Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    They can't give you instruction on how to do so?
    Sometimes a helpful forum thread and fellow bike enthusiasts is far quicker than waiting to hear back from a warranty department.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    Okay, I have only worked on the left type. It looks like a stronger design anyway.

Still Stinky
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    Sometimes a helpful forum thread and fellow bike enthusiasts is far quicker than waiting to hear back from a warranty department.

I was able to pry it out. I put a little pick under the edge of the engagement ring and pried it up a bit, then moved to the opposite side and did the same thing. slowly it wiggled out. I switched to a flathead screwdriver as soon as it was possible. It came out with relative ease. Pressing in the new one, I used a large socket and a small hammer.

Hope this helps.

Still Stinky
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    If it is the screwed in type, you use a 27 point star socket that fits into the teeth, then unscrew it out counter-clockwise.

But if it is broken like that, you can just take it out in pieces.
    Novatec has a specific tool that fits neatly into the serrated teeth. It can be used to install and remove the threaded engagement rings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkydogfart View Post
    I was able to pry it out. I put a little pick under the edge of the engagement ring and pried it up a bit, then moved to the opposite side and did the same thing. slowly it wiggled out. I switched to a flathead screwdriver as soon as it was possible. It came out with relative ease. Pressing in the new one, I used a large socket and a small hammer.

Hope this helps.
    Good to know thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkydogfart View Post

Hope this helps.
    What a pain to pry that thing out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Same thing happened to me! I notice the plastic that holds the ring is deformed like mine was. I am also on the larger side and climb a lot of hills. I think that is what deformed my hub's ratchet ring. I decided to go with a Hope Pro 4 Fatsno hub. It has been working great!

What? There's more?
    Bought a set of Novatec 791/792 for $88us shipped. Built a budget wheelset for a computer bike. They work fine and parts are available. Built another wheelset for proper mountain biking with Shimano Zee/SLX hubs for about the same price. Why bother with Novatec when you can get Shimano for the same price? If Shimano is not your thing, Hope hubs are just not that expensive. Built several sets with Pro2 and Pro4; spending more is just wankery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12