Crank Brothers Cobalt Wheels- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LBS Manager

Crank Brothers Cobalt Wheels

Has anyone ridden these wheels yet? I am thinking of getting some but have heard no feed back of any kind on them.

Apr 2008
    They look awesome, don't they? Are they still special order only?

To answer your question though, no, I haven't tried them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    special hub, special spokes, special rims, what isn´t special on those and i wonder how they will hold up if one spoke is missing, will the "pin" on the rims slide out becouse of the force from the spoke pulling in the other end or will the force on the rim be skew?

hope you understand my sometimes bad english

i´m a little sceptixal to those wheels, specialy considering that they arn´t so light considering the price

LBS Manager
    I was sceptical to until I thought about it more. They are only 20 grams heavier than the Cross max SLR and they are lighter than I nines unless you go with the ultra light set which some one at I9 told me is "disposable". You also have to factor in the weight of a rim strip for other wheels because I will never run tubes again. With all that in mind they are pretty light and without spoke holes in the rim it will be stiffer than most other rims. I used to break spokes quite frequently on traditional wheels but have never broken a straight pull spoke. That is why I will always run some sort of complete wheel over a custom.
    I had narrowed my search to 2 brands I9 and Crank Brothers but the I9 all mountain set with a rim strip is to heavy and I don't like the idea of using rim strips anyway. The only other option was Fulcrum but I didn't realy like the look of them.
    So I order my Cobalt set yesterday and if they are as good as I hope they will be I will be stocking at the store where I work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the crossmax slr my friend had was absout 1590 grams without skewers, so the AM wheels frin I9 are absout 40-50 grams hevier, but then you talk about a AM wheel. weoght of a rimstrip? if you have notubes rim, you talk about 6 gram per wheel, that isn´t any weight to talk about and mavic slr, fulcrum and shimano xtr, has no spoke hole in the rims either.

but my question to you, what do you think will happend IF a spoke breaks on those cobalt wheels. will the pin that the spokes sits in on the rims losen up from the rim if the spoke on the other side breaks? wouldn´t there also be a big side force on the rim to if one spoke breaks becouse of thet the spokes are attach so long from the center of the rim? you also have to consider that for example a I9 wheel has 32 spokes, so if one breaks, it shouldn´t infect the wheel to mutch. but thats just my wonders about the cobalt wheels, they looks cool, but i´m alittle sceptical to the construction, specialy if somethings brakes when i´m out on a trip in the forest.

LBS Manager
    The SLR is 1520 g, I9 ultra light 1410 (without rim strip) Cobalt 1540g the mavic and Fulcrum wheels do have one of the 2 walls drilled where the Cobalt has neither wall drilled. I am not worried about the spokes because I have never broken any straight pull spoke (yet). I have SLR,s on my bike now and I will never go back to tubes and I don't like rim strips so I think I made the right choice. I will find out how durable they are soon. From my dealings with both companies Crank bothers stand behind their product much better than Mavic.
    Last edited by Johnny Hair Boy; 05-31-2008 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what is the benefit of not having any sidewall drilled? the cobolt wheels has insted side forces on the flendge that the spokes are fasten in, insted of pulling forces as on traditional system and as on straight full wheel system.

hehe, you have never broked one straigt pull spoke, but some day it can happend

the SLR i have weighted has nog´t been any 1520 grams,

maby crankbrother stands better behind there products then mavic, but i don´t know if i would say that mavic is the objective for th market. mavic is big and can do alittle as they whant, crankbrothers are not so big, and has to have very good service or they will go under.

but it will be intresting to se your wheels for sure, even if i´m not so convinced about the construction
    Last edited by Baltazar; 06-01-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Saving lives with knives.
    The Crank Bros. have always had a penchant for unique designs: Sometimes it' some thing remarkably better than anything else (egg beaters) and sometimes it does the opposite (Cobalt Cranks--I haven't met one person without a failure). At least with the Crank Bros. you can rest assured that they will stand behind their product as they may have the best customer service in the industry. Let us know what you think when you get them.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rode these this weekend, what a difference from my stock bontrager rims ...I mounted a set of maxxis crossmark UTC tubless tires on them (was running the same tubed version though before). The bike accelerates and climbs like a dream now, and corners killer. Looks kewl to (click images for full size image):

Apr 2008
    Nice!

But I have to say, they'd look better on my bike. Please send them to me right away. I'll PM you my address.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GregKJ
    Nice!

But I have to say, they'd look better on my bike. Please send them to me right away. I'll PM you my address.
    LOL ...ok, lmk your address

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    man those are sexy!!! JUst bought mine today!!
    Whatever hurts you, can only make you stronger

*** Lechon Hauler ***
    [quote=harshguy236]I rode these this weekend, what a difference from my stock bontrager rims ...I mounted a set of maxxis crossmark UTC tubless tires on them (was running the same tubed version though before). The bike accelerates and climbs like a dream now, and corners killer. Looks kewl to (click images for full size image):

================================================== ======

May I ask where you purchased them?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair, I just cant wait 8wks for I9s... maybe...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    where are you guys getting these and what's the retail?

Are they like a fine bottle of wine -- if you have to ask you can't afford it?

Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kudude
    where are you guys getting these and what's the retail?

Are they like a fine bottle of wine -- if you have to ask you can't afford it?
    I think the MSRP is $1000 for the pair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have to say that they look worse then that they looked on the pictures i saw before. but thats just a personal mather of taste. and 1000 dollars for those, nothing for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    [QUOTE=SiNielito]
    Quote Originally Posted by harshguy236
    I rode these this weekend, what a difference from my stock bontrager rims ...I mounted a set of maxxis crossmark UTC tubless tires on them (was running the same tubed version though before). The bike accelerates and climbs like a dream now, and corners killer. Looks kewl to (click images for full size image):

================================================== ======

May I ask where you purchased them?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair, I just cant wait 8wks for I9s... maybe...
    I got mine at Bycicles Plus in Folsom California (I'm on vacatoin in Cozumel right now, don't have number ...but you can google them).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    how do the hubs compare to chris king and industry9?

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    so what i'm wondering about is the QR system, can anyone explain that?

