spin on the truing stand and it spun like it was a taco'ed rim. At first I thought it was maybe the tire, checked and rechecked bead seat and all appeared fine. Finally realized it was the Cushcore causing the massive tire wobble. Spent half an hour trying to center Cushcore and tire to eliminate wobble with marginal improvement. If this is a side effect of Cushcore I'm out! Anyone else have this issue?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I can get a little wobble sometimes. I think the CC isnt in the channel good when that happens. But after a ride its fine.

jcd's best friend
    I bought a CC set for my custom wheelset. The problem is that I am still waiting for the wheelset to arrive! I can't wait to try CC out.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

No Clue Crew
    On the STEM topic...

So the stem sits in the rim like normal and the foam rests on top of it, compressing the foam in that tiny spot?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    centrifigal force drives the liquid to the outside.

jcd's best friend
    I tried for 2 hours to slip the last 10 percent of my tire on the rim with CC installed. I just couldn't get the last bit of bead to pop in the rim. I followed all of the tips that CC had (old and new videos). It wasn't happening.

I pushed the installed bead as far down as I could with my levers but I couldn't get enough slack to get the last 10 percent of tire to install.

mtbr member

Cushcore Kit Review

Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I tried for 2 hours to slip the last 10 percent of my tire on the rim with CC installed. I just couldn't get the last bit of bead to pop in the rim. I followed all of the tips that CC had (old and new videos). It wasn't happening.

I pushed the installed bead as far down as I could with my levers but I couldn't get enough slack to get the last 10 percent of tire to install.
    I feel your pain. My advice.
    1. Stop, take a break, drink a beer (or 2)
    2. Once refreshed, grab some regular (non downhill) tire levers. I use Pedro's.
    3. The eureka moment for me was when I realized I needed to push the tire bead to as close to the center of the rim as possible. A little bit won't cut it, If you cannot easily see your rim strip, it's no far enough.

God's speed.
    E

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I feel your pain. My advice.
    1. Stop, take a break, drink a beer (or 2)
    2. Once refreshed, grab some regular (non downhill) tire levers. I use Pedro's.
    3. The eureka moment for me was when I realized I needed to push the tire bead to as close to the center of the rim as possible. A little bit won't cut it, If you cannot easily see your rim strip, it's no far enough.

God's speed.
    E

This is good, especially #1.
    And remember that installing cushcore is not a brute force problem. Get the tire bead in the center, and then massage the slack out starting at the point furtherest from the unmounted section.

jcd's best friend
    I just installed it in 5 minutes. I found that 1 YouTube video that solved my problem. I canít believe it.

https://youtu.be/6Oo7a9A7Obg

mtbr member
    May 2011

What tire? What rim? I tried some DH casing tires that simply would not go on my carbon rim with CC. I tried a Minion on the same rim with only EXO and it went on in 2 seconds, but not the tire I wanted to run. Also, after trying for that long, you can fully expect that your tape is destroyed, so if and when you get CC on, don't be surprised that you gotta take it back off because of that. I soon after returned Cushcore, I figure if it's not going to work on certain tire rim combos what's the point? Maybe my DH tires would have worked eventually but no way I'm going through that again when i want to change a tire. I was let down, my hands hurt from trying and really I just wanted to ride my bike.

jcd's best friend
    I canít believe it. I just did what the dude recommended to slip the bead down and deep. I flipped the lever around and pressed down. I completed an entire wheel in 5 minutes.

I'm with stupid
    It is a Maxxis tire thing. I swap tires around and have found as of late that taking the newer maxxis tires on and off the bead/casing gets warped very easy. I have even had a few have a wobble brand new that got warrantied.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I just installed it in 5 minutes. I found that 1 YouTube video that solved my problem. I canít believe it.

Omg, the guy didn't even lube the tire, or did he? This is unbelievable!

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by oo.viper.oo View Post
    Omg, the guy didn't even lube the tire, or did he? This is unbelievable!
    I don't think he did. I lubed it anyways because I didn't want to accidentally damage my rim tape. I worked on my 2nd wheel after I got home from my daughter's event. I didn't even need the tire lever to shove the bead deep into the rim. I just grabbed 2 handfuls of tire/CC, rolled it together, and then shoved the tire inside of the rim under CC. I found it to be faster than using a tire lever. You can actually do it this way during the tire installation phase prior to dealing with the tight side of the tire.