Oct 2007
    love to know how they would work for clydes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The only thing I have to compare them to was the Bontrager Race Light wheels I was running. ....they perform better and look kewler to boot.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GregKJ
    I think the MSRP is $1000 for the pair.
    I'm thinking $1000 on an unproven wheel set up is a bit much. I would opt for the I9, custom, or Xmax SLR for that cash.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

LBS Manager
    I got mine today and was surprised by 2 things. when weighed with the skewer the rear wheel is 30 grams lighter than my rear cross max SLR. Also they stiffer and have less wind up than the SLR. I ditched the SLR because I am Anal about noise and couldn't handle the "cross max creak" anymore. The engagement on these feels about the same as I9's and they look beautiful. Also the tires converted way easier than on the Cross max (must be because of the wider rim.) I have them on my Ellsworth Epiphany and will post pics tomorrow.

LBS Manager
    Here are some pictures of the new wheels
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I got mine today and was surprised by 2 things. when weighed with the skewer the rear wheel is 30 grams lighter than my rear cross max SLR. Also they stiffer and have less wind up than the SLR. I ditched the SLR because I am Anal about noise and couldn't handle the "cross max creak" anymore. The engagement on these feels about the same as I9's and they look beautiful. Also the tires converted way easier than on the Cross max (must be because of the wider rim.) I have them on my Ellsworth Epiphany and will post pics tomorrow.
    wow that is some big claims. is there any tech specs that we could compare between crank bros and industry nines when it comes to it's engegements? The reason i ask is that i have a chance to pickup either a set of industry nine wheels but this crank bros look mighty nice and i might have to change my mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    how many engagement points to CB wheels have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No tech, but I looked at a set of the CB wheels at the shop the other day. In my opinion, they had nowhere near the number of engagement points of I9. In fact, they felt like they had less than Chris King as well. If nobody has an answer in the next couple of day, I'll count the engagement points next time I'm at the shop.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by shute
    wow that is some big claims. is there any tech specs that we could compare between crank bros and industry nines when it comes to it's engegements? The reason i ask is that i have a chance to pickup either a set of industry nine wheels but this crank bros look mighty nice and i might have to change my mine.
    The crank bros wheels have six pawls and just going by feel they engage as fast as anything I have felt. I haven't got the time to count the engagement points but trust me there are a lot of them. They engage faster than I will ever need them to. The Only I9's that are light enough for me are the ultra lights and someone at I9 told they have a disposable rim (didn't like the sound of that). Also these wheels do not need a rim strip. These wheels feel way nicer than my SLR's and after a few rides I can now say without a doubt they are stiffer and have less wind up. The best thing about these over my SLR's is that they don't have the cross max creak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just did a quick google search, and it seems like the Cobalt wheels have 48 engagement points. So 67% as many as King, and 40% of the I9's.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Butt ugly buggers

Man, that blue is hideous! Can you say fugly? Sheesh! I will stick with some high-end hubs and a craftsman to build my wheels....

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm interested in a set of these. I currently have the stock wheels on a Scott Scale 20 and they use the Centerlock for Shimano XT discs. Can I just bolt on any 160mm rotor on these and have them work with the XT brake set?

Thanks.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by J-san
    I'm interested in a set of these. I currently have the stock wheels on a Scott Scale 20 and they use the Centerlock for Shimano XT discs. Can I just bolt on any 160mm rotor on these and have them work with the XT brake set?

Thanks.
    Yes any rotor will work as long as the braking track is wide enough but XT's have one of the skinniest tracks there is so you should be ok with just about anything.

Jun 2008
    i got them and theyr awesome!!!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chestnut
    I just did a quick google search, and it seems like the Cobalt wheels have 48 engagement points. So 67% as many as King, and 40% of the I9's.
    well with 48 engagement points I dont see how they can have 6 pawls, that means only 8 teeth in the hub?, sounds more like mavic

update
    just found this
    The pawl system uses 6 oversized pawls with alternating 3-pawl engagement, yielding 48 clicks per revolution for instant engagement (7.5 degree maximum free-run before engagement).

I9s are 3 degree with 6 pawls,but uses all 6
    Last edited by dan0; 06-16-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Jun 2008

Nice wheels!!

I heard about those wheels from the cbo (cambria bike outfitter) web site... They advertise the weight at 1540g and sell them for 999.95... im really thinking hard about it!!!

Jan 2007
    WHERE CAN WE BUY THE DAMN WHEELS I NEED IT.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i've seen them on sale at chainreactioncycles.com

Jun 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    so anyone have a update after riding on these wheels for a bit? How are they holding up and any troubles showing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've ridden on them about a dozen times now ....holding up and working perfectly. I just picked up another set for my son's bike, he'll ride them for the first time tomrrow, I'll snap pics of his, he's got a light blue mtn bike so they look HELLA trick on his bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've ridden on them about a dozen times now ....holding up and working perfectly. I just picked up another set for my son's bike, he'll ride them for the first time tomrrow, I'll snap pics of his, he's got a light blue mtn bike so they look HELLA trick on his bike

Jan 2007
    Can't find any in stock.....
    ibikedoyou2.com will have them in stock on 07/15/08 selling $833.95

Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=harshguy236]
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNielito

I got mine at Bycicles Plus in Folsom California (I'm on vacatoin in Cozumel right now, don't have number ...but you can google them).
    Do you have the website? Cheers.

mtbr member
    hi
    it's invelable in France
    i receve mine yesturday
    splendid
    Ellsworth addict cince 16 years

mtbr member
    DAMN thats a good looking wheel. time to start saving. anyone ride on them who is >190 lbs? Wonder how they will hold up to wieght like mine.
    Bravo Shot
    Speed Saves
    www.myspace.com/bravoshot

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    [QUOTE=fchan]

Do you have the website? Cheers.
    http://www.onlinecycling.com/

mtbr member
    Wow 1st mtbr post . Here's a set on my Rush, just got em last week and so far so good. I figured I'd get one of the most expensive upgrades out of the way first.

mtbr member
    i just put it on my truth

looks good, light, tubeless
    i like it
    Ellsworth addict cince 16 years

Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS
    i just put it on my truth

looks good, light, tubeless
    i like it
    Wow mad color frame and wheelset.....tell us more about your experience with the set of wheels.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by Abibabi
    As far as I know, they are not going to be available via mail order.. only at LBS or Drop Locations (per Crank Bro's request)

The guys at my LBS (Cambria in SLO), said they are getting some for all of their stores in CA. Unsure as to when, but I can't wait.. those are damn sexy!
    Universal Cycle has the Colbalt XC and the Iodine AM listed on their website.
    They currently don't have stock on them though...
    (looking at the image of the Iodine's... it actually looks like the Colbalt just re-coloured, wait a minute, it actually says Colbalt on them!)

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Apr 2008
    Thanks for the info, pub.. I think I'll just wait for my LBS to get them in though.. I try to support LBS's whenever possible!

Jul 2008
    Well, first post here, but while we are talking about light wheelsets, what about the Easton one xcs...
    here for only $350..
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...eelset+08.aspx
    1590 grams is only 50 grams heavier at almost 1/3 the price of the cobalts.

And what about the AC wheeset.... 1520 grams and about $600
    http://www.amclassic.com/mtb_disc_26.html

If you want strength and style you can get spynergy xyclone disks for about $520 new on ebay and they weigh about 1605-1695grams depending on the source and are an MTBR award winning wheelset...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-SPINERG...3286.m20.l1116

mtbr member
    Like all CB products...look sweet....and like all CB products I have owned....tend to break alot, so I hope these are an exception. CS is good, but I dont like having to return everything I buy from them either. How are these wheels holding up for you guys? Def are pretty. Certainly dont look as stiff as the i9's.

LBS Manager
    So Far so good for me. The Cobalt wheels are definitely a lot stiffer than they look. I was surprised by how stiff mine are. As I mentioned earlier the guys at I9 told me that the ultra light is in their opinion a disposable wheel . The ultra light is the only set that is light enough for me, by the time you ad skewers and tubless rim strips to the other I9's they are not so light.

mtbr member
    I ran into a pro racer last year at a race and we were talking about wheels. She had a custom build (by Dave's Speed Dream) of the Olympic ZTRs she likes alot. She had ridden on the AC set, and burned out their hubs very quickly.
    Bravo Shot
    Speed Saves

mtbr member
    i am 260 pds clydesdale and i just finished racing downieclassic xc race. they held up great and i put them through a very hard physical ride with no problems. i was skeptical before i purchased them but coming from an 819 mavic with king hub rims, i was impressed. They are a little expensive but they are great and the looks are #1 too.

mtbr member
    You rode the Cobalts? Sorry, the thread started picking up other wheels as well. How long have you been riding them?
    Bravo Shot
    Speed Saves

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Shot
    You rode the Cobalts? Sorry, the thread started picking up other wheels as well. How long have you been riding them?
    i got this wheelset in early may. i have raced them twice and had great luck with them. This was the first time i raced in downieville and i put them to the test and they performed unbelievable. i was initially concerned with having a strong enough hub to withstand my weight but they are plenty strong. i have had went through 4 mavic hubs but the cobalt and chris king hubs have held up great. if you ever have an opportunity to ride in the downieville classic, do it. It is AWESOME!!!!

mtbr member
    thanks. thats the info i was looking for. Not sure i'm going to get out the CA to race, but the website for the race looks cool. is it part of a series?
    Bravo Shot
    Speed Saves

mtbr member
    not that i know of but it was a blast

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So Far so good for me. The Cobalt wheels are definitely a lot stiffer than they look. I was surprised by how stiff mine are. As I mentioned earlier the guys at I9 told me that the ultra light is in their opinion a disposable wheel . The ultra light is the only set that is light enough for me, by the time you ad skewers and tubless rim strips to the other I9's they are not so light.

? rimstrip? notubes yellow tape, 6-7 grams per wheel. skewer, thats about 60 grams, with that you will still end up under 1500 grams for the ultralite wheelset.

the cobalt weight, isn´t that also without skewers?

I dont understand how you can think that ultralite wheelset are heavy, but at the same time can say that another wheelset, that weight the same or even more, are light

not saying that cobalt wheelset isn´t good, just thouht it was alittle bitt strange to say that samoething that are lighter, are to heavy

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Do the cobalt's come in a 29er version?

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar
    ? rimstrip? notubes yellow tape, 6-7 grams per wheel. skewer, thats about 60 grams, with that you will still end up under 1500 grams for the ultralite wheelset.

the cobalt weight, isn´t that also without skewers?

I dont understand how you can think that ultralite wheelset are heavy, but at the same time can say that another wheelset, that weight the same or even more, are light

not saying that cobalt wheelset isn´t good, just thouht it was alittle bitt strange to say that samoething that are lighter, are to heavy
    I never said the ultra light's were heavy I said they were the only I9's that ARE light enough. The problem with the ultra lights is that the guy I spoke with at I9 said they are "disposable". It is the other I9's wheels that I think are to heavy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I never said the ultra light's were heavy I said they were the only I9's that ARE light enough. The problem with the ultra lights is that the guy I spoke with at I9 said they are "disposable". It is the other I9's wheels that I think are to heavy.

the I9 AM version, weight 100 grams more then ultralite, so that should be the same weight as cobalt wheelset, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Jan 2007

iodine Wheelset

Anyone knows when the iodine wheelset will be out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

How loud the rear hub?

Hello Cobalt wheels owners, is the rear hub as loud as King and I9's? thanks

LBS Manager
    My rear hub was very loud just as loud as a king but a nicer clicking sound not the ball bearings in blender sound you get from kings. I silenced mine with a little Fox float fluid now it is totally silent.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    My rear hub was very loud just as loud as a king but a nicer clicking sound not the ball bearings in blender sound you get from kings. I silenced mine with a little Fox float fluid now it is totally silent.
    you pulled the hubs apart and re lubed the pawls allready? with fox float fluid? hmmm
    thats some thick sticky stuff, the sound that hubs make is the ratcheting of the pawls against the freehub body I hope that float fluid doesnt make the pawls stick on them.
    what about the warranty now that you've used a un approved lube?

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    you pulled the hubs apart and re lubed the pawls allready? with fox float fluid? hmmm
    thats some thick sticky stuff, the sound that hubs make is the ratcheting of the pawls against the freehub body I hope that float fluid doesnt make the pawls stick on them.
    what about the warranty now that you've used a un approved lube?