Then I used the tire lever twice on the tight section (once per side) to tuck the bead under the rim and just hand rolled the middle onto the rim.

jcd's best friend
    Hey everyone. I decided to create a video showing how I install Cushcore without using all of the tips in the Cushcore installation video. This is my first time being in front of the camera rather than the camera being in front of me. I do have an anxiety disorder so this video was my attempt to over come parts of my anxiety issues.

I also grabbed the wrong camera and recorded with my Hero 5 Black rather than my Hero 7.

I've done this installation with Maxxis Minion tires multiple times already and it could possibly work with other brands too. Also pardon the sealant mess. It's normally not this messy when I do it. I was just annoyed that I put the tire on backwards and wanted to get it over with quickly.

Now, you do need a tire lever to remove the tire off the rim. I actually did it bare handed but for some reason, it wasn't gonna happen this time around. During installation, no tools or lube was used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great install vid. If you can find another light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hey everyone. I decided to create a video showing how I install Cushcore without using all of the tips in the Cushcore installation video. This is my first time being in front of the camera rather than the camera being in front of me. I do have an anxiety disorder so this video was my attempt to over come parts of my anxiety issues.

I also grabbed the wrong camera and recorded with my Hero 5 Black rather than my Hero 7.

I've done this installation with Maxxis Minion tires multiple times already and it could possibly work with other brands too. Also pardon the sealant mess. It's normally not this messy when I do it. I was just annoyed that I put the tire on backwards and wanted to get it over with quickly.

Now, you do need a tire lever to remove the tire off the rim. I actually did it bare handed but for some reason, it wasn't gonna happen this time around. During installation, no tools or lube was used.

Good job on the video, and facing your anxiety to help others!

jcd's best friend
    Good job on the video, and facing your anxiety to help others!
    Thanks! I wanted to do a write-up but it could be misunderstood. I decided to go the YouTube route. It's going to take time, but I will get my YouTube voice!

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Great install vid. If you can find another light.
    Thanks, that was my biggest annoyance. I tried to use Final Cut Pro X to brighten it up but it wasn't working as planned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks, that was my biggest annoyance. I tried to use Final Cut Pro X to brighten it up but it wasn't working as planned.
    Get your actual lighting correct before you begin is the best option. Software fixes won't be needed.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Get your actual lighting correct before you begin is the best option. Software fixes won't be needed.
    I did some research to upgrade my lighting to LED so I will go that route. Itís cheap and simple.

mtbr member
    CushCore experiment continues to be trouble free. Was actually thinking about weight gain/loss.

+260g x 2 (Cushcore itself)
    -200g x 2 (moving to EXO from DD)
    -200g x 1 (not carrying tube any longer, still carrying plug kit)
    520g - 600g = net -80g of weight.
    What plug kit are you using? I need cushcore and a plug kit.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

I'm with stupid

I was yelling the whole time he was putting the tire on backwards.... he didnt hear me. I guess he will find a quick way to take them off as well. step 1 with cushcore is. MAKE SURE THE TIRE IS GOING THE RIGHT WAY

edit: I just watched your video and I guess you followed him a bit too closely. #Protip, Maxxis "hotpatch" ( Name of tire and the all the 3 letter stuff they use) is always on the drive side of there tires.

jcd's best friend
    edit: I just watched your video and I guess you followed him a bit too closely. #Protip, Maxxis "hotpatch" ( Name of tire and the all the 3 letter stuff they use) is always on the drive side of there tires.
    Yeah it's funny how I backwards installed it too. I removed/installed Cushcore and my tires multiple times that week and nothing was backwards. That ONE time I did it, I somehow installed it backwards. I blame the lighting in my garage which is why I will be buying a nice set of LEDs very soon.

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Wouldnít you need a SUPER long valve or maybe even a valve extender?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    Wouldnít you need a SUPER long valve or maybe even a valve extender?
    The valve on the road tube looks long enough but i haven't had a slash big enough to need it. Only 1/2 inch the longest.Plugs, superglue and dental floss stitches have gotten me by.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Has anyone tried running 27.5 cushcores on a 29 wheel? I have a brand new set of 27.5 cush cores but I ride 29.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by recycle127 View Post
    Has anyone tried running 27.5 cushcores on a 29 wheel? I have a brand new set of 27.5 cush cores but I ride 29.
    No way it will fit. The 29 ones are a super tight fit on a 29 rim to start with.

Another thing I find helpful for mounting tight tires is start mounting 180* from the valve stem and finish the tight spot at the stem so it doesn't block the bead from the channel.

No Clue Crew
    How does sealant work for sealing the bead with CushCore?

I've got a set coming tomorrow and it just dawned on me if the tire has sealant but the CushCore is pushing against the bead of the tire the sealant will have a very hard time sloshing up into the bead to seal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    How does sealant work for sealing the bead with CushCore?

I've got a set coming tomorrow and it just dawned on me if the tire has sealant but the CushCore is pushing against the bead of the tire the sealant will have a very hard time sloshing up into the bead to seal.
    There are grooves/chanels in the CC line one up with the valve. The valve has 2 holes aim them at the inner wall of the rim.

No Clue Crew
    There are grooves/chanels in the CC line one up with the valve. The valve has 2 holes aim them at the inner wall of the rim.
    I'm not sure you understand my question... I don't intend to do push my sealant through the valve both because I use a home brew that's thicker with more fibers and chunks in it and also because valve cores get gummed up and plugged really easy. I just had to pull my front tire off and pull a plug of latex, corn meal, and dog hair, out of the valve.

If all your sealant is in the "Tunable Air Pocket" and the CushCore is presenting outward force upon the tire there is no gap for the sealant to work it's way between the insert and the tire bead.

Am I simply missing that these channels are meant to distribute the sealant along the bead? Does not seem likely given the tightness with which the rim, insert, and tire fit together. You might get some sealant on the bead right by one of these channels but along the entire circumference?

Sorry... I'm sure it works, I just like to have a grasp of exactly what happens, when, and how, before I dive into something foreign.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    If all your sealant is in the "Tunable Air Pocket" and the CushCore is presenting outward force upon the tire there is no gap for the sealant to work it's way between the insert and the tire bead.

I think that turn of phrase is what is throwing you off. The tuneable air pocket bit is referring to increased ramp up. The insert isn't liquid or air tight inside of the tire. It just takes up volume.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by tirrorex View Post
    I'm lead to believe by someone that rides faster and harder than me, albeit smoother as well, that he'd feel confident riding a flat tire with CushCore in it off our nasty, rocky, Arizona trails. That's what I'm hoping 'cause I have no desire to fight this setup trailside.

Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    I'm not a 10% guy. But cushcore lets me run 25psi instead of 32psi (what I need to not bottom or squirm a rear tire).
    I still occasionally bottom a rim (as I would occasionally without it) but I've stopped damaging my rear rim and I prefer the feel of it.
    Worth it for me.
    What he said... Just picked up a ding in my new Sentry/i9 wheelset due to a pinch flat while running nearly 30# of air. That's like riding concrete wheels... pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I think that turn of phrase is what is throwing you off. The tuneable air pocket bit is referring to increased ramp up. The insert isn't liquid or air tight inside of the tire. It just takes up volume.
    No, I just used that terminology so you'd know what part of the diagram I'm describing. What's throwing me off is everything fits so tightly together that it doesn't seem likely that the sealant can flow freely enough to get to the bead. With a typical tubeless setup when you shake the tire the sealant can flow freely throughout the tire and to the bead. With the CushCore you literally have placed a barrier preventing the sealant from reaching the bead.

I guess I'll just take a leap of faith... like most of my rock drops

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm lead to believe by someone that rides faster and harder than me, albeit smoother as well, that he'd feel confident riding a flat tire with CushCore in it off our nasty, rocky, Arizona trails. That's what I'm hoping 'cause I have no desire to fight this setup trailside.

What he said... Just picked up a ding in my new Sentry/i9 wheelset due to a pinch flat while running nearly 30# of air. That's like riding concrete wheels... pointless.

No, I just used that terminology so you'd know what part of the diagram I'm describing. What's throwing me off is everything fits so tightly together that it doesn't seem likely that the sealant can flow freely enough to get to the bead. With a typical tubeless setup when you shake the tire the sealant can flow freely throughout the tire and to the bead. With the CushCore you literally have placed a barrier preventing the sealant from reaching the bead.