The instructions that come with the wheels call for grease on the pawls. Grease is a lot thicker and stickier than float fluid so I will be fine. I have used float fluid in many different hubs and it has been able to quiet all of them with no ill effects. I know some people like the loud noise of a hub with little or no lube in it but I don't. I have silenced kings and even an original Hugi form 1995 with float fluid both worked perfectly. The rear hub on the Crank Brothers wheels is one of the nicest I have ever worked on, realy good engineering the system is super simple and easy to clean and work on. They come apart and go back together way easier than I 9's which are also very nice but just not quite as nice to work on.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    The instructions that come with the wheels call for grease on the pawls. Grease is a lot thicker and stickier than float fluid so I will be fine. I have used float fluid in many different hubs and it has been able to quiet all of them with no ill effects. I know some people like the loud noise of a hub with little or no lube in it but I don't. I have silenced kings and even an original Hugi form 1995 with float fluid both worked perfectly. The rear hub on the Crank Brothers wheels is one of the nicest I have ever worked on, realy good engineering the system is super simple and easy to clean and work on. They come apart and go back together way easier than I 9's which are also very nice but just not quite as nice to work on.
    did you clean out the grease or just add the float fluid?
    Im wondering about quieting my I9s

LBS Manager
    I used alcohol spray and cleaned everything off the pawls and the hub body. I then smeared some float fluid on both the pawls and the hub body. I used enough so that it was almost dripping off but not enough that it was pooling in the hub. That has made every hub I have don it on at least 60 to 70 % quieter. You will still feel the crisp engagement but will have a stealthier sounding hub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    well with 48 engagement points I dont see how they can have 6 pawls, that means only 8 teeth in the hub?, sounds more like mavic

update
    just found this
    The pawl system uses 6 oversized pawls with alternating 3-pawl engagement, yielding 48 clicks per revolution for instant engagement (7.5 degree maximum free-run before engagement).

I9s are 3 degree with 6 pawls,but uses all 6
    Yes I9's have 6 pawls but only 3 are engaged at any one time. The other three are offset by 3degrees.
    Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Jan 2007
    I used alcohol spray and cleaned everything off the pawls and the hub body. I then smeared some float fluid on both the pawls and the hub body. I used enough so that it was almost dripping off but not enough that it was pooling in the hub. That has made every hub I have don it on at least 60 to 70 % quieter. You will still feel the crisp engagement but will have a stealthier sounding hub.
    How long have you been using the float fluid on Cobalt hubs? Just curious as I have finally bought a set and have put in on but have not had a chance to ride it due to work comitment and waiting for other parts as well....XT shadow RD.

"El Whatever"
    Two things...

1.- Have you used Fox Fluid on Hope's??
    2.- Where are the pics of that sweet Cobalt internals?? Pawls?? How many?? Come on... feed us gear whores!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    last night i was riding after work and i blow out the rear hub. i am not to happy right now. it will be interesting what happens with the hub. my lbs will be sending it back to crankbrothers to see it they stand behind their product. i would be surprised if they don't fix it. my experience in the past has been very good with them. i will let you know the outcome of the hubs. fyi, the rims are very very strong.......

Apr 2008
    Any word on which was they're leaning? Or is it too early yet?

mtbr member
    i just got back my rim today. Crankbrothers sent a new free hub out to my LBS with no questions asked. They really are making a great effort to make my wheels great again. I am VERY impressed!!!!! I am looking forward to taking my bike out this weekend.

mtbr member
    The bike shop I work at just got a set. I fell in love and I think I might just be selling my Crossmax SL for them.

Lungs, Legs, Luck
    When I first saw these, I knew I had to have them. BUT, they are exactly the WRONG color for my green Blur. Also, I'm currently running American Classics, which are about the same weight, so it's kinda hard to justify the price tag right now. Oh well, guess I just have to wait until I build my "dream bike".

Super Fly
    Do they really weight 1400 grams?

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by droptopchevy
    The bike shop I work at just got a set. I fell in love and I think I might just be selling my Crossmax SL for them.
    I got rid of my creak max slr's for a set of cobalt's in the spring and couldn't be happier. On our shop scale the cobalt's were 40 grams lighter than the mavics with skewers and valves included on both sets.

Super Fly
    My Damn Mavic SLR are overweight. Its over 1600g without skewers and stem.

Let's fly!
    Well, I hope all these positive experiences are the rule rather than the exception. I just ordered a set of Cobalts. I usually don't experiment with unusual designs, expecially with high dollar products. But these just called to me. 650 grams less than my current wheels, rapid engagement, great company, and they just look cool. I can hardly wait to get a few rides on them to ensure I didn't make a hugely expensive mistake! I'm psyched to ride them and feel the difference over a pound less rolling weight makes in my riding!

Jul 2008
    hey boss, i noticed that your brakes and shifters are almost vertical. Why do you have them pointed so far down

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by worthy_4242
    i just got back my rim today. Crankbrothers sent a new free hub out to my LBS with no questions asked. They really are making a great effort to make my wheels great again. I am VERY impressed!!!!! I am looking forward to taking my bike out this weekend.
    So when you said "I blew out the rear hub", just what was the mode of failure?
    Last edited by Simplemind; 09-19-2008 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    the pawls tore through the housing. when i pedaled i have freewheel pedaling forward. that is not a good thing but i am very impressed with crankbrothers on how fast they got my LBS the parts to fix it. i was back on the mountain in less than a week. But i notice now that my wheel is quieter than before. That is no big deal.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    the pawls tore through the housing. when i pedaled i have freewheel pedaling forward. that is not a good thing but i am very impressed with crankbrothers on how fast they got my LBS the parts to fix it. i was back on the mountain in less than a week. But i notice now that my wheel is quieter than before. That is no big deal.

while the support is great, I hope yours is a fluke, Ive been hearing more and more reports of crank Bros problems.( pedals, cranks)
    Im anxious to see if anyone else has this problem. Did they say why the pawls tore through? too light weight?

Super Fly
    Man thats scary, Pushing hard up a hill and all the sudden freewheel and you go smack onto something.
    A Broke-Back-Mountian-Bike is GAY

2006 Nicolai TST
    2006 Specailized S-Works Stumpjumper Carbon
    2008 Ibis Mojo SL

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    chain reaction has these for $860!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=28129

May the Force be with you
    How are the wheels holding up?

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalchico
    I put an entire season on them and they held up much better than my cross max SLR,s did. no real problems to speak of.

mtbr member
    i really liked the wheels. they are not the lightest but they held up pretty well. I really enjoyed them all season long.

JDO
    Heart Plumber
    I got my cobalts as a gift from my wife. This is the post in the Passion forum:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=479799

This wheels are amazing, better than my SLR´s.

JDO
    Heart Plumber

Hi Jhonny. How did you disassemble the rear hub? The user manual that come with the wheel says something about pulling the rear axle, but it not mention any tool. It´s tool free? Could you give me some light on this please?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Trying to visualize this spoke arrangement. Is the only threaded part where the two halves of the spoke join? Both ends of each half spin (one in the hub, the other where it connects to the rim?). Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sctonn
    Trying to visualize this spoke arrangement. Is the only threaded part where the two halves of the spoke join? Both ends of each half spin (one in the hub, the other where it connects to the rim?). Thanks.
    This shot seems to show how they work. The spokes look like they are in 2 pieces, one attached to the rim and the other to the hub and they screw together.

Tim

Edit: woops, I should read more carefully as you already know this.
    Last edited by Wombat; 12-30-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Looking good

Quote Originally Posted by JDO
    I got my cobalts as a gift from my wife. This is the post in the Passion forum:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=479799

The wheels look Great! I have a GT force in Blue I think these would look great on.

Maybe soon

Thanks for the pic's

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfoxy76

$999 on Cambria. Use coupon code cbosave258 to get 25% off ($750). Not sure if they'll honor it though since it says it excludes all 2009 stock. I tried using it in the checkout and it did apply the discount.

https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd....+DISC+WHEELSET
    No moss...

Thank -You!

aka übermensch
    A few pics of mine that I put on my bike a week ago. Have 3 rides on them and not afraid of breaking them. I feel confident that they can handle anything I do. I weigh 200 with gear. Someone asked about how loud they are-louder than kings, but not as loud as I9s

Last edited by Triple T; 12-31-2008 at 08:55 AM.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalchico
    Thank -You!
    Be sure to post back & let us know if they honored it. I've had stuff approved before & gotten the order confirmation email only to have them email back me to let me know my order has been canceled.
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    That bike's too pretty to ride.
    No moss...

LBS Manager
    Hi Jhonny. How did you disassemble the rear hub? The user manual that come with the wheel says something about pulling the rear axle, but it not mention any tool. It´s tool free? Could you give me some light on this please?
    There are no tools for the hub. You just remove the cassette and pull the free hub off with you bare hands.
    You are so right about these wheels being better than the SLR's my SLR's were driving me crazy.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by übermensch
    A few pics of mine that I put on my bike a week ago. Have 3 rides on them and not afraid of breaking them. I feel confident that they can handle anything I do. I weigh 200 with gear. Someone asked about how loud they are-louder than kings, but not as loud as I9s

You and I seem to have the same blue fetish

aka übermensch
    removed
    08 Ibis Mojo SL

aka übermensch
    Yep, it sure looks that way Johnny Hair Boy. Beautiful Ellsworth by the way
    08 Ibis Mojo SL

cable

What cables are you running? I like the blue.

LBS Manager
    I run Nokon's on all my bikes they out perform anything out there (if they are installed right) and they look great. The brake hoses are goodridge.

Thanks

I run Nokon's on all my bikes they out perform anything out there (if they are installed right) and they look great. The brake hoses are goodridge.

Thanks you for the info.

mtbr member
    http://www.ebikestop.com/crank_broth...lue-WE3000.php before someone buys it for $999.00

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Has anyone broke a spoke on these wheels yet? Where did you get a replacement? I contacted CB asking where I could buy a replacement spoke or just a single rim and they said there was no one currently selling the spokes or individual rims. I want these wheels but they seems sketch if you can't find replacement parts.

LBS Manager
    You can get some replacement parts direct from CB. I have some spokes in stock.

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    I had a pair a few months ago before it got stolen. I had a problem with the rear hub kind of coming apart. Has anyone else had the problem?? Like the silver end caps would come off and the pawls on the golden piece where the cassetee goes on came off as well. Im thinkin of getting another pair.

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    I had a pair a few months ago before it got stolen. I had a problem with the rear hub kind of coming apart. Has anyone else had the problem?? Like the silver end caps would come off and the pawls on the golden piece where the cassetee goes on came off as well. Im thinkin of getting another pair.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FortOrdDirt

Thank you for the link

mtbr member
    no prob, are you pulling the trigger?

mtbr member
    Here you have... a follow up from MBR test on those wheels.
    Yes... UK gunk!

mtbr member
    i would agree with those findings. i have had my wheels since March or April and i have had to have the rear wheel rebuilt once. But lately i have had the similar symptoms that i had before i had it rebuilt back in august. I am going to take it in and have it looked at my LBS. i will give you an update soon.

Wow, Glad I saw this. I might just hold off on those wheels tell they get this fixed.
    I understand they are under warranty but what happens after the warranty expires.
    How much would a repair like this cost?

mtbr member
    just wondering if these will have a 15mm front hub converter anytime soon?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i would agree with those findings. i have had my wheels since March or April and i have had to have the rear wheel rebuilt once. But lately i have had the similar symptoms that i had before i had it rebuilt back in august. I am going to take it in and have it looked at my LBS. i will give you an update soon.
    Hey, what were the symptoms you were (are) having? ...mine and my son's bikes are acting "funky" I kept thinking it was our cassetes/chains i.e. something in our drive train, but maybe it's the hubs on our crank bros???

mtbr member
    Those cobalts are pretty tight! but i love my i9's!!!! I considered the red version of that wheel, but no one knew much about them.
    My Mojo http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=477532

When only the finest will do... www.iClique.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey, what were the symptoms you were (are) having? ...mine and my son's bikes are acting "funky" I kept thinking it was our cassetes/chains i.e. something in our drive train, but maybe it's the hubs on our crank bros???

OK ..well I'm a freaking retard!!! ...hubs are fine ...I had brough my and my son's bikes in to have cables replaced, brakes, chains replaced, and a full tune up in preperation for our race season ...and told them not to lube the chains as I like to use Pedro's Ice wax ...well guess what we forgot to do before our ride on Saturday

Riding style

Guy's what type of riding do you guy's do? These seem like pretty good wheels. I do xc riding no drops or anything but a little all mountain stuff if you want to call it that.

What do you think?

May 2007

Cobalts

I got a pair on Tuesday and they are SWEEET!
    Best aesthetic, and performance upgrade that I can imagine..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Where do you get your hoses from?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    OK ..well I'm a freaking retard!!! ...hubs are fine ...I had brough my and my son's bikes in to have cables replaced, brakes, chains replaced, and a full tune up in preperation for our race season ...and told them not to lube the chains as I like to use Pedro's Ice wax ...well guess what we forgot to do before our ride on Saturday

Ok so maybe I'm not so retarded after all ..after funky drive train issued again this last weekend, I put the bike up on a stand and mess with this and that ...and rrealize that the hub really does feel very gunked up, to the point where it won't really spin if I drop the wheel and try to spin the hub by hand!! ...so it's to my LBS this morning with a copy of that article posted a couple of pages back ....this time I'm gonna insist they open the hub up and look ...will post my findings.

I spoke to Crank brothers and he in formed me that they have fixed the issue and will repalce hubs no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What is their process? ..take to LBS where purchased or send to CB ..and what kind of turnaround? ...the thing that kind of burns me (at my LBS not CB at this point) is that I was looking into this weeks ago, to avoid the situation I find myself in now,,, 1st season race this sunday, and looks like I get to use my stock rear wheel for it ...I'm sure I'm not gonna get 1st place beacuse of that

Turn around depends on where you live. Since Crank Brothers is Here in California, I could get a turn around in a couple of day's. From past dealings with them they are Great in regards to customer service.

Good Luck and sorry to hear about the wheels.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried the 15mm thru axle version yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm going to be building an xc bike soon, and am considering the 09 Fox F100 w/ 15mm. Anyone know if there is an adapter I can use to make this wheelset work? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575fanboy
    I'm going to be building an xc bike soon, and am considering the 09 Fox F100 w/ 15mm. Anyone know if there is an adapter I can use to make this wheelset work? Thanks!
    Crank Bros sells the 15mm thru axle kit online if your LBS does not stock them. Was also considering this wheelset but my LBS here in Singapore is out of stock for the longest time. They sure are very bling.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/wheel_tech.php

mtbr member
    I'm planning on doing the same thing, but waiting until April when the champagne colored wheelset is available.

Well I passed on the wheels and purchased a bunch of other stuff I needed. New light, tires ect. Hope to get the wheels in the near future.

transmitter~receiver
    the design of these wheels seems to be based 100% on gimmicky marketing and 0% on solid engineering (surprise, surprise... so it goes in the bike world).

JDO
    Heart Plumber
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    the design of these wheels seems to be based 100% on gimmicky marketing and 0% on solid engineering (surprise, surprise... so it goes in the bike world).

Well.... not so fast. The design is actually very clever. The rim is not perforated, so forget about metal fatigue cracks. After two months of almost daily use the wheels are in perfect condition. The wheels could be serviced tool free, the internals look like a jewell and are lighter than my old Mavic SLR´s with no exotic materials and no mystery, just good engineering. They come with service instructions and the support is as it should be. CB will sell parts for service ( Service any god mechanic could do) and you can email the company for info and they answer same day...

transmitter~receiver
    I didn't say they wouldn't work... just that the design puts novelty first and good engineering second. It's not a bad marketing move, but it is marketing rather than solid engineering.
    If you consider the ribs that the spokes are connected to part of the rim (I would), then it is perforated and the ribs actually see at least twice the force that individual spoke holes do. also, the fact that two spokes that are loaded at different times (drive-side during pedaling, non-ds during braking) are connected to the same rib makes it highly probable that the rib will deflect laterally (both ways) at least some during normal riding. aluminum is highly susceptible to fatigue and this set-up maximizes that possibility, at least theoretically.
    Low-spoke-count wheels are a gimmicky marketing trick and paired spokes are required to make extremely low-spoke-count wheels even work. This is just an extreme example of low spoke count and pairing spokes... and goes beyond that to put them in their worst possible application... disc-braked wheels. Also, the lower the spoke count, the beefier the rim must be, and the weight you're adding is nearly as far from the axis of rotation as you can be, increasing the moment of inertia of the wheel over a wheel with similar weight but more spokes (i.e., rim support points).
    Also, the following statement from the CB website regarding the spoke number and arrangement is annoyingly dead wrong:
    designed with twelve points of contact on a 24-spoke wheel to create balanced tension.
    looking beyond the fact that it's not even a complete sentence, in a wheel with an equal number of spokes on each side, neither the number of points of contact nor the number of spokes has anything to do with balancing tension. the only thing that can balance tension right-to-left is to have zero dish, and both of these wheels (front and rear) are dished.
    they do look pretty cool (what they were designed to do) and i'm happy that you're happy with them. they are not, however, an example of good engineering. an engineer did a good enough job to make a business person's marketing dream actually work, but that doesn't make them good engineering.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by übermensch

So this is the machine... The wheels look sick, mine should arrive next week

mtbr member
    Mine came in at 1551g 868g for read 683g for front

aka übermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker
    So this is the machine... The wheels look sick, mine should arrive next week
    That's her. I think you'll be happy with yours when you get them. Perfect for Florida riding.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Blue ultimates

NICE BRAKESETS!! where did you get those blue ultimates? thanks!

awesome bike man!!

mtbr member
    I have taken off the cobalts off of my race bike and added them to a hardtail and i am still very happy with the wheels. If you buy them, you will be very satisfied however, i have been through 2 rear hubs. But they have been replaced within a week with no questions asked by crankbros. It would be hard to find a company now adays that would replace so fast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Got mine 2 days ago.. super sweet rims!! gonna test it tom!

mtbr member
    So my rear hub finally got contaminated. The freehub clicks and groans, and sometimes it will seize up and the pedals will turn with the wheel. I emailed cb, and I guess I just gotta clean and regrease the bearings

Are they staying true?

mtbr member
    bike

mtbr member
    i have had my set since early last year and i have had nothing but GREAT LUCK with these wheels. They haven't needed any adjustment at all. I have taken them off of my carbon epic and put them on my new soul cycles hardtail. If you buy you will truly enjoy them and they still have the most bling factor on the trail today. i will post my bike later.

Looks sweet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just got the bike months ago. have not tried really hard yet on this Rig.

Hi Radarosh : How did you find the Epic with the Cobalt ?

mtbr member
    I just blow out the rear hub for the 4th time. I am done. Crank brothers has always fixed them fast and without charging me anything but I have had them only one year. I am tired of this. Anyone want to buy them?

mtbr member
    reallly??? What do you mean by blown out? Mine just gets realyl sticky

Oct 2005
    Anyone have pics of the insides of the hubs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    glad i read this i had these on a short list of wheels to get, just got struck off

mtbr member
    Interesting, the bike I'm looking at for next year will be coming stock with a pair of these...
    Good thing I've got a set of I9's too, I guess I will be keeping them around - they've been bomproof for the last 2 years.

Let's fly!
    I got mine back in September. Raced 24 Hours of Moab on them (extreme sand), ridden them in a variety of conditions, currently racing the Expert class at the Winter Park Mountain Bike Race Series which include river crossings. No problems at all so far.

Based on a prior post on this thread about CrankBrothers updating the seals, I took mine back to my LBS and asked if I had the newest seals. They talked to CrankBrothers, CB sent a new cassette carrier and seals, LBS installed and said "the new seals are definitely more robust and a better setup".

I did not have any problems before getting the new seals in spite of riding/racing in sand and mud and muck, have ridden/raced them since, no problems whatsoever. I'm 6'2" and 180 pounds. I ride a lot of rocky trails (pretty much a given since I live at the base of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado) and they have stayed perfectly true. I tightened the spokes once. Am running tubeless and that is working well with Specialized 2Bliss tires (Captain and Eskar).

It would be interesting to hear rider size, type of riding, and type of terrain that people are using these in. Particularly those who have "blown" hubs. And a definition of what "blown" means.

A couple other data points about my riding -- the bearings inside my Hadley 108s crumbled not once but twice; they replaced each time very rapidly, second time they replaced with their 72 which has worked well for a couple of years for me.

In addition, I broke both the front and the rear triangle on my Yeti 575.

My point is that I am not cruising bike paths with my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    got a pair, rode them once but there is soooo much drag in the freehub body... pedals would spin by themselves, chain would almost wrap around cassette... it's all caused by the seal behind the freehub, if I remove it it's fine.. Gave CB a call and they are sending me a new freehub.. Hopefully I receive it sometime this week..

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    we just had the same problem happen to us. emailed crank bros.. you can hear it on the vid..

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FZdRkRkkwyE&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FZdRkRkkwyE&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    The new black and gold sets look sick.

Oct 2005
    I was hoping someone could show the innards on those hubs...especially now.

mtbr member
    If you get an Ibis Mojo, you can get the Cobalts in either Red or Gold too...

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    Here are some pictures of the new wheels

Aren't those the XC wheels? Would you be better off with enduro/all mtn.? I am asking for my referance. I am just curious for I am looking for wheelset

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Lynskey M230 with Cobalt Wheels

I've used mavic SL wheelset before cobalt. So far I'm very satisfied with the wheel. It's incredibly strong and awesome looking wheel. It climbs and rolls really fast.Seems like the cobalt haven't been flying off the shelves as expected, one might be able to get good deal. I got mine for only USD 780. I would recommend this wheel to anyone.

Good job Crank Brothers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iClique
    If you get an Ibis Mojo, you can get the Cobalts in either Red or Gold too...
    where did you get this pic? I am looking at their website and only see the blue, black and champagne. I'd like the red cuz it matches my bike...

Extra Crispy
    That black and gold set is sick. I'd buy them but $1000 is a bit steep.

mtbr member
    I broker another set of the blue cobalt wheels. This the 5x the rear hub has failed. What do I do?

mtbr member
    that is the same sound that i have heard 5 times. I just did that sound last night on a normal afterwork ride. I am getting very frustrated with these wheels.

what did crankbros do for you when you emailed them?

I emailed them and called them this morning. I haven't heard back from them yet. I will give them a few days, they are probably at interbike in vegas.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I broker another set of the blue cobalt wheels. This the 5x the rear hub has failed. What do I do?
    I would say its time to move on, seems obvious that they are not compatible with your style of riding

mtbr member
    i am once they give fixed. they are going away. do you think crank bros will do anything or just tell me to pound sand. i have to admit they have fixed them every time no questions asked but they might no there is a serious problem.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    i am once they give fixed. they are going away. do you think crank bros will do anything or just tell me to pound sand. i have to admit they have fixed them every time no questions asked but they might no there is a serious problem.
    I think they should either fix them or replace them.
    Im having a similar problem with another companys wheels, 2 times for me, once more and Im moving on.
    It sucks that you pay big $$ for a wheelset only to find out its not strong enough. I specifically asked if I was too heavy (220lbs) or if my wheels arent meant for all mtn. type riding , and was assured that the wheels are more than strong enough. time will tell
    as far as relying on the comments in these forums , I've given up on that, too many personal agendas to get honest feedback. My new plan is to only rely on reports of problems & breakage NO Glowing positive feedback. If something has no problems then Ill assume its great

so far Ive managed to break 3 frames, 6 swingarrms and 3 rear hubs all by different manufacturers. I dont jump or huck off things just ride rocky rooty new england single track. On the plus side every single break has been covered under warranty.
    Seems to be very difficult to build a bullet proof bike under 30lbs.
    I wish the manufacturers would test things for heavier , harder type riding. I would rather not buy something because it wasnt rated for me than buy stuff only to have it break

mtbr member
    it crank bros credit they have ALWAYS fixed it without a question but i think it is time to move on. This last hub lasted about 8 rides maybe 10 and this isn't my primary bike. It is on my secondary hard tail bike. As for the rest of the hoops and spokes, BULLET PROOF. I have had NO problem with that just the rear hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

cobalt red

they are to the search of the cobalts red!!!
    can help me!!!
    thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

cobalt red

they are to the search of the cobalts red!!!
    can help me!!!
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by panda-man
    where did you get this pic? I am looking at their website and only see the blue, black and champagne. I'd like the red cuz it matches my bike...
    You can only get the Red Cobalts exclusively from Ibis as an upgrade to a Mojo build.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    it crank bros credit they have ALWAYS fixed it without a question but i think it is time to move on. This last hub lasted about 8 rides maybe 10 and this isn't my primary bike. It is on my secondary hard tail bike. As for the rest of the hoops and spokes, BULLET PROOF. I have had NO problem with that just the rear hub.

By buddy had the same problem, went thru 3 hub bodies and now we finally received a new wheelset so we can sell and try to make some $$$ back. in the other hand, i havent had 1 issue with my cobalts on the epic.

mtbr member
    I got a full refund on my wheelset. It took me over 1 month but they gave me the entire amount back. I blew up the rear hub 5 times and they decided to give me all the money back.

Thank you crankbros for standing behind your products. I am a fan for life and I will always endorse a company that stands up for their products through the good and bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I got a full refund on my wheelset. It took me over 1 month but they gave me the entire amount back. I blew up the rear hub 5 times and they decided to give me all the money back.

Thank you crankbros for standing behind your products. I am a fan for life and I will always endorse a company that stands up for their products through the good and bad.
    Yes, they may have done the right thing, but I'm not sure that's exactly "standing behind [their] products." Wouldn't that involve being confident that they could give you a product that actually worked rather than simply refunding you and waving the white flag?

mtbr member
    I am glad they finally through in the towel. I got sick of breaking the rear hub and having to wait a minimum of 2 weeks to get it fixed. I can't imagine that crankbros has given a full refund but at this point what can they do. It happen 5 times. They did say that were putting out a "new" hub that they were not done testing but i would have to wait, which i chose not to. I waited long enough for the check. As for the strength of the rim and the stokes, i have never had a problem with having to tru or adjust.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Howdy,

Are any of you guys experiencing play in the rear wheel? I've had a set for a month now and noticed the play about a week ago. CB told me the play is normal because they don't preload the bearings, and that the play dissapears when riding or seated. I'm not satisfied with that answer. Good thing I live near laguna beach.

Cheers,
    majorbonr

mtbr member

No good

Well I just don't know what to say except that I'm lucky the wheel did not fail at high speed and I was still abvle to pedal home although very very slowly.

" width="549">

This is my full suspension bike where it was installed. A Trek Fuel EX8 2009.

" width="549">

I hope it gets replaced under warranty. Been using it for 9 months. It broke while I was going uphill. I don't even jump my bike. Just the usual XC stuff. I'm 6'1" tall and weigh about 225-230 lbs.

responsible zombie owner
    I wouldn't want to pay $$$ to be a company's guinea pig - and I say that as a big fan of C Bros pedals.

mtbr member
    only 25 grams lighter than my wtb/sun equalizer setup.. except mine is 32 spoke, durable, and zero proprietary parts!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lexvil
    Well I just don't know what to say except that I'm lucky the wheel did not fail at high speed and I was still abvle to pedal home although very very slowly.

This is my full suspension bike where it was installed. A Trek Fuel EX8 2009.

I hope it gets replaced under warranty. Been using it for 9 months. It broke while I was going uphill. I don't even jump my bike. Just the usual XC stuff. I'm 6'1" tall and weigh about 225-230 lbs.
    I was waiting since the day i saw these wheels for this to happen.

mtbr member
    This just in. Replacement is on the way. Great customer service!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Received a black and gold pair last week. The front hub was a grinder and the rear wheel wouldn't fit square in my dropouts, XTR and Crossmax wheelsets were fine. They were shipped back ASAP.

mtbr member

Tape/ Rim Strips to go tubeless?

do you need tape and rim strips to set up tubeless with these wheeels? Want to mount Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron EVO's ( NON UST)

mtbr member
    tubeless ready

Ride Hard, Ride Fast!!!
    Just got a used set of iodines...sweet wheels! i've never done tubeless before. What kind of valves do I need? I take it I need UST specific tires and maybe sealant?

mtbr member
    LBS is recommending tape, rim strip, and sealant to mount the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Do I really need the tape and rim strip though??? The sealant, I understand.

How are some of you people running tubeless on the Cobalts??? And anyone running them with the Schwalbe EVO tires??
    Tape/ Rim Strips and sealant? Just sealant?

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    The cobalts don't require a rim strip to set up tubeless.

I plan on setting these up with some tires later today.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc71
    LBS is recommending tape, rim strip, and sealant to mount the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Do I really need the tape and rim strip though??? The sealant, I understand.

How are some of you people running tubeless on the Cobalts??? And anyone running them with the Schwalbe EVO tires??
    Tape/ Rim Strips and sealant? Just sealant?

Thanks!!!
    from their web site
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/support/faq_wheelset.php

sometimes with a non tubeless tire people will add tape and such to give the regular tire something to seal to. tubeless ready and UST tires have a special locking bead that locks to the rim. Personally I wouldnt use a tire that didnt seal to a tubeless rim

mtbr member
    May 2006
    hey all,

just got a redesigned freehub body from crank brothers- one that solves the cracking/ other freehub problems of the past. i'll get some pictures up soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbgore
    hey all,

just got a redesigned freehub body from crank brothers- one that solves the cracking/ other freehub problems of the past. i'll get some pictures up soon.
    Any pics yet?

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of black and gold cobalts two months ago for my Rocky Mountain Element.

I'm running the 2.1 Kenda Nevegal USTs front and rear and have to say, bar none, this is the absolute best after market product I've ever tried for the bike.

I'm absolutely hammering the trails (rocky, rooty, New England single track), accelerating up hills and generally going much faster and farther with less fatigue than with the usual tube type setup.

Worth the money? You bet! Would I go back to tubes? NFW!

I've only had one breakdown when a stick snapped off the rear valve stem! Whoosh, insta flat just like a sew up for a road bike. Luckily, I carried a spare tube so I was good to go after a few minutes work.

mtbr member
    Just got my freehub broken , in my red cobalts. Going to send it to my suplier, so he can send it to CB.´

Does anyone have pictures of the redesigned freehub?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Cobalt Wheels-img_0501b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Next time go for some Industry Nine wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iClique
    Next time go for some Industry Nine wheels!
    But you have to admit they look great on my mojo, but the reliability suck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Cobalt Wheels-24112010107b.jpg  

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by hugobball
    But you have to admit they look great on my mojo, but the reliability suck.
    that pretty much sums it up. if you want to stand there and look at your bike, they're a great choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Hi guys! I'm thinking about getting a set of Cobalt's for my 2010 Yeti asr-5. However I am concerned about them holding up to trail riding. I'm 6' and 225. any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1