I guess I'll just take a leap of faith... like most of my rock drops
    Just turned upside down, probably not. When being pushed outwards strongly due to centrifugal force it will make it past.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm not sure you understand my question... I don't intend to do push my sealant through the valve both because I use a home brew that's thicker with more fibers and chunks in it and also because valve cores get gummed up and plugged really easy. I just had to pull my front tire off and pull a plug of latex, corn meal, and dog hair, out of the valve.

Am I simply missing that these channels are meant to distribute the sealant along the bead? Does not seem likely given the tightness with which the rim, insert, and tire fit together. You might get some sealant on the bead right by one of these channels but along the entire circumference?

Sorry... I'm sure it works, I just like to have a grasp of exactly what happens, when, and how, before I dive into something foreign.
    Ok, so the question is how does the sealant get circulated on the bead and side walls continuously? Im not 100% sure. I do change my tires often and they are completely coated with sealent where the CC is.

No Clue Crew
    Ok, so the question is how does the sealant get circulated on the bead and side walls continuously? Im not 100% sure. I do change my tires often and they are completely coated with sealent where the CC is.
    After pulling them outta the box I'm even more baffled as it's pretty stiff foam but I'm gonna roll with it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    CC front only atm. Mavic Claw plus CC weighs about the same as Shorty Max Grip 2.5WT without.

16psi, good roll, faster and smoother over roots, better control and grip.

Install not too bad, used hands for 90%, roll back and push down into rim centre. Use soapy water spray everywhere. Go back to starting point and tuck down again all round. Keep going around wheel until you can lever on the last 10%. I used Pedros levers.

Inflated by hand.

Iíll probably convert another front and try it in the back as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just installed on the front and rear of my Bronson. Watched the videos and read the instructions. Install went as smooth as silk. 10-15 min per wheel start to finish. Will ride it this week to see

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had the same experience, install took maybe 25min on my front. The last little bit was a challenge, but I had a section of the tire that wasn't fully pushed into the channel.

I think it helps that I used a worn tire. I think when I do tire changes, I may inflate the tire to 50-60psi overnight to let it stretch out some before I install it on the CC. I could see how a fresh tire might be less pliable and more challenging to squeeze on.

I bought it to help issues with my hands, I have nerve problems in one hand and I had read some folks say it helped. It definitely makes a difference and seems to dampen out the harder impacts, although it's not night and day. I have been able to make it down trails I normally have to stop and let my hand cool off on, though, so that's an improvement.

I ran it on a WTB Vigilante 2.5 TriTec on Industry Nine Enduro 305 wheels. I was running 22psi, but I dropped to 20, 19, and 18. I haven't tried 16 yet, but at 18 it did feel like the casing was rolling a little bit, although it was a dusty day and could have been deceiving. I'm heavier @ 215, so it may have been that I was running too little to start with on the front (pre-CC) and should have been at 24psi or so. At any rate, 20 felt pretty good to me, I haven't found a lower boundary of what didn't feel good, though.

I will add that the front felt a lot stiffer and more 'commanding', it seemed to corner significantly better.

I'm uncertain on the rear. I'm running a Trail Boss 2.4 that weighs close to 1200gr already, so I'm hesitant to add more weight there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Odd, I found that using no lube worked best. With the soapy water, I found that it was easier for the insert to push the bead back up.

No ride time yet.

This time around, the install took less than 20 minutes with a new setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qfACwvSsGM&t=502s

Followed his tips and saved myself the pain and suffering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I don't think I need it in the front to protect my rim.
    Any issues just running it on the rear?

They are coming out with an XC version for 1.8-2.4" tires (22-32mm rims).
    They are 100g less. I'm guessing a little thinner than the original.
    Sounds like a good compromise. Can save your rim and possibly still let you ride on a flat tire.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I don't think I need it in the front to protect my rim.
    Any issues just running it on the rear?
    Nope. That's what I'm doing but only because I've been too lazy to open up the front tire. I do feel it's LESS necessary on the front but I'll get to it eventually.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Itís more than rim protection. Makes the front end of the bike handle so much better

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Better handling is a good thing. 250g will be less noticeable in the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What makes this product interesting to me is the ability to run lower pressures which provides a lot more traction and lowers rolling resistance.

Anyone go from something like a DHF/Aggressor combo down to a less aggressive tire (rekons front and rear) because cushcore gives you more traction to offset the weight? Not just from a DD to a Dual but a totally differenmt tire. I'm sure the breaking traction will suffer but maybe remain unchanged elsewhere.

Has anyone finalized on optimal tire pressures on something like a 29 x 2.3 aggressor or 29 x 2.5 DHF ? Currently I'm running 20/23 psi front/rear without a cushcore and 99% of the time I do'nt damage the rim but on the last time I did and that's why I'm looking into cushcore for a solution without having to up my pressure. I'm not sure if adding another 2 psi would've avoided my rim failure but I think the cushcore probably would have saved it. I've only read in a review that people have been running about 5 psi less so I'm looking at 15/18 psi. I'm not sure why they went with 5 psi instead of a percentage. Was wondering what everyone's tire pressure lowering experiences are with the cushcore.

No Clue Crew
    Anyone go from something like a DHF/Aggressor combo down to a less aggressive tire (rekons front and rear) because cushcore gives you more traction to offset the weight?
    I run the tires I run, DHF/DHR II both WT and EXO casing, because they are good, not because they are less prone to rim damage.

Has anyone finalized on optimal tire pressures on something like a 29 x 2.3 aggressor or 29 x 2.5 DHF? Currently I'm running 20/23 psi front/rear without a cushcore ... I'm not sure if adding another 2 psi would've avoided my rim failure but I think the cushcore probably would have saved it.
    If I ran 23# without CushCore I'd damage my rim every ride. Pre-CushCore I had to have 28# in the rear or I pinched tires and dinged rims.

I've only read in a review that people have been running about 5 psi less so I'm looking at 15/18 psi. I'm not sure why they went with 5 psi instead of a percentage. Was wondering what everyone's tire pressure lowering experiences are with the cushcore.
    Any number above or below another number is a percentage of that number.

I went by the feel test. I normally run 28/30 which is hard as a rock. With the CushCore in I dropped the air until I FELT like there was enough give in the tire to provide some extra grip. This turns out to be 25ish psi in the rear. Much less and it starts to feel squirmy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Anyone go from something like a DHF/Aggressor combo down to a less aggressive tire (rekons front and rear) because cushcore gives you more traction to offset the weight? Not just from a DD to a Dual but a totally differenmt tire. I'm sure the breaking traction will suffer but maybe remain unchanged elsewhere.
    I tried that for a while. Ran an Ardent Race instead of a DHF or Aggressor rear.
    It did get additional traction but if that tire was sketchy somewhere without cushcore its still sketchy with it.
    Back to DHF/DHF.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks for the feedback. I was going to go from an aggressor down to a rekon. Similar side knobs. Maybe after I wear out the aggressors, they last a long time compared to the other tires.

Yebo Numzaan
    Unfortunately - I am not overimpressed with my CC. I didnt really notice any specific CC benefits in the spring. The ground was wet and soft and I struggled with wheel deflections and traction pretty much as normal. Now that things are drying out - i have noticed a more damped ride on rougher / rocky terrain...but havent noticed any miraculous traction.

I have run 18 - 22 in the front and 20 - 25 in the rear while experimenting. DHF / E13 LG1

What i have noticed is that I am suffering a little more on the pedals (compared to the same bike at the end of last year (without CC). It might just be that i am another year older..but dang..I may have just crossed some threshold of weight..my bike is about 36lbs now (6" / 7" front).

Since this is currently my only bike...i am struggling to stick with the CC.. as much as I would like to..with Trans BC coming up.

Out of curiosity I might remove them for a trial period and see if i notice any differences

Has anyone else gone through the same thought process...and maybe removed the CC only to THEN realize what a difference they made - or conversely found that the bike pedals much better (or not)?

Only other option might be another bike that is more 'up country'!

I want to fall in love..really
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Iím in the same boat as you. I havenít noticed an earth shattering difference. Not sure the rotational weight penalty is worth it. I want to love it. Iím running 25psi in the rear and 22 in the front.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